Create Account

Gorlab suspension has been appealed.

Quote:Originally posted by KleslaR@Sep 6 2016, 06:42 AM

If that's the case, why the hell does the "Behind The Build" in the Militia locker room say

Code:
"Strength - The higher the stat, less chance to get successfully hit. Limited effect on faceoff. (Affect by Coach)"

"Puck Handling - The higher the stat, less chance to get successfully hit / less chance to lost control of puck / better chance in shot block or shot deflection. Part of decision making formula*."

This is exactly why it should only be up to certain people to put this information out. This is exactly why this stuff needs to be streamlined. Heck, Tanner said that the rules to the league were spread across the entire damn league before he went through it all and compiled them all into one place. I hate how this guide here says that puck handling affects so much then you basically say the opposite. What am I supposed to do in that situation? If I hadn't come here because of the clickbait headline, I probably would have never paid enough attention to strength because this guide says that it definitely doesn't affect everything.

Not everyone has the time or the patience to shift throug the STHS forums to figure out the sim (even if its just a bit) so that they can understand just what the hell each stat does in the sim.
It's not up to just certain people to put information out because in all honesty nobody has any fucking idea outside of what the manual says, and there have been several several times the general consensus of what "should" be a great build has been proven entirely wrong. People can say they know based on what the manual says but that doesn't factor in the randomness of the sim. I've built my player according to what all these knowledgable sim guys have said and see little to no improvement over what I normally build. Don't read too much into what the manual says because I guarantee you, if you do you're going to end up frustrated. The most important attribute in STHS is one we can't update, it's randomness. It's why the number one seed is CONSTANTLY getting knocked out by number 4 seed, mediocre teams are the ones always winning the cups and very few players are consistently at the top of the leaderboards and the others are a revolving door of ransoms. No matter what you do to your build its a crap shoot.

My rookie season I scored 40 points despite only having like 500 TPE. I didn't hit 40 points again for like 7 seasons despite more than doubling my TPE for instance

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

Dibs on Texas Co-GM !

[Image: 0QGickG.png]

Riot Player Page Riot
Militia Update Page Militia

Quote:Originally posted by KleslaR@Sep 6 2016, 04:42 AM

If that's the case, why the hell does the "Behind The Build" in the Militia locker room say

Code:
"Strength - The higher the stat, less chance to get successfully hit. Limited effect on faceoff. (Affect by Coach)"

"Puck Handling - The higher the stat, less chance to get successfully hit / less chance to lost control of puck / better chance in shot block or shot deflection. Part of decision making formula*."

This is exactly why it should only be up to certain people to put this information out. This is exactly why this stuff needs to be streamlined. Heck, Tanner said that the rules to the league were spread across the entire damn league before he went through it all and compiled them all into one place. I hate how this guide here says that puck handling affects so much then you basically say the opposite. What am I supposed to do in that situation? If I hadn't come here because of the clickbait headline, I probably would have never paid enough attention to strength because this guide says that it definitely doesn't affect everything.

Not everyone has the time or the patience to shift throug the STHS forums to figure out the sim (even if its just a bit) so that they can understand just what the hell each stat does in the sim.
There's a man dying here don't you see this...

F

And that's the fun of getting info from the team that drafts you. I like the idea of some people having wrong or just different methods.

[Image: 4sN9yMR.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Merica@Sep 6 2016, 07:38 AM

Where do you value endurance?
It goes mostly in increments. As you can see, it doesn't have a major enough effect. Look at players who play half the game, they don't exactly need 99 endurance to play 30 minutes, and that's mostly because of fatigue being reset every game. There's nothing we can do about that in sim without making durability more important and thus making injuries exist. So while it does matter, it only matters to an extent and isn't extremely important unless you're playing massive 25+ MPG and need it 87-90 then.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@Sep 6 2016, 01:54 PM

It's not up to just certain people to put information out because in all honesty nobody has any fucking idea outside of what the manual says, and there have been several several times the general consensus of what "should" be a great build has been proven entirely wrong. People can say they know based on what the manual says but that doesn't factor in the randomness of the sim. I've built my player according to what all these knowledgable sim guys have said and see little to no improvement over what I normally build. Don't read too much into what the manual says because I guarantee you, if you do you're going to end up frustrated. The most important attribute in STHS is one we can't update, it's randomness. It's why the number one seed is CONSTANTLY getting knocked out by number 4 seed, mediocre teams are the ones always winning the cups and very few players are consistently at the top of the leaderboards and the others are a revolving door of ransoms. No matter what you do to your build its a crap shoot.

My rookie season I scored 40 points despite only having like 500 TPE. I didn't hit 40 points again for like 7 seasons despite more than doubling my TPE for instance

I understand that but at the same time its not fun when the thing is so random because you don't start getting consistent until around 1000 TPE and it takes a LONG TIME to accumulate that much TPE and then by that time, you're probably in season 7-8 and your player will in total last for maybe 10-12 seasons?

And yeah, we'll never truly know because obviously the guy isn't going to tell how the sim works because then he'd lose his intellectual property and there wouldn't be any more point to it. I'm still going to continue building my player but at the same time its not always going to be fun when you feel like you're improving but your player just isn't progressing anywhere because the sim is random.

Quote:Originally posted by ToeDragon84@Sep 6 2016, 02:08 PM

There's a man dying here don't you see this...

[b]F

And that's the fun of getting info from the team that drafts you. I like the idea of some people having wrong or just different methods.[/b]

Sure, it creates variety. The league would be boring as shit if it was clear that a specific build works better than others but its also confusing and frustrating at times.

Quote:Originally posted by KleslaR@Sep 6 2016, 05:09 AM

I understand that but at the same time its not fun when the thing is so random because you don't start getting consistent until around 1000 TPE and it takes a LONG TIME to accumulate that much TPE and then by that time, you're probably in season 7-8 and your player will in total last for maybe 10-12 seasons?

And yeah, we'll never truly know because obviously the guy isn't going to tell how the sim works because then he'd lose his intellectual property and there wouldn't be any more point to it. I'm still going to continue building my player but at the same time its not always going to be fun when you feel like you're improving but your player just isn't progressing anywhere because the sim is random.

A lot depends on your linemates, and team strategies as well.

And I will always be on the SK & EN are important bandwagon, if only because they impact everything to a certain degree

[Image: dZqcwmW.jpg?format=webp&width=710&height=473]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
Argonauts        S77 SHL DRAFT 4TH OVERALL PICK          Argonauts
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

Quote:Originally posted by KleslaR@Sep 6 2016, 07:42 AM

Code:

That's the issue, most people don't use the resources at hand. If I PM'd Jack, or is someone PMs me, it usually may take a couple days, but we give thought out answers to help people. Jack and I discussed all of this over and over. The reason Vidrik was a top-5 player for so long is that he had high strength to not change his percentages, and maintained a healthy spread on the attributes that affected the formula.

But instead of getting a PM saying, how do I build better? What does this mean? Etc. I get only PMs saying how someone thinks they're always right, and they should score more or their build is wrong. Or the occasional, change the sim so I score more, because of course most people don't feel they should change. They want the sim to be straightforward.

Of course you don't need this attribute or that attribute to guarantee a good career. Some players have lower strength and get in the right line and do well. Some players have everything up and the wrong linemates. Sometimes it's a string of bad luck or good luck. It happens. Different attributes help in a lot of different ways. It's hard to build a great player here, but strength is the one attribute I have seen most often help people and be important as possible.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.

Why would anyone be the perfect player with the solution to everything? You're an cog, an imperfect one with strengths and weaknesses, in a machine with 15-20 other oddly mismatched cogs, that's simultaneously fighting another machine with 15-20 oddly mismatched cogs of their own, both lead by GMs that then have to deal with the even trickier dynamic of deciding how to organize those cogs. You can have all the TPE in the world but it doesn't change the fact that everything about what you do on the ice is affected by what the other 11 guys on the ice are trying to do, and are good or bad at doing.

That's exactly how it is in the real world- the difference is those are organizations worth hundreds of millions of dollars with centuries of combined staff experience and institutional memory who get paid to figure out how to build, adjust, and find chemistry in those teams, and we're a bunch of people on an internet forum with a bit of free time. If you found something that worked perfectly all the time (and it'd have to be at both an individual level and a lines organization level), everyone would go straight for the perfect builds, and then we really would have a random crapshoot separated only by player TPE.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by JayWhy@Sep 6 2016, 12:08 PM

It goes mostly in increments. As you can see, it doesn't have a major enough effect. Look at players who play half the game, they don't exactly need 99 endurance to play 30 minutes, and that's mostly because of fatigue being reset every game. There's nothing we can do about that in sim without making durability more important and thus making injuries exist. So while it does matter, it only matters to an extent and isn't extremely important unless you're playing massive 25+ MPG and need it 87-90 then.

Out of interest, how many injuries do you typically see if every player is set to 99 durability, and the injury slider (which I assume there is one) is at 0?

Worst :(

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: qp9sjzw.png] [Image: QPhJjnn.png] [Image: cz7Q1LV.png] [Image: RapExQb.png] [Image: sXGJ3Yn.png]
-----
[Image: aasdAwo.png]

Canada Update Thread | Player Page Canada

Quote:Originally posted by grimreaper@Sep 6 2016, 08:36 AM

Out of interest, how many injuries do you typically see if every player is set to 99 durability, and the injury slider (which I assume there is one) is at 0?
I can try testing that later, the issue being that I'd have to go through every single player in the sim (which can be tough to do since it's not team by team, it's literally every player to exist since S8 or so) and change their durability. So idk how quickly I can test this. I'm busy af and that's a lot of work to test.

Quote:Originally posted by JayWhy@Sep 6 2016, 12:45 PM

I can try testing that later, the issue being that I'd have to go through every single player in the sim (which can be tough to do since it's not team by team, it's literally every player to exist since S8 or so) and change their durability. So idk how quickly I can test this. I'm busy af and that's a lot of work to test.

Ah, I thought there was an option to do a mass change of an attribute. That is a lot of work, just a thought though. Is it possible to uncheck a player's injury if they suffer one during the season? That way any injuries sustained would just be for the game, and they could be removed before the next set of games.

Quote:Originally posted by grimreaper@Sep 6 2016, 08:50 AM

Ah, I thought there was an option to do a mass change of an attribute. That is a lot of work, just a thought though. Is it possible to uncheck a player's injury if they suffer one during the season? That way any injuries sustained would just be for the game, and they could be removed before the next set of games.
Nope. Not without shutting all injuries off for everyone again. It's either everyone could be injured and could be out a whole season with it, or no one can. At least in the digging I've done thus far. I'll try to look further into it. But it appears this is too basic to allow for injuries to get turned off for a specific person like that.

Quote:Originally posted by JayWhy@Sep 6 2016, 02:15 PM

That's the issue, most people don't use the resources at hand. If I PM'd Jack, or is someone PMs me, it usually may take a couple days, but we give thought out answers to help people. Jack and I discussed all of this over and over. The reason Vidrik was a top-5 player for so long is that he had high strength to not change his percentages, and maintained a healthy spread on the attributes that affected the formula.

But instead of getting a PM saying, how do I build better? What does this mean? Etc. I get only PMs saying how someone thinks they're always right, and they should score more or their build is wrong. Or the occasional, change the sim so I score more, because of course most people don't feel they should change. They want the sim to be straightforward.

Of course you don't need this attribute or that attribute to guarantee a good career. Some players have lower strength and get in the right line and do well. Some players have everything up and the wrong linemates. Sometimes it's a string of bad luck or good luck. It happens. Different attributes help in a lot of different ways. It's hard to build a great player here, but strength is the one attribute I have seen most often help people and be important as possible.

It makes sense that its also about lines but then at the same time, if you're building a role player (say a shutdown center who passes a lot but doesn't shoot at all) then you really need to be paired with a pure sniper but then the other guy might not care about that and he also focuses on defense way too much when he should be a role player to fill out the line. There are so many variables to these things.

And is it really worth responding to people who think they're just right and that's it?