Create Account

S55 mPT #1 - Home Ice Advantage

I'll be the first to tell you that I hate to admit it, but it's beyond obvious that the Detroit Falcons have the best Home Ice Advantage. That "SKREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!" really makes your ears bleed. Then you can't hear your teammates.

Which reminds me. Why does it look like the Falcons players wear ear plugs during home games? Do they have headsets? Use mental telepathy to communicate? 

I always get more prone to drinking after a game in Detroit.

The Carolina Kraken have one of the best home ice advantages because of how passionate their fans are but also because of how the stadium is constructed. The curves of the roof make the crowd noise so unbelievably loud, if you aren't used to it, you can barely here yourself think. It can really mess with the players and coaches who don't visit very often putting them at a real disadvantage.

[Image: image0.jpg][Image: bordon.png]

Manhattan has an impressive home ice advantage as their tickets are so expensive, only the snob rich people that live in Manhattan can afford to go to their games and they all support their home team when they aren't too busy talking on their phones during the game.

[Image: lebbish.gif]

I decided to do a small stat dive to see who has the best home-ice advantage in the SHL so far in this young S55 season. So for starters, I looked at each team's points per game at home this season:

1. BUF (2)
  2. EDM (2)
  3. NOL (2)
  4. CHI (1.6)
  5. LAP (1.6)
  6. HAM (1.56)
  7. NEW (1.5)
  8. CGY (1.13)
  9. TEX (1)
  10. BAP (0.875)
  11. MAN (0.67)
  12. SFP (0.5)
  13. TBB (0.44)
  14. MIN (0.33)
  15. WPG (0.25)
  16. TOR (0)
However for me, the question of biggest home ice advantage isn't answered by who the best team at home ice, but rather who has the biggest increase in stats at home vs. on the road. The best teams in the league will obviously have good home stats, but also good away stats, so do they have a home ice advantage or are they just good in general? So instead of raw points per game, I looked at the difference between points per game at home vs. on the road:

1. NEW (+1)
  2. LAP (+0.85)
  3. EDM (+0.75)
  4. CHI (+0.71)
  5. TBB (+0.44)
  6. NOL (+0.38)
  7. BAP (+0.38)
  8. BUF (+0.33)
  9. HAM (+0.15)
  10. MIN (+0.048)
  11. TOR (-0.25)
  12. CGY (-0.38)
  13. TEX (-0.5)
  14. WPG (-0.5)
  15. MAN (-0.63)
  16. SFP (-0.7)
So it looks like New England has the biggest increase of points per game at home vs. the road. But before I declare them the best advantage, I also wanted to look at the difference in goal differential per game at home vs. away, to see if any teams are really blowing teams out more at home than on the road, or keeping games much closer at home than they do on the road:

1. LAP (+4.98)
  2. TBB (+4.08)
  3. NOL (+3.18)
  4. CHI (+2.96)
  5. NEW (+2.5)
  6. HAM (2.4)
  7. BAP (+2.3)
  8. TOR (+1.9)
  9. EDM (+0.79)
  10. BUF (+.29)
  11. CGY (-0.13)
  12. MIN (-0.62)
  13. TEX (-1.3)
  14. SFP (-1.4)
  15. MAN (-1.8)
  16. WPG (-3.3)
It turns out that the Panthers are seeing an increase in the goal differential between them and their opponents at always 5 goals more per game at home than away. Combining that with their 2nd place, +0.85 points per game increase at home, I think it's safe to declare them as having the biggest home ice advantage at the far-to-early-to-tell stage of the S55 season. 

I decided to do the same thing for S54 since we have a season's worth of data, and Hamilton or Texas would win for last season. HAM had a +0.64 points per game increase and +1.96 goal differential increase at home compared to away, while TEX had a 0.76 points per game increase and a +1.72 goal differential increase at home compared to away.   

As an additional note, the best home ice advantage in the SMJHL is hands down the NL Berserkers. Their goal horn apparently tilts the fuck out of the entire league, so I can't imagine how much it must get in opponents head when they have to hear it 5 times a night in St. John's.

[Image: smalinowski7.gif]
Sigs: Thanks JNH, Lime, Carpy, and ckroyal92 

It would probably be the Hamilton Steelhawks, just due to how cultish their following is. I swear, if the team tells the fans they need to jump off the nearest bridge to score better, they most certainly will.

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]

Manhattan has one of the best home ice advantage teams in the league because we play in the busiest cities in the world, and we have some of the loudest fans so we scare smol bad players

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Buffalo has the best home ice advantage just because they are the best team in the league. Due to that, they are more unlikely to lose at home than any other team in the league

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

Texas has the best home ice advantage in the SHL. Very few teams in the SHL know what it's like to step out of 100 degree heat right onto a hockey rink. The ice hits differently in these warm environments, and it can take some getting used to. The Renegades live with that sort of ice and heat and I believe that plays to their advantage.

[Image: DrbPYHV.png] [Image: UDyqktK.png]

It has to be my former team the Anaheim Outlaws. Everyone dresses like bandits and giant fatheads of Outlungus everywhere. Every time  we score a gunshot goes off and the Saloon goes crazy. We had the best fans there.

[Image: 15Ng51w.png][Image: draNOgf.png]

Buffalo has the best home ice advantage. Just like their players, their fans are memers. They can easily get in people's heads and under their skin and just don't care.

[Image: dakiller11.gif]
somebody please make me a sig

Anchorage for sure has the best home ice advantage. Not only am I completely biased in this opinion but it is also the furthest travel time for any of the other teams so they often arrived tired and not up to their usual level of energy.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

Edmonton has one of if not the best home ice advantage purely due to the fact that it is such a long lasting franchise with fans throughout decades as opposed to a more recent team such as Chicago or New Orleans.

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

Best home team advantage I can think of has got to be The Chicago Syndicate. When you’re entire operation right down to the shuttle service to and from the airport is owned by the Mafia, it’s easy for “accidents” to happen to the other team and/or their equipment.

[Image: Spicy_Funko.jpg]
Player Page             Update Thread

Anaheim definitely has the home team advantage, players are super motivated knowing that if they play hard during the game and can finish it off in regulation that'll be more time that they can spend down at Disney Land after the games over.

the Steelhawks definitely have an advantage over all the other teams with the Ben Waters goal horn, it motivates them to score more so that they can hear his beautiful voice again.

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

[Image: unknown.png]