Create Account

The Dragons talk about 50 seasons of the SHL

Ready For Grading - 2307 Words

The Calgary Press and Media Outlets came up with questions to ask the Calgary Dragons about the 50th anniversary of the SHL. Here are some of the responses. Thank you to @Steelhead77 @Mike Izzy @mstuk41 @Weretarantula @ACapitalChicago

1. Who would be in your Mount Rushmore of Calgary Dragons and what's your reasoning behind those selections.
Esa: This is very difficult, over 50 seasons Calgary has had many great players that have impacted the team and the league in different ways. Some were historic members like Ryan Jesster, Kain Webb and some more recent members with big impacts like Izzy, Joe K and of course many in between like Esa, Randleman, Pedersen, Boychuk, Wong, etc, etc. I could pick 4 before my time, 4 during my time and 4 after my time and still wouldn't feel I did everyone justice. Also where do players and GM rank, like is this strictly player based or does GM and co-GM's come into play... Ofer, c00kies, Park, NateyD, etc. I guess I will go strictly players.. Esa Anrikkanen is probably the easiest choice, huge impact for the team and league over a very long time, all-time points, goals and 5 cups gets him on there. Then I'd say it's between Jesster and Wong for the goalie, maybe we can put half their faces on one head.. Let's go with Ryan Jesster based on him being an inaugural member of the league, 1st ever draft pick 1st overall, won 2 cups and is well known in history with an award named after him for rookie of the year in SHL. Wongy is #1 in my heart tho for being my teammate all those years and winning 3 cups together. Next I'd probably say Randy Randleman, he was a huge player in his prime, 1st overall pick in my 1st year as GM, spearheaded the Dragons dynasty that won 3 cups in 6 seasons from S27-S32 and went to multiple finals, eventually ending up with 5 cups on the Dragons and he won two MVP's and had a dominant run as a top player. 4th is impossibly difficult for me, probably a half dozen players I could choose for different reasons, Webb, Smirnov, Pedersen, Boychuk, Wong, Joe K, Izzy, etc and prob a few others I'm forgetting. So I'm going to choose someone recent who I feel has had a major impact on the league and our team over the last 15+ seasons, playing every game of his career in Calgary and has been the face of the franchise for a long time. Mike Izzy gets the nod as the 4th person on my mount rushmore for his incredible impact and help within the Dragons organization. Jesus, that was difficult..

Izzy: I think it starts of course with 'the Icon' Esa Anrikkanen who was the first SHL member to reach 2000 TPE and the first SHL player to reach 1,000 points. The Parm-King won the sites Vidrik Onoprienko Lifetime Dedication award and also had an award named after him in the SMJHL for top juniors rookie! Anrikkanen would be on the SHL's mount rushmore so needless to say hes at the head of the names here in Calgary.. bottom line is when you think of the Calgary Dragons the first name that pops up is Esa Anrikkanen.

I would then add Ryan Jesster.. an iconic SHL netminder who played back in the leagues inception and can boast being 1 of the franchises first superstars. Jesster was the 1st in a long line of goalie greats for the organization racking up 257 wins and a trip to the leagues hall of fame. The Ryan jesster award for team MVP is 1 of the 2 Calgary awards given out each season.. a name saturated into the fabric of Dragon lure and a no brainer in the Calgary mount rushmore.
-
I would then choose another backstop and add Hunter Wong to the mix. On stats alone this is one of the most acclaimed players at any position to ever play in the SHL. 3rd all time in SHL wins with 367.. Hunter Wong boasts 5 challenge cup championships! Wongy was such a rock in net, you always felt like you had a chance each and every season due to how consistantly great he was.

With a franchise as rich with good people and great talent as Calgary, that 4th name is a tough one to choose. so i would have this last face shared with a group of players who are all deserving of this accolade. Players like Randy Randelman who scored close to 900 points and is considered one of the greatest players of all time... Nicholas pedersen AKA #Zombiepeds who boasts 675 points, 5 league titles and a member of the leagues HOF. a Joe Kurczewski who for 11 seasons was the captain and face of this franchise and 1 of the great players in the modern era and maybe even a Mike Izzy who is moving towards being a Dragons lifer.. on his way to some big milestones within Calgary and the league

Pedersen: Esa Anrikkanen - the architect of the franchise, and leading scorer in the history of the SHL , Nicholas Pedersen - the catalyst - once acquired from LA, the Dragons took the next step from just missing the playoffs to contending for the Cup. Winner of 5 cups with the Dragons, HOF member, 8th All Time Leading Scorer , Randy Randleman - The Face of the Dynasty - Top player in the league during a sustained period of time. Joe K - Took the Reins from Randleman then passed them over to Izzy, Without those three there wouldnt have been 5 cups in Calgary.

Bouchard: Well honestly I haven't been with the team long enough to have enough of a knowledge to make an extensive or accurate list. So just going off who I've had interactions with it has to be:
Esa A, for absolutely obvious reasons, but the main one being he's the pinnacle of being a Dragon
Mike Izzy, for being the hardest working dude on the site and always striving to motivate the entire team
Kata Vilde, for being the backbone of the entire team
and Piotr C, for being the alumni that still loves Calgary to the death

Weston: Oh god I'm so new I have no idea. Total crapshoot, the only people I can think of are Esa because he recruited me, Izzy because he's had great seasons and video creations, Eggy for the name recognition, and my boy RaginCajun because he's my guy and he deserves that recognition.

2. What's the legacy that Dragons GM Esa Anrikkanen has generated over the seasons in the SHL?

Esa: I'm not big on talking about myself so I'll just say I've tried to run this organization with class and respect while remaining competitive every season and think I've done a pretty good job of it, my record speaks for itself. Also the Parm King legacy is pretty fun.

Weston: Esa has created a legacy that will last as a management that truly cares about their players. When I reached out to members of the Militia/Kraken team all of them had nothing but amazing things to say about Esa, even asking me to reach out and tell him they say hi. Esa truly does a fantastic job at making everyone feel welcome, and that legacy will last in the history books alongside the success of the team.

Pedersen: Flat out he is the best GM in the history of the league. End of story

Bouchard: The greatest player to have ever been? Winning 5 cups and setting all sorts of awesome records in the process? It's pretty much self explanatory if you ask me.

3. Which teams do you think are apart of the Greatest teams to be assembled in the 50 seasons that SHL has been in existence?
Weston: EZ question: Montreal Militia, SMJHL S49.

Esa: Wow another hard one, your killing me CFJ! Man, this is tough. I can only speak from the time I've been here, S17-S50, but I remember a few dominant teams, I think Edmonton had a juggernaut back in the mid-teens, then Calgary and New England were dominant in the early 30's with some top teams, but I think the best team every assembled were the S40 Dragons. We had a pretty stacked roster and then added two premier free agents in Louie Garrett and Adam Kaiser in the same off-season, everyone lost their minds and we went on to win the Cup in S40. That was probably the best team I've had in my 27 seasons as GM and probably ranks up there all-time as well.

Izzy: Tough question! ... off the top of my head that Edmonton Blizzard team in the mid 40's that had JoeK, Demaricus Smyth, Oisen Fletcher, Teddy Cuddles, Brady Mac, Tor Tuck etc.... that team was viscious! 1 of the only unstoppable regular season teams that carried it into the post season. I dont think anyone had a chance to beat them that season. Also, the Winnipeg Jets in season 37 was just filthy! a team that had jay Visser Cory Bearrs, Max Weber, Zach Evans, Luke Fleming and Big Manious all in their primes ... That team from 37-41 was a dynasty even though they didnt win many cups. and last.. and lastly our Dragons s40 squad may be the greatest lineup the leagues ever seen with Joe Kurczewski, Mike Izzy, Esa Anrikkanen, Dani Forsberg, Louie Garrett, Nicholas Pedersen, Alex Mach, Big Game Boychuck, Adam kaiser, Randy Randelman and more! i think there could end up being at least 8 hall of famers on that roster in S40.

Bouchard: I'm too young to know this, sorry.

4. If you were able to bring a franchise back to the SHL or SMJHL, which team would bring back. And which users would you appoint as GMs?

Esa: Man another tough one... I'd probably say the Seattle Riot because I always liked their GM Gifter Of Bikes and I know he worked hard to keep that team going, it'd be cool to see them come back and for him to GM again. Other than him, there's a lot of qualified current members who'd do do a great job and would be deserving, but how about McZ as GM just to see what would happen to the league..

Weston: Unfortunately I'm not able to really give an answer to this one, but I would certainly like to say that I'd probably pick Michael Fitted to GM a team because that would be the greatest team to ever exist.

Bouchard: Bring back Seattle and appoint Samee for teh lulz

Pedersen: German Beirdrinkers - McZ

5. Who's the best Simmer in your opinion? Is it Jack Cross? JayWhy? JR? Evok?

Esa: Damnit CFJ you're killing me. All were fantastic simmers honestly and ones I GM'd under so I appreciate all of their work, each has strengths for a different reason and kind of implemented different things during different eras. All hard working simmers. I'll just be lame and say Jack Cross, because he kind of re-set the bar for simmers at the time he took over and provided stability, I think JY, Evok and JR have continued the trend he started and improved on it, so kudos to all of them.

Izzy: I wasnt around for Jack Cross, but weve been lucky to have all of these members as our simmers, each of them took the role serious and did the job well. Being a simmer takes great commitment and dedication.. hundreds of people look forward to what you bring to the site each day, all of these above did there job well..

Pedersen: Jack Cross

Weston: So far I have very little experience on this, but I'd just have to say CampinKiller because that's whom we won the Four Star Cup under and it was great.

Bouchard: JR has always been consistent from what I've seen, although I have no reason to crap on the others. We'll go with JR.

6. Which current SHL record will be broken the fastest and who do you think will break it?

Esa: Hard to say, I think Visser will break my all-time points record and I'd be the first to congratulate him. Izzy's reasonably close on the all-time hits record as well if he plays another 4-5 seasons and keeps hitting at the same rate. There could be others I'm not thinking of as well. (This was answered before Visser announced his retirement)

Izzy: Well, the Augment is eyeing up the all time hits record currently held by SHL great Taylor McDavid. Its going to be hard to catch him cause Taylor was a great player who stayed around a while and layed the wood on allot of people.... but Izzy has a punchers chance.

Pedersen: I dont pay enough attention anymore.

Weston: Probably the most goals and it'll happen this season thanks to some great work being done by goal scorers, however I do think that it'll happen first in the SMJHL thanks to the reason cap changes.

Follow up question to Weston, Who in the SMJHL do you think will break that record?

Weston: Hmmm that's a good question. Bias question, Ricky Bobby. Most goals on the Kraken and although we're in a slump he's still going at a great pace to break it. Realistically, I'd put it between Jake Primeau and Jagger Fouquette, and I think Primeau has the edge. Both are currently the leading goal scorers, and while Fouquette has the Goal and TPE edge, Primeau has more consistent activity which I think will carry him through the season

Bouchard: It won't be games played I can tell you that much. I honestly have no idea what the best answer is though. All of them are extremely difficult.

[Image: Crossfit.gif]

[Image: CFJ1.gif]

Thanks to prettyburn, TML, Carpy, JNH, Jepox, Engi, Karey, Flappy, Skolpadder, Mook, DollarAndADream, Smirnov and Toe for the sigs.

Code:
Crossfit's First Career SHL Goal, 4. Manhattan Rage , Crossfit Jesus 1 (Pedro Sarantez, Nucky Toohoots) at 5:51

Code:
Devitt's First Career SHL Goal, 5. Calgary Dragons , Prince Devitt 1 (Barry Batsbak 21, Mike Izzy 14) at 10:43

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2019, 03:51 PM by ArGarBarGar.)

"Esa: Hard to say, I think Visser will break my all-time points record and I'd be the first to congratulate him."

This one aged well.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

10-25-2019, 03:51 PMArGarBarGar Wrote: "Esa: Hard to say, I think Visser will break my all-time points record and I'd be the first to congratulate him."

This one aged well.

Beat me to the punch.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page