Create Account

Last movie you watched thread

[Image: 220px-Batman_v_Superman_poster.jpg]

SPOILERS THROUGHOUT
3/10 - It is hard to place my finger on what Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice truly is as a film. Before I begin tearing it apart scene-by-scene, let me state the positives. The acting is phenomenal. Jeremy Irons, Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Laurence Fishburne, Henry Cavill, Jesse Eisenberg, and Amy Adams, are all very, very good here. The film's score is terrific. The sound in the film is great as well. IMAX is the best way to view this one and truly get the full sound experience. Additionally, it is greatly entertaining. Immediately after leaving the theater, I was tricked into thinking I liked it more than I did because the film truly feels epic and the film has the weight and entertainment level it desperately needed. It is a truly cinematic experience that needs to be experienced in theaters, even if I think the movie is bad. As with all Zack Snyder films, the film's look and feel is incredible. It looks gorgeous and really is a visual splendor. Finally, Superman's best scene here is when he lands in a crowd of people after saving a child in Juarez. The people all crowd around just to touch him. Brilliantly chill inducing scene.

Now the spoiler packed negatives. The film runs two and a half hours and is way overlong. There are so many filler scenes it is incredible. For example, the four dream sequences are idiotic. Having, I think, the Flash tell Batman in a dream that "Lois Lane is the key" is pointless and does nothing here. Plus, why is the Flash here already? Wonder Woman watches videos of the other Justice League members for nearly 3-5 minutes right before the climax of the damn movie. Is that some sick joke? It is almost like Zack Snyder has a blue balls fetish and figured his audience did too. The film opens with Batman's origin story, yet the audience already knows it and it is largely inconsequential (except for one stupid scene that needed to be reworked anyways). The entirety of the trial in the film can be cut out. The bombing at the capitol building is quickly forgotten and the throngs of people who hate Superman and thinks he needs to be brought to justice are swiftly forgotten when he dies and everybody loves him again in five seconds. The same happens with Batman. He hates Superman for the destruction he caused in Man of Steel, yet he finds out their mothers share the same name (yep) and that Superman is trying to save his mom from Lex Luther, so he decides to team up with him and become friends. What a serious cop out. There is a dream sequence in which Superman speaks with his dead father and it adds nothing to the movie. Also, Batman walks past the graffitied outfit of Robin here as he does in the trailer, but it has no point in the movie. He glances at it and moves on quite quickly.

Speaking of Lex Luther, Eisenberg does a great job, but I have no idea what his point is. He hates Superman and wants to get his hands on kryptonite to kill him for some reason. Oh and he wants him to fight Batman for....what? So that way the movie sells more tickets? Maybe to get rid of the only other person who would stop him, but I still have no idea why he hates Superman. Then he creates Doomsday, but has no way of controlling what he does and for some guy who is portrayed as being really smart, he is really dumb. Speaking of poorly constructed characters, what an abomination Lois Lane is. As with Man of Steel, she just follows the plot and almost dies repeatedly, only for Superman to save her. Just let her die at this point.

They kill Superman here, but let you know he's alive at the end because, well, how can you just kill Superman like that amirite? The plot keeps moving, but only begrudgingly. For a film that is too long, it really could have stood to be longer. The editing is incoherent and scenes are just thrown together because, well, why not. If this is really the version of the film we are getting and nothing will be cut, then something seriously needed to be added to give characters more depth and for me to just better understand what happened beneath all the Justice League hype up nonsense. Why does Lex Luther do anything here? The tragic answer is because he needs to in order for the rest of the movie to happen, even if it motivations are unclear.

Most egregiously, the religious symbolism is off the charts. There is literally a shot where Superman extends his arms and tilts his head like Christ on the cross. The the number of crucifixes is off the charts. This is no Superman. This is a Bible adaptation and Henry Cavill plays Jesus Christ. Seriously. Watch the movie and tell me otherwise.

Overall, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is a mess. Incoherent noisy nonsense that demands a change in direction. Zack Snyder is clearly enthusiastic about the material, but has no idea how to realize his dream film here. Instead, we get this mish mash of, possibly, three different movies. Yep, seriously. That said, Gadot is so good that Wonder Woman will be a must watch in 2017. Disappointing, yet fun.

[Image: 250px-The_Imitation_Game_poster.jpg]

8/10 - It is almost always a challenge to wring excitement and drama out of a real life story. Yet, The Imitation Game does it with quiet assurance and ease. Director Morten Tyldum continues to demonstrate his skill in the director's chair here, though the real stars are Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley, who are simply delightful in the lead roles. Cumberbatch embodies Alan Turing and turns in an emotionally devastating and touching performance that shows both the uniqueness and brilliance of the man, while also accurately portraying the injustice he faced. The Imitation Game is a very well-written film that is a very moving and thrilling experience that encapsulates Alan Turing, his accomplishments, and his struggles. Overall, The Imitation Game is a very good film that operates both as a good biopic and a good drama.

[Image: 220px-Clouds_of_Sils_Maria_film_poster.png]

8/10 - Clouds of Sils Maria is a very good film from Olivier Assayas with fantastic acting, a compelling story, and beautiful cinematography. Juliette Binoche, Kristen Stewart, and Chloe Grace Moretz, are all phenomenal here and turn in great performances. Stewart was my personal favorite, though the against type performance from Moretz was really interesting and well done. The story is very dense, but can be boiled down to being about an aging woman having a relationship with a younger woman, after having the shoe be on the other foot when she was younger. Now that she is older, she struggles to grapple with this age and the shoe being on the other foot, due to her own approach to the relationship when she was younger. In this way, the film is a compelling look at aging, both on stage and in life, and at relationships of all kinds. Finally, the cinematography is fantastic. The film has repeated gratuitous shots of landscapes in the Swiss alps and thank God for that because is pure eye candy. The cinematography in non-landscape scenes is also great though and that point cannot be understated. Clouds of Sils Maria is a great little film that really deserves more attention from film lovers due its well-written and well-directed approach to its subjects.

[Image: 220px-Deux_jours%2C_une_nuit_poster.jpg]

8/10 - Two Days, One Night is an entirely human experience and an exercise in compassion and empathy. Featuring a stirring lead performance from Marion Cotillard, the film is excellently written and directed by the Dardenne brothers. A subtle, flow of life type film, the movie really manages to hit home, even when our protagonist faces resistance. An entirely difficult choice is presented to each character in the film and the film does a great job portraying a fair and balanced look at that question. The film manages to also be a very good look at depression, as well as being quite thrilling. Real life drama has never been so thrilling before, yet this one has you on the edge of your seat waiting to see the outcome and how our characters will react. Overall, Two Days, One Night is a great film that is an ode to compassion and helping your neighbor.

[Image: 220px-Jesus_of_Montreal_FilmPoster.jpeg]

8/10 - Jesus of Montreal is a great film and a very compelling take on Christ in modern times. In many respects, the film argues that Christ can arise from anyone and anywhere, which is an interesting way to look at it. The acting is very good and I loved the unique method of heavily utilizing the play within a film angle. The acting is very good and I loved the writing and direction of the film. It is also very well lit with the appropriate lighting in each scene and it really magnifies the poignant movies quite well. Overall, Jesus of Montreal is a really profound experience that also manages to be quite funny at times, which is a nice balance with the spiritually poignant elements.

[Image: 220px-Phoenix_%282014_film%29_POSTER.jpg]

8/10 - This is the first film I have seen by Christian Petzold and what an introduction. Nina Hoss is revolutionary in Petzold's post-WWII drama thriller Phoenix. The film is a borderline haunting experience that thrives on subtlety, exemplified by Hoss' performance. The film has been described by others as being a bit of a noir film and this is most certainly true, but more than the mystery element here, for me is the drama. Phoenix is a film that rips your heart out as you watch this woman realize what has happened in the aftermath of her being sent to a concentration camp. Though Holocaust films are almost overdone at this point, Phoenix manages to breathe a breath of fresh air into this subset of films. Phoenix is deeply affecting and really rips your heart out repeatedly as you watch this woman grapple with the fact that her life is changed forever.

[Image: 220px-Bringing_out_the_dead.jpg]

5/10 - I did not love Bringing Out the Dead. A compelling character study, the film simply does not resolve enough about its premise to be a truly good film. The whole film builds up to something and the pay-off, if it is there, is so not worth it. It does not deserve the low audience score it has on Metacritic, though I would attribute that to some weird bot based on the amount of negativity compared to the positive reviews. It is really well done and the acting across the board, especially Ving Rhames, is very good. It is well-written and all that, minus the ending. Another problem I had here was with the editing. I typically love the editing in Scorsese's work, but here, it feels quite disjointed and downright odd at times. Overall, Bringing Out the Dead is an oddly put together and somewhat incomplete work from a master director.

[Image: 220px-Moviepostercoldinjuly.jpg]

8/10 - Cold in July is a fantastic crime thriller from director Jim Mickie with outstanding performances from Michael C. Hall and Sam Shephard. Mickie does a great job wringing tension out of the premise and the end result is that the viewer is constantly on pins and needles awaiting the next twist the film is going to take. Once you think you have a grasp on where the film is headed, it frequently pulls the rug out from under you and changes course yet again. The film is incredibly detailed, right down to the different filters on the film, which transition from blue to gold to red in the film. It is really the defining factor in why this film has really fantastic look. The cinematography ain't too shabby either though. Overall, Cold in July is not perfect, but it is the exact kind of film that crime thriller fans are looking for and, beyond that, it is incredibly well crafted and is one that will definitely stick with you for a bit.

[Image: 220px-Seeking_a_Friend_for_the_End_of_th...Poster.jpg]

8/10 - Seeking a Friend for the End of the World is a fantastic film. Steve Carell and Keira Knightley are absolutely irresistibly delightful here. The film as a whole is very well put together and a really funny and authentic look at how the world would react to the end of the world: poorly. The characters act as if they are trying to cram their entire life into the time they have, which to me, makes complete sense. I have no idea how else people would respond. However, where the film is truly a resounding success is in the touching elements: romance and reconciliation. Sure, it is anything but original, but is deeply affecting all the same and really hits home. This film handles the blend of doom, romance, and comedy, quite well without becoming too jarring in one direction or the other. Overall, it is not the most challenging film ever made, but is one that plants an infectious smile on your face.

[Image: 220px-Skyfall_poster.jpg]

8/10 - Skyfall is truly phenomenal. Daniel Craig gives an assured performance as James Bond, Judi Dench is fantastic as usual as M, Ralph Fiennes is great, and Javier Bardem is thoroughly evil. Even more, the villain is well-crafted and ties nicely into Bond's train of thought at the time. The direction from Sam Mendes is typically great and adds an artistic flair to the giant spy franchise. The film also sports some absolutely breathtaking cinematography, especially in the final fight scene (which is also very well choreographed). Roger Deakins is an absolute legend and it shows here with the color scheme, lighting, and general shot composition. The film is certainly the best Craig Bond film and also happens to be one of the more compelling and well made spy films I have seen in a long while. Finally, the music here is great, especially Adele's "Skyfall", which I already knew was great, but was that much better in the film. Overall, Skyfall is not perfect and has some faults, but it is incredibly well put together and a thoroughly entertaining affair.

[Image: 220px-Galaxy_Quest_poster.jpg]

8/10 - I never expected to like this one as much as I did, but here we are. Galaxy Quest is everything a satirical film needs to be and expertly mocks sci-fi films such as Star Trek, while also providing unique entertainment of its own. Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony Shalhoub, Sam Rockwell, and Justin Long, are all very good here and turn in equally hysterical performances. From beginning to end, Galaxy Quest is incredibly funny poking fun not only at the genre, but also at acting, fan bases, and Hollywood as a whole. Even better, it is not necessary to watch the films it spoofs here because the themes and jokes are easily accessible regardless. Overall, Galaxy Quest is a very entertaining and smartly made satire.

[Image: 220px-Catching-Fire_poster.jpg]

3/10 - Here is a sequel that lives up to the hype of the original. The Hunger Games: Saving Peeta is a worthy sequel to a really awful first installment. Equally as bad, this sequel features terrible acting, even worse writing, and a stupidly inane plot that shows Katniss rebelling against everyone she encounters and pouting for two and a half hours. Before I go further, Liam Hemsworth is a horrifically bad actor. Whew lad does he ever suck. The film is an entirely grating experience featuring the weirdo hair designs of the first film. Even worse though, it strands its actors in a hopeless wasteland of ineptitude that even the best actor would struggle to find success in. Ultimately, this feels more like a bloody version of Gossip Girl than it does a truly engaging dystopian science fiction film, which I feel like is not the goal. The dialogue is cringe-inducing and falls flat nearly 100% of the time. The ending is telegraphed from the start, so when it finally happens, you are left to roll your eyes and thank God it is over. Overall, Catching Fire is a bad movie that does have good special effects, but fails in every other arena. If this film were in the Hunger Games, it would be die second. The original would die first.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I agree so much with the BvS review. I hated the whole mother thing AND those like 10 scenes in under 10 minutes when Superman is supposedly dead and they are all mourning him and then he isn't dead.

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Quote:Originally posted by JayTee@Apr 4 2016, 11:32 AM
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I agree so much with the BvS review. I hated the whole mother thing AND those like 10 scenes in under 10 minutes when Superman is supposedly dead and they are all mourning him and then he isn't dead.
I agree with both of you. This movie had so much going on that anyone who didn't know comics at least 50% had no clue who some people were or why they did anything. The acting was great, but the writing was awful because the characters motivations and their actions didn't match what they are. It had a few great scenes, and I loved the action at the end, but I was left saying "What's the point? Why is this happening?" just too many times. The way I was able to describe it to a friend was that it's DC's take on Amazing Spider-Man 2, stuff it full of useless things to try and 'build a universe' but it takes away from the movie here because of it.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

Quote:Originally posted by JayWhy@Apr 4 2016, 11:50 AM

I agree with both of you. This movie had so much going on that anyone who didn't know comics at least 50% had no clue who some people were or why they did anything. The acting was great, but the writing was awful because the characters motivations and their actions didn't match what they are. It had a few great scenes, and I loved the action at the end, but I was left saying "What's the point? Why is this happening?" just too many times. The way I was able to describe it to a friend was that it's DC's take on Amazing Spider-Man 2, stuff it full of useless things to try and 'build a universe' but it takes away from the movie here because of it.

SPOILERS

It hurts because I think this could have been a great movie, but it clearly needed to come later on in the DCEU. Maybe after Justice League, kinda like Civil War coming after two Avenger films, 3 Iron Mans, and 2 Captain Americas. It laid the groundwork to why the two of them fighting is emotionally impactful. Here, it meant practically nothing and amounted to nothing. The film built up to something it ended after five minutes anyways.

Quote:Originally posted by O4L@Mar 28 2016, 01:05 AM

They also gave Peter Jackson almost zero prep time after Del Toro quit. I think if he had more time to plan everything out then the films would have been a lot better. LOTR felt like so much care was put into adapting what they did from the books and pretty much everything about the Hobbit feels rushed to me. Obviously stretching the book into 3 movies was dumb (think 2 would of been a lot better in terms of making the films even) but I think they still could have made it work while keeping what makes the Hobbit great had Jackson had more time.

I also wish they hadn't made the movies so much about CGI, one of the great things about LOTR is how everything felt real so real from the costumes to the sets. Shit like the goblins and wargs in the Hobbit look so much worse than they did in LOTR. I understand its faster to do it this way but CGI will never look as good as the real thing.

ofer stop copying me

Been a while, so big update...

[Image: 220px-Lars_real_girl.jpg]

8/10 - Lars and the Real Girl is a truly interesting and compelling film that offers an entirely painful and authentic look at mental illness. Even better, it never truly mocks its protagonist and chooses to instead force the audience to feel sympathy and embrace him for who he truly is. Ryan Gosling gives a fantastic performance in the lead role as the disconnected and certainly ill Lars. Emily Mortimer and Paul Schneider are also both very good here in their roles. The film's writing feels incredibly real and never exploitative and honestly rips your heart out as frequently as it makes you feel physical pain with how awkward and sad some of the scenes are. The film is very well-written with all of the characters quite well fleshed out and very, again, authentic. Everybody feels real and nobody feels like some character written for a film. Instead, they feel like real people with real problems. Overall, Lars and the Real Girl is a very good film with a lot of heart that will certainly touch yours.

[Image: 220px-High_Fidelity_poster.jpg]

7/10 - High Fidelity is a give and a take. More give than take, though. Stephen Frears delivers discrete direction here. I had no idea it was his film. John Cusack is great, but his character is annoying prick who falls into a good life. Yet, the film does enough to show us there is more to him that explains his actions. The characterization here is very well done and very in-depth. Additionally, his development is very well done and his progression through the film is well handled. There are quite a few unrealistic scenes that hold the film back, but this film is quite well-written and has a ton of heart and will leave you with an infectious smile. Additionally, it has a lot of interesting and accurate commentary on guys of this nature. Jack Black also turns in a fantastic and energetic performance here in a film that, while offering social commentary, is also infused with classic music that really plays well into the infectious nature of the film. Overall, High Fidelity is an unconventional coming of age type film that has a ton of heart and, though imperfect, will leave you smiling.

[Image: 220px-Night_of_the_Living_Dead_affiche.jpg]

8/10 - Night of the Living Dead seems incredibly cheesy and, at times, funny nowadays, but in spite of this, its influence and pure terror still live on. The film may be a bit over the top at times, but make no mistake, it can still get to you quite easily and does a job building and maintaining tension. Additionally, there is a major race element here that is also way ahead of its time and is interesting to see the parallels Romero draws between this situation and the one facing the country. The film also has pretty good effects and is incredibly well made given its miniscule budget. All-around, Night of the Living Dead is a certified classic.

[Image: Intruders_movie_poster.jpg]

5/10 - Intruders is not particularly bad and is actually frustratingly disappointing. The acting is pretty solid, especially from Clive Owen. The special effects are solid and the premise is incredibly chilling. Heck, it even delivers a couple of times on the horror front. However, it confuses itself by blending reality and the dream world far too often and undoes itself repeatedly. The film honestly seems to be arguing against itself repeatedly. In this way, it undid some of the scarier scenes, though some live on in a new and terrifying fashion. Ultimately, Intruders is not particularly bad, just aggressively average. It is your run-of-the-mill horror film and will deliver chills and thrills, but also make you scratch your head.

[Image: 220px-Lucky_Number_Slevin_Theater_Poster.JPG]

5/10 - Lucky Number Slevin is a clever little crime thriller that really does a good job hooking you in and keeping you guessing. It ties everything together quite nicely and is a really, really tight film. The acting from Josh Hartnett, Morgan Freeman, Bruce Willis, Ben Kingsley, Lucy Liu, and Stanley Tucci, are all solid. Additionally, the writing is quite good for the most part. The characters and their place in this neo-noir type film are all quite clear and compelling. However, the undoing of Lucky Number Slevin is two-fold: one, exposition. Nobody needs this much exposition. Christopher Nolan would leave this film thinking, "Wow that was a lot of exposition". That is how much of this stuff there is. While needed, obviously, it is not needed to the level found here. Additionally, the film literally walks you through the plot at the end. Any audience is not that stupid. Here, it has to be explained to you because the film did not think you could handle it without having it spoon fed to you. Thus, this is the first time you are seeing most of it. Even worse though, this piece of the film practically undoes the characterizations of the prior 3/4ths of the film. The audience is smarter than this film wants to admit. Though I said it is two-fold, I am reminded of a few more problems that are inherent here, namely how homophobic it is. Holy cow I have not seen a film this homophobic in a while. That said, it is quite entertaining and is a well made crime thriller, both of which help elevate it (slightly) above its faults.

[Image: 220px-Princess_bride.jpg]

7/10 - An incredibly fun and still impressively fresh and unique take on the romantic comedy and fairy tale genres, The Princess Bride is a true crowd pleaser. Funny, adventurous, and romantic, there are not many demographics that are missed here. Incredibly well-written and quite well-directed by Rob Reiner. The film's pacing is quite assured and could be well-advised to cool off a bit, especially in the beginning, but it is never truly a glaring problem. Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Mandy Patinkin, Andre the Giant, and especially Billy Crystal are all great and turn in hilariously over-the-top performances. The sequence with Crystal stands out as the best in the film due to its comedic elements. On that note, the film is not quite as funny as I anticipated, but is very, very funny all the same. It expertly blends this comedy with a captivating adventure tale and a very touching and well-crafted romance fitting for its fairy tale approach. Overall, The Princess Bride is a classic for a reason and it is not hard to find out why: charm.

[Image: 220px-Eye_in_the_Sky_2015_film_poster.jpg]

8/10 - Director Gavin Hood delivers a fantastically poignant and thorough examination of the decision making behind drone warfare, as well as the ethics of the system we currently live with. Helen Mirren, Alan Rickman, Aaron Paul, and Barkhad Abdi, turn in very good performances here in this contemplative war thriller. Incredibly uncompromising, Eye in the Sky's dedication to showing you the unseen human element of warfare and the emotional turmoil it can cause is exemplary and commendable. Far too often, war films will avoid this exploration of human emotion and pain, instead focusing on action sequences. This is not the case at all with Eye in the Sky as it consistently considers the human aspect here and not just for the people behind the drones, but also the people on the ground who live near drone targets. In this way, Eye in the Sky has to be one of the better war films of recent memory. While not the best one of all-time, Eye in the Sky certainly ranks up there with the most emotionally damaging and haunting experiences I have had watching a war film. For this, Eye in the Sky truly is a winner. Incredibly dramatic, thrilling, and moving, it is a powerhouse of a film that feels like a punch to the gut.

[Image: 220px-Men_in_Black_II_Poster.jpg]

6/10 - Men in Black II is a fun and entertaining little sci-fi comedy romp, but just feels far too generic and typical to resonate. Even more, it is not even fresh at this point, given the existence of the original. If the original did not exist, this one would be far better because there is nothing particularly wrong here. The aliens are well designed, the acting is fine, the dog is hysterical, and the plot is compelling, but it feels incredibly by-the-books and safe. For this, it never becomes extraordinary or even particularly good. Men in Black II winds up being an easily digestible film that is entertaining and funny, but brings nothing unique to the table. This ultimately hurts the film and the overall product, though I certainly enjoyed this.

[Image: 220px-Take_This_Waltz_%28film%29_poster_art.jpg]

3/10 - Starring a truly insufferable protagonist, Take This Waltz is just a truly aggravating experience. While the acting is fine, the writing feels like it was written by a 10-year old who just discovered sex and thought this script was a good idea. The film is the grating kind of indie cinema that believes it is offering interesting insights into a certain topic, but is actually offering absolutely nothing of value. Here, the topic is marriage and infidelity. Tragically for Take This Waltz, these topics have been broached by better, less annoying films. While authentically written and well acted by Michelle Williams and Seth Rogen, this is simply an unpleasant experience all-around. Never quite as insightful as it thinks it is, Take This Waltz is that awful kind of indie film that shows quite expertly why a bad blockbuster is better than a bad indie film any day of the week. Boring and annoying, Take This Waltz is not a film I would recommend.

[Image: 220px-Kingkong_bigfinal1.jpg]

6/10 - Both incredibly racist and sexist, King Kong is a classic tale that so overlong it truly hurts. While entertaining and well acted, the film could have stood to be far shorter. Fortunately, it packs its overstuffed runtime with entertaining sequences and spectacular special effects. Naomi Watts is fantastic here and brings raw emotion to the role as the white woman whose beauty and whiteness tames the savage black man. While the overt racism inherent in the story suffocates it pretty good, racist films can still be quite good and King Kong is a perfect example of this. There is a seriously epic feel to the film and it is well handled by Jackson who knows his way around an epic. If the film was shorter, then the overall film would be far more enjoyable because the extravagant set pieces and scenes pack the right amount of power, but the filler winds up stunting that excitement. Heck, the film could keep all the scenes, but they could be just a touch shorter. Yet, the pay off was quite solid admittedly. Appropriately emotional and stirring, the ending really rips your heart out and makes you hate the people who did this to Kong. Overall, an appropriately epic blockbuster that entertains and thrills, but packed too much into just one film.

[Image: 220px-Lifeofbrianfilmposter.jpg]

8/10 - Most certainly an odd film, Monty Python's Life of Brian is a truly hysterical take on the Biblical story of Jesus and his life. Taking risks repeatedly, the film takes the unique approach of following a man named Brian who rises in importance in Jerusalem at the same time of Jesus. Incredibly fresh even though it is 36 years since it came out, Life of Brian is a fast paced ball of energy that wrings laughs out of nearly every scene in the film, an impressive feat for any comedy film. I have not seen another Monty Python film before, but certainly plan on checking them out, especially after seeing this one. Well written and still quite respectful of the Biblical stories that inspired it, Life of Brian is a truly timeless comedy that may be on the older side, but still feels completely fresh.

[Image: 220px-Quiet_american.jpg]

8/10 - A truly wonderful exercise in subtle brilliance, The Quiet American is a fantastic look at Vietnam before American forces arrived and really provides a compelling look at colonialism vs the rise of communism and the role America played. A subtly put together film, The Quiet American feels cut from the same cloth as something such as Casablanca, which I was not expecting. An oddly romantic love letter to the escape Vietnam provided for some, The Quiet American is also incredibly romantic in a more traditional sense with a truly engaging look at relationships forged during such troubling times. The subtle direction from Phillip Noyce is fantastic as is the very good writing that does a great job crafting these characters. As for the acting, Michael Caine turns in an absolutely phenomenal performance. It honestly may be one of the best performances I have been blessed to see. Brendan Fraser does very good as well when faced with the impossible task of out-acting Caine. Overall, The Quiet American is a truly engaging film that is very nuanced and incredibly subtle. To me, it feels like an old-time film that somehow got made in 2002 and thank God for that.

[Image: 220px-Hush_2016_poster.jpg]

7/10 - The latest film from director Mike Flanagan, Hush is a bloody mess. There are quite a few logic errors that take place here, but they get covered in pools of blood and a creepy atmosphere that really generates scares quite easily. However, this film is far more thriller than horror. Aside from the classic horror movie tropes that are present, it only rarely becomes terrifying. Instead, it really manages to thrill you quite frequently as you wait to see what unfolds next. Even more, the premise is quite engaging. While simple on the surface, the fact that the main character is deaf really adds another wrinkle here that makes the game being played all the more confusing and terrifying. As I said, there are a few plot problems, but nothing major that truly detracts from the film to any degree. Well shot, well directed, and well acted, Hush is a nice little modern horror-thriller that may not be a classic, but confirms that Oculus was no fluke and Flanagan is an up-and-coming talent.

[Image: 250px-Locke_poster.jpg]

8/10 - Locke is pure brilliance in motion. An emotionally powerful and stirring film, Locke really hits home and the struggles our protagonist faces are so incredibly real that it makes you feel serious compassion for him while also hating his guts at the same time. Tom Hardy does brilliantly to capture this element and really turns in a powerhouse of a performance. The direction from Steven Knight is fantastic, as is the writing which perfectly captures Locke as a person, as well as everyone he talks to on the phone. Though Locke is the only one we ever see, the people on the other end are so well crafted that seeing is not believing here. You get their full emotion and passion through just the phone calls, which is truly impressive. The cinematography here is gorgeous and really does well to capture the claustrophobic setting and feeling of the film, while also just being simply gorgeous at the same time. Overall, Locke is a phenomenal piece of film that showcases both Hardy's acting skill and Knight's skill as a storyteller. This film is something else.

[Image: 215px-Grosse_Pointe_Blank_poster.jpg]

7/10 - Grosse Pointe Blank is that type of action comedy film that never takes it self too seriously, almost to a fault. However, John Cusack always finds a way to feel endlessly relatable, especially here in a film about a hitman returning home to go to his 10-year high school reunion. As someone who is nearly halfway there on that front, there is a terrifying idea made even more awkward by him being a contract killer. The film is unapologetically fun and really plants a smile on your face from beginning to end. Even more, it does a great job humanizing hitmen while taking a comedic approach to both that subject and returning home after many years. That said, the plot can be a little convenient and unfulfilling, namely in the sense that they keep emphasizing one point and then it is rectified in two seconds. The film's romantic element is also not given enough depth or room to breath. It feels like a very cliche movie romance. The film's incessant cleverness and unique take feels super Pulp Fiction (helped by the cardboard cutout of it during a shootout) and it feels like the kind of film made in the aftermath of it that thought, "Oh wow that looked fun, let's do it again". While still a fun movie, the incessant cleverness and alleged contemplation on the part of our protagonist can be a little much at times. However, that being said, it is a very well acted and well-written flick that entertains in spades while also providing an interesting look at someone returning home after many years.

[Image: 220px-TrollHunter.jpg]

7/10 - Trollhunter is a lot fun and a truly unique film in the found footage and mockumentary sub-genre. The acting is good and the camera work is just the right level between look found footage quality and watchable. Additionally, the premise of a man being a trollhunter for the government is really cool to watch unfold, as are the history and lore of the trolls various tribes in Norway. In this sense, the film is perfect. However, it is held back by simply not being too scary and by being found footage. I am not a huge fan of the style and here, it is used very well, but is just too much at times, especially when they are running. That said, the creature design is great and the film's characters work well even if they have no depth (not that they should for this type of film). Above all, it is a good bit of fun and is quite well made. Overall, Trollhunter makes the grade.

[Image: 220px-Valhalla_rising_poster_dk.jpg]

8/10 - Valhalla Rising is about something along the lines of redemption, religion, forgiveness, and the human experience. Maybe. Honestly, I have no idea. You could tell me it was just some dude walking and splitting dudes heads open for an hour and a half and I would fully believe you. Mads Mikkelsen says nothing. No, I am serious. He says zero lines of dialogue. Easiest check he ever cashed. Yet, he turns in a great performance in this gritty thing from director Nicolas Winding Refn. Easily my favorite film by him, it is a film packed to the brim with his trademark violence against a truly gorgeous backdrop in terms of both imagery and score. The use of color in the film (red, blue, white symbolism) goes over my head quite easily, but is compelling to look at all the same. Overall, Valhalla Rising is like a nut that seemingly is uncrackable. It means something. Or maybe it does not. Who knows? Regardless, I loved it.

[Image: 250px-About_Time_Poster.jpg]

8/10 - I am typically a major hardass. Plotholes bother me a good bit and good writing is a major concern. Sure, About Time's time travel makes no sense to the point that it openly contradicts itself repeatedly. It certainly does that. However, forget all of that About Time is a charmer. It is so adorable, moving, and emotional, I would truly have to be soulless not to be swept up in its beautiful portrayal of life and its perfect imperfections. This film is truly a delight in every definition of the word. Domhnall Gleeson and Rachel McAdams have incredible chemistry and are so adorable it truly caused me physical pain. The film made me laugh, cry, and smile, all at the same time for its depictions of love and of loss, especially given the situation of the film. It may be super sentimental and is certainly guilty of squeezing every last tear out of you purposely, but dammit if I would not love to cry while watching this one again. Endlessly watchable and overflowing with unadulterated charm, About Time redefines delightful cinema and makes me willingly blind to its own flaws, just as I should be in life.

[Image: 220px-Lucy_%282014_film%29_poster.jpg]

4/10 - I did not care about the science portion of this. It's a movie, so who cares? What did bother me, however, was just how dumb the rest of it was. An interesting premise turned into something I cannot quite place my finger on. The special effects were cool, but as she gained brainpower, it seemed like she just learned how to create special effects with her eyes more than anything else. The film is stylish and pretty classic Luc Besson in its exploration of heady ideas and a greater purpose, but the film thinks it is way smarter than it actually is as it tries to answer the questions behind our existence and evolution. However, it is clear that the strategy the film opted for in this regard is to throw everything it had at a wall and see what stuck. Not much sticks, but it did deliver pretty visuals and fun action. As far as turn your brain off blockbusters go, Lucy could be worse, but it is quite the no brainer.

[Image: 220px-Mean_Streets_poster.jpg]

8/10 - 43 years after its release, Mean Streets manages to still somehow feel entirely unique and original. Harvey Keitel and Robert De Niro are fantastic in this incredibly gritty and realistic look at New York City in the early 1970s. Featuring Scorsese trademarks all over the place, the storytelling here is vintage Scorsese and that alone sets it apart from other films in the crime genre. The religious debate here and attempts at wholesomeness of the protagonist while also being dragged through the mud by those around him is a truly engrossing struggle that one must figure resembles Scorsese's own turmoil. The film is incredibly gritty and clearly highly influential in the crime genre, as well as film as a whole. For this, it is nearly impossible to overlook Mean Streets even if I prefer some of his other works, especially those released in the immediate aftermath of this one. That said, it is a fantastic piece of film that feels brand new even though it has been four decades since it first hit cinemas.

[Image: 215px-BloodSimplePoster.jpg]

8/10 - Blood Simple was truly a sign of things to come from the Coen brothers. Featuring all of their trademark quirk, fantastic characters, botched plans, and an engaging story, Blood Simple is a fantastic neo-noir crime film from the Coens. The writing is great and the acting, especially Frances McDormand, is very good throughout. The film is also a surprising source of thrills and some horror movie elements (though not a horror movie by any means) in large part thanks to the great score, good sound, and creepy atmosphere fostered by the Coens. The characters truly make this film though as in all Coen brothers films with each of them being completely off-the-wall. Admittedly the blood here caught me off-guard, but it was nothing too bad. Overall, Blood Simple is pitch perfect.

[Image: 220px-24_Hour_Party_People_quad_poster.jpg]

8/10 - 24 Hour Party People is one heck of a film. Off-the-wall and truly odd, 24 Hour Party People is both a compelling biopic of Tony Wilson, the man behind Factory Records, a film about the bands who he worked with, and a film about the Manchester music scene. Told in a news broadcast fashion thanks to Wilson's background as a reporter, the film frequently breaks the fourth wall to tell its tale and blends fact with fiction (while letting you know which is which along the way). Aside from the great music and the backgrounds behind it all, the film is a truly compelling drama that also tosses in some comedy that hits fairly often. Now, of course, this is a film that will not be for everyone. It is quite oddly told and its glorification of the era may rub some the wrong way, but as it stands, it is a truly vivacious and frenetic film that captures the drug-induced haze of the era, as well as its pure brilliance.

[Image: 220px-Get_shorty.jpg]

7/10 - Overall, Get Shorty is a pretty fun and entertaining crime comedy/thriller. John Travolta turns in a truly cool and calculated performance as this loan shark turned wannabe Hollywood producer. He really makes this role his own. Additionally, it is well-written and the plot is compelling. I never found it overly funny, but this was not a major problem in and of itself. The main detraction here has to be how truly generic the film is. From beginning to end, it is completely derivative of every film about Hollywood and/or crime that came before. This is obviously not ideal and it leaves you feeling as if you had seen this movie dozens of times before. That said, it is a fun film with very well developed characters, good pacing, and strong writing. Overall, Get Shorty works as both a satire of the crime genre and on its own as a crime film.

[Image: 220px-Baadasssss%21_Poster.JPG]

8/10 - Baadasssss! is a great look at the struggles faced by Mario Van Peebles' father, Melvin, in the making of his film Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song in 1971. An endearing film from a son about his father, Baadasssss! can be pretty abrasive as it starts, which is appropriate given the subject. However, as you get the hang of things, the unique style and half-documentary/half-biopic approach becomes as cool and endearing as the star. However, the film is not afraid to criticize its subject and shows his anger and negative actions that led to people plain disliking him. Yet, at the end, you still find yourself rooting for him entirely and hoping his film takes off, even if everybody wrote it off as "dangerous". For this, Baadasssss! is an effective and thoroughly enjoyable biopic that feels like a redemption/feel good story at the end of the day.

[Image: 220px-Beginners_Poster.jpg]

8/10 - I am a sucker for these kinds of movies that examine life, especially parental relationships and love. Beginners is no exception and remains endlessly touching and truly emotional, while somehow being relatable even though the situation of having a father come out of the closet at age 75 is certainly quite unique. It is not hard to believe that this was a personal situation for writer/director Mike Mills, evident in his graceful direction and fantastic script. The dialogue and characterizations feel thoroughly real and well-executed. Ewan McGregor, Melanie Laurent, and Christopher Plummer, all turn in very good performances here and real human beings with real emotions. It is always refreshing to see a film that treats the human condition with such respect and extracts drama from everyday life. Beginners is a perfect example of this and this, in turn, makes it a thoroughly enjoyable viewing experience. Overall, Beginners is a thoroughly sweet, endearing comedy-drama that really brings serious charm to the table.

[Image: 220px-Force_Majeure_poster.jpg]

8/10 - Force Majeure is a very thorough look at marriage and patriarchal hierarchy. In particular, it provides an interesting look at masculinity and what it means to be a man after a family experiences a close brush with an avalanche. This look at marriage and family (especially the effect on the kids) is truly traumatic in many aspects. It really helps you to identify with these characters and when they are emotionally tormented, you are right there with them holding back tears. This film may not be comedic as it as been described by some, but it is a great example of drama in everyday life and, at times, pure thrills. Honestly, this film could be quite thrilling at times when you could cut the tension with the knife. Of course, these are always followed up with truly awkward encounters between these deeply broken characters. The direction by Ruben Ostlund was phenomenal, while the writing and acting were also very, very good. Overall, Force Majeure is really a winner that provides serious food for thought on the expectations placed upon men by women and by society.

[Image: 220px-Happy_Christmas_poster.jpg]

7/10 - I quite enjoyed Happy Christmas. A nice and enjoyable slice of life film, it is a captivating character study of a self-destructive, immature young man who desperately needs to grow up. Anna Kendrick perfectly emulates this type of person here, while Joe Swanberg and Melanie Lynskey also turn in good performances. The writing and direction here are solid and the film has good pacing with an interesting story to tell. I love slice of life films and this is no exception, though it does feel a touch incomplete. It needed to be longer than 82 minutes, just to give these characters more depth and more time to do things. Unfortunately, that is not the case and I would point to that as the film's main weakness. Otherwise, however, it is an enjoyable dramedy with good acting and compelling characters.

[Image: 220px-Tracks_2013.jpg]

8/10 - Featuring an endlessly quotable script, visually striking cinematography, and a powerhouse performance from Mia Wasikowska, Tracks is a wonderful film. The latest work from director John Curran, Tracks tells the inspirational story of Robyn Davidson's voyage across the Australian outback. The film is a truly emotional journey into the self as one of the toughest women I have ever seen in film tackles the elements. It is both inspirational and truly tragic at times, but I guess that comes with all demanding journeys. This film feels truly authentic and captured the true spirit of a journey of this sorts, while also not shying away from portraying Davidson's struggles along the way that she had to pick herself up from. Even more, it did a good job portraying her backstory and motivation for beginning the journey in the first place. The film is a beautiful and expansive look at this woman's journey sans Hollywoodization as would typically happen. As a whole, Tracks is a film that inspires you to embark on your own journeys and leave your own tracks on the world, wherever they may be.

[Image: 220px-The_Hobbit_-_The_Desolation_of_Sma...poster.jpg]

5/10 - Overstuffed and packed to the brim with logic holes, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug spends too much time trying to add onto its already bloated storyline with side plots and side journeys in an attempt to extend one book into three movies. From what I understand, Legolas was not in the book and this is made abundantly clear here when all of his scenes literally add nothing to the movie and the adventures of the dwarves or Gandalf. Heck, even Gandalf's side journey (which is in the book) adds nothing here to this story. It just serves as distraction from what the movie is allegedly building up to, only to then cut off and not do anything until the third movie. Film is not television. Cliff hangers should not be allowed like this. In film, it makes the product feel entirely unfinished and prevents the film from being able to standalone from the rest of the franchise. Instead, The Desolation of Smaug willingly plays in the problems faced by many middle entry stories in that it is neither the beginning or the end. Even worse, the film repeatedly does shoutouts to Lord of the Rings. Again, I know it is a prequel, but I also know that every little shoutout it does is not in the book. More than anything, these moments feel as though they are simply trying to garner goodwill based on the success of the Lord of the Rings films. Unfortunately for Desolation of Smaug, this does not work and the end product is simply a thoroughly average film that may entertain at times, but has serious pacing issues and drags from beginning to end.

[Image: 220px-Original_movie_poster_for_the_film..._Doubt.jpg]

8/10 - Featuring a seriously incestuous vibe from beginning to end, Alfred Hitchcock's classic film Shadow of a Doubt is a fantastic noirish crime thriller. Featuring all of Hitchock's trademarks, namely his phenomenal use of suspense and mystery, as well as his willingness to keep his characters and audience entirely in the dark, Shadow of a Doubt is a true winner. Featuring a very strong female lead in Teresa Wright, Shadow of a Doubt is oddly feminist even if some dialogue is incredibly sexist (though these characters do not leave unscathed). The writing and overall look here can look quite dated by today's standards, but Hitchcock's wit and style will forever be timeless and it is on full display here with this spellbinding tale of murder.

[Image: Housebound2014horrormovieposter.jpeg]

7/10 - Housebound is a super quirky directorial debut from Gerald Johnstone. This New Zealand horror-comedy provides both its fair share of thrills as it does comedic moments. The acting is solid, but Johnstone takes full control here. A smart, witty, and sophisticated script help to compliment this truly impressive debut. Showing full knowledge of the genres he is playing with, Johnstone has a knack for crafting a truly chilling atmosphere and reinvigorating genre cliches. While Housebound is clearly heavily influenced by horror-comedy entries of yester year, the film introduces enough original ideas to get by on its own. Additionally, it is a truly entertaining film that provides apt thrills and jokes. Overall, horror-comedies often feel unsure of what they want to be, but fortunately, Housebound adequately balances both and the end result is a truly coherent and enjoyable experience.

[Image: 220px-WBIB_poster.jpg]

5/10 - White Bird in a Blizzard is that kind of film that is just so truly average, there are few words that can come up when you try to gather your thoughts about it. A middling thriller and a middling coming of age film, White Bird in a Blizzard seems content to evenly divide time between solving its mystery and having the protagonist sleep with every guy she meets and then brag about it later. On its own, either would be okay if expanded upon. Together during a hour and a half film, it feels tonally jumbled and all over the place. It was if they could not decide what kind of film they wanted to make and instead decided to make both. This is too bad because it wastes a good performance from Shailene Woodley and a truly captivating mystery and what would have been a worthy sexual coming of age film. While nothing overly original, White Bird in a Blizzard takes two workable genres and mashes them together and winds up hurting the overall product as a result.

[Image: 220px-Stonehearst_Asylum_poster.jpg]

4/10 - Dammit. Stonehearst Asylum is a frustrating exercise. A compelling premise with a truly telegraphed ending that doubles down on its dumb final plot twist with the belief that a shoddily crafted romance/obsession can solve madness. I hate that very idea and it leaves a truly sour taste in my mouth from this otherwise acceptable film. The initial twists and turns are truly engaging and set up a terrifying premise, even if director Brad Anderson fails to conjure up any scares. The atmosphere is solid, but anything but scary. Instead, it is more of a thriller throughout. All the same, the period elements are top-notch and asylums always make for a truly compelling premise when it comes a horror/thriller film. This is certainly the case, especially when the production and costume design are this good. Kate Beckinsale, Ben Kingsley, Jim Sturgess, and Michael Caine, all turn in solid performances and get the job done from beginning to end. However, the ending is what skewers Stonehearst Asylum and is the film equivalent of putting the gun to your head and pulling the trigger.

[Image: 220px-The_Jungle_Book_%282016%29.jpg]

8/10 - The Jungle Book is everything it ever should have been. A truly magical experience, The Jungle Book features stunning visuals, a great score, and fantastic special effects. This classic tale of a boy living in the jungle has been told before obviously and its certainly not the most original plot nowadays to boot, but this does not prevent the film from still sweeping you up in its truly heartwarming tale. The Jungle Book bears its soul for all to see and the result is a truly touching and thoroughly emotional film. I honestly had to fight back tears repeatedly while watching, a feat that does not happen much. Yet, when director Jon Favreau is in control, this seems to be a regular occurrence. He honestly may be a master at emotional manipulation and touching your heart through his films, as evidenced here, as well as in Elf and Chef. Though this one is a big budget film, it feels wholly intimate. Ben Kingsley, Bill Murray, and Idris Elba, are all phenomenal here as voice actors. Neel Sethi is about as good as you can expect of a child actor. He never soars above expectations, but never disappoints either. Overall, The Jungle Book is about as good as a film of this type can be. It can be a little cardboard cutout at times, but it really touches your heart and entertains throughout thanks to great writing, direction, and voice acting.

The Dark Valley, it's on Netflix. Very good.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]
[Image: KPt6Yuu.png]

Spangs, do you have a blog where u post these things?

[Image: hallsy.png]

Quote:Originally posted by McJesus@Apr 30 2016, 04:07 PM
Spangs, do you have a blog where u post these things?

No, but I do have a blog for a separate purpose. http://movieswithkevin27.tumblr.com/

It's just for deeper analysis' of some of the films I review here. I've also posted some other stuff like a top 20 for 2015 and plan on doing other years (both in the past and the future).

Civil War was so good.

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Quote:Originally posted by JayTee@May 6 2016, 11:40 AM
Civil War was so good.
Yes.

[Image: Oqsvuu4.png]
FranceCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersFrance

[Image: 220px-HTPoster.jpg]

5/10 - Harsh Times is an interesting film that I would say is decisively average. On one hand, it is a brilliant character study into a truly damaged man's mind and the horrific things he experienced. In many ways, this and The Deer Hunter and truly the gold standard of making me feel like I have PTSD myself. Christian Bale is fantastic in capturing this broken man's essence and the problems facing him. Yet, on the flip side, the film seems more content to show its two main characters just messing around and drinking while furthering your hatred for them. Harsh Times is clearly not a believer in creating protagonists that the viewer likes. Though they may be flawed, protagonists should still be somewhat sympathetic. Here, you just want him to get his just desserts. This element really holds back the film as well as the pure joylessness. Obviously a dark film, I have no problem with dark films but here, even when they party they seem to not enjoy themselves. This film is pitch dark. Overall, Harsh Times is an entertaining crime drama/psychological drama, but fails to create sympathetic leads and sputters out of control with its compelling premise.

[Image: 220px-Stardust_promo_poster.jpg]

6/10 - There were moments where I truly hated this film. There were moments where I truly loved this film. I honestly do not even know where to begin when it comes to corralling my thoughts on Stardust. The acting is very good. Charlie Cox does a great job, as do Claire Danes, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert De Niro, and I loved the small role for Ricky Gervais. The prince brothers are also quite good and all very entertaining. The film is a well-written fairy tale and really lifts you up into this fantastical world where anything is truly possible. In this fashion, the film is very well-written and does fairy tale incredibly well. Stardust is as enchanting as it should be and is a beautifully romantic film with incredibly unique elements in its corner. However, in the negative, the ending is telegraphed from a mile away. The second the film began, anybody walking in could tell you how it was going to end, especially the big "twist" at the end. Did they think they were being discreet in hiding it? While the writing is solid, the film seems often too concerned in following the story structure of a classical fairy tale story instead of blazing its own trail and saying something mildly unique. Instead of profundity, we find nothing but "love conquers all". A nice message sure, but damn is it ever repeated a lot. With Stardust, I am entirely stuck between being swept up in the fantasy it conjures and writing it off as a wholly derivative and insipid experience. Thus, I am truly perplexed about my own feelings on the film. I would call it "mixed", but the film feels better than just this. However, even "mixed" sounds too good for a film like this. My opinion on Stardust will likely never be finite until I sit down and watch it again, but for now, I am left feeling completely underwhelmed at this pretty poorly paced, yet sometimes decidedly magical and enchanting film. If it could figure out what it wanted to be, maybe my task here would be a far simpler one.

[Image: 220px-Son_of_Man_FilmPoster.jpeg]

5/10 - Son of Man is a compelling take on a modern day, African Jesus. At times, it feels like a documentary with its implementation of newscasts. However, as with all Jesus films, it does a great job capturing the "son of man" and showing how his message would play in a place torn apart by civil war and in-fighting. However, the film suffers from being poorly paced and having truly odd editing techniques resulting in the film completely lacking any type of flow. While the acting is fine and the Jesus story is well told, this two negatives far outweigh those positives and result in a decidedly dull experience.

[Image: 220px-Being_John_Malkovich_poster.jpg]

9/10 - I just do not know. Being John Malkovich may truly be the most unique and thoroughly weird film I will ever be blessed to lay my eyes upon. In many ways, it is truly brilliant. In others, it merely odd and tries to find new ways to out-odd itself. Yet, I cannot help but feel that I truly loved this film. From beginning to end, it is hysterical and its unique concept is accurately explored. Even better, it leads to so many questions about existence, free-will, the self, and many other postmodern ideas. One thing is for sure though: Being John Malkovich is wonderfully written. With great characters and incredible execution of such a weird idea, this one shows why Charlie Kaufman should be revered as one of the best living screenwriters. His wonderfully odd imagination plays out in his films and this one is no exception. The acting is fantastic, especially John Cusack, Catherine Keener, and John Malkovich. While undeniably weird, Being John Malkovich is a delightful door into the human mind that explores what makes us tick, what makes us human, and makes you incredibly paranoid that somebody is in your head.

[Image: 220px-Carrieposter.jpg]

6/10 - It is not hard to see why Carrie is considered a horror classic, but it simply was not for me. Sissy Spacek did a great job portraying the bullied teen and getting the audience to feel sympathy for her, but the prom scene is truly ludicrous and her ability is so out of left field and poorly utilized that it left me laughing more than anything. The film crafts a creepy atmosphere and builds up only to abandon all fears and horror moments and replace it with some girl throwing stuff around a room with her mind. Interesting. The film may also be one of the most sexist films around thanks its portrayal of women throughout and the five minute opening of watching girls focus more on caressing their breasts than just washing the damn things. I am straight, but it was a little much even if titillating. Overall, Carrie does not really deliver much in the way of thrills when Carrie is at school. At home, it demonstrates why this film is a classic with truly chilling and horrific scenes taking place there. Otherwise, it is just a touch too odd for me.

[Image: 220px-Independence_day_movieposter.jpg]

8/10 - Typically a movie as dumb, poorly written, and poorly constructed, as Independence Day would draw my ire. However, even I cannot resist its charm. Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum, and Bill Pullman, star in this cheesy, over-the-top 90's action flick that is actually a masterful action film. For all of the films obvious shortcomings across the board, it is an incredibly well made and well crafted action film that sets the stakes, sticks to its rules, and comes up with unique and compelling ways to overcome the problems it puts before its heroes. Additionally, the creature design here is very nice and well done. Though it is dated in some spots, the aliens still look pretty cool. Heck, there is even some solid horror-esque moments here reminiscent of Alien combined with great references to Close Encounters of the Third Kind, 2001: A Space Odyssey, ET, and a few more that I am blanking on. Above all, Independence Day is simply entertaining. While that is often not enough to get the job done for me, it is here. While it may be everything I typically hate in a film, Independence Day stands as the exception and is a truly fun, lively, and bombastic experience.

[Image: 220px-Ninth_gate_ver3.jpg]

7/10 - I do not know how this could be called unthrilling or unchilling. I have seen many a horror/thriller and this one had me on pins and needles throughout. While it lacks true scares, director Roman Polanski repeatedly crafts a deliciously creepy and unsettling atmosphere dripping with mystery. As the film is unveiled, it continues to be compelling especially when Depp is on the search for the books and when he deals with the girl. Really the only moments that do not pay off are the final 20 minutes that simply feel awkward and clumsy, though the very ending is an interesting touch. That said, The Ninth Gate features a great performance from Depp and though inferior to Rosemary's Baby (obviously) and Chinatown (due to its neo-noir elements), it demonstrates Polanski's immense skill while working with mystery and horror, especially together. A devilishly mysterious and creepy thriller, The Ninth Gates more than satisfies.

[Image: 220px-TOIL_poster.jpg]

7/10 - The One I Love is an interesting film. Starring Mark Duplass and Elisabeth Moss, the film is a trippy little thriller comedy that really messes with your mind. Making you wonder what is real, in a postmodern fashion, the film is a really compelling look at a broken relationship. A truly authentic look at marriage and love, The One I Love is an interesting look psychological thriller that really messes with you mind due to that authentic foundation. This allows the film to really mess with you as it examines this fractured couple and adds in an interesting twist that really shows the problem with cheating in an already broken relationship. An incredibly odd little indie film, The One I Love is both entertaining, thoughtful, and a truly unique take on a well-traveled path.

[Image: 220px-Red_State_Poster.jpg]

5/10 - Red State is an interesting offering from writer/director Kevin Smith. A unique take on the whole Westboro Baptist Church nonsense, except if they were heavily armed domestic terrorists, Red State is a compelling film. There are certainly moments of pure terror to be found here and it is most certainly well-directed by Smith in that regard. However, he abandons all of these into a sea of bullets and ends it in truly anti-climactic fashion. These are both major negatives, but this really combine with the bad acting from most of our young leads (the older folks do pretty well, especially John Goodman). The comedic aspects here are oddly placed and while some do hit, most are just truly awkward and miss the mark. Incredibly inspired by the 70's/80's teenage slasher flicks before it, Red State is classic Kevin Smith fare, especially in the fact that something about it feels oddly unsatisfying.

[Image: 220px-The_Homesman_poster.jpg]

6/10 - Often called a "feminist western", The Homesman is decidedly not feminist and instead incredibly sexist. That aside, it is only a middling success. The cinematography is the best thing this western has going for it, as the shots here are truly gorgeous from beginning to end. The premise is interesting and well realized. Heck, even the characters are very well done and have nice little arcs to them. That said, the acting is spotty, the film is decidedly dull, and I typically avoid chalking up sexism as a con unless blatant, but the fact the film pretends to be feminist is what makes me do this. Ultimately, the film could use better pacing, but as it stands this one largely satisfied me. Truly dark and depressing, The Homesman is hits all of the western trademarks and brings some fresh twists to the arena.

[Image: 220px-Honeymoon_film_poster.jpg]

7/10 - I actually really liked Honeymoon. The directorial debut of Leigh Janiak, Honeymoon is a tense, chilling little indie horror flick with adequate performances from Rose Leslie and Harry Treadaway. The film is deeply influenced by both science fiction and more demonic possession type horror films (think Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, etc.) and is not completely original, but does play around with both of these two leave you really questioning what actually happened at the end. This ambiguous ending will not work for everyone, but it really worked for me and really heightened my enjoyment of it because of the various clues left for any explanation. Overall, Janiak demonstrates a very good understanding of genre conventions and how to make a satisfyingly slow building horror film with great atmosphere and thoroughly entertaining chills.

Read more here: http://movieswithkevin27.tumblr.com/post/1...45265/honeymoon

[Image: 220px-TheGift_v2.JPG]

5/10 - Featuring a star-studded cast, Sam Raimi's The Gift cannot be classified as anything other than a disappointing effort. Raimi is at his very best here crafting a truly chilling atmosphere and carefully manufacturing each and every scare to maximum effect. The Gift can be a truly horrifying experience at times and this has to be its strongest asset. The acting is also very strong, but of course it is with a cast that includes Cate Blanchett, Giovanni Ribisi, Keanu Reeves, Katie Holmes, Greg Kinnear, Hilary Swank, JK Simmons, Gary Cole, and Kim Dickens. Everybody delivers here and this cast is more than worth your time. However, the film shoots itself in the face repeatedly at the end of the film. Featuring a predictable "twist" that anybody could see after 20 minutes into the film and a stupidly convenient ending that is also deeply sexist really make The Gift's ending feel more like a slap to the face than anything. Even worse, the film was effectively scary up to this point, even if it was incredibly conventional. Instead of being an acceptable thriller that adds very little to the genre, it is merely a disappointing effort from all involved that deserved far better writing and a less dumb ending.

[Image: 220px-Cop_land_movie_poster.jpg]

5/10 - Cop Land is an interesting little flick from director James Mangold. Focusing on the criminal element within a cop safe haven in New Jersey, the major problem facing Cop Land deals with its plot. Far too typical, it feels like a cop procedural at times and, even worse, it is incredibly meandering in the middle with pointless subplots. That said, it is still a very entertaining film with a great performance from Sylvester Stallone, as well as from the rest of the cast. The narration is unnecessary and the neat/tidy ending is beyond off-putting. However, the acting is superb here and this is the film's major plus side. That aside though, things fall apart quite frequently here and Mangold is oh too willing to tell a typical cop story that would be fitting as an episode of NYPD Blue or one of the many other cop shows out there. That said, Cop Land is not expressly bad and is an entertaining little film that has something to say about cops being above the law. The entertainment value and acting save Cop Land from being a disaster.

[Image: 220px-Where_the_truth_lies.jpg]

4/10 - Starring classic noir structure to try and unveil the secret behind an incident concealed by two comedy partners, Where the Truth Lies is a riveting film to watch unfold, even if it does make it hard. Kevin Bacon is fantastic in this over-the-top role as the loose and crazy partner, while Colin Firth does a great job as the straight man here. Together, they have great chemistry when they share the screen and even when they do not. This pairing simply works wonders for the film. Much criticism was given to Alison Lohman, but I actually quite liked her. She did fine. Instead of "Where the Truth Lies", this film should be called "Where the Film Dies" because there are more clues pertaining to that than any type of truth. Instead of truth and evidence, we get conjecture and guessing that is implied to be right. If there was evidence, it was lost in the overly convoluted plot structure that adds in multiple narrators and multiple timelines (without making it clear when the time switches). This creates a mishmash of storylines all trying to get out when there is one that we are supposed to be trying to figure out. Instead, they introduce us to numerous different characters who have no bearing on the plot whatsoever. This overplotting and overwriting makes this ultimate ending that much more complexing as we could barely follow the proceeding events, let alone make sense of what led to this ending. Instead of Lohman's character uncovering clues, it felt more like the Atom Egoyan just threw a dart at the wall to decide who was guilty in an attempt to trick the audience. Well, consider me tricked and unappreciative of the fact that this neo-noir erotic thriller missed the mark entirely. I wanted to love Where the Truth Lies, but this thing is such a jumbled mess that it makes it truly impossible.

[Image: 220px-Milkposter08.jpg]

8/10 - An inspirational triumph of a film from director Gus Van Sant, Milk is a beautifully moving and thoroughly entertaining film about the life of Harvey Milk. An incredibly well-written film, Milk moves elegantly through the man's life and manages to focus on the movement he helped to create while also adequately covering the most important decade of his life. Sean Penn is a revelation here as he completely becomes the titular character and brings a certain charisma and charm to the role that demonstrates brilliantly why Milk was a popular figure amongst all citizens. Often times, biopics struggle to be truly engaging and entertaining due to its events actually occurring. This is most certainly not an issue with Milk as it is a brilliantly entertaining film from beginning to end and hits you with every emotional uppercut in its story with full force. Overall, Milk stands tall in large part thanks to Sean Penn, but fantastic direction from Gus Van Sant does not hurt.

[Image: 220px-Babel_poster32.jpg]

8/10 - A beautifully interwoven story of the human condition and dealing with loss that spans continents, Babel is a truly marvelous work from director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu. The film crafts wonderfully deep characters who walk, talk, and act like real human beings experiencing these events. Even better, it treats them all equally and never points fingers, instead making us feeling incredible amounts of sympathy even for those who made mistakes. The acting is superb and this compliment extends to the entire cast, not just Hollywood a-listers Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. The writing is fantastic and the film never drags, even in its slower parts. Additionally, the nonlinear storytelling is never a problem and the film lets you know when each piece is taking place with no confusion. Overall, Babel is a stirring and deeply touching examination of loss and humanity.

[Image: 250px-StarredUp2013.png]

8/10 - Starred Up is a truly refreshing breath of fresh air into the prison subgenre. Often, these films can feel quite repetitive. Yet, here, it is a truly unique offering that may touch on similar notes as past prison films, but has a lot of worthy topics to bring to the table. Jack O'Connell is honestly mesmerizing here as he commands the screen and struggles with the world around him due to his damaged past. O'Connell's brilliance and passion are matched perfectly by Ben Mendelsohn in a truly aggressive, yet truly gentle father role. Rupert Friend and the rest of the cast also do quite well here in this film from director David Mackenzie. Thanks to the good writing and solid direction from Mackenzie, O'Connell's performance is allowed to take center stage and really tell the story at times. This film is packed to the absolute brim with emotion from its actors and its stories and it truly makes good on all of the emotional drama it presents. Overall, Starred Up is a fantastic character study that really makes you feel as though you are in prison with the characters.

[Image: 220px-Lastdaysdiscoposter.jpg]

9/10 - The Last Days of Disco is a fantastic film.from director Whit Stillman. A thoroughly perplexing film, Stillman weaves in many different characters and ideologies into this film. Chloe Sevigny and Kate Beckinsale are fantastic here as foils (or are they?) in Stillman's wonderful look at friendships, relationships, and youth, set against the backdrop of the end of disco. At times, Stillman's packed dialogue filled with wordy attempts at brilliance can come off as awkward or pretentious, but in reality, they are astute critique of the type of individuals who say these types of things. For this and many other reasons, The Last Days of Disco is a brilliant exercise and an even better character study into these broken, envious, fake, human beings who like to present a facade of themselves that bears no resemblance with reality. Overall, The Last Days of Disco is a slyly comedic and thoroughly riveting social satire.

[Image: 220px-Captain_America_Civil_War_poster.jpg]

6/10 - Captain America: Civil War was alright. Too many characters and calling them by various names being its biggest sins, as it simply makes it hard to follow. The action scenes are poorly done and solely done in the name of, "oh that's badass" or "oh he/she is hot". Even worse, they are poorly shot and wholly disorienting when they occur. The quips can be funny, but the comedic timing is dreadful and undermines potentially serious moments. Even worse, I f***king hate Iron Man. I hated him before this movie. I hate him now and he's like half the movie. The Iron Man movies are the only Marvel ones I do not like and it is because of how much of a whiny, self-righteous brat his character is that I truly despise him. This ultimately hurt here and made the overall film incredibly underwhelming. That said, the new character introductions are appropriately epic and done very well. The film is incredibly entertaining with good fight scenes (minus the disorientation), it is funny, and the disagreement is very well laid out as opposed to the film about the sons of Marthas. The acting is more than acceptable here and thoroughly feels like a comic book movie. Overall, after enjoying the first two Captain America's, Civil War was wholly underwhelming due to Iron Man and being overstuffed with characters (who are referred to by their real name and superhero name interchangeably). Civil War did not live up to my hopes.

Also, a post about The Last Temptation of Christ and The Passion of the Christ analyzing the Jesus character in both films.

Also, new post on The Last Days of Disco: http://movieswithkevin27.tumblr.com/post/1...t-days-of-disco

[Image: 220px-The_Dark_Valley_poster.jpg]

8/10 - Surprised to see this one fly so under-the-radar. A great nod to classic westerns with a modern twist, The Dark Valley is a film that thrives on mystery and a brooding, dark atmosphere. Sam Riley does a great job as the calculating and stoic mystery man who unleashes his revenge on this backwards alpine town. The Dark Valley's undoubtedly inspired by films such as the Man with No Name trilogy and does a great job crafting air of mystery around this new man in town. Additionally, its revenge element is well-developed and makes sense. The cinematography here is absolutely breathtaking and really soaks up the beauty of the entire mise en scene. The acting, especially from Riley, is very good. Honestly, it does not surprise me to see that this one was well-received in Austria, though the lukewarm response stateside is quite shocking. Thoroughly enthralling, The Dark Valley pays off in spades and is a fantastically made modern western that really makes me fulfilled in regards to my craving for westerns.

[Image: 220px-Bugposter2007.jpg]

4/10 - An unsettling and truly hypnotic film on occasion, Bug is far too willing to descend into madness with its characters and prefers graphic violence over subtleties and atmosphere. For a psychological thriller to work, it has to have a truly chilling atmosphere that really messes with your mind. Bug does mess with you a good bit as it reaches the end, but far too often, it feels more comedic than thrilling as you have to laugh at the fact somebody thought this would be scary. That said, Michael Shannon and Ashley Judd are phenomenal here, but the film's hypnotic and wholly claustrophobic setting wears out its welcome eventually and becomes more of a grating experience than a truly horrifying one. While it has its occasional high notes, Bug takes a lot of shots and misses on most of them, though Friedkin knows how to craft good horror and does so here on occasion, just not with regularity. Overall, Bug may nick, but never bites.

[Image: 220px-Devilsadvocate.jpg]

8/10 - A thoroughly terrifying and dismaying morality play, The Devil's Advocate takes a deliciously twisted approach to supernatural thriller and blends it with a bit of courtroom drama to distract you from what is really on trial. Keanu Reeves is very good here, but has got nothing on Al Pacino and his turn here as Satan. Thoroughly evil, deceitful, and menacing, Pacino exudes evil here and plays the role perfectly, enticing the audience to both trust and fear him in unison as he wraps Reeves around his finger. An interesting take on revelations and the end of the world as well, The Devil's Advocate really messes with your mind and makes you wonder who among us could be a similar type of wolf in sheep's clothing. Overall, The Devil's Advocate takes a minute to kick it into high gear, but when it does, it is more than worth it.

[Image: 220px-The_Shipping_News_film.jpg]

6/10 - The Shipping News is a decent film with good turns from Kevin Spacey, Julianne Moore, and especially Cate Blanchett (in an against type role, I might add) that is simply too pleasant to have any lasting impact. The film, when it focuses on the human element, can be incredibly touching and romantic. Throughout, the characters are well-developed and the result is a cast of people who you really identify with and feel for. However, the film takes some odd turns, namely when it comes to death and the supernatural. These feel wholly diverting and distract from the overall purpose of the film with the weight some minor characters' death is given. Additionally, disturbing scenes and elements further confuse the plot and distract from the main purpose of the film: a man taking control of his life and becoming truly happy and fulfilled. These diversions are more distractions and feel more like filler than any character defining kind of stuff. That said, there is more bad than good in The Shipping News and though it can be kind of slow at times, it is never boring and is truly satisfying on the whole.

[Image: 220px-Alphadog_posterbig.jpg]

5/10 - Alpha Dog is an alright true crime drama. Endlessly riveting and entirely tragic, Alpha Dog really manages to break your heart, especially thanks to Justin Timberlake, Anton Yelchin, and Sharon Stone's performances. Together, they really bring the emotion and break your heart in half. Ben Foster in a truly unhinged role is brilliant and off-the-wall. Emile Hirsch and Bruce Willis are both very good as well and exude cool and authority. However, the film lacks flow due to its attempts to set up the case and include interviews with real people throughout. Instead of a film, it feels like a special on HLN or something for much of the runtime with dramatic reenactments dispersed throughout. That said, it is entertaining and a very sad film to watch unfold even with the narrative failures.

[Image: 220px-A_Single_Man.jpg]

8/10 - Practically a prolonged advertisement for Tom Ford suits at times, A Single Man matches its stylish outer lair with a deep character study that brings plenty of substance to make it a truly perfect blend of style and substance. Colin Firth is phenomenal in the starring role as a grieving man who is dealing with the loss of his gay lover while balancing his current life. A tale of love and loss, A Single Man is blessed with fantastic cinematography that really makes its lush style come to life and gentle writing and direction from Tom Ford to give us this worthy character study that feels as if it rings entirely true. The score is also phenomenal and really takes center stage at times in this film that often feels like moving poetry. As an overall film, A Single Man is well told and incredibly well crafted turning it into a film that makes you cry because of both its story and its sheer beauty.

[Image: 215px-Ghostworldposter.jpg]

5/10 - Ghost World is just exasperatingly dull. It has moments of comedy. It has moments of poignancy. However, these moments get drowned out in this deadbeat teenage girl hating the world and hating everybody around her while learning nothing about life and instead just deciding to leave everything behind. There are no character arcs here for our main character who is an immature obnoxious **** to begin with and is an immature obnoxious **** when it ends. The film really can be relatable at times when it comes to touching on issues with growing up and finishing high school, as well as providing some seriously funny moments (especially when discussing art or film). Thora Birch, Scarlett Johansson, and Steve Buscemi, are all good here, but the film is poorly paced and suffers immensely from crafting a deeply unlikable main character.

[Image: 220px-Les-miserables-movie-poster1.jpg]

9/10 - Brilliant. Anne Hathaway honestly steals the show here, but Amanda Seyfried, Hugh Jackman, Eddie Redmayne, Samantha Banks, Isabelle Allen, Russell Crowe, and Daniel Huttlestone, make it competitive. Beautifully put together, Les Miserables obviously has phenomenal music with phenomenal performances of its songs, but this beautiful and touching portrayal and musical really comes to life in the staging. Featuring fantastic stage design, costume design, and makeup, Les Miserables oozes beauty and 1800s France. Additionally, the cinematography is fantastic and truly soaks up this beauty to the max. From beginning to end, Les Miserables is a whirlwind of an experience that sweeps you up in its magic and never lets go until well after it ends.

[Image: 220px-Other_guys_poster.jpg]

7/10 - A riotously funny comedy from director Adam McKay, The Other Guys features solid comedic performances from both Will Farrell and Mark Wahlberg here, as well as a very strong supporting cast, especially Steve Coogan. Strongly written and a good blend between humor and plot, The Other Guys is actually a pretty interesting comment on the financial crises of the 2000s while being an appropriately funny police comedy. Considered a parody of buddy cop films, you can certainly see that element here as it frequently mocks those types of films, while also being a great comment on masculinity. As a whole, The Other Guys is a thoroughly hysterical film that entertains from beginning to end without stopping.

[Image: 220px-Cloverfield_theatrical_poster.jpg]

8/10 - A fantastic found footage science fiction horror film, Cloverfield essentially breathes life into a sub-genre that typically blows. Many call it heavily inspired by Blair Witch Project, but if it was, it would be devoid of scares and the worst experience of my life. Fortunately, it was not and instead of just being tolerable, it was enthralling. The film does a great job setting up the stakes and creating incredibly interesting human beings who feel so real that, ignoring the camera, feel like people you know. The found footage element only adds to this as it really puts you into the scenes and makes you feel as if you are experiencing these events first hand. Found footage can often be gimmicky, but here, it feels entirely fresh in both its usage and with its story. Together, the end result is a truly captivating and exhilarating thrill ride courtesy of director Matt Reeves.

[Image: 220px-State_and_Main_movie_poster.png]

8/10 - A tongue-in-cheek look at film production, State and Main often exemplifies the themes of its film within film a film while also being a compelling look at smalltown America. Philip Seymour Hoffman steals the show in this ensemble cast repeatedly and whenever he is on the screen, the scene is guaranteed to be better. Rebecca Pidgeon, William H. Macy, Sarah Jessica Parker, Alec Baldwin, David Paymer, Clark Gregg, and Julia Stiles, are all very good here as well and roundout this truly marvelous ensemble cast. Incredibly witty, subtle, and smart, State and Main is an interesting behind the scenes look at the making of a Hollywood film that manages to make you laugh, smile, and be thoroughly entertained throughout. As with all David Mamet films, there is a huge emphasis placed on this cast of characters and it often feels as if it was staged as a play, which I love. Overall, State and Main is right up my alley.

[Image: 220px-Burbsposter.jpg]

7/10 - The Burbs is certainly quite odd, but it is most certainly hysterical. Tom Hanks stars in this quintessential and stereotypical 1980s suburban horror/comedy flick that expertly blends science fiction, horror, comedy, and good old fashioned paranoia to craft a gleefully odd and whimsical time for the viewer. The film may not bolster fantastic special effects and may be highly implausible, but this does not stop it from being completely funny. It may not be overly original in terms of plot, setting, or overall feel, but The Burbs shows that life in the suburbs is anything but picturesque.

[Image: 220px-Predestination_poster.jpg]

8/10 - Predestination is unique, compelling, and truly captivating science fiction that throws you for a loop from beginning to end. Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook are magnetizing in this odd science fiction/fantasy film that is a time travel movie, but uses it in incredibly unique fashions that constantly leave you guessing. While the final reveal is obvious to anyone putting the pieces together, it only clarifies within the last half hour so it is not like the entire film is predictable. That said, the entire film is a bit of a trip and likely contradicts itself (as most time travel movies do), but is a truly enthralling flick that wraps you up in its world and does not let go until the very end. All together, Predestination is an incredibly thought provoking film that keeps you guessing and trying to put together its crazy puzzle.

[Image: 225px-Wag_The_Dog_Poster.jpg]

8/10 - A smart and crafty political comedy, Wag the Dog entertains throughout while also pointing out many flaws in the American political system and news media. Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Anne Heche, Denis Leary, William H.Macy, and Woody Harrelson, are all very good here. The writing is smart and the direction from Barry Levinson is solid with the film having very good pacing and being quite coherent. While the film can get a bit outlandish at times, Wag the Dog's excesses are largely due to its insane premise and the real situations it satires throughout the film. Overall, Wag the Dog entertains, satires, and will have you laughing from beginning to end as this cast of characters finds themselves in new and odd situations.

[Image: 220px-Get_Low_Poster.jpg]

7/10 - Get Low is equal parts comedy, drama, and mystery, as you finally discover what makes this crazy old man tick and why he is the way that he turned out. Robert Duvall, Bill Murray, Sissy Spacek, and Lucas Black, are all very good here and really capture the true essence of their characters. The cinematography here is absolutely gorgeous and the lighting (candle light at times) is fantastic and really adds the right texture to capture the old time feel of the film. Director Aaron Schneider proves himself to be more than capable of turning out a good film here as his direction is solid and the pacing never slacks. Additionally, the writing is very strong and these characters are very well fleshed out and multi-dimensional. Overall, Get Low is a solid and entertaining dramedy mystery.

[Image: 220px-The_Railway_Man_--_movie_poster.jpg]

7/10 - The Railway Man can be timid and poorly paced at times, but is ultimately an emotionally charged film that really treads interesting and worthwhile territory when it comes to PTSD, WWII, and forgiveness. In particular, the ending of the film is expertly done and really pays off on all of the emotion built up from the rest of the film. Colin Firth, Jeremy Irvine, Hiroyuki Sanada, and Tanroh Ishida, all shine in this film directed by Jonathan Teplitzky. The film is not poorly directed at all, though the pacing does slack at times, which is problematic. The cinematography is very good and the transition between WWII Japan and 1980s England is handled very well and never winds up being confusing when things change. As an overall film, The Railway Man feels too subtle at times which does hurt the final product, but is still a very well made and incredibly well acted film about forgiveness.

[Image: 220px-I_Love_You_Phillip_Morris.jpg]

7/10 - I Love You Phillip Morris is kind of hit-and-miss from a comedic standpoint, but fortunately, from a romance and emotional side of things, it is an absolute home run. Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor are absolutely brilliant in this film as lovers. Together, they have a truly irresistible chemistry and their love story feels truly authentic here as both actors truly begin to embody their characters. The film's emotional high notes are entirely heartbreaking and watching Steven Russell destroy both his life and that of the man he loves, can be truly hard to watch, though ever entertaining given the comedic approach to the film. Overall, I Love You Phillip Morris has pretty indistinct direction and is not nearly as funny as it thinks it is, but all of this is alright in my book due to its highs. Those highs being the strong emotion in the film and the brilliant acting of Carrey and McGregor. Together, these two create pure movie magic.

[Image: 220px-Elizabethtown_poster.jpg]

5/10 - Elizabethtown is hit-and-miss. Completely implausible, the film is your stereotypical rom-com in which boys meets girl and etc etc. However, there is an undeniable charm to the film that touches on the small details of life that need to be appreciated and once you open your eyes to them, life seems far better than it did before. At the very least, it shows you that your problems are not as bad as you truly believe they are. Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst have solid chemistry with one another in this piece of pure Southern charm and throwback rock songs that is quintessentially Cameron Crowe. While a far cry from his best films (hello Almost Famous), Crowe's direction is fine though the film does hit the brakes far too often to simply take in the sights. A more assured pace would have been greatly appreciated for this slice of life type of film. However, the film's greatest problem is its one-dimensional characters. Leading to the creation of the term "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" by one film critic, Kirsten Dunst's character is an embarrassment when it comes to writing and it is clear that the writer had no desire to create a female character. Instead, he focused solely on the man. She has no life of her own other than that which we see with Drew and seems to exist solely to benefit him and make him happy. A tragic misfire in that regard, Elizabethtown is far too typical when it comes to romantic comedies and film in general to truly be anything truly worth your time. As it stands, it is not a bad film, but it is one you have seen before.

[Image: 220px-Scoopposter.jpg]

8/10 - Scoop got mixed reviews upon its release in 2006, but I absolutely adored the film. Scarlett Johansson, Hugh Jackman, and Woody Allen, are great in this crime comedy film that has a smart, well-written script. While the film can be subtly sexist at times, it outweighs this with a truly hysterical script that features perfect comedic delivery from Woody Allen here. If you do not like his comedic style, Scoop will not be the film for you, but I find Woody Allen hysterical and Scoop is no exception. The comedy here is A+ and the mystery/romance element live up to that standard with a solid romance story and a captivating mystery that keeps you guessing from beginning to end as to how it will all turn out. Though many considered Scoop to be one of Woody Allen's misses, I absolutely loved it and found it to be an absolute riot.

[Image: 220px-Sixteen_Candles.jpg]

5/10 - As funny as all of John Hughes' other 1980s classics, Sixteen Candles is at times truly hysterical and is equally a great commentary on growing up and turning 16. That said, the film is held back by two major issues. One, it is deeply racist with numerous Asian stereotypes and making fun of its Asian character as much as possible. Additionally, it is mind numbingly sexist. Including trivialization of date rape and caricature female characters, Sixteen Candles feels more like an ode to the days when a man could have a woman whether she wanted him or not. This really odd sequence ruins the film at large and turns it into a cringeworthy and truly dated exercise that leaves one feeling disgusted by the characters in the film more so than entertained. Sixteen Candles may provide laughs, but is morally troublesome.

[Image: 220px-The_Nice_Guys_poster.png]

9/10 - The Nice Guys is a brilliant film brought forth by director Shane Black that features a charismatic, well-matched duo in Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe. Hysterical from beginning to end, The Nice Guys is not simply hollow laughs, but matches it comedic instincts with a well-constructed plot that keeps you consistently engaged and not just hanging on waiting for the next joke. Well paced and well-crafted, The Nice Guys has incredibly multi-dimensional characters and the film as a whole really pays homage to a bygone era, especially in Los Angeles. I am an absolute sucker for these neo-noir films set in Los Angeles, especially ones with fantastic cinematography and The Nice Guys most certainly fits the bill. Undoubtedly set to go down as one of the funniest films of 2016, The Nice Guys is not just some brain dead comedy. Rather, it makes you think and has a true emotional core that really threatens to start up the waterworks. Overall, The Nice Guys is an absolute winner.

Read more: http://movieswithkevin27.tumblr.com/post/1...5/the-nice-guys