Create Account

S53 WFT #4 - Make The Case

Ola Wagstrom is the SHL MVP

This is an absolute YES in my books. Wagstrom is averaging over a goal a game. This is an unprecedented level of cerebral scoring ability, and New England would be much worse off without this assassin on their first line. Wagstrom is a certified beast.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

[Image: scarn.png]

[Image: m59RPb7.png] [Image: czechup.png]
[Image: giphy.gif][Image: giphy.gif]

The Los Angeles Panthers will finish the regular season atop the Western Conference. Sitting at the top of the conference at the moment is where the Panthers belong with a 0.736 win percentage. Hopefully the Panthers carry this momentum into the regular season.

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2020, 12:47 AM by Nhamlet.)

Code:
Detroit will win the 4-Star Cup
For. They've proven so far that they are able to dominate opponents on a regular basis. Even when they have an off game or two, it's still not going to be significant enough of a factor in a 7 game series where they'll ultimately win the series regardless. Looking at their current season in 7 game segments, there's not been any point where they've lost 4 games in a row. Weirdly enough their 4 losses were against weaker teams, Carolina, Maine and Vancouver. When it came to OT losses, they lost against Anchorage and Colorado who should be more competitive. Simply put, there's no reason why they would lose out in any 7 game series, even against St Louis.

Code:
Wagstrom probably will end up being the SHL MVP winner although I personally disagree with it. He has been finishing a significant number of goals for his teams but majority of his teammates are stars in their own right so in some ways, Wagstrom building towards being an offensive star is just him doing his job. Definitely doing a great job of it but when I consider the most valuable players, Wagstrom feels like a player that the Wolves could still be incredibly skilled without. Maybe not quite the favorite without him. If the Rage makes the playoffs, Luke Thomason would be one pick, Flacko Lagerfield has also had a Wagstrom esque offense production on a team far weaker in TPE and much fewer scorers. Those are also in the running for MVP in my opinion.

Code:
Toronto will "beat out" Tampa Bay for the worst team in the league
For. It's not really that hard of thing for them to beat out Tampa. They're picking up some points here and there but their goal against differential is just horrible. Tampa is at 130 goals against which is right in line with other teams that are bad. Yet Toronto is on a historic level of bad when it comes to allowing goals at 197 even though they've played just 35 games. At this pace you're looking at another almost 100 goals. If they make 400 GA I think that deserves a banner of its own.

Code:
Andrej Doskocil is the toughest guy in the SHL
Against. Only reason this point is made is because he's currently near the top in hits at about 202 but easily if you had to go for toughest SOB then there's only one real choice. Slip McGruff 186 hits, 122 shot blocked. The value of shotblocks is far more important for me. Can you imagine having other pro skaters whipping slappers at you and you're diving in just to maybe block a shot that could go wide? McGruff more like McTough. Actually that's really bad. McGruff, toughest motherfucker for sure.

Code:
Someone with fewer than 425 TPE will win the SMJHL MVP award
For. Some meaning Edward Williams? Yeah sure he might have two 425 wingers playing on his line but this guy is doing his part and more. I have no idea how he's doing it. Honestly, I'm staring at his build as a nightly ritual trying to figure out why the fuck this guy has as many points as he does. I still don't know. In the end he's leading by far above anybody else and he honestly deserves it even though I could make the same arguments about Wagstrom for him. The main difference is the fact that he's getting it done with 75 TPE compared to his peers and performing heads and shoulders above everybody else on his team and in the league.

Code:
The New Orleans Specters will be the best SHL team to miss the playoffs
For. This would mean that 1) Specters miss the playoffs and 2) Are the best team to miss it. If Manhattan was at serious risk to miss then I would argue that they were the better team but it's likely they'll make it in. With talent like a 1800 TPE goalie, 1500 defenseman, 1600 forward, 1900 forward, 1300 defenseman, 1300 forward, 1500 forward, and finally another 1800 forward I'd certainly say so. They're too good to miss out on the playoffs especially since they don't have the likes of Hamilton or New England to deal with. Yet it seems like everybody else in Calgary, Edmonton and Los Angeles just has that slight edge over them.

Code:
A goalie will win the SHL rookie of the year award
For. I could see it. Luca Del Vecchio would be my pick for a potential rookie of the year award. While they haven't got the best record in goal against stats, it's unsurprising considering the number of shots he faces on a regular basis. The biggest deal is the more singular focused stat that he can control and that is save percentage. Del Vecchio spots a 0.919SV which is good for 3rd in the league among starting goalies. Considering the shit show that he hasn't to go through sometimes, it's amazing that he's able to do as well as he does. Not to mention the 76 game rating means FHM agrees with this take.

Code:
The player with the most assists in this season will have the most assists in a season in SHL history (current record is Elias Armia's 60 from the Inflation Era in S11)
Against. The current leader in assists is Mcshotty with 32 assist in 33 games. He's already got Ola Wagstrom who is on a tear but to expect Mcshotty to continue to overwhelm his current production on top of what's already going on to the point of finding another 28 assists in just 17 games is straight crazy.

Code:
One team (Texas or New England) will finish the season without a single OT Loss
Against. Shit's gonna happen. All it takes is one close game and I can see either of them getting into a nail biter.

Code:
The SMJHL's West is better than the East
For. If we look strictly at total TPE, the West has 29,207 total TPE among its 5 teams. The East has 28,951 which is honestly almost a rounding error when looking at the number of players involved.
[Image: Oczlrlj.png]

In terms of points per game, the West has 1.069 points per game, whereas the East achieved 1.047 points per game. I think the combination of the two things is enough to say that yes, the West is just a little bit better than the East from what we've seen even though I'm inclined to be biased that with the combination of St Louis and Detroit they should be better but so far the weight of Carolina and Maine pulls down the East as an average.

Code:
The Los Angeles Panthers will finish the regular season atop the Western Conference
For.
Credits to smalinkowski of the SHN
[Image: unknown.png]

With the most recent power ranking, while it's been a few games since then, LAP has been running their games despite struggling to get the scoring/goaltending that might be expected of them. If they can have their luck swing the other way on both sides of the puck, I wouldn't be surprised to see them at the top, especially since their division has quite a few teams for them to feast on.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

Code:

Ola Wagstrom is no doubt the MVP. Wagstrom puts up so many shots that there's no doubt in my mind they'll win the scoring title and deservedly so the MVP award.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

Toronto will "beat out" Tampa Bay for the worst team in the league

FOR! In the perpetual race to the bottom of the barrel that is the East, nobody does better than Toronto. Toronto, in this bastardized alternate universe the SHL lives in invented the tank, and nobody's come close to perfecting it the way they have. STHS prevented them from reaching their true potential, like it did so many of us, but FHM keeps a man (and team) honest, and is gonna weld shut the hatches on the tank as Toronto plummets.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2020-07-07_at_12.29.58_PM.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2020, 04:57 AM by TheHockeyist.)

The SMJHL's West is better than the East

For. Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Minnesota, my team. What's not there to love about the West? I mean, Toronto sucks, Hamilton sucks, New England sucks, everyone sucks in the east.

EDIT: Oh, I misread that as the SHL's West, not the SMJHL's. Oops. Uh... can I still get credit for this? It's almost 04:00 here and I'm too tired to edit.

[Image: x9gTXZa.gif]

S48 Four Star Cup Champion (Vancouver Whalers)

For,

Ola scores when he wants, he also scores when he does not really feel like scoring, but somehow the puck just goes into the net. Natural goal scorer and one of the best shooters we have seen in SHL maybe ever.

The New Orleans Specters will be the best SHL team to miss the playoffs.

Even though 5th on the west is all but settled yet I hope for my seasons predictions sake above statement to be true, so I think Nola will just barely miss it and consider them to be stronger than Chicago which I expect to be left out on Eastern Conference.

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

Code:
Detroit will win the 4-Star Cup

I hate to say that but I agree with this (60%)

Detroit is good this season they are dominating versus all teams but there is one BUT ... They had bad history with play-offs, usually didn't reach finals but we will see... As I'm Scarecrows player I would like that they lose in first round.. haha..
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2020, 08:53 AM by Ferda.)

Quote:A goalie will win the SHL rookie of the year award

AGAINST. The highest TPE rookie likely isn't a goalie and likely isn't even close to remotely being any good because they aren't even past 1k TPE which is way too low to have very good stats unless the team they're on is fortunate enough to have a defense that is comprised of only 1k+ TPE players.

I strongly believe that Elizabeth Doyle @Evok is the best example of this as the Buffalo Stampede are likely to have at least 5 defensemen with over 1k TPE in S54. Her high TPE earnings along with the strong defense in front of her places her as one of the clear favourites to win rookie of the year next season. :peepocozy:

[Image: image.png]
[Image: dankestmemes69420.gif]

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]
Armada        Canada        Stampede
Falcons        Usa

Quote:Toronto will "beat out" Tampa Bay for the worst team in the league

Umm, duh? Just looking at the most basic of indicators here. Toronto is 5 points behind Tampa Bay, and have 9 points in the standings in 35 games. If they maintain a similar pace in their remaining games, it would take them 55 games just to catch Tampa Bay's current position. Additionally, Toronto have 60 goals scored to Tampa's 62, and 197 goals allowed to Tampa's 130. In other words, Toronto's goal differential is -137 vs "just" -68 for Tampa Bay, indicating that the North Stars are, say, 50 goals worse than Tampa over the same number of games. If anything I expect that Tampa Bay will actually continue to distance themselves from Toronto. Also, the North Stars have been tainted by defenseman Jack Kanoff's presence, who is sucking the life force out of their SHL roster to fuel his unnaturally productive season in the SMJHL. I demand that HO investigate this abuse by Kanoff and dole out the appropriate punishment for cheating.

[Image: xOtrQ61.gif]

For because Ola is having an awsome season on NEW which also ahves an awsome season. I also bet on Ola to win the cup so i hope he does well!

[Image: Bananabread.gif] 

Thank you @Carpy48, @honkerrs

Quote:The SMJHL's West is better than the East

I guess this just depends on what you consider to be best? Is it based off of top to bottom depth, so the West is considered a better conference because the shitty west teams are better than the shitty east teams? Or do you look at only the strong teams in the conference, where Detroit is clearly the best team in the league, and St. Louis is clearly the second best team in the league. Yes, I said St. Louis is the second best team. Although they are 6 points back of Anchorage for the official second spot, they have 4 games in hand, and are 5-1 since trading for Trevino, with the only loss being to Det. St. Louis and Detroit should meet in the ECFs in a matchup that will likely be better than the actual finals.

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

Code:

Against,

Sure, Andrej Doskocil is a goon but that's it, Shaquille Derisraka too.  I, Slip McScruff, am the toughest guy in the SHL.  I've got about 90% of the hits they do, but I'm also trending towards double the shot blocks of Doskocil and 7x Derisraka.  However, two more stats really seal the deal.  I'm not taking dumb penalties (28 PIMs vs 104 Doskocil and 122 Derisraka) and I'm getting take aways (28 vs 13 and 6).  I'm playing a tough game and they are just playing tough.

Maybe if someone would drop the gloves with me, you'd get this crap out of your mouth.

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

Code:

FOR! This guy is one of the toughest dudes I have ever played against. He is so gritty along the boards and he just finds ways to make defensive plays. He is definitely one of those guys that you can count on to play hurt and give it his all every shift.

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]