Create Account

Kalju comments on PenKnight case

07-11-2019, 05:55 PMkarey Wrote: I mean, I disagree and don't have issues with women in sports (I actually generally don't make note of gender in sportscasting), but if you've grown up accustomed to a certain gender dominated trope, change could be uncomfortable.

His opinion shows his unwillingness to adapt for the betterment of equality, but it also doesn't make him a sicko

That's fair. But it doesn't make him blameless. Humans have the capacity to change, and instead of adapting he has chosen to stay in his rut where women in sports is uncomfortable and frowned upon. Though this is his choice, his demonstrated unwillingness is just another ethical strike against him in my book.

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget

I also have parents and grandparents with bad ideas, and in many cases, you’re right, they don’t know any better. But your options are basically either to call them out on it and educate them as to why these things are wrong, or wait for a whole generation to fade out, and I would prefer to take the proactive route. Some people learn when they’re corrected. Some people double down on the bad stuff and make themselves look even more like buttholes.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

07-11-2019, 05:51 PMjRuutu Wrote:
07-11-2019, 05:42 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: “It’s not sexist because it didn’t used to be sexist” sure is a hell of a take. Does that mean smoking also won’t give you lung cancer because we didn’t used to know it would?

In all fairness - seems like almost everything and anything is going to upset some group of people. Times are different now, I don´t know hold old PK is and where he grew up, but we should not be so quick to judge the older people.

I don't think anyone should be judging him by a comment. It's not right. They aren't the boss of him. So I'm not gonna make a big deal out of it. I get annoyed by some women who are announcing hockey games. Like the one who was doing the Blues games for a little bit. She was just annoying imo, but it's not sexist for me to say that because it's nothing against women it's just her being a little annoying. But that's besides the point. We shouldn't judge his opinion. If that's so we are saying we hate America, and many European Countries, Even Europe because all of them had slaves at 1 point or another.

07-11-2019, 06:14 PMItssYoBoiDaLegend Wrote:
07-11-2019, 05:51 PMjRuutu Wrote: In all fairness - seems like almost everything and anything is going to upset some group of people. Times are different now, I don´t know hold old PK is and where he grew up, but we should not be so quick to judge the older people.

I don't think anyone should be judging him by a comment. It's not right.

I don't think anyone should be judging announcers by their gender. It's not right.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

07-11-2019, 05:51 PMjRuutu Wrote: In all fairness - seems like almost everything and anything is going to upset some group of people. Times are different now, I don´t know hold old PK is and where he grew up, but we should not be so quick to judge the older people.

I don't think anyone should be judging him by a comment. It's not right. They aren't the boss of him. So I'm not gonna make a big deal out of it. I get annoyed by some women who are announcing hockey games. Like the one who was doing the Blues games for a little bit. She was just annoying imo, but it's not sexist for me to say that because it's nothing against women it's just her being a little annoying. But that's besides the point. We shouldn't judge his opinion. If that's so we are saying we hate America, and many European Countries, Even Europe because all of them had slaves at 1 point or another.

I truly am not even sure how to dissect this to respond to it. We can’t tell people they’re being sexist without...also saying that slavery was bad? Yes...These are both bad things.

07-11-2019, 06:19 PMGrapehead Wrote:
07-11-2019, 06:14 PMItssYoBoiDaLegend Wrote: I don't think anyone should be judging him by a comment. It's not right.

I don't think anyone should be judging announcers by their gender. It's not right.

Okay, I would partly agree with you. But you judging him makes you practically the same person.

2 Wrongs don't make a right.

07-11-2019, 06:21 PMsköldpaddor Wrote:
07-11-2019, 06:14 PMItssYoBoiDaLegend Wrote: I don't think anyone should be judging him by a comment. It's not right. They aren't the boss of him. So I'm not gonna make a big deal out of it. I get annoyed by some women who are announcing hockey games. Like the one who was doing the Blues games for a little bit. She was just annoying imo, but it's not sexist for me to say that because it's nothing against women it's just her being a little annoying. But that's besides the point. We shouldn't judge his opinion. If that's so we are saying we hate America, and many European Countries, Even Europe because all of them had slaves at 1 point or another.

I truly am not even sure how to dissect this to respond to it. We can’t tell people they’re being sexist without...also saying that slavery was bad? Yes...These are both bad things.

No you aren't getting what I am saying. I said you hate these countries because they did have slavery in them. So you don't like PK because his opinion is opinionated on past times. It's okay for him to have his own opinion. But judging him for that, is you basically doing the same thing. Judging someone by their opinion is wrong just as if his opinion may or may not be wrong.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2019, 06:27 PM by bbjygm.)

"I get annoyed by some women who are announcing hockey games. Like the one who was doing the Blues games for a little bit. She was just annoying imo, but it's not sexist for me to say that because it's nothing against women it's just her being a little annoying."

This is fine, you think certain announcers are annoying. PenKnight said he thinks all women announcers are annoying. The blanket statement is sexist.

"We shouldn't judge his opinion. If that's so we are saying we hate America, and many European Countries, Even Europe because all of them had slaves at 1 point or another."

Just because someone has the right to say something doesn't mean they should expect no consequences from what they say. America protects your right to say something, not your right to not be challenged on anything you say. And even the right to say something still has its limit. You don't hate America because you don't like someone's opinion, it's within everyone's right to say something and also within everyone's right to criticize that something that was said.

"It's not right. They aren't the boss of him."

So what if we don't control him? If we could, we wouldn't be criticizing him, we'd just change his behavior. You don't have to be the boss of him to say, "Hey, that thing you said is shitty."

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats

Never forget

07-11-2019, 06:08 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: I also have parents and grandparents with bad ideas, and in many cases, you’re right, they don’t know any better. But your options are basically either to call them out on it and educate them as to why these things are wrong, or wait for a whole generation to fade out, and I would prefer to take the proactive route. Some people learn when they’re corrected. Some people double down on the bad stuff and make themselves look even more like buttholes.

I agree, in some cases it´s better to be proactive and educate, but then again - in some cases it´s ´too late´ and we should just accept that times were different in the past.

I hear ya, it´s not fair to judge so heavily - especially when I can for sure understand how some commentators/people in TV pretty much ruin the event or segment by being there. (For the longest time I have been wondering to myself why it´s not possible to get just the arena sounds, nothing else)

07-11-2019, 06:25 PMbbjygm Wrote:
07-11-2019, 06:14 PMItssYoBoiDaLegend Wrote: I don't think anyone should be judging him by a comment. It's not right. They aren't the boss of him. So I'm not gonna make a big deal out of it. I get annoyed by some women who are announcing hockey games. Like the one who was doing the Blues games for a little bit. She was just annoying imo, but it's not sexist for me to say that because it's nothing against women it's just her being a little annoying. But that's besides the point. We shouldn't judge his opinion. If that's so we are saying we hate America, and many European Countries, Even Europe because all of them had slaves at 1 point or another.

"I get annoyed by some women who are announcing hockey games. Like the one who was doing the Blues games for a little bit. She was just annoying imo, but it's not sexist for me to say that because it's nothing against women it's just her being a little annoying."

This is fine, you think certain announcers are annoying. PenKnight said he thinks all women announcers are annoying. The blanket statement is sexist.

"We shouldn't judge his opinion. If that's so we are saying we hate America, and many European Countries, Even Europe because all of them had slaves at 1 point or another."

Just because someone has the right to say something doesn't mean they should expect no consequences from what they say. America protects your right to say something, not your right to not be challenged on anything you say. And even the right to say something still has its limit. You don't hate America because you don't like someone's opinion, it's within everyone's right to say something and also within everyone's right to criticize that something that was said.

So what if we don't control him? If we could, we wouldn't be criticizing him, we'd just change his behavior. You don't have to be the boss of him to say, "Hey, that thing you said is shitty."

It might be based on their voice is annoying too, but it might be that it is a feminist voice, but point blank judging him this harshly is more immaturity than just bringing it up.

07-11-2019, 06:24 PMItssYoBoiDaLegend Wrote:
07-11-2019, 06:21 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: I truly am not even sure how to dissect this to respond to it. We can’t tell people they’re being sexist without...also saying that slavery was bad? Yes...These are both bad things.

No you aren't getting what I am saying. I said you hate these countries because they did have slavery in them. So you don't like PK because his opinion is opinionated on past times. It's okay for him to have his own opinion. But judging him for that, is you basically doing the same thing. Judging someone by their opinion is wrong just as if his opinion may or may not be wrong.

nah that is just straight up wrong. Some opinions are inherently more wrong and harmful than others. His opinion that I don't deserve the same rights and opportunities because I am a woman is inherently more harmful than my opinion that his opinion is bad. If I was saying he was a garbage person because he doesn't like pineapple on pizza, that would be intolerant of me. He's saying I don't deserve to have certain things based on the fact that I am a woman. That's wrong, and I have the right to say it is.

If he had held this bad opinion, and then realized it was wrong and apologized, I wouldn't have a problem with him. This opinion of his is not in the past tense. This is a harmful idea he is perpetuating in the here and now.

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2019, 06:31 PM by bbjygm.)

07-11-2019, 06:24 PMItssYoBoiDaLegend Wrote:
07-11-2019, 06:21 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: I truly am not even sure how to dissect this to respond to it. We can’t tell people they’re being sexist without...also saying that slavery was bad? Yes...These are both bad things.

Yeah, but slavery is illegal now. PenKnight's sexist opinions are his CURRENT opinions. I'd hate on America if it was CURRENTLY practicing slavery, but it is not. I'd stop hating on PenKnight if he stopped being sexist (edit: or even clarified he doesn't like the sound of female vocals instead of the overwhelming evidence that he doesn't like females in sports).

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats

Never forget

07-11-2019, 06:29 PMsköldpaddor Wrote:
07-11-2019, 06:24 PMItssYoBoiDaLegend Wrote: No you aren't getting what I am saying. I said you hate these countries because they did have slavery in them. So you don't like PK because his opinion is opinionated on past times. It's okay for him to have his own opinion. But judging him for that, is you basically doing the same thing. Judging someone by their opinion is wrong just as if his opinion may or may not be wrong.

nah that is just straight up wrong. Some opinions are inherently more wrong and harmful than others. His opinion that I don't deserve the same rights and opportunities because I am a woman is inherently more harmful than my opinion that his opinion is bad. If I was saying he was a garbage person because he doesn't like pineapple on pizza, that would be intolerant of me. He's saying I don't deserve to have certain things based on the fact that I am a woman. That's wrong, and I have the right to say it is.

If he had held this bad opinion, and then realized it was wrong and apologized, I wouldn't have a problem with him. This opinion of his is not in the past tense. This is a harmful idea he is perpetuating in the here and now.

But pot meet kettle both black. It is also wrong to solely judge him, and base a person off probably their background because a person has a certain opinion based on a certain time set. I by no means agree with PK. Which is okay, but I'm also not gonna judge him very harshly based on his opinion.

07-11-2019, 06:28 PMItssYoBoiDaLegend Wrote:
07-11-2019, 06:25 PMbbjygm Wrote: "I get annoyed by some women who are announcing hockey games. Like the one who was doing the Blues games for a little bit. She was just annoying imo, but it's not sexist for me to say that because it's nothing against women it's just her being a little annoying."

It might be based on their voice is annoying too, but it might be that it is a feminist voice, but point blank judging him this harshly is more immaturity than just bringing it up.

I thought he was referring to that, as well, but it really just looks like he doesn't like them in sports.

[Image: G4MdWTN.jpg]

He "[doesn't] like women announcing sports in general" and "[doesn't] like em talking sport". That sounds more like he doesn't like women talking sports content rather than he doesn't like women's voices announcing.

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats

Never forget

07-11-2019, 06:29 PMbbjygm Wrote:
07-11-2019, 06:24 PMItssYoBoiDaLegend Wrote: No you aren't getting what I am saying. I said you hate these countries because they did have slavery in them. So you don't like PK because his opinion is opinionated on past times. It's okay for him to have his own opinion. But judging him for that, is you basically doing the same thing. Judging someone by their opinion is wrong just as if his opinion may or may not be wrong.

Yeah, but slavery is illegal now. PenKnight's sexist opinions are his CURRENT opinions. I'd hate on America if it was CURRENTLY practicing slavery, but it is not. I'd stop hating on PenKnight if he stopped being sexist (edit: or even clarified he doesn't like the sound of female vocals instead of the overwhelming evidence that he doesn't like females in sports).

I am not saying I agree with what his opinions are, or even protecting him, but it also isn't right to judge him so harshly based on his opinions of his background on a public forum. It causes more drama than their needs to be.