Create Account

Last movie you watched thread

Thanks LastOlympian! Glad you guys like it so much. Smile And yes, Chouinard for HOF for sure. Such a snub, haha.

If you guys like these reviews, I'd hope you would also enjoy my blog: http://movieswithkevin27.tumblr.com/

I don't post reviews, but (aside from some recent stuff) largely analyze different films for their ideologies, messaging, etc. Examples can be found in this specific link: http://movieswithkevin27.tumblr.com/tagged/film-analysis

Thanks guys and I'll definitely keep up my posting here. Smile

Quote:Originally posted by Spangle@Jan 17 2016, 09:37 PM
Thanks LastOlympian! Glad you guys like it so much. Smile And yes, Chouinard for HOF for sure. Such a snub, haha.

If you guys like these reviews, I'd hope you would also enjoy my blog: http://movieswithkevin27.tumblr.com/

I don't post reviews, but (aside from some recent stuff) largely analyze different films for their ideologies, messaging, etc. Examples can be found in this specific link: http://movieswithkevin27.tumblr.com/tagged/film-analysis

I miss Music spangs :(

but i bookmarked this ish

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Quote:Originally posted by JayTee@Jan 18 2016, 01:46 AM

I miss Music spangs :(

but i bookmarked this ish

I'm honored. It just took too much time with writing music stuff. I stopped enjoying it. I needed to take a break. I might get back into it though eventually.

Quote:Originally posted by Spangle@Jan 17 2016, 09:56 PM

I'm honored. It just took too much time with writing music stuff. I stopped enjoying it. I needed to take a break. I might get back into it though eventually.

Have you checked out the Anderson .Paak album?

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Quote:Originally posted by JayTee@Jan 18 2016, 02:03 AM

Have you checked out the Anderson .Paak album?

I have not, but I will now that you mention it.

Quote:Originally posted by Spangle@Jan 17 2016, 09:37 PM

really big snub. I wrote about it once last year in real time haha.

but yes i rather enjoy these. sometimes when i get bored i come in here just to kill some time reading Tongue i mostly enjoy them, but what you said about Up made me sad Aggrieved

Took my little brother to see Star Wars since he wanted to go, was the first Star Wars movie I've ever seen, in theaters or otherwise. I'm familiar with the general story but without watching them it's obviously not possible to get everything so I definitely feel as though some of the stuff went over my head (one example being ***Spoiler? Idk if this is a spoiler or not? When they find the millennium falcon, i knew about the Millennium Falcon but until Han directly said it was the Falcon i had no idea)

I really enjoyed the movie, it was very well made and acted and the lore for that world is just so vast it's unreal, this movie gave me a respect for the franchise I didn't previously have from not watching any of them, but I won't be going back to watch the first 6 because I don't think they'd hold up after watching the newest one. I will be seeing the new ones as they come out now though Smile

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

Re-watched American Psycho after reading the book. The book honestly blows the movie out of the water. That makes sense though considering the book goes pretty heavily into Bateman's psyche

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by Buster@Jan 18 2016, 08:54 AM
Re-watched American Psycho after reading the book. The book honestly blows the movie out of the water. That makes sense though considering the book goes pretty heavily into Bateman's psyche
Is the book as open to interpretation as the movie or does it give any definitive answers?

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@Jan 18 2016, 09:36 AM

Is the book as open to interpretation as the movie or does it give any definitive answers?

Book is really open to interpretation. Bateman is an unreliable narrator.

One of the best open to interpretation moments is there a chapter that just kinda ends mid paragraph in the heat of the story. One of the many cool concepts in the book

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by Buster@Jan 18 2016, 09:56 AM

Book is really open to interpretation. Bateman is an unreliable narrator.

One of the best open to interpretation moments is there a chapter that just kinda ends mid paragraph in the heat of the story. One of the many cool concepts in the book
Yeah the movie itself is open ended as hell so I imagine the book would do that even better, might have to pick it up because I definitely loved the movie

Watching the movie "Dope"

I don't know if I saw it on your list but its worth checking out

[Image: vk6rzYl.jpg]

[Image: 220px-Cloud_Atlas_Poster.jpg]

8/10 - Cloud Atlas is a really impressive work from the Wachowskis that is incredibly deep philosophically and incredibly expansive as a film. Featuring numerous different time periods and the same actors playing different characters (but not really), Cloud Atlas is wonderfully directed and though it takes a bit of adjusting to, if you are willing to go with the film, it is quite enjoyable. An interesting film that touches on thoughts of reincarnation, our purpose in life, karma, and the importance of our actions, Cloud Atlas is wildly ambitious. Most certainly a film I will need to watch again, the cast in its entirety is fantastic. Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving, Jim Sturgess, Doona Bae, Ben Whishaw, Susan Sarandon, and Hugh Grant, in particular are all fantastic. Every actor plays a variety of roles, which makes the film that much more compelling and also gives them all some extra chances to show off their great skill. Overall, Cloud Atlas is incredibly long and can drag at times, but never becomes boring and is, above all, a wildly inventive and compelling piece of philosophy that is worthy of further study.

[Image: 220px-The_Overnight_%28poster%29.jpg]

3/10 - Odd and incredibly unpredictable, there is nothing wrong with the characterization of the characters here and the casting is perfect. Jason Schwartzman in particular stands out as a perfect fit for his role and is truly odd and kind of funny. However, what The Overnight has in pure oddity and plot twists, it lacks in comedy. Labeled a comedy, it is never funny and all of the jokes fall flat entirely. There are a few times I chuckled, but not very many, which is problematic. In spite of that, the film is really entertaining so even if it not my cup of tea, it never steers into unwatchable territory. Overall, The Overnight commits many mortal sins, of which the worst may be it being entirely unfunny.

[Image: 220px-Southpaw_poster.jpg]

7/10 - Is Southpaw cliched and generic? Yes. It is your typical boxing movie. If you do not like boxing movies and sports movies in general, you will not like Southpaw. However, though I find the sports cliches boring, I do greatly enjoy boxing movies and Southpaw is no exception. A brilliant blending of the boxing subgenre and melodrama, Southpaw effectively provokes your emotions throughout and really gets you going. Honestly, I felt like I wanted to go out and box somebody after watching this film, which is a great feeling. Though generic, Southpaw has a really great cinematic quality to it that I can only describe as "movie magic". It really lights a fire under you and inspires you to get on out there. However, it is imperfect. Aside from being cliched, Southpaw hints at some other subplots that it never really explores, making you wonder why the heck they were there to begin with. Fortunately, the direction from Antoine Fuqua is electric and really picks up where the script slacks off and, even better, Jake Gyllenhaal is phenomenal. Honestly, in a career full of great performances, this has to be up there for him. He is truly entrancing as Billy Hope and really captures the true essence of the character perfectly. You are rooting for him at the same time you recognize that he is incredibly troubled. Forest Whitaker is also very good here. Overall, Southpaw is your stereotypical boxing movie, but I happen to like boxing movies, so I really liked it even if it is cliche.

[Image: 220px-Mississppi_Grind_Poster.jpg]

7/10 - Mississippi Grind is a incredibly well-acted and truly engrossing character study that is simply held back by some irregularities and subtle nature. As with all character studies and road movies, I am held back from truly loving Mississippi Grind. There is something about road movies I do not love and this one is no exception. However, as a look at gambling and addiction, Mississippi Grind has a major problem; how did this duo fund everything? It is largely left a mystery until it is convenient for it not to be. Regardless, Mississippi Grind is very well-acted from Ben Mendelsohn and Ryan Reynolds, who are perfect for their roles and have great chemistry with one another. Overall, Mississippi Grind is a small, grounded road movie that is compelling and a great look at gambling, poker, and addiction, as well as a look into the lives of two compelling individuals.

[Image: 220px-Cinderella_2015_official_poster.jpg]

8/10 - You may know the story, but that does not prevent Kenneth Branagh's take on Cinderella from being anything less than a truly magical and wonderful experience. Featuring a lush and beautiful score, phenomenal costume design, breathtaking art direction, tremendous special effects, and wonderful cinematography, Cinderella is an elegant fairy tale for the whole family. Branagh knows how direct a good adaptation and does so once more with his take on Cinderella. Though it does not diverge from the original story at all, the film is still a compelling take thanks to the fantastic technical aspects and great performances from Lily James, Richard Madden, and Cate Blanchett. Ultimately, you will either like or not like Cinderella. If you do not enjoy the source material, odds are you will not like the live action version either. However, if you are willing to believe in magic, then Cinderella will hopefully fulfill your wishes and deliver that magical experience you crave.

[Image: 220px-Blackhat_poster.jpg]

7/10 - Blackhat is quite generic when it comes to following the action-thriller formula, plus it has a shoehorned in romance subplot that is completely useless to the story. That aside, it is still a good film. Michael Mann's films are odd to me in the sense that (aside from Heat), I do not love any of them. They are good to very good, but I am not in love with him as a director. However, I do like all of his films. Why? As exemplified in Blackhat, they are visually stunning. This film looks like a Michael Mann directed film with some killer cinematography, great lighting, and Mann's typical visual style. A timely an exciting, even if far-fetched, plot surrounds the stunning visuals and it most certainly entertains and thrills along the way. People tend to really not like this film (as evidenced by a 34% approval rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes and 24% from the audience), but I really enjoyed Blackhat. If you love Mann's visual style, as exemplified mainly in films such as Collateral and Miami Vice, then Blackhat is the film for you.

[Image: 220px-Temple_Hill_Entertainment_-_Paper_Towns.png]

4/10 - Paper Towns is kind of a funny little flick. It screams teenaged philosopher and is a film that thinks it knows more than it really does. Yet, it does offer some interesting insights on relationships (both romantic and friends) and has a compelling plot that is fun to follow along with. However, it is aggressively average all the same. The film is decently cast and has the occasional moment of brilliance from a filmmaking standpoint, but is like an agglomeration of every other teenage film ever. Paper Towns tries to get its viewer to leaves their comfort zone. To avoid the ordinary and become extraordinary. Tragically, the film ignores its own advice as it shamelessly borrows from prior coming of age dramedies aimed at teenagers. Even more, the story is largely quite ludicrous and far-fetched (how did these kids have access to this much cash), which also serves to hold the film back. Now, it is quite charming and a good time even it is quite typical. For a film that is largely derivative of past works, it needs to offer something new or just have enough pizzazz and power to overcome its generic nature, but Paper Towns does not do this. For fans of the genre, Paper Towns should satisfy. For everyone else, Paper Towns will likely just be a mildly fun way to spend almost two hours.

[Image: 220px-The_Lobster.jpg]

7/10 - The Lobster has laid immediate claim to being one of the weirdest films I have ever seen. Wowzers this one is an odd little flick, yet is certainly brilliant at times. Colin Farrell and Rachel Weisz are phenomenal in both emotionally intimate and distant roles (you have to see to understand), while the direction from Yorgos Lanthimos is assured and very good. Under the watch of a lesser talent, The Lobster would be a complete mess. Under Lanthimos, however, it is a fantastically enjoying film. From being a great look at romance in the modern era, being truly funny, and moving, The Lobster's only sin is the great amount of violence against animals. This is not really a cinematic critique, but I do not really appreciate that amount of violence against animals, particularly dogs. Call me a prude, but not my thing. Regardless, The Lobster is still a great film that is wildly entertaining and shows just how quirky and downright weird film can get.

[Image: 220px-Suffragette_poster.jpg]

7/10 - Suffragette has its fair share of issues. As it argues in favor of women's voting rights and equality as a whole, it is astounding to me that some of its major female characters were fictitious. Our protagonist is a fictitious character. Where there really no women worthy of having the film centered around them? I find that hard to believe. This, along with some other liberties taken, hold it back a bit to me. However, fortunately, there was more than enough to outweigh that. The direction from Sarah Gavron is great and the film is very well paced and never really drags, which is a major plus. In fact, for a historical drama, the film is truly thrilling at times. However, the main reason I truly enjoyed Suffragette is Carey Mulligan. She was phenomenal and a truly turned in one of the year's best performances. She was extraordinary and truly delivered a commanding and powerful performance as the fictional Maud Watts. The film also did a great job portraying everything these women gave up in their battle, namely their families. That is a level of sacrifice that has to be respected. Overall, Suffragette is an inspiring and powerful film that I wish was grounded with more historical facts and less interpretation and alteration, but was nonetheless a very good and very well made film.

Quote:Originally posted by Rowe89@Jan 23 2016, 12:16 AM
Watching the movie "Dope"

I don't know if I saw it on your list but its worth checking out

I reviewed it on the last page. Really good movie!

[Image: 220px-Theatrical_poster_of_Lazer_Team.jpg]

Personal Rating: 10/10 as an RT fan. 8/10 as a movie-goer.

It may not have been perfect, there were some little things that were odd about it. Sometimes the jokes didn't seem to land as well as they'd obviously hoped, or the script just made it a bit too simple. They managed to keep from catering to long-time fans though, only having little cuts to employees and background in-jokes that every production company has while focusing primarily on creating a whole new story for new fans to enjoy. The beginning of the film was a bit slow, them just kind of showing all the people and introducing them and it made it seem pretty corny in some ways. It didn't take long for things to really pick up though, and it picked up great. It was absolutely a great movie to myself, and something I plan to watch over and over.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE