Create Account

Last movie you watched thread

[Image: 220px-Bvmovieposter.jpg]

8/10 - A combination of neo-noir, mystery, Lynch, and surrealism, Blue Velvet is an incredible work that is as great as it is odd. In David Lynch films, if something can be weird, it will be weird. This is very much the case in Blue Velvet, especially in scenes with Dennis Hopper, who is incredible here in an entirely unhinged performance. Kyle MacLachlan, Isabella Rossellini, and Laura Dern, are also all really good. Honestly, though this one is weird, I found it to be one of the more straight forward David Lynch films. Sure, there is a lot beneath the surface here that I cannot even begin to understand, but unlike in his other works I have seen, there is a plotline I can follow and understand without having to dive too deep to derive meaning here, which I liked. Though, this one certainly could be a fun one to analyze upon further viewings. Incredibly symbolic (robins, anyone?), Blue Velvet is a brilliantly written and directed piece of work that is incredibly unsettling, but entirely gripping throughout.

[Image: 220px-Adaptation._film.jpg]

6/10 - Adaptation is a brilliant work for the first hour and a half before it goes off the deep end. The writing is immaculate during this former period and works on multiple levels, it really makes you think, really entertains, and feels authentic and real. However, in the last half hour, it all falls apart with a stupid ending that embraces all that the character rails against throughout. I understand the point, I got it. That is not the problem, I can get it and still think it sucks and my God did the ending suck. It not only thought it was smarter than its audience and took self-indulgence to a different level, but it sucked the life out of the film and spit in the face of its audience. I love Charlie Kaufman's writing, but the ending was horrendous and a complete turn off that left me sitting there trying to piece together how a film I was falling in love with just turned its back on me and called me an idiot. Luckily, the acting is fantastic from Nicolas Cage, Meryl Streep, and Chris Cooper, which really boost this one up considerably. Ultimately, Adaptation is a sometimes brilliant work that is great when it respects its audience, but falls apart when it feels it too smart, just like the characters it depicts and would be really well served by, ya know, respecting those who view the film.

[Image: 220px-Amelie_poster.jpg]

8/10 - Fast paced, whimsical, enchanting, and an all around pleasure to watch, Amelie is a little feel good film that you cannot help but watch with a smile on your face. With quick cuts, lively editing, and an all around frenetic pace, Amelie whisks you into the world of Amelie, a lonely girl living outside of Paris. After discovering a small box belonging to a boy 40 years earlier, she seeks out the owner. Eventually, she continues to do nice things for random people, never seeking recognition, but simply wanting to watch a stranger smile and be happy for once. A shining light in a dark world, Amelie also manages to make its audience smile. It is just as funny as it needs to be, but is entirely heart warming throughout. It is also really well made. It is well shot, the colors are so lively and seem to really pop in this film, the direction is strong, and the acting is really good. Overall, Amelie is a fun film straight from France that never ceases to entertain.

[Image: 215px-Unbreakableposterwillis.jpg]

5/10 - This one was largely pretty disappointing. Though it always manage to entertain and it has your attention the whole time, I was never truly impressed by this one. The acting from Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, and Robin Wright, was good, the child actor was terrible though. The premise was really interesting and came along interestingly. Ultimately, this one felt like an origin story for a superhero, so though I almost always against sequels, I am surprised one never arose from this film. Ultimately, this one was alright throughout and was well directed by M. Night Shyamalan, but it was never truly great. The pieces came together interestingly and I was enjoying it enough to give it a better rating, but then the twist ending came and I really started to not like this one. The ending is horrendous and compared to The Sixth Sense where the ending was really quite good, this one just felt forced and stupid. More than that, it felt more far fetched than the whole original premise itself. Really, this one stands as evidence of Shyamalan's eventual demise, as though it is well put together, the unnecessary twist undoes all that was good about the film prior to it. Overall, Unbreakable is a solid film that really does entertain and features some good acting, but the ending is just too bad to forgive and the film prior to the ending is nothing special either.

[Image: 220px-StarWarsMoviePoster1977.jpg]

4/10 - Campy, cheesy, and completely overrated, the first entry into the Star Wars saga shocks me that it has any appeal whatsoever. Where to begin really? Well, the film is horrifically written, in particular the dialogue may be some of the worst I have encountered in a long time. However, the dialogue is not all that is wrong with the script. The characters are also terrible. They have no depth, act irrationally, and have no true purpose seemingly. Things just sort of happen and we, as an audience, are forced to accept that it happened and move along. The characters are also greatly annoying, namely Luke Skywalker (who is whiny as all hell), Chewbacca, and Princess Leia. Truly, these characters only serve to ruin the film. The acting, namely from Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher, is horrific. The story is poorly told and completely uninteresting. In addition, the action sequences are terribly choreographed and damn near comical with how bad they are.

In spite of these many negatives, there are some positives. For one, C-3PO and R2-D2 are adorable little characters who really make the film. They try their hardest to turn around this lost ship with pretty funny dialogue. The writing is terrible throughout, except for when these two speak. They are truly great. The characters of Darth Vader and Obi Wan Kenobi also piqued my interest. Though their encounter in this film is horrendous (again, that fight scene choreography...cringe), they do seem to have some serious potential. The special effects here are also quite good, especially for 1977 (though other films released around the same time, such as 2001: A Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Alien, are leagues better in this category). The score is also incredible and deserves the iconic status it has achieved. Finally, the film, though poorly written and directed, did introduce a very interesting world. While I did not enjoy the storyline or most of the characters, the world introduced here is grand in size and packs considerable potential that makes me oddly excited to watch Episodes V and VI. I still have high hopes that this saga will be enjoyed by me, but sadly, Episode IV is so terribly put together for the most part that I can only sit here and be sorely disappointed.

Age of Ultron, looking forward to the 3rd Avengers :D

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]
[Image: KPt6Yuu.png]

Spangs giving Star Wars a 4/10 is probably the most Spangs thing to ever occur in the history of Spangs.

Never watched Star Wars, never will. Seems like a movie that was groundbreaking at the time and revolutionary for its time but has been done so many times since and unless you've never seen any of those movies Star Wars will just be meh.

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Carl@Jun 8 2015, 10:58 PM
Spangs giving Star Wars a 4/10 is probably the most Spangs thing to ever occur in the history of Spangs.

I'm sorry it's not good.

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@Jun 8 2015, 11:02 PM
Never watched Star Wars, never will. Seems like a movie that was groundbreaking at the time and revolutionary for its time but has been done so many times since and unless you've never seen any of those movies Star Wars will just be meh.

You would think, but no. Acting is timeless. The special effects and story probably need to be appreciated based on time period, but the acting is horrendous no matter the release date.

Quote:Originally posted by Spangle@Jun 8 2015, 07:14 PM

You would think, but no. Acting is timeless. The special effects and story probably need to be appreciated based on time period, but the acting is horrendous no matter the release date.

You don't watch Star Wars for the acting chops just like you don't watch a Jason Statham movie to see him be emotional.

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Josh@Jun 8 2015, 11:18 PM

You don't watch Star Wars for the acting chops just like you don't watch a Jason Statham movie to see him be emotional.

You're correct, but horrendous acting does detract from a film, no matter the point of the movie. And I'm not asking for emotion, I'm asking for believability. I never once believed any of the actors when they said who they were. It was truly painful to watch.

Though, it's not all on the acting. It's tough to have the acting be good when the dialogue is so cringeworthy.

last night bunch of friends and i watched rubber and abc's of death (half of it)

10/10 recommend rubber

Watched Pitch Perfect 2 a bit ago. Pretty funny with a lot of good jokes that imo, would make a lot of people go "woah" - especially SHL's discipline committee (Tis a joke. Good job DC)

Plus, Anna Kendrick. :wub:

Quote:[Image: 220px-Amelie_poster.jpg]

8/10 - Fast paced, whimsical, enchanting, and an all around pleasure to watch, Amelie is a little feel good film that you cannot help but watch with a smile on your face. With quick cuts, lively editing, and an all around frenetic pace, Amelie whisks you into the world of Amelie, a lonely girl living outside of Paris. After discovering a small box belonging to a boy 40 years earlier, she seeks out the owner. Eventually, she continues to do nice things for random people, never seeking recognition, but simply wanting to watch a stranger smile and be happy for once. A shining light in a dark world, Amelie also manages to make its audience smile. It is just as funny as it needs to be, but is entirely heart warming throughout. It is also really well made. It is well shot, the colors are so lively and seem to really pop in this film, the direction is strong, and the acting is really good. Overall, Amelie is a fun film straight from France that never ceases to entertain.

Watched this a long time ago was a great movie I really enjoyed it.

Bout to watch Will Smith's new movie, "Focus". Looked pretty good!

Quote:Originally posted by BANACKOCK@Jun 9 2015, 12:08 AM
Bout to watch Will Smith's new movie, "Focus". Looked pretty good!

Really wanted to watch that. It's in dvd quality online now?

just got back from watching Entourage.. cameos for DAYS in that movie

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]
[Image: KPt6Yuu.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Leonidas@Jun 8 2015, 10:10 PM

Really wanted to watch that. It's in dvd quality online now?
Yeah man. YIFY uploaded a his usual 720 and 1080 bluray versions a bit ago!