Create Account

S69 PT #0: City Planner January 22nd @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Player prompt-

I think I would stay in the safest place possible. Playing for Buffalo, it doesn’t really have the reputation for being a dangerous place. Except the weather. So probably somewhere in town. Close to the arena, and walking distance to amenities like stores and whatever. Probably and apartment building, a nice one. That has a generator so when it snows a hundred feet, the heat stays on. I’m a gentile creature. I don’t want to be cold. The building doesn’t need a gym because I’d be close to the arena. I don’t know if places like this exist in Buffalo, but I assume they do. Not really about where I live, but I’d definitely want bills tickets if I’m in town. What am I talking about. There’s no NFL in this universe. I’d have to go all the way to New York City and o see a silver backs game. Fuck that. I’ll just charter jets to Montreal United games.

[Image: Fantobens.gif]

Player prompt:

During the season, Mat Smith lives in a house in the outskirts of Chicago, since while he loves the city and the fans he plays for, he prefers to live a quiet life. His house isn't anything too fancy, it's on the larger side with a big kitchen for cooking, dining and living rooms for entertaining, and a big yard that his dogs can run around in. He doesn't mind the commute into the arena too much, he actually came to enjoy the 45 minute drive where he blasts pop punk, and considers it part of his game day routine. There have been a couple of particularly snowy days that his Prius didn't appreciate which made him a little late for warmups, but for the most part he's earned the benefit of the doubt with his coaches that it isn't on purpose. Overall, Smith lives a happy, quiet life outside the SHL and his living space reflects that.

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]
Portal
Portal

Creative Prompt

The key to a successful sports district is accessibility and capacity, and that means building around cheap (or ideally free) public transit. The new and improved stadium district will have subway access and dedicated bus lanes running right up to the rink itself, with limited parking to discourage the heavy use of cars. The game day shuttle service will pick visitors up from key areas around the city, starting early in the day to give people plenty of time to enjoy the other amenities! Just outside the arena will be a massive park space, with the game projected on screens so the entire community can watch, even those without tickets, and food trucks and merch vendors will be found throughout for as close to an in-game experience as possible. Surrounding the stadium and the park, of course, will be bars, hotels and clubs, so locals and tourists alike can get the most out of their trip and keep the game day excitement going for as long as possible.

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

PBE Affiliate

[Image: sobchak.png]

I think when it comes to an arena you would want to have the surrounding area be one that compliments it, therefore something too quiet would probably not make too much sense. I think the surrounding area should be full of restaurants, bars, and anything else that enhances nightlife and makes people want to enjoy themselves and have a good night.

You don’t want a quiet residential area because then it’s a bummer outside the arena, nothing really goes on and the atmosphere is kind of dead. When you think about playoff runs, you think about a bunch of fans watching games outside, having a good time together and cheering on their favorite team. Therefore, having a nice area outside the arena for a common space where games can be watched and events can be held (like concerts or festivals) would be perfect. This would definitely allow for a great atmosphere and really compliment an arena.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

There are 5 essential P's to what I want around our home area. Parks, ponds, parks, ponds, and parks. The more parks, the higher likelyhood of families going out and having picnics. The more picnics, the more chances the lazy, messy humans will leave their uneaten food behind. Also with picnics there is a 95.4% chance that at least one member of the family will be eating a sandwich or some other type of food with break. And us ducks love bread. The humans think "oh these ducks must be starving" without knowing the previous 83 families already gave us their left overs. Parks are a feeding ground for us ducks. The reason for the ponds should now be obvious. Sure we love humans for giving us food, but we hate them for how they bother us. Ponds allow us to fly off and relax in the middle without the meddling humans wanting us to put on a show. This way, we can get our food and then avoid the humans. It's a win/win.

[Image: puddlesoduck2.gif]

Rhys Pritchard and his family have a permanent home outside of Nashville TN. Choosing to make his home in a town in which he's never played hockey makes it easier for him to live a quiet life. There are also lots of opportunities to hunt and fish and of course, Rhys has really come to enjoy country music. During the season however, he stays in a condo near the rink in Calgary. There are plenty of great food and recreation options in the area for when his family is with him. His family visits often for large stretches of time and the condo is big enough for all of them. Rhys also usually spends some portion of the offseason back home in Wales with his mum and extended family. When he finally decides to hang up the skates for good, he's looking forward to a quiet retirement in Nashville to spend time with his family.

[Image: notoriousTRON.gif]
Sig Cred: Carpy, ML, RainDelay, Donini & Geekusoid
[Image: gs89eGV.png]

Tailgate HQ is non negotiable

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Code:
Written Task: What kind of accommodations, attractions, restaurants, stores, homes, or parks do you want around your home arena? How would you design the perfect arena neighbourhood? Do you want it to be entirely leisure focused? Full of arcades and bars and carnival games? Or are you going to try something different? Maybe a large surrounding park? A nice quiet residential neighborhood that will send you noise complaints every time there's a game? There's no oversight here, make whatever your heart desires! (150+ words)

Wow I am not sure that giving BASE PACK the keys to a city to plan his dream city is a good idea but hey no one ever said that the people in charge of governments (especially local ones) were that smart. I am guessing there is some sort of element of greed behind it as are all decisions in politics but I am just going to do my thing and not worry about that. My first order of business here is that I am going to knock down a lot of the existing stores, homes, and other buildings in the area to build copious amounts of sports card shops so that everyone can enjoy the hobby of collecting sports cards like their favorite SHL goalie BASE PACK. There will be at least two card shops on each street in the city after I am done with it. I'll also install public transportation that goes directly from the city center straight to our arena (like literally lets you off at the ticket area) so that people can come watch BASE PACK all that much easier.

185 words

[Image: 66818_s.gif]
[Image: lqfXIpe.jpeg]

PBE PT

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

Creative Prompt

For my home arena, I want a neighborhood that's supportive of the team, that won't cause too much disruption in the area around it. Most importantly, I want to match the mood of the sports arena: lots of excitement and things to do. Thus, I would definitely want to have a lot of restaurants and bars for fans to go to before and after the game. I would want maybe an amusement park for the kids to go to. I would want a good amount of public transportation options to make it easier for fans to go to the game. I might add a park in the vicinity to give fans a place to walk around before the game stars to get their head in the action. I would definitely want to have it be in a circle surrounding the arena to remind everyone that the arena is the focus for all the attractions surrounding the area, not the other way around.

Code:
162 words

PBE affil PT

As a hockey player, I have limited time, so I would want to have 24 hour amenities all around the area if possible, and to have everything close by so I would not have to waste time driving places to get something. Even better if the place was walking distance to the arena as that would be greener, and would waste less energy getting to practice or to get ready for road trips. Of course if I was married or if I had children then that would be different as there would be other priorities at play for those points. The important things of course are a healthy grocery store, banking, transit, health services, and some good restaurants for when I do not feel like cooking. For now, a serviced apartment would probably be the best choice. Eventually when I retire then maybe moving out to a bigger house would be in the cards.

[Image: image.png]

Planning my neighborhood, I would want as many amenities as me so that I could walk to anything and everything I could imagine or need while focusing on hockey still. A 24-hour gym and being based in Quebec, an outdoor rink that can become an ice rink during winter and a roller rink during the summer would be two musts. I would also want a movie theatre in the community as its my favorite way to wind down after a long day. A grocery store with a butcher and bakery inside would be fantastic so I could maintain a healthy diet. One personal thing would be a wooded area of around 25 acres that houses a disc golf course. Walking my dog and playing disc golf would be the other main downtime activity. Having a handful of various ethnic food restaurants would be amazing for the community and arena life plus you cant forget about bars to watch sports all nightlong.

[Image: MMCPaEg.png]

[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png][Image: eP8F2Ne.png]

Creative Prompt - Written Task:

My ideal arena situation would be one that looks to be part of the fabric of the city, working with the setting and the architecture already present instead of working against it and sticking out like a sore thumb. I think an arena with a recessed bowl (where you are actually underground when sitting in the lower bowl) works best for this purpose, as it reduces the overall height of the building by a considerable amount and allows the stadium to have a much lower profile. With that said, building it in or near an area of town with an already thriving nightlife scene would be a must, allowing people to mingle in and out of the area before and after games. Ideally, there would be a high concentration of privately owned bars and restaurants in a walk-able area around the arena, with a larger free-use space/ park directly in front of the arena. This would allow groups to come in, do a hockey version of tailgating, and involve the community in the process.

[Image: downer.gif]

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]