Create Account

S56 PT #2 - Fix It

The Minnesota Monarchs' glaring weakness is - everyone, act surprised - their defense. Yes, this shortage on mid-to-high TPE defensemen for some of the teams in the SHL hasn't been kind to us, and the defensive rundown of the team so far this season has shown it very well. We surrender a ton of shots, and can hardly generate any, because we're stuck in our D-zone for long stretches of time. Of course, there are some very talented defensemen in the Monarchs' line-up, but they're sometimes asked to play in a bigger role than what is usually expected out of them. However, we are looking at some very solid defensive prospects in our system, with rookie Jack Klompus as our flagship, and SMJHL mainstays Slimey Snail and Tinke Jutila in tow, and who knows what might happen in the upcoming draft? We feel like our defensive squad will be patched up in the near future, and as we already know our future up front is shining super bright, we can hope to be a complete, competitive team much sooner than expected in SHL media circles.

(190 words)

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!

The biggest problem I can see with any SHL team right now comes from the LA Panthers. They currently have exactly zero (0) players that have a quantity of hits greater than the Gotze line (aka the number of hits I currently have). This is an extremely important metric for every team, as evidenced by the success of the Atlanta Inferno thanks to having three (3) players above the Gotze line including the magnificent DeMaricus Smyth who has oodles of hits and I am very jealous of him. Anyways, I would recommend for the Panthers to either immediately trade for a player above the Gotze line as sort of a patchwork solution, or for a more complete fix they could rearrange the lines a bit and start having hitting training and hope that a few players emerge as true hitters. They could also just get lucky within the next few sims as Tony Ford is only one (1) hit behind me currently, but that is much less fun.

[Image: gotze_team_siggy.png]
[Image: lKRNHAn.png]

I know there are issues with how Franchise Hockey Manager lets you do playoff formats, but I feel like there should be a better way to run the Simulation Major Junior hockey League playoffs. Every team getting in takes away from the excitement of close playoff races and makes the season only meaninful for stats, and while goal scoring races and other MVP discussions are fun, there is nothing better than mocking your divisional rivals for failing to get to the playoffs for x amount of years until the tides turn against you and you are the one being mocked so hard you can only sit in the shower and cry.

How do we fix this? Just adjust the number of teams. Even if this makes it hard to get into the post-season, I think this will make it all the more special when a team does win the cup. There is probably no easy solution, and great arguments for just allowing every team in, but I want the joy of getting in to be as strong as the bitterness that the Simulation screwed us out of sweet sweet victory.

anyway, I hope this qualifies, This was a tough one and looking at everyone's answer made me sad I didn't have anything as interesting, haha.

[Image: WzzhGnr.png][Image: image0.jpg]

[Image: image0.png][Image: UMRTITC.gif]

Toronto North Stars... where to begin. Honestly, I think ML is doing a great job and we are on pace to be competitive starting S60's. Our forward group just needs to keep developing and what we really need work on is our D. This offseason we had a surprise trade request from a Top 4... just days before preseason. It is hard for any team to quickly just replace a player like that. So that put us back a little bit but I think, if we can add a couple of Dman this next offseason, Toronto will be competitive faster than many people think. We just need our guys to keep earning TP and developing into good players. If I were the GM of Toronto, this next offseason my biggest goal would be to find some defenseman ASAP. Funny how Toronto even in fake sim leagues need defense help.... hahaha the irony.

[Image: gurbs.gif]

If we look at the Edmonton Blizzard, there is one glaring hole in their organizational depth. That weakness would be their defense core. They have elite top-talent in FR Finn Rhys and Karlstrasse Scholz but the depth falls of quickly after Jon Toner and Connor Tanner. The Blizzard currently have one of the worst 3rd pairings in the league and it would be in their best interest to address it as Toner continues to age.

The Blizzard have a top-tier prospect in Axel Foley who will be a contributor on the team in a season or two but they still need to find some replacement D players. The Blizzard made a big move in the previous off-season to move a bunch of picks. They might be shy to make a similar move so their best bet to fill the position might be through free agency. The Blizzard had a lot of spare money last off-season. They might be able to leverage it into a top defenseman or two next off-season.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

Personally I think the weakest spot for the Newfoundland Berserkers is the branding. I don't have an issue with the name, my main criticism comes from the logo. I feel like it is rather lame when compared to other team logos in the SMJHL. It looks more like a concept for a brand than a finished product. The only issue is that the logo has become somewhat of a meme inside the locker room, so a redesign may be a taboo topic among management. Newfoundland finally has a 4 Star Cup to their name, and is still a serious contender. I feel like we need a more serious logo to match our team's prestige. With the new expansion teams and branding of other franchises, It's time Newfoundland steps into the modern era. Other than that, the team has no major weaknesses. A simple redesign could make the team a more desirable location for prospects.

word:154

[Image: Chocula22.gif]
Berserkers Wolfpack France

Respectfully, I think there are quite a few teams in both the SHL and SMJHL that could use a bit of a tweak when it comes to their logos. In my opinion though no team is in more dire need of a new logo than the Chicago Syndicate. Now they have already addressed this issue a bit with a reworking of their main logo after season 52 but I think the logo of a dude in a hat kind of falls flat. I really dig the alternate logo and I think that the color scheme and design of the jerseys are great. I would prefer a more abstract logo I think. For me, logos with people in them rarely work unless they are really over the top and good like Johnny Canuck for example. I’d fix this by sending the human logo to sleep with the fishes and maybe use one of those old timey limos gangsters used in the 1920s. Or combine the alternate logo which is a symbol of Chicago with the Sicilian mafia symbol. That one might rub people the wrong way though.

(187)

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

PT Pass

[Image: AgentSmith630.gif]
Thanks to @sulovilen, @the5urreal, and @sve7en for the sigs!

So Winnipeg is doing ok right now but they need to get better still if they hope to compete against the top teams in the league. Looking at their roster, they have a good mix of solid veterans at the top of their game, as well as some great young players who are on the upswing. However, there are still a few inactive holes in the roster which could be upgraded by the trade deadline. On defense, they could certainly upgrade their 6th defenseman, as some of the lesser teams might start to sell off, I am certain the Jets GM has a 1st rd pick they could trade to get a better player at that position. Next, they have a couple inactives on the 3rd line - seems like the time is ripe to maybe trade a first round pick or even two of them to get a couple better players who could slot into those roles. So basically, Jets have 1st rd picks in S58, S59, and S60 that they could trade RIGHT NOW and get moderately better players than they currently have. ALL IN FOR THE CUP BABY!!

[Image: dZqcwmW.jpg?format=webp&width=710&height=473]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
Argonauts        S77 SHL DRAFT 4TH OVERALL PICK          Argonauts
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

If there was one team in the simulation hockey League that I would personally change it would have to be the San Francisco Pride. Outside of their on ice issues where they are being forced to pay a twelve million cap penalty all in the midst of a tear down rebuild I also think that they have one of the weakest brands amongst teams within the league. Atlanta has shown that with some professional work and a bit of dedication you can get a clean look with some great branding. While I have no problem with the location the team colours, name and logo all leave a lot to be desired. A quick Google reveals that rust red, dark blue, gold and black are all considered colours or San Francisco and that is where I would start. I am a big fan of teams having some connection to the area so it makes little sense to name it after a pride of lions.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

If you are looking to improve things with a team, I think it is always best to start with your own team.  In this case, the Hamilton Steelhawks.  Now I know what you are thinking, fix something on the Hamilton Steelhawks?  The same team that is leading the league in points and is dominating games day in and day out?  Yes, that is the team I am talking about and even the best teams can make some improvements.  One area that we have struggled a bit recently is in giving up a few too many goals.  The defense on the team has played exceptionally well up to this point as has Jobin in net but I think us d men can do a little more to block some more shots and force some more turnovers to help him out some more.  I know I will be investing in my players skills in those areas through the rest of the season to make sure we are doing our part to keep the puck out of the net.

Code:
176 Words

[Image: kpALfz6.jpg]
Gritty McGritterson Player Page
Gritty McGritterson Update Page

S53 Four Star Cup Champion- Detroit Falcons
S56 Challenge Cup Champion - Hamilton Steelhawks

Ethan Duncan is getting his first crack at fixing the Platoon. As they start the season finding themselves in a big hole early, Duncan makes the decision to trim the fat and dump some players for whatever he can find. For the most part this has been done and the core of the team is already there especially after the trades last couple of weeks turned the team from two defensive prospects in the system to seven, with the majority of those being high quality.

So Duncan would try and find a few more stopgaps to add to the roster that would allow the team to be a bit more competitive, but otherwise he feels that the team will grow into a contender in a few seasons once the huge S55 class gets a season in and the S56 class gets called up. He does see future issues with the budget once several older contracts expire, but many of them are older players whose contracts will not be renewed and likely will retire by the time the team reaches their cup window.

As far as location, Baltimore’s location is already great. In just their second draft, they acquired players who wanted to come here purely based on the location and that was never the case when the team was in West Kendall. The branding will just never change and the logo was created by Wasty, who after 40+ seasons in LA, is now a Platoon prospect so that’s not changing either.

So in short, he doesn’t feel there is much to do but wait, sign the players who are going to be part of the core, and let the team flourish when their many prospects come up to the SHL. The team is already in much better shape than a couple of seasons ago.

[Image: CAu3g3c.png]

[Image: zS2lCMp.png]  [Image: oMh09WY.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

The biggest thing I would do to fix the challenges the Seattle Argonauts are having is address the goalie situation. Many hoped Nolan McMahon would be able to handle the responsibilities of a full time SHL starting goalie--they were very wrong. Outside of an incredible S54 season, where a strong Los Angeles team was able to cover for his technical shortcomings, he's largely been a pedestrian backup throughout his career. McMahon has struggled to stop beach balls in practice (literally, the coaches attempted a drill where player's shot beach balls at him, and subsequently would go to smaller and smaller items in hopes of building his confidence). McMahon let up 4 goals in 2 minutes on beach balls.

Seattle has a few other holes--the cap situation limited what is possible in free agency to round out the young but depthless forward group, while also forcing them to dress some stunted SMJHL flameouts to complete the roster. Regardless, the goalie situation is the biggest weakness. With even a league average starter, this team likely picks up a few more wins and can rely on a tight defensive style, not unlike the Columbus Blue Jackets under John Tortorella. Right now the team just has to pray McMahon stops a few shots and standouts like Bo Kane, Cassius Darrow, and rookie upstart Kriss Darzins can produce some consistent offense.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

The Manhattan Rage need to get more of their shots into the net. They are getting a lot of shots, but clearly the quality of shot it dropping. So the team should look in the forseeable future to get their forwards to increase their gutting open and have them all put points into screening. Why screening? There is some evidence that screening increases shooting percentage by blocking vision of the opposing goalies. This stat would be better put into their centers rather than their wingers. With an inactive third line center and a regressing 2nd line center. The rage might want to look for future prospects or trades for actual centers with high screening. If the Rage can start capitalizing on their shots more they should be able to soar into a higher position than they are currently. Right now shot luck just is not going their way and their tips are getting read easily.

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

One weakness of the Texas Renegades is their inconsistency when it comes to goal scoring. The roster looks solid and there are a number of guys on the team that are more than capable of being consistent goal scorers. But for whatever reason, the team will have games where they generate 40 shots and only score 1 or 2 goals. Now, there are a number of factors that could be at play here. The first reason is the easiest to blame, and that's simply that Texas has been running into hot goalies. A hot goalie can steal a game for a team when they're really on, and can turn aside even the toughest of chances. I'd love to blame a hot goalie for all of the Texas scoring woes, but I think we have to look at a couple other factors still. While Texas has a solid foundation, it's hard to dismiss that the depth isn't quite there yet. Texas is a young team and will surely develop it's young talent into phenomenal players, but as it stands currently the depth is a little weak. Once that depth develops a bit more, I think we'll see the scoring issues disappear. Lastly, it's hard to judge from the sim, but I suppose it's possible that Texas is just taking low quality shots from non-danger areas on the ice. Maybe they're racking up shots from the blue line or from the boards, just throwing anything they can on net. I choose to believe it's just a matter of running into the hot goalies.

[Image: DrbPYHV.png] [Image: UDyqktK.png]