Create Account

S55 mPT #1 - Home Ice Advantage

Toner always found that Edmonton was a difficult place to play. Coming from Los Angeles the cold of Edmonton always hits pretty hard and can make you a little uncomfortable. The fans are also known for being pretty crazy up here. He's gonna enjoy having that home-ice advantage this season.

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

The Tampa Bay Barracuda have the biggest home ice advantage in the SHL. First of all, they play in Florida. If the people on bathsalts don't get to the opposing team first, the people without masks will. Also, their mascot is a car: a Plymouth Barracuda, and it has been known to run over the opposing team. Also straight up Fitted is on the Barracuda. With so much fear, how can any team go into Tampa Bay and expect to win?

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

Maine and Minnesota have the biggest home-ice advantage, because I play there. That’s right, I’m currently playing for the Maine Timber and nobody wants to come and play here because they know they have to play Alex Marshall with the crowd behind him. It’s a frightening thought for most opponents, and something that the Chiefs have to look forward to once Marshall is called up to the big leagues.

[Image: d4tHOa1.png]

I'd say Winnipeg has the best home ice advantage simply because it is so dark and cold there that the visiting team instantly falls into a depression and has a tough time being there in the first place. The home team, of course, is much more acclimated to Winnipeg so it doesn't affect them nearly as much. This gives a huge advantage to the home team. Especially against those California and Florida teams.

Mika Kandinsky Stars 

[Image: mika_kandinsky.gif]

The team with the best home ice advantage is the baltimore platoon because of the local fans but one in particular who paints his whole boys in the teams color everynight including his private area, he always shows up the games and is a player favorite

Anchorage has the best home ice advantage because it's so far removed from all the other cities. By the time the opposing team gets up there via sled dog the game is almost set to start.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020, 04:04 PM by notoriousTRON.)

So being new to the SHL, I didn't really know where to go with this mPT. So I decided to dig into the numbers. I looked at data from the FHM era (past two seasons) and compared each team's winning percentage over that time vs their home winning percentage over that time. I know this analysis isn't perfect, but rather than make something up about the actual difficulty of playing in a completely made up arena or use the same joke that everyone else is using about 'never wanting to go to X town' I figured this would do. 

[Image: Yg7aAeA.png]

Texas had the highest difference between their home record and their overall record but they have been barely better than .500 at home so it's hard to say that it's toughest to play there. Still, for a team that won 35% of it's games the past two years, it's impressive to be over 50% at home. Instead I'm going to go with the runner up team in this metric: The Calgary Dragons. Calgary was just a 14 games over .500 over the past two years but were 22 games over .500 at home. Though teams like the Hamilton Steelhawks and Buffalo Stampede had better home records, those teams were far better teams overall and would be expected to perform well at home as they would anywhere else. Calgary strikes me as the team that is gaining a clear advantage from playing on their home ice and would be a much closer to average team.

In fact, the league average delta (that is difference between home W% and overall W%) is 0.065. If you applied the league average home winning pct delta to all team's records (meaning that home ice advantage is the same boost to winning percentage for every team), Calgary would then have an expected winning percentage (Exp W%) of 0.528 which would place them in the bottom half of the league over this two year period.

[Image: 8vEj6dd.png]

I think through two years of FHM data, Calgary is looking like the toughest place to play in the SHL. We'll see if that trend continues.

Bonus points for being a Canadian city.
Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

[Image: notoriousTRON.gif]
Sig Cred: Carpy, ML, RainDelay, Donini & Geekusoid
[Image: gs89eGV.png]

The team I hate to play away the most is St. Louis. The fans are just crazy and wild and are screaming the whole game. It can really get in your head. This does not necessarily mean they are the best team at home, but it is a very large difference for home and away for the Scarecrows. In my opinion, Detroit has the best fans and we always give 110% at home for them!

[Image: cNHA4sa.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020, 04:37 PM by HanTheMan_.)

Edmonton has the most significant home ice advantage. Living up to their team name, The Blizzard, Edmonton is a freakishly cold wasteland of snow receiving up to sometimes around 50 inches of snow per year. Teams who aren’t used to the snow like LA will struggle here.

47 Words

[Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Manhattan has the strongest home field advantage for two reasons: One, the rudeness of the native population of New York, and second the massive rats who intimidate the opposing team. Food is always left in the opponent locker room to ensure an adequate population.

[Image: Duff101.gif]
Credit to Geck, Ragnar and Juni for sigs

The Newfoundland Berserkers have the best home ice advantage because every travelling team knows that the Slaughter House has declared they will only play "Jaja Ding Dong" during every stoppage in play. There is no other team in the J that even understands the obsession NL has with Eurovision.

Code:

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

Manhattan has the best home-ice advantage. The fans are devoted to the team and bring the energy every night. Also for new players playing in the bright lights of New York is sometimes too much for the new players to handle.

[Image: ImShiny.gif]

I think Maine has one of the best home-ice advantages. What opposing team wouldn't be intimidated by a crowd full of screaming drunk lumberjacks? The Timber draw their strength from the crowd of plaid-clad foam axe-wielding yelling at visiting players the entire game.

[Image: AgentSmith630.gif]
Thanks to @sulovilen, @the5urreal, and @sve7en for the sigs!

Tampa bay has easily the best home ice advantage....for all visiting teams because they know they are almost guaranteed two free points as long as their roster is better than bare minimum.

[Image: 4zfXx6o.gif]

There is no question that the Calgary Dragons have the best home ice advantage out of the entire SHL. The Calgary Dragons won their eight Challenge Cup championship in season fifty and have made the playoffs an incredible twenty nine of the last thirty one seasons. A lot of this success in Calgary has to do with playing in the most exciting arena, The BIG Parm, which has become the hardest place for opposing teams to play in the whole league. The Big Parm is pretty much everything the Dragons franchise, the city of Calgary and their fans could ever have dreamed of in an arena. First off opponents usually get pretty annoyed and thrown off their game with the loud screeches of the Parm Pigeon mascot that gets on the nerves of opposing players whenever the home town Dragons score a goal or in moment of the game when the mascot tries to energize the Calgary crowd.

Next the Calgary Dragons have some of the craziest fans in the league that will do pretty much anything to get in the heads of their opponents. For example, there are the infamous Erogenous Parm fans that sit beside the penalty box and behind the away bench to taunt opponents when they are penalized with some wild tactics of smearing chicken parm sandwiches all over their shirtless bodies in a creepily sexual way to distract them from the game going on. Trust me when I saw you will never see anything else like that in the SHL.

The third reason why the Dragons have the toughest arena to play in the league is the giant replica of a chicken parm that dominates the roof of the arena in Calgary. According to the Dragons management the life like and mammoth replica of the chicken parm even smells like an actual chicken parm due to a space age polymer invented by NASA scientist. This is another tactic to thrown off opponents for the Dragons to get a home ice advantage as its purpose is to make opposing teams hungry with the mouth watering smell of a fresh chicken parm sandwich throwing them off their game forcing them to think about food rather then what is happening in the game. In addition, the smell of chicken parm gets through the vents of the stadium and is purposely funneled into the away locker room to distract them within the intermissions of the game. Even better, the Big Parm has its very own free range chicken farm attached to the roof of the stadium that is regularly attended to.

With a deep hockey history in the SHL as one of the original teams dating back to season one, Calgary is one of several Canadian teams that has proved throughout the years to have an incredible home ice advantage due to their unique atmosphere.

Word count: 479

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars