Create Account

The Case for Reducing Cash Wall for Send Downs

Code:
I would put this in suggestions but I also want the pay so it's going here. 3500~ words in the body, plus a small google sheet and a couple graphs if you want to chip in a bit for that too, idk.

ALSO [b]BIG ASS NOTE[/b]: ALL VALUES FOR TPE ARE ONLY CONSIDERING: [color=#C10300]Activity Checks, Weekly Training and Seasonal Coaching[/color]. These are most consistent values and the ones which cost money and for my case, AC and Training are done in tandem and I will mention ACs at the end also for some context. Also all "season" lengths are set to a static 8 weeks. I didn't want to overestimate as it would make things skew a bit more, and 8 weeks seems to be a fairly common value from the start of a season to the next from what I have seen. If you think they're longer the data only makes what im saying is bad look worse, so ha!

I might have errors or typos too, but im going to bed now so I can figure that out tomorrow. Enjoy the read.

I have a proposal that I think should be looked at seriously in order to improve the gameplay experience for newer players, as well as less-cash-heavy recreating players. I think it is one which would improve site activity and, even more so, user retention.

Before I state my proposal, the issue I am trying to address with this post is to improve the ability for less wealthy players to keep up with their cash OR time rich peers. One of the biggest negative experiences on the site currently is that of the send down who runs out of money for training and is either forced to produce media against their will, cannot find a job on the site, or who just gives up entirely due to the negative feelings created when doing lesser training so early on with the site.

The Problem:

They may get some of the best early sim experiences on the site, a very early pay off after having probably the most catered first-season experience possible. One aspect of the site which I think is done nearly perfectly currently is the first season experience. The draft is excellent, the GMs have all been stellar for the most part, the SMJHL knows what it is, and it always aims to do that. Bring players in, give them a good time, hold their hand, and hope they enjoy the site. This unfortunately only serves to make the send down experience on which can very easily make players go inactive or lose all passion they may have had during their first season.

I will clearly state my issue with the current send down gameplay experience now. The SHL is pay to fucking win boys. It just is. Through the first season in the SMJHL, users are given 3 to 4 million dollar contracts usually, maybe more if they are lucky. This amount represents enough money to pretty much do max training (500k) for the entire season up to their SHL draft without doing more than what? 1000 words in media maybe, 500 if during double pay week right after they get drafted? Yes, if they want the seasonal coaching 20tpe they may need to do more, but even that is only 4.5M, a very respectable amount that is reachable over the course of an entire season. But oh boy do they get the short end after the SHL draft.

A send down is a class of player which can usually expect to be among the least paid group of players on their SHL budget, as well as facing the exact same costs as those above them. Meanwhile they generally could even see a pay-cut once drafted, especially in teams which are trying to be as cap efficient as possible, as only two million of their cap hit is covered by the SMJHL team they are playing for and anything too much higher than that could very well impact the SHL roster they are currently not even on.

Yes, this could be another point to adjust the cap in the future or figure out how to better accommodate send downs beyond just the 2 million “free”, but it’s not important right now since we just changed it and were in a holding pattern on that front, a totally respectable stance to take at the moment. I think we could do better here, but I will move on for today.

What I think could be a more practical approach to resolving at least some of this issue without heavily impacting the overall balance of the league is to provide training cost relief for send downs, or potentially low tpe bracket players. This would immediately help solves the cash crunch faced early on for new players, as well as represent a reasonable path for low-time players to keep up with their peers.

The Players:

I think from here on it could be important to introduce a couple persona type players to refer to from here on out.

There are cash-rich players, usually recreates or maybe new players who put a lot of work in building up a bank, or hey gambling that’s cool!

There are time-rich players, those who may not have a bank account to rely on, but have a lot of time to make money week-to-week to support their tpe progression. Think maybe students, part-time workers, people between jobs maybe, retired? I don’t know, just people who have the time to avoid being short on cash.

Then there are the rest, players who either do not have the cash to keep up with their peers without consistent and immediate effort, or those who simply do not have the time to contribute meaningfully to the site at that specific time in order for their bank to last long enough to become an SHL level player. This could also include those who do not enjoy creating media and simply enjoy the LR or something like that.

Unfortunately, the third group here will have serious difficulty progressing any player during the send down period, and even if they do they will face a serious performance gap to their draft class peers who are in one of the first two groups. Not only that, but with regression hitting all players at the same time, they may even be rewarded with a SHORTER SHL career should they even stick around long enough to get a call up. It is a group with the site should cater more carefully in order to manage retention levels post SHL draft, but currently is not really considered heavily.

The Solution:

So, my first proposal to help, is to simply downshift all training COSTS for send downs, or in the case of my sample data, those in their first SHL draft +3 seasons. So, if you get drafted to an SHL club in the offseason prior to S55, you will pay half for max training (500k instead of 1M) for seasons 55, 56, and 57. This might seem like a meaningless change to those who are in the cash-rich group of players, maybe it helps them too even! It certainly helps time-rich players as they just get to cut most weekly media length in HALF, but it does much more than that. Before I go on I will post this google sheet

Here is a picture of the table for those who don’t fuck with google sheets. NOTE THAT THE TPE AMOUNT IS ONLY FOR DOING WEEKLY AC, WEEKLY TRAINING, AND SEASONAL COACHING. As other TPE sources can and have been changed or can vary from person to person I wanted to stick to the low effort, weekly, or cash specific sources. Picture is in case I fucked the sheet link up or someone can nuke it, idk how to do this shit anymore.

[Image: 118341ed9f.png]

What this shows is that a training cost relief of 500k for only three seasons reduces seasonal cash requirements for max training by 4 million dollars, from 8M (8 weeks * 1M) to 4M (8 weeks * 500k). This seems like maybe too much, 12 million over the full three seasons is a large chunk of change, but it does a lot to help balance out the costs of training while not greatly influencing the difficulty of affording the seasonal coaching max amount of 8.5M on its own.

Yes, this will help top earners who can already afford the max cash items by reducing their costs by 4 million a season, from 16.5 to 12.5 million. But this reduction does not greatly impact the effort or time needed to max earn for those without supplemental income, as both 12.5 and 16.5 are huge numbers for those only earning 2~5 million on a contract. The top end players will remain top end players, and it is uncertain the amount who would be added to this group by a training cost reduction but I would suggest it does not change greatly.

It may however create a second tier group who earns near max, and buys a middle tier seasonal coaching with the extra 4M, which frankly seems pretty neat. Not sure what a tier 2 SHL prospect would look like, or how it would fit into what we see right now, but there would probably end up being a larger group here, which is good for the league and might help rebuilding teams get some talent more easily through the draft. Hey building through the draft gets better, cool!

This second tier might be at or a bit above Medium earners, who would now able to afford max training for the season and a low tier coaching purchase for the same 8-9 million they may need to spend with the current costs in place, which overall improve their TPE from AC, Training, and Coaching from 59 to 75 per season.

The third tier is probably the biggest change that this adjustment will have. This is the tier which I see as one of  the biggest site issues. The low tpe earners who cannot make much more than their contract offers due to their time being low (parents maybe, who knows). It is a currently overlooked group of players, but all of a sudden they can now afford a full season max training for just 4 million, and the fairly common 3 million dollar send down contract does a pretty good job of doing what would require at least 6 million right now as well as opening this group up to purchasing low tier seasonal coaching for the same effort they would have had to put in currently. This group is actually encouraged to create media to improve their ability to afford seasonal coaching and have most or nearly all of their training paid for through their contract plus a media piece or two small ones. Regardless, if the effort applied for this group stays the same they will be much better off. Still trailing behind, but will be enjoying a much more positive week-to-week experience.

The final group is really the one which I think will help improve user retention. It is the minimum tpe earners. This tier represents what a user who ONLY uses their player contract for training, and as we just cut that cost in half we can see that the value of 3 million dollars for a send down goes up from only 36 TPE to 48 TPE per season. Now this seems small in the long run, it's only like 36 TPE over the three seasons, but the biggest difference is in the user experience. They can now afford to pursue max training for the entire regular season and may be encouraged to shit out a 500 worder to get a couple more in maybe. It is a fundamental emotional adjustment for users who do not have time to work a site job or do larger media pieces. It more importantly immediately removes the shitty feeling of not doing max training. I think having other training tiers is good for users in a last-minute cash pinch to at least do something, but if from season 2 on you cannot even do max training, it just FEELS BAD. Even if it's 3 vs 5 for medium training, 3M doesn’t really even represent a full season of medium training at the moment. Keep in mind here, send downs do not really have agency in picking what team they get picked by. God bless you if you get drafted to a team who can pay a send down more than 4 million, but it’s not realistic. Most likely these low-time players will end up at 3 million or less, and will just quickly fall behind and slowly into inactivity or extremely early retirement due to just not being able to overcome the pay-to-win aspect of the site.

Now, I am sure many people will debate something like this, it is a little radical, but I want to just quickly show a couple graphs of the season-over-season impact of this, as well as relate this to another change which I was extremely impressed by since coming back that also helps this group of players greatly!

The Longterm:

Now I don’t know how to use the google sheets graphs at all, shit’s weird, so I did them up in excel for you. What these show is the season-on-season gap only including the weekly tpe sources of AC and Training, as well as including season coaching.

This is the graph which shows the current gap the pay-to-win creates, note it will be slightly overstated due to not including PTs, but these represent the concrete seasonal values only as all other sources of TPE seem to be variable or at the very least unlikely to be exactly consistent over a 10 season period.

[Image: 17e374aba7.png]

You will notice that in season 1 they max and min are fairly tight, low values, low gains, most people buy max training all season or close to it. TPE is cheap and bountiful, but from there season-on-season the gap widens, widens, widens, and all of a sudden at regression a max earner is 500 tpe ahead of someone who somehow did not retire after barely being able to afford training the whole time.

Now this is what the gap will look like with only three seasons of training cost relief, not even touching seasonal coaching costs.

[Image: 614302f910.png]

Hey look at that, all tiers below max earners are a bit closer and remain fairly consistent up until we then force the true SHL training costs onto them. Note, the numbers may be a little over stated deeper we go as contracts go up people might move into a tier higher etc, but for the early part of a players career as long as they show up each week for whatever training they can afford at the time they will be no more than 100 tpe behind by season 3, and no more than 120 by season 4. If they hit all the PTs, Deep Dives, etc. as well they may even be much closer than that, all without having to stress on doing media to get millions on millions to buy any tier of equipment at all. Literally having a 3 million dollar contract and some level of activity on the site allows a player to stay fairly close to their peers early on. It is actually cool, cause that 100 tpe gap the change creates literally is one season later than it currently occurs in the 1M max training scenario. And of course, as we then apply real training costs to the send down post season 4, the gap then widens back to fairly similar levels by regression time.

I think the fact that this will immediately improve the ability for newer players to afford TPE early on, as well as help build up recent draftees will help the league overall, and as the “pay-to-win” aspect remains the same as not extra TPE is being added to the system, we see a long-term view of not much changes, but for those important early seasons it's just that bit easier to keep up and just that bit easier to make it through a whole season without owing the bank.

A couple of honest caveats here, this may increase cap hits slightly for send downs, but only in those who would currently be discouraged from participating, so I think for the site it’s a net positive as it might keep just a couple more people around for a few extra seasons, which will really help locker rooms at both levels of play, as well as help entrench some of these players into the league who could then delay their recreate, retire, or go ham decision to season 4-5 instead of literally within 2 months of joining the site.

Think about it, 4 seasons of 500k max training, that’s almost a calendar year to get to know people, build up a network, enjoy the discord groups, have fun with the sims, and hey maybe even get a job. All without having to worry too much about forcing yourself to do a ton of media or face immediate negative emotion when going to train at a lower level than your peers.

I appreciate greatly that the site currently runs on the lifeblood of entrenched players, many of which are going through their first or second send down seasons this upcoming season, and that having cash in their bank is a privilege that they sacrificed time to get, and that they deserve to be ahead of their classes for that. I want to remind you that those people will still be well ahead, as the main cash based difference maker will remain season coaching, and it should always be an expensive commodity, but as training is something which is consistent and weekly, providing a negative emotion to those who have to settle for less each week is not a positive gameplay mechanic early on, and only providing a 2-month period of relative ease on the cash income front is not long enough to really entrench players in the site and the community. I would assume most cash-rich people would also feel that they might be willing to sacrifice a small piece of their advantage in their respective draft classes if it helped a potentially significant group of users have a better experience in their first 6-8 months.

Finally, I mentioned a recent change which really made me happy which I think suggests that this area of the gameplay experience was already an identifiable stress point, which was the 425 junior cap for later seasons. I think this change is a great one in the current system, maybe it will be less useful later on if player base contracts, but I think having a cash relief in combination with the tpe cap improvement could do really well in combination with one another as people who would previously struggle to hit cap or get even close, would be closer, more competitive and most importantly be having more fun.

There are many more ways the site could address the cash issue for new players or even poorer recreates, but I think just simply reducing training cost for send downs could very simply and easily improve the site experience without interacting in a large way with any other systems in place, as well as improve the experience for some SHL teams who rely on lower tpe players to fill their rosters if only just providing slightly better depth players for the to utilize through free agency or the draft.

Let me know what you think, I think this could be a good change that could be done at any point and have really positive impacts on the site, but maybe I am wrong. I haven’t been able to find any definitive reason why this would negatively impact the site in any way as people would still need to be active to do the other TPE gaining activities. Maybe we lose some media, but people would be closer to affording seasonal coaching so maybe we see more instead? I am not sure. Let me know! I don’t think I have seen any other real cash relief for send downs other than double media weeks, which are wonderful and should work in tandem with this kind of change to really help improve the experience of being a send down who is building up to play in the SHL.

TL;DR: Reduce training cost for send downs or at least 3 seasons post SHL draft to make it easier for players to afford the cash-based tpe, and not have immediate negative gameplay experiences when they can no longer afford max training after only a couple months on the site. This will help improve user retention, potentially create media as users may be closer to being able to afford seasonal coaching, and very slightly improve the quality of *some* send downs who are not able to currently afford full training or coaching. This change should not impact the high end of each draft class much, it will help them save a bit of money on the way to the SHL, but it does so with the opportunity of potentially increasing the user base overall, as well as the size of each respective draft class, something which often helps create an even more enjoyable experience for even the richest or involved players on the site.

+1
Ilike

Hey, even if they shoot it down …it made you $$
I thought it was a damn good idea.

[Image: Untitled-5.jpg][Image: 189-1895167_american-flag-superman-logo.png]

UPDATE PAGE

Quote:S56 WJC AWARDS
“Our third award is one that is dear to my heart as a SHL goaltender… The Peter Larson Award for the Top Goalie! This is voted by the GMs and considers both the round robin and medal rounds. The S56 Winner of the Peter Larson Award is….…
C.K. Supernaw! “

Battleborn Usa

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2020, 04:03 AM by Mutedfaith.)

We need to get rid of the absurd misconception that being a max earner should be easy, and achievable for even the most casual of players.

If you want to max earn, work for it.

And if you don't, that's fine too. Not everyone has to break 2k TPE.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

As a fresh parent with a job that doesn't allow me to sit at my computer all workday either, but with a clear interest in continuing my career to the best of my ability, this sounds like a very good idea. Very well and emphatically thought through. Thank you!

[Image: 63647_s.gif]
Forge  S69 Challenge Cup Champion - Philadelphia Forge   Forge
Renegades Renegades  S59 & S62 Challenge Cup Champion - Texas Renegades  Renegades  Renegades 
 Armada  S57 Four Star Cup Champion - Anchorage Armada  Armada 
Finland  Finland  S57 & S58 WJC / S62, S64 & S66 IIHF Gold Medalist - Team Finland   Finland  Finland
[Image: kLRJavo.png]       [Image: ZjgHcNL.png]
After 69 shots on net with still no SHL goals to show for it, even the opposition started to feel so sorry for Lemo, that they decided to help him out :D
- Bad pass by Jack Klompus, he gave it right to Lemo Pihl.
- Lemo Pihl rips it to the net...
- Lemo Pihl will find the empty net, that should do it!
TEX @ MAN, S59 game 31
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2020, 05:22 AM by Ronniewalker.)

09-18-2020, 04:02 AMMutedfaith Wrote: We need to get rid of the absurd misconception that being a max earner should be easy, and achievable for even the most casual of players.

If you want to max earn, work for it.

And if you don't, that's fine too. Not everyone has to break 2k TPE.
If you bothered to read the whole thing (or even half of it) you would have noticed that the proposed change would very likely not enable anyone to break 2k tpe without pretty much the same effort as that requires now, but would help shore up a better depth and middle-talent base. It is not about helping people max-earn, but more like enabling them a living wage level.

[Image: 63647_s.gif]
Forge  S69 Challenge Cup Champion - Philadelphia Forge   Forge
Renegades Renegades  S59 & S62 Challenge Cup Champion - Texas Renegades  Renegades  Renegades 
 Armada  S57 Four Star Cup Champion - Anchorage Armada  Armada 
Finland  Finland  S57 & S58 WJC / S62, S64 & S66 IIHF Gold Medalist - Team Finland   Finland  Finland
[Image: kLRJavo.png]       [Image: ZjgHcNL.png]
After 69 shots on net with still no SHL goals to show for it, even the opposition started to feel so sorry for Lemo, that they decided to help him out :D
- Bad pass by Jack Klompus, he gave it right to Lemo Pihl.
- Lemo Pihl rips it to the net...
- Lemo Pihl will find the empty net, that should do it!
TEX @ MAN, S59 game 31
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2020, 05:14 AM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

I'm torn.

The way you describe it, some of the more casual players could definitely need some help and this would be a decent way to achieve that without creating inflation and throwing free stuff around like candy. It's a well thought out proposition that would give something to the people who need it without taking anything away from the people who don't, and it might be more relevant than ever in the FHM-era since the start can be tougher for lower TPE-tiers.

On the other hand I have to agree with Muted, being a high or max earner shouldn't be easy and I'm not sure we want to make it easier when so many people top out around 1500-2000 TPE already. Different tiers of activity and committment need to lead to different quality players, instead of making sure that there are no sub-1500 players anymore, we should look for ways to make the league enjoyable for them as well.

Also, if what you are saying is true about players hitting a wall after their first season, when training costs suddenly go up, wouldn't your proposal just move back that wall a few seasons while making it even higher? You rightfully point out that it gives players more time to build bonds and relationships that help keep them around in tougher times, but it also gives them plenty of time to get used to the more forgiving system and get hooked on the discounted training. Which will make the effects, the eventual withdrawal if you will, much worse when they are finally introduced to the real prices and will make it much harder for them to adjust because they have gotten so used to a different system. It is probably easier for a fresh player who is still in his first season or second season and excited about everything to get used to doing media or graphics when he needs some cash, than for a player who was coddled for four season and could get by without it so far.

So I am fairly critical of the idea right now but it certainly isn't without merit and the problem you describe is certainly legitimate. Maybe it would be worth to adress it from an income perspective instead of the expenses perspective? More contract money in the lower tiers, a slight rise to media pay either in general or for newer players. I could think of a couple of systems there, for example giving each new member three double media articles to be used on any piece he wants during his first 4 seasons or so. Maybe limit the eligible word-count to 5000 words or so so that it doesn't become expensive, but it would allow players to build a bit of a cushion early on while still requiring them to show their committment by doing some work. Or, as I said, just raise media pay in general, or be more generous with bonuses etc...

And regarding contracts, one idea that I have thought about a bit already that could apply to younger players, but might also work as a general concept for the entire league, is to detach cap-hits from actual salary to an extent. This would work through a simple multiplier, like x2 for example. That would mean that a player who counts with 2M against the cap actually gets 4M, a player with a 1.5M cap hit gets 3M etc. In the lower tiers it would give people some extra money but in the higher tiers it would probably be overkill, so we would probably need to have that multiplier only apply to lower tiers and either let the factor drop the higher we get in tiers or get rid of it altogether. It could look something like this

Tier 1M x 2 = 2M
Tier 2M x 2 = 4M
Tier 3M x 1.667 = 5M
Tier 4M x 1.5 = 6M
Tier 5M x 1.3 = 6.5M
Tier 6M x 1.25 = 7.5M

This would give people an extra boost early on when they need it without creating a wall that they hit at some point even as the multiplier drops. However keeping the multiplier consistent at x2 could also be something that spices up FA in higher tiers, after all, we want people to sometimes go out and chase bigger deals instead of always just taking team-friendly minimum contracts. If the difference between a 6M and a 9M contract would actually be 6M instead of 3M, that would probably help accomplish that. It would probably lead to a bit too much inflation though and throw too much money at the people who already have enough.

There also is a different version of this that is simpler but also more radical: Don't have a multiplier or anything, just raise the contract tiers to higher numbers in general and raise the cap accordingly. This would require quite a few calculations to find a new salary cap number that works and probably wouldn't be feasible in a system we just changed, but it would be the cleanest solution. I think having contract tiers be a bit more apart instead of being all in 1M steps could be pretty cool and add a bit more character to things if say tiers looked like:

2M
3M
4M
6M
9M
12M

The cap would have to be a good 20M higher or so than it is today. Superstar players would take up a bigger chunk of your cap than they do today, just as in real life, but overall all teams, even the good ones, would have a bit more money available and more flexibility to play around with and try different roster building approaches. Some might make a superstar heavy roster with some cheap filler players to complement them (kinda like Pittsburgh did with Crosby, Malkin and their linemates), while others go for a more balanced approach with strong players in every position at the cost of not being able to afford more than one or two 2000 TPE players.

09-18-2020, 05:12 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: I'm torn.

The way you describe it, some of the more casual players could definitely need some help and this would be a decent way to achieve that without creating inflation and throwing free stuff around like candy. It's a well thought out proposition that would give something to the people who need it without taking anything away from the people who don't, and it might be more relevant than ever in the FHM-era since the start can be tougher for lower TPE-tiers.

On the other hand I have to agree with Muted, being a high or max earner shouldn't be easy and I'm not sure we want to make it easier when so many people top out around 1500-2000 TPE already. Different tiers of activity and committment need to lead to different quality players, instead of making sure that there are no sub-1500 players anymore, we should look for ways to make the league enjoyable for them as well.

Also, if what you are saying is true about players hitting a wall after their first season, when training costs suddenly go up, wouldn't your proposal just move back that wall a few seasons while making it even higher? You rightfully point out that it gives players more time to build bonds and relationships that help keep them around in tougher times, but it also gives them plenty of time to get used to the more forgiving system and get hooked on the discounted training. Which will make the effects, the eventual withdrawal if you will, much worse when they are finally introduced to the real prices and will make it much harder for them to adjust because they have gotten so used to a different system. It is probably easier for a fresh player who is still in his first season or second season and excited about everything to get used to doing media or graphics when he needs some cash, than for a player who was coddled for four season and could get by without it so far.

So I am fairly critical of the idea right now but it certainly isn't without merit and the problem you describe is certainly legitimate. Maybe it would be worth to adress it from an income perspective instead of the expenses perspective? More contract money in the lower tiers, a slight rise to media pay either in general or for newer players. I could think of a couple of systems there, for example giving each new member three double media articles to be used on any piece he wants during his first 4 seasons or so. Maybe limit the eligible word-count to 5000 words or so so that it doesn't become expensive, but it would allow players to build a bit of a cushion early on while still requiring them to show their committment by doing some work. Or, as I said, just raise media pay in general, or be more generous with bonuses etc...

And regarding contracts, one idea that I have thought about a bit already that could apply to younger players, but might also work as a general concept for the entire league, is to detach cap-hits from actual salary to an extent. This would work through a simple multiplier, like x2 for example. That would mean that a player who counts with 2M against the cap actually gets 4M, a player with a 1.5M cap hit gets 3M etc. In the lower tiers it would give people some extra money but in the higher tiers it would probably be overkill, so we would probably need to have that multiplier only apply to lower tiers and either let the factor drop the higher we get in tiers or get rid of it altogether. It could look something like this

Tier 1M x 2 = 2M
Tier 2M x 2 = 4M
Tier 3M x 1.667 = 5M
Tier 4M x 1.5 = 6M
Tier 5M x 1.3 = 6.5M
Tier 6M x 1.25 = 7.5M

This would give people an extra boost early on when they need it without creating a wall that they hit at some point even as the multiplier drops. However keeping the multiplier consistent at x2 could also be something that spices up FA in higher tiers, after all, we want people to sometimes go out and chase bigger deals instead of always just taking team-friendly minimum contracts. If the difference between a 6M and a 9M contract would actually be 6M instead of 3M, that would probably help accomplish that. It would probably lead to a bit too much inflation though and throw too much money at the people who already have enough.

There also is a different version of this that is simpler but also more radical: Don't have a multiplier or anything, just raise the contract tiers to higher numbers in general and raise the cap accordingly. This would require quite a few calculations to find a new salary cap number that works and probably wouldn't be feasible in a system we just changed, but it would be the cleanest solution. I think having contract tiers be a bit more apart instead of being all in 1M steps could be pretty cool and add a bit more character to things if say tiers looked like:

2M
3M
4M
6M
9M
12M

The cap would have to be a good 20M higher or so than it is today. Superstar players would take up a bigger chunk of your cap than they do today, just as in real life, but overall all teams, even the good ones, would have a bit more money available and more flexibility to play around with and try different roster building approaches. Some might make a superstar heavy roster with some cheap filler players to complement them (kinda like Pittsburgh did with Crosby, Malkin and their linemates), while others go for a more balanced approach with strong players in every position at the cost of not being able to afford more than one or two 2000 TPE players.

I thought of something similar as well but I thought it would make things confusing and more difficult to really figure out. I think ideally everything should be less confusing so I didn't really like the approach of hiding true contract income. Its certainly one way to help. I also mention improving percentage tpe earned from AC and stripping some out of training just to balance it out a bit, since right now weekly training represents 40 tpe to the ACs 16. But i think a more isolated change that helps people in early seasons keep up would be most effective so I am not sure how to go about that best.