Create Account

Open letter:Expansion GM announcement
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2020, 06:34 PM by .bojo.)

08-15-2020, 06:18 PMhhh81 Wrote: I lose internet for 5 days and all hell breaks loose
.you keep us together like the h's in your name

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

08-15-2020, 11:38 AMCount Chocula Wrote:
08-15-2020, 02:07 AMSegi Wrote: Sometimes I do feel like a lot of people in the SHL community have a bit of a problem with telling people "no". This is not just for job applications, but for other aspects on the site as well. I've contacted very active internationally unassigned members to never hear anything back until they transfer somewhere. I've heard SHL GMs say the same about free agents. I don't get what's so hard about telling people that you're not interested in their team or that unfortunately, you can't give them the job they applied for.

I'm sorry if this is a little off topic, but it's something that has been on my mind for a while now.

Why waste time telling 50 people No, when they'll find out they didn't get the job in the announcement post.
Because we're all human beings investing our time in this game; it will literaly cost you like 30 seconds per app and make you not look like a bag of dicks.

Nothing as frustrating in here as applying for something you want, and not even getting a response to acknowledge your application. 

But I guess in some less developed countries it is normal practice to not respond to job applications.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

1. notification of receipt of the application
2. notification of rejection including feedback for the first cuts
3. interview if necessary
4. notification of being selected or not being selected and post forum announcement

This adds all of 5-10 minutes to the whole process for someone in HO and helps the site feel less shit to users who care enough to be willing to waste real hours on it beyond just being a player. I don't know why people think this site is supposed to operate the same as normal jobs, it's literally a website for fun that relies on people sticking around. If you make the application process feel like shit, the whole site will just feel worse for people who care about it and be more frustrating than it needs to be. Regardless of how this one went, it has been clear to most people for years that the job application process could use some more communication, and hey if that's too much work why not hire someone to handle it for HO for some SHL cash?

08-15-2020, 07:25 PMspooked Wrote: 1. notification of receipt of the application
4. notification of being selected or not being selected and post forum announcement

This adds all of 5-10 minutes to the whole process for someone in HO and helps the site feel less shit to users who care enough to be willing to waste real hours on it beyond just being a player. I don't know why people think this site is supposed to operate the same as normal jobs, it's literally a website for fun that relies on people sticking around. If you make the application process feel like shit, the whole site will just feel worse for people who care about it and be more frustrating than it needs to be. Regardless of how this one went, it has been clear to most people for years that the job application process could use some more communication, and hey if that's too much work why not hire someone to handle it for HO for some SHL cash?

Did you just invent SHL HR? I think you just invented an HR department.

MORE POWERFUL THAN THE OWNERS. RED TAPE, RED TAPE

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

08-15-2020, 07:33 PMhhh81 Wrote:
08-15-2020, 07:25 PMspooked Wrote: 1. notification of receipt of the application

[Image: Toby-Paul-Lieberstein-The-Office-750x400.jpg]

[Image: Wally.png]

No way that adds only 5-10 minutes to the entire process, come on.

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

08-15-2020, 07:33 PMhhh81 Wrote:

Am i the only one that read this and thought that it was actually a good idea to have like a HR department or like some people that can do some tasks for the commish under his belt or what not? In this situation, you could have had someone take that job and contact everyone who did not get an interview or what not and they would handle those conversations? The commishes and the HO have enough on their plates like they say, so maybe having some sort of HR would be able to get the job done in a way that pleases the community

[Image: Bruins10.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic , @Ragnar and @sulovilen for the sexy Signature
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2020, 07:58 PM by Samsung virtual assistant.)

08-15-2020, 07:48 PMBruins10 Wrote:
08-15-2020, 07:33 PMhhh81 Wrote: Did you just invent SHL HR? I think you just invented an HR department.

Am i the only one that read this and thought that it was actually a good idea to have like a HR department or like some people that can do some tasks for the commish under his belt or what not? In this situation, you could have had someone take that job and contact everyone who did not get an interview or what not and they would handle those conversations? The commishes and the HO have enough on their plates like they say, so maybe having some sort of HR would be able to get the job done in a way that pleases the community

I'd take that job and deliver all the bad news

But apparently i'm from an underdeveloped country so maybe i'd be a bad choice. :D

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

08-15-2020, 07:45 PMKeygan Wrote:

You're right, it's even less. I typed out the following messages and copy/pasted them into 16 different DMs on Discord to see how long it would take just as a reference. The total time of writing, copying, and pasting, took 4 minutes and 13 seconds.

1. "Hi there ________, we at SHL HO have received your application."

2. "Hi there ________, we at SHL HO wanted to inform you that we have decided to move on with other applicants for the position."

3. See below.

4. "Hi there ________, we at SHL want to thank you for your time in applying for this position. Unfortunately we have decided to select another applicant for this position. This was a very competitive process, and we would like to thank you for your time and encourage you to reach out about positions in the future."

The only reason #3 doesn't have anything is because A) If there weren't any interviews at all then that sure saves some time and B) interviews can vary in terms of when people are available and how long they take, but if that becomes such an issue then why can't HO just extend the decision-making process longer than the 48 hours or however long it was?

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

08-15-2020, 07:33 PMhhh81 Wrote: Did you just invent SHL HR? I think you just invented an HR department.

A sort of HR department would probably be an overall net positive addition to the site.

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

Oh, no, I think it's a good idea. I would be quite good at it, I feel, considering I've been doing follow up with some degree of substantive feedback for SMJHL Awards apps for several seasons*.

*this season notwithstanding, just got internet back for the first time since Monday

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

08-15-2020, 04:03 PMJumpierPegasus Wrote: Okay over the years I was and continue to be one of the more staunch anti-HO practices people out there. I've slung my fair share of shit at the way that they handle things

But for this, there are so many fucking apps, and honestly no offense to you guys but at MINIMUM 60% of them aren't even worth looking at. Whether they are just bad apps, people with not near enough experience to ever be the choice for an expansion GM, or whether the team idea isn't good enough. I can say that as a former commish and HO member that some of the apps for fairly easy jobs were pretty bad too I can only imagine in a situation with more on the line such as expansion GM more apps get filtered out easier.

They are not going to interview everyone, there are people who got let go in the first, second, third rounds of cuts. They aren't getting an interview, that is not worth the HO's time if they have made up their mind the player isn't ready. Then maybe that leaves you with 15% of the apps left, which is maybe 5-6 people who realistically could be the choice. Maybe you reach out to 1 or 2 who you are on the fence about but ultimately you know these people. If they are making your top 5 they have a good app and they have proven themselves on the forum, in a league job, or on discord.

Do I agree there was a lack of pomp and circumstance? Yeah. That might be redeemed by the reveals of the teams, who knows. THat is the one complaint that it felt like the new expansion was the same as hiring someone for a graphics grading job in terms of pomp. But I do not fault SHL HO for not reaching out to every applicant. Honestly most of your apps are not good enough

Or you don't have the experience. I've said this once and I'll say this again, you will not be hired for an expansion GM role unless you have straight up years of experience under your belt. It is one of the hardest jobs in the entire league. Expansion has burned out some good members of this league with how hard it has been to build up a team whether it's the expansion in S5, S11, S25, or whether it's the expansion in S56 here. It isn't easy and honestly I wouldn't wish expansion GM on my worst enemy. There is a reason they probably cut down that list to almost nothing right away.

Don't get discouraged, but also don't expect to be reached out to that you didn't get it. By looking in the thread with the announcement you know you didn't get it. HO has a lot of things to deal with that isn't reaching out to 50+ members to tell them each personally they didn't get the job. It's unfortunate but it's just true.

Anyway down with HO, more transparency, #JP4HO, commishes are bitches, eat the rich, etc. etc.
post this essay in the media section

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

08-15-2020, 07:45 PMKeygan Wrote:

It is just sending pms where they currently do not send any. They could be copy pasted for the most part, and the only time consuming portion is already handled in the internal shit. It is not a lot of work.

08-15-2020, 08:22 PMspooked Wrote:
08-15-2020, 07:45 PMKeygan Wrote: No way that adds only 5-10 minutes to the entire process, come on.

It is just sending pms where they currently do not send any. They could be copy pasted for the most part, and the only time consuming portion is already handled in the internal shit. It is not a lot of work.

applied

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

HO is full of lizard people hell bent on keeping the moon from getting the team it rightfully deserves.

Buy my supplements they will make your dong bigger.

[Image: x7WZYBT.gif]
[Image: hTAHbeC.png][Image: OaCJVMI.png] | [Image: pMYriGC.png]