Create Account

S46 PT #4 - Discord Commissioner

If I were Discord commissioner I would host a weekly “party” where members could jump into Discord on a Friday or Saturday night and hang out while drinking and playing video games. This would utilize the voice channels of course, and if things were popular enough we could split into multiple channels so it’s not too crowded. I would also have a voice channel that is just dedicated to music. I’m unsure how we could implement this, but I figure a SHL Spotify playlist or something that anyone in the SHL can add to. I think we could even have individual team playlists that could be made into a competition of sorts for whichever channel gets the most listens. I think ultimately when it comes down to it I want to bring back the community feeling I had when I first joined the league. My disconnect is mostly my fault because I personally do have a hard time with Discord and following up on league threads… but I would like to get more involved.

Word: 174

[Image: WuRZxKN.png]
Player Twitter
Kryyst: Player Page | Update Page
Stinson:Player Page

My first step would be to get whoever necessary to give me roles back in the SHL Discord, as in the last 24 hours someone took them so I can’t even post in the Discord at all. FIX IT @Eggy216.  My second step would be to ban @GeckoeyGecko from the Pokemon channel so anyone else can catch mons.

Third, there are way too many channels, so we should clean it up. To start, I think we can and should remove the food, emojis, dev, IIHF, and draft channels. I don’t think any of them really contribute much to the overall schtick of the league Discord. I’m also open to outright ending the league Discord, as little and less is done there and most users actively mute or flat out leave the Discord. It doesn’t serve a purpose (or at least, I feel most of its purpose exists on our forums).

While additional rules might be nice, I think storm’s initial rules of don’t be a dick and use common sense really cover the gamut of what we need to regulate.
I also would have a demand of a large seasonal salary and to be added to both league head offices as a lurker. So much misconduct and malfeasance happens on our Discords, so I feel I should be present for discussions of such matters (whether or not I get to vote on things).

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

I have never been a big fan of Discord in the fact that I’m not an overly active member around here, so all the chat that goes on in Discord, most of it I just don’t see, but I do understand why it is a massive part of the league for that very reason.

I would like to see some kind of team reports or weekly media items come back like they were way back when half these members weren’t here, to keep old guys like me still connected to the league instead of trying to navigate all the noise in Discord.

In saying that, I do like the access Discord does give me to members over the actual Forum, and when I was a GM, Discord was the cats meow for taking care of business because it was just so accessible for everyone and business got done very quickly, so I think maybe some channels could be added to help with news worthy stories from the forums itself, but the trending direction is a good one I feel!

[Image: WtrC9qy.png]

FalconsJapanpride

The SHL general discord is one of the oddest places in the SHL. In theory, the SHL Discord could be a great place full of announcements, job postings, discussion about sims, and quite frankly, it's not that at all. No one uses it, it's regularly dead, and there are quite a few reasons for that. Spam is one of them. We'd need to crackdown on the amount of spam that gets posted in the general part, streamline a lot of the discord on a whole with eliminating a lot of the unnecessary channels. There needs to be more organization with the discord if we want it to be a legitimate place for the members of the site to gather and have discussions about on site things. The current iteration is not that and likely will never be. We'd need to burn it to the ground and completely start over for the SHL discord to be a beneficial part of the site. I know that the team locker rooms being the place where most of us spend our time is a great thing, but we should have a general community as well.

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

ph

though ill probably forget about this and make a fresh post anyways

[Image: Carbine.gif]
Sig Credit: Suavemente, rum_ham, Turd Ferguson

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

[Image: 711381262207811636.png]

As the newly appointed SHL Discord commissioner there would be quite a few things that i would look to improve on for the Discord server.

Having channel categories and assigning the proper text channels into them would help organize the server and make things more aesthetic and easier to navigate for discord members! For example an "Information" category followed the the rules/announcements text channels underneath them would make it so individuals who just want to view the server info can easily view them from there without getting the lost in the various other text channels. Having a separate channel category for "Voice Channels" would be beneficial as well to distinguish them because i know a lot of people (myself included) have accidentally clicked on a voice channel when we thought it was a text channel. 

Assigning some trusted SHL members as discord admins/mods would help the discord as well to help answer questions and of course deal with any trolls who decide they want to troll on the discord. 

These are some of the things that i would look to act upon as the newly SHL Discord commissioner.

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 

Team locker rooms are probably the best thing to come out of the current discord used and I don’t think the discord utilization needs any improvements on this matter. Every team has the freedom of setting their own discord how the team members want it and it is interesting to see the different way in which teams’ discord are set up. I think the league-wide channel could use some work. It should introduce some more specific channel to not have a bunch of different subjects being discussed in the same channel. They should add channel specifically for discussing the game, another to discuss transactions and have those channels for both the SHL and the SMJHL. Finally, the last thing I would improve is in the name of transparency. I think that both the SHL and SMJHL Head Offices discord should be open to everyone to see, but only as viewers with the ability to comment disable for non-members of the Head Office. It would be a great way for the members of the community to see what kind of changes might be coming and how the Head Office works.
189 words

Nor Ge
Citadelles

Salzberger Lillehammersson
norway Inferno World Falcons

Anders Christiansen
[Image: inferno.png] [Image: dragons.png] [Image: wolfpack2.png] [Image: stars.png] [Image: Dxdffra.png] [Image: hGKuRrv.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: firebirds.png]

I have never entered the general league discord server. I don't plan on changing that now. There's a good reason for this. As much as I think things would be fine ultimately, I know that I've been a polarizing person in the site and am not one to put myself in those positions.

If I were dictating rules for the server, honestly it would probably be a mess. Manhattan has so many channels in our server, and we primarily made it so that the theme of being in Manhattan was in play. With that in mind, I'd present a few new channel ideas:

- Player Association
This is a place for you to go where we have older members address concerns and questions of newer members, and are able to present logical concerns to the league then. They become a liaison for younger people who may not have as much of a voice in the league just yet and can help them pull their thoughts into a more cohesive stance. They can also stifle ones that may have been previous ideas that didn't work so we aren't getting constant suggestion box issues that are simply newer members not knowing the history in the league, logically.

- Video Room
This is the place for complaints about the sim and things that are happening. Similar to the hatred and vitriol of goalie interference reviews and off-side calls that go frame-by-frame, you can go in here and give your thoughts on what's going on and where the sim is wrong at all times.

- The Combine
This is a locked area that's just for links to things like the Bank (SMJHL Training, Eastern Conference, Western Conferece), the Player Progression subforums, the Activity Check subforum and so on to guide you on where you can go to get your updates.

- League Offices
This is where we go to complain about PTs, primarily, and the pacing of them throughout a season. Though, I'm sure there's a lot more that could be involved as well.

And that's my ideas at this point just off-hand. Please get back to something sim related in any way. Thank you.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

Well first, thank you I know you will be offering the head of the discord very soon and I accept prematurely. But what I would do to the discord a very long list, which I am about the explain right now.
First, I would make all the channels and categories neat and clean. Ordered in most to least useful from top to bottom. Then, I would invite many bots because the actual discord is as dead as most anti-vax moms (badum-tshhh), and give each bot it’s own channel in the bots category. I would not allow any bot to be able to be used in the general chats unless it’s vital.
Second, I would get rid of all the rules and just make the rules to “don’t be a dick or you’ll get banned c:”
Lastly, I would hire some mods and admins to make sure the server actually is regulated if it even becomes active daily.

[Image: BoucherFan12.gif]

[Image: benzeev.gif]

06-11-2021, 05:33 PMKenitohMenara Wrote: [Image: BLUE.jpeg]
Welcome to the hall, Ben!

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2019, 02:04 PM by O4L.)

My first role as discord manager would be to ban it league wide. I don't mind discord as a form of communication but it being a league wide thing has really caused the forums to die. The forums were much more active when some teams had chatzy's and some only used their LRs and some used both, discord has pretty much caused every SHL teams LR to die to a certain degree. People are afraid to post their opinions on the site now and instead just post them in discord where they don't have to deal with people who disagree. I've been in a lot of discords due to moving teams a lot recently and so often I see an opinion that could be labeled "controversial" get posted in the teams discord instead of on the site so the poster doesn't have to deal with other people having a different opinion or arguing with them. The amount of shit talk that goes on behind the scenes about members is also annoying since a lot of that shit talk used to be posted on the forums for everyone to see and was super fun to be apart of. I think discord has also made members much more friendly with people on other teams which I'm not really a fan of since it takes away a certain level of rivalries/competitiveness that used to exist in SHL. I miss the days of EDM/HAM and CGY/TEX rivalries and having shitstorms in every pbp thread because those were super entertaining.

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

PBE PT

[Image: 400x200.jpg]

If I were the SHL Discord Commissioner I would definitely help clean it up like many others out there would. We have many children that play in the league and while we may not mind the harsh banter and incredible amount of cuss words, it's just not very necessary. We can have friendly competition and words but it's gotten personal at points in my time here. I would like to cut some of the discord and use the locker room a bit more in the forum. As stated in the OP, the forum helps this league exists and needs the traffic to continue. It's a little outdated, but I haven't had the chance to go through pages of comments and conversations like many others have and through other forum communities I've been apart of, this have been a big sell for me. It's just not the same as Discord. Of course I'd put different channels in each, I think an IIHF channel would be nice if we were to move forward with Discord. I like the individual locker rooms, but we could have legit discussions about the Awards system because I do think it's flawed. It's a more up to date conversion haver about certain awards that are pretty clearly popularity contests and less based on statlines or what those statlines means to the teams they play for.

Pros and cons for each. Would be interesting to have a regulatory position like this.

[Image: dEKENS.png]

3 time Four Star Cup Champion S40-S42
S43 Jesster Trophy Nominee Winner

Scored my first SHL goal in just my second SHL game. 2. Manhattan Rage , James Dekens 1 (Mikael Talo 1, Sigurd Hansen 1) at 18:39

Commissioner Finley has a nice ring to it and if i were to take over responsibility of the discord and forum team locker rooms i would make a few changes to make it easier to navigate and have a less cluttered feel to it. When i first joined the league i was exclusively a forum locker room guy and to be honest it was a pain to keep up with certain conversations and when i was invited to the halifax discord channel it was nice. It felt open to me and easier to see the conversations going on, but one thing i noticed was that there were people not currently on the team that were chiming in on the state of the team and everything from strategies to draft boards were available for anyone that wasn't kicked from the team, meaning they could see others teams behind the doors conversations and bring them to the current team and use that to help them. Id change to keep the locker room team members only.

Secondly i would make it so that the moment a new member joins or or a player recreates there is an automated link sent to the player to join the current season rookie discord channel. I say this because i missed out on all of this. Nobody sent me a link until i was drafted to my SHL team. i never had the chance to see the other players and grow with them and go threw the same problems they all did due to never receiving an invite.

Lastly, i would keep the discord limited to a certain number of channels each team could use. Lets say a team has 20 channels ranging from team notifications to pokemon game chat channels, id say limit the amount to 4 or 5 individual channels. Whats all included is up to the GMs of the team. It would make people shift their attention to use both the team discord and forum locker rooms. Lets not forget that the forum LR used to be the heartbeat of the site when it began. 

I'm not pushing to eliminate discord or forum LRs, nor am i saying i want to combine the two and fuse them into one due to both having their purpose. I'm just asking why we can't use both in a way that is enjoyable to members as well as informative.

[Image: 37Bgs1o.png]
Rage Usa raiders
DRAFTED 30TH OA S43
S42 WJC GOLD MEDAL
JESTER AWARD FINALIST S45
S45 ALL ROOKIE TEAM
S50 IIHF GOLD MEDAL
S52 CHALLENGE CUP CHAMPION

If I were to become the SHL discord commissioner, I would embrace my chaotic evil side and add pingybot to show our appreciation for a beloved member of our community. While I know this would be a controversial opening move, I believe that people would grow to love it either naturally or by force. If anyone complains about pingybot (or even worse, pingy himself), they will receive a discord/site/player suspension of one week unless they write a heartfelt apology using the following template:

"Dear pingy and/or pingybot,

Noot noot. I'm very sorry that I made the following prohibited comment: [insert comment]. I love and cherish you as a vital part of the SHL discord, nay, the entire SHL community at large. When I said that you were [insert prohibited insult], what I really meant is that I was frustrated with something else and took it out on you. Keep on oogelin' and boogelin', and thanks for being you.

[If directed towards pingybot, add this part] I also realize that @"luketd" put a ton of time and effort into creating pingybot for everyone's amusement, and to disrespect the bot is to disrespect Luke. So Luke, I apologize and hope you forgive me as well."

Apologies will be monitored by myself for sincerity, but my hope is that this can be a learning moment for many people and foster a better sense of community with less infighting in the SHL discord.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

Getting named Commissioner would be great for the league, as I Will deeply be involved in making sure the league will grow with Discord being a place for people to ask questions.

For me, the best way to promote activity and growth is discord, and being able to talk to a person immediately will allow you to hooked immediately getting league growth.

To start I would start by cleaning a bunch of channels, and separating to a SHL Channels and Off-Site Channels. I would get a bot in the discord that would limit spam and hire some people to help me manage the discord.

These would be the Channels

SHL Discord
shl related
----------
#rules
#announcement
#Helpful-Quick-Links
#general
#SMJHL
#SHL
#IIHF
#Discussion
#Ask Questions
#Assign Roles
#dev

non shl
------------
#NHL
#Pokemon
#music
#food
#game-together

Voice Channels
General
Draft
Gaming 1
Gaming 2
Gaming 3
Music

I would hire 3-4 people that would be able to moderate the discord and assign roles. Get everyone that has a job in a role so that when people ask a question about that job, there is always someone that can answer that question.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]