Create Account

Regression + Other Minor Changes

My only comment here from a GM's perspective is that I prefer CW to a Team Point Task. Depending on when the team PT takes place, I've found it to be a lot of extra work for GM's organizing this task and getting everyone involved, etc. If it takes place during playoffs, it brings a GM/Co-GM attention away from managing their team for the playoffs, last season I found it to be a burden and was not a fan of the team PT. Focus during playoffs should be on the playoffs imo, not putting together a big point task.

If we are in fact going with a Team PT, I would suggest it be done over the course of a couple weeks during the regular season (maybe mid-season) or during pre-season. There seems to be some down time after the draft, during pre-season, etc. I think that would be a more appropriate time to have a Team PT then during the playoffs when 8 teams and GM's are focusing on playoffs. Plus some of the players on these teams may want to do playoff articles, etc. I just think having a team PT during playoffs is not a good idea. A better time would be when no teams have anything going on so everyone's focus can be on the team PT. That's my input for what it's worth.

Thanks. Smile

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

Quote:Originally posted by teztify@Sep 2 2015, 04:49 PM
It's unfortunate when Head Office is criticized after making a multitude of changes because they weren't done fast enough, or because it didn't fix every issue currently found on the site. When it's coming from the perspective of someone who has never been in the HO, I understand why it can be frustrating, they've never been part of that environment nor do they know how everything in the HO works, but it's not an easy thing to run nor coordinate at all times.

The reality is that the Head Office has been this way since Season 1, with a variety of members coming in and out and switching roles. Things have always taken time to get done - it's not as easy as saying "here's what I wanna do, everyone agree? Ok good." It never has been, in 25 seasons. And it wouldn't be that way if someone else was in charge, either.

Basically you have two options of how you want the league to work. You can have a couple of guys make decisions immediately based on only the points of view they have considered, and then the work gets done quickly. Or you can have a larger group give their input, discuss things, consider consequences and side-effects, and implement a ruling that hopefully satisfies the most possible people. We've done an excellent job, actually, diversifying the type of people in the Head Office in recent seasons considering at one time it was a very cliquey group that I was certainly part of.

In either system you're going to get complaints. In the first, people are going to complain that the league is a dictatorship, or complain about loopholes in the rules that weren't considered because only one or two people worked on it. In the second, people will complain that these things take too much time. Personally I'd rather these things take time.

The thing that I think people miss when criticizing how long these things take is that they're all being discussed at once, and we try to get as many peoples input on them as possible. We go back to the drawing board on a lot of them because someone might bring up a great point that causes us all to re-think it. And this isn't confined to one thing at a time - all of these things are being discussed simultaneously and one day Topic A will get all the attention while Topics B and C are ignored because, frankly, this is not our full time job.

When you have things like suspensions to talk about (which the DC has been a terrific help with), that is noise that takes attention away from more pressing issues like the rule changes announced in this thread and make the whole process - which is already (necessarily) long - longer.&nbsp; And it's not as if all of these things took a whole month to work out. Simple things are done very quickly but there's no need for us to make a meaningless announcement of one little change that won't affect anyone until next season anyway.

If you're unhappy with how long these things take to happen, sorry I guess. But that's how these things work.

And in no way am I saying the HO is above criticism or that people shouldn't complain about anything HO does. Feedback on the work HO does is very much a necessary part of this league and makes it run better. But there are some things that people have said over time, and not only now, that honestly are just not helpful and pretty baseless.
=D>

Former
SHL Head Commissioner S12ish-S27ish
GM Dragons S8 & S9 (Won cups both years)
2x GM Of The Year
5 Time Cup Winner
League MVP

Past Players
[Image: HOF2.png] D - Aidan Richan - [Image: HOF2.png] (S5 11th Overall) Dragons
[Image: HOF2.png] C - Chico Salmon - [Image: HOF2.png] (S17 1st overall)  Renegades

Current Player
D - Chico Smeb (S46)

SMJHL - Drafted 65th Overall by Raptors
SHL - Drafted 23rd Overall by Dragons

Normally, I would be with you guys shitting on HO for taking so long to get these things done and hammered out. I was unhappy as well with how long it took to pump out changes but having had access to the discussions involving these changes over the last few days and reading through the processes they went through, the issues pointed out, the inevitability of arses like myself who look for how to bend rules, how they will be interpreted to suit that rule bend (I.E Claiming points AFTER regression, no offensive Scherbluk) so each thing has to be closely monitored to ensure minimal backlash and questions from the community has definitely changed my stance.

And please remember, most everyone in the HO has another job if not more to do, a player to train, a team to take part in and lastly a site to enjoy just like the rest of you.

So, all I have left to say is this.

Do you want it done quickly or do you want it done right?

[Image: CamNosreh.png]

Also I'll say that I never know how to feel about the team stuff. In the past when we've done it, the jobs have pretty much gone to the same couple people that are good at graphics/writing and some of us are left to do nothing. Now I understand it's at the discretion of the team and whatnot, but one of em I literally made one graphic while Gorlab (iirc) made 4 voluntarily because he was the best at them at the time or something. I get CW being too much TPE but changing it to a system where honestly I'd venture to say most teams don't actually have every team member contribute but everyone gets rewarded isn't quite the way to go. Considering IIRC it's graded by effort, why would we voluntarily let someone like me who's mediocre at graphics do them just for the sake of having me help with something while it would inevitably cost us points at the end?

Goodbye CW and the only time I have to force myself to make a graphic! :D

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Steelhead77@Sep 2 2015, 03:24 PM
My only comment here from a GM's perspective is that I prefer CW&nbsp; to a Team Point Task. Depending on when the team PT takes place, I've found it to be a lot of extra work for GM's organizing this task and getting everyone involved, etc. If it takes place during playoffs, it brings a GM/Co-GM attention away from managing their team for the playoffs, last season I found it to be a burden and was not a fan of the team PT. Focus during playoffs should be on the playoffs imo, not putting together a big point task.

If we are in fact going with a Team PT, I would suggest it be done over the course of a couple weeks during the regular season (maybe mid-season) or during pre-season. There seems to be some down time after the draft, during pre-season, etc. I think that would be a more appropriate time to have a Team PT then during the playoffs when 8 teams and GM's are focusing on playoffs. Plus some of the players on these teams may want to do playoff articles, etc. I just think having a team PT during playoffs is not a good idea. A better time would be when no teams have anything going on so everyone's focus can be on the team PT. That's my input for what it's worth.

Thanks. Smile
Yeahthat

How about we try out the team PT in place of CW this season and see how it goes? We'll gather feedback after it's done and if it's mostly negative, we'll make changes for next season.

Former
SHL Head Commissioner S12ish-S27ish
GM Dragons S8 & S9 (Won cups both years)
2x GM Of The Year
5 Time Cup Winner
League MVP

Past Players
[Image: HOF2.png] D - Aidan Richan - [Image: HOF2.png] (S5 11th Overall) Dragons
[Image: HOF2.png] C - Chico Salmon - [Image: HOF2.png] (S17 1st overall)  Renegades

Current Player
D - Chico Smeb (S46)

SMJHL - Drafted 65th Overall by Raptors
SHL - Drafted 23rd Overall by Dragons

Testing the waters here, as it is not refined in any way yet but the groundwork laid for what we had planned was an offseason PT, spanning well...the offseason.

It would basically be a "What did you do on your summer vacation" sort of thing, the teams GM creates a thread in the LR and during the whole off season you post funny stories, pictures, whatever the hell you want (remember, don't be a dick)

On opening night, they get moved to somewhere viewable by the league to laugh at and read.

Each team votes for their top three submissions, scores tallied and the best 3-5 submissions get extra TPE.

Since posts will be made by individuals, this will prevent one person from doing everything.

Thoughts?

Quote:Originally posted by :Mac:@Sep 2 2015, 06:11 PM
Testing the waters here, as it is not refined in any way yet but the groundwork laid for what we had planned was an offseason PT, spanning well...the offseason.

It would basically be a "What did you do on your summer vacation" sort of thing, the teams GM creates a thread in the LR and during the whole off season you post funny stories, pictures, whatever the hell you want (remember, don't be a dick)

On opening night, they get moved to somewhere viewable by the league to laugh at and read.

Each team votes for their top three submissions, scores tallied and the best 3-5 submissions get extra TPE.

Since posts will be made by individuals, this will prevent one person from doing everything.

Thoughts?

Why can't I be a dick. This place is becoming ridiculous.

S2, S5, S18, S22 Challenge Cup Champion
Hall Of Famers: (S7) Alex Reay | (S28) Daniel Merica

[Image: mckeiltbb.png]
[Image: Merica5.gif]
Thanks to Ragnar, Wasty and myself for the sigs.

Quote:Originally posted by Merica@Sep 2 2015, 07:15 PM

Why can't I be a dick. This place is becoming ridiculous.

The man has a point. Being a dick is kind of his thing.

:ph34r:

Quote:Originally posted by teztify@Sep 2 2015, 06:20 PM

The man has a point. Being a dick is kind of his thing.

:ph34r:

Let's be honest I'm gonna be a dick either way. Probably amp it up since Mac said not too.

S2, S5, S18, S22 Challenge Cup Champion
Hall Of Famers: (S7) Alex Reay | (S28) Daniel Merica

[Image: mckeiltbb.png]
[Image: Merica5.gif]
Thanks to Ragnar, Wasty and myself for the sigs.

Quote:Originally posted by Merica@Sep 2 2015, 08:21 PM

Let's be honest I'm gonna be a dick either way.&nbsp; Probably amp it up since Mac said not too.

I wouldn't want it any other way.

Like this status if u thought dpark was inactive before posting this thread

Updated Cheers

I just want to feel important

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by Buster@Sep 2 2015, 06:43 PM
Updated Cheers

I just want to feel important

Updated Cheers

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia