Create Account

S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub

PBE +3

[Image: traphag2.gif]
(sigs courtesy of Carpy48, BDonini, Turd Ferguson, FlappyGiraffe, and Sulovilen)
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2020, 09:12 AM by Slappydoodle.)

Today’s youth, all too often, understand only ephemera , style over substance. They embrace idolatry and gladly strap on their own blinders against deeper thought or context. This manifests in numerous ways within the SHL. Who is the best player in the league in any given year? Obviously, whatever forward scored the most points. Who is the rightful Stevens winner? Always the defenseman that scored the most points. Who should win any given award, regardless of context? Always look to the highest scoring in the bunch. It’s the kind of thinking that says James Harden is the rightful MVP, though he plays no defense, hogs the ball and never wins it all regardless of playing with a myriad of other superstars .

The Hall of Fame in the Simulation Hockey League is a hotbed of this type of limited thought. In the eyes of the committee, HOF’ers are players who won lots of awards and scored lots of points. And, of course, award winners are guys who scored a lot of points. Therefore, how does one get into the SHL HOF? Easy, score lots of points. That’s it. That’s as deep as it goes, generally. It also doesn’t hurt to be popular on the site and maybe friends with some committee members. It’s Argar’s League of Distinguished Players writ large. Score points, win awards, make Hall.

This leads me to the following, admittedly self-serving, case for Slappy McDoodle as a Hall of Famer. Slappy McDoodle was a puck controlling, pass first, defensive centerman. He was one of several rocks which an excellent and highly successful era of West Kendall Platoon success was built upon. McDoodle was the captain of those teams and the unquestioned emotional leader. Playing in 802 career games over sixteen seasons, McDoodle scored 152 goals and handed out 282 assists for a total of 434 regular season points, points, however, were never the key to Slappy’s game nor his true value. He took only 1712 shots over those sixteen seasons and 802 games.

McDoodle was a facilitator in many ways. He was the centerman that lived to spring his wings for the score. He delivered 2368 hits in the STHS era when such numbers were extremely rare. He maintained puck control and limited turnovers, only taking just over 1400 hits by comparison. He played over 1200 penalty kill minutes highly successfully. He took over fourteen thousand face offs, winning slightly over 52% of them. He played defense for a season and a half when the team needed someone to step up and make a position switch.

Slappy McDoodle never wanted to be the guy in the spotlight. He wanted to be the guy lifting his teammates, in any manner he could, into that shining warmth. The only award he ever coveted in anyway was the Jeff Dar, supposedly for the best two way player, but in truth all too often just a second place MVP award.

Slappy McDoodle never received serious consideration for any award throughout his career. He never had even a punchers chance at the HOF. The league was always busy lauding those players that eschewed all aspects of the game other than goal scoring. His career passed with little fanfare, outside of his own locker room, where he was more warmly and highly regarded. He never expected anything more, but it would have been nice to have been pleasantly surprised. Alas, it was not to be.

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

Alex Light.

It's Alex Light. 32nd in career points, (726), 22nd in goals (331), played for 18 seasons, three time Challenge Cup champion (S41, S43, S47) with West Kendall. This feels like a no brainer to me. The only players ahead of him in career points who aren't in the Hall of Fame already are either (A) currently ineligible due to playing recently (Joe Kurczewski, Mike Izzy, Sophia Bennett, Robert Phelps) or (b) are Light's longtime teammate, Trevor Wilson (753 points). Of the ineligible players, Kurczewski, Izzy, and Phelps are likely locks at some point for the Hall of Fame. The one knock someone might give is that he has no individual award hardware to his name (and was only a finalist for an award--the Razov--once), but with how fickle SHL Awards tend to be, I won't hold that against him. He was a productive player for 18 long seasons, and has earned his spot.

Just vote him in. Do it. If you don't, Zoone will never let us hear the end of it. Actually, we won't hear the end of how great Alex Light was from Zoone regardless, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Another difficult task at hand here to choose between players who all have their own reasons for making the Hall of Fame.  As I was researching I came across 3 names for which all had their own unique reasons or achèvements if you will to make a cas4e for them.  narowing it down to one, I decided to go with Alex Light and probably the popular choice too.  Flirting with almost a point per game with a 0.81 ppg to be exact.  Playing 18 seasons all with one franchisewhich brings him to 900 career games (tbh 1000 games played is a plus), 9 seasons of 20+ goals, and on top of all that offense he put up, he also played a hard nose hockey game.  Not a dirty player but a tough one, delivering over 1100 hits in his career.  He sits at 726 career points good for 33rd all time and several other players with inferior offensive stats have already taken their spot in the HOF and now it is Light's turn to do so as well.

Code:
734 characters / 181 words

[Image: Snoopdogg.gif]
    [Image: d9J5DHT.png]        norway      [Image: d9J5DHT.png]

[Image: ARI0QgC.png]

PBE Affiliate

10-21-2020, 09:09 AMSlappydoodle Wrote: It’s the kind of thinking that says James Harden is the rightful MVP, though he plays no defense, hogs the ball and never wins it all regardless of playing with a myriad of other superstars .

This is just false info. Harden and the Rockets were the only team in the West to even come close to beating the Warriors superteams those couple of years. Remove those Warrior teams and Harden probably has a ring or two.

[Image: 3.png]

I'll make a case here for a player named John Anderson, a right winger from S14 who played for the Detroit Falcons and West Kendall Platoon. If you sort the entire league's history by points, the average # of points for a player in a career is 142 (according to Luke's sheet, at least). John Anderson finished his career with exactly 142 points, the mark of an exceedingly average player. In addition, his name is John Anderson, which is a wildly plain and average name in a league where you can choose your name to be basically anything that you want. These signs of extreme unmarkedness are, when taken together, indeed remarkable. Anderson had around the average number of goals as well, which means he also had around the average number of assists. what an incredibly average player! Anderson's career highlight was (idk, maybe) scoring his one shorthanded goal. Unfortunately, Anderson has missed his window to be inducted into the HOF, but I believe there's a good case to be made for the epitome of averageness to have a spot in (in)famy.

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

ISFL PT

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/ByNN8Jn.gif[/img]

Hello, SImulation Hockey League, I am new to the league so this might be a rough Point Task for me, so I understand if you have to disqualify my entry, but I'm going to give it my best shot! (Enter Hamilton reference here).

It looks like Trever Wilson is up for nomination (shout out to Luke for this nifty Google sheet), and he has some pretty impressive stats having as many points as Darian Scherbluk in a hundred less games (753). He also has more points than many other players that are already in the Hall of Fame. He should be an easy entry into the Hall.

Then there is Chester Cunningham who was snubbed for reasons unknown. twenty season career, and has more points than Mikko Linna and Chris Partlow who are in the Hall of Fame so it is a bit puzzling why he was left out. Could there be other factors that denied him a place amongst the Hockley Sim Gods? Who knows, but that seems like a snub to me.

[Image: WzzhGnr.png][Image: image0.jpg]

[Image: image0.png][Image: UMRTITC.gif]

PT pass

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath

Beajeaux Biscuit played in 679 Regular season games, with another 120 in the playoffs. His regular season record was 368-252-56 with 23 Shut Outs and a .906% SV. In the playoffs he had a70-41-9 record with 11 shut outs. Playing his entire career with the Platoon, he won the Challenge Cup in Seasons 41, 43, and 47. He also notched two Anton Razov Trophies as Playoffs MVP in 43 and 47. He has the 3rd most goalie of all time, 4th all time in games played. In the playoffs he has the 3rd most wins.

It's crazy that Biscuit wasn't a first ballot player here. Now, I think the issue was that this past year the committee had a lot of other really fantastic choices to look at, and he just didn't quite make the first year. However, if he doesn't get in, there's something wrong with the choices they're making. 3 cups, 2 playoff mvps, 3rd most wins. There aren't too many other goalies that have accomplished what he did in his years playing. WKP was a better team for it and wouldn't have gotten to where they were without him.

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

PBE Affiliate (username Laser)

Looking through the list, the biggest standout to me for players who aren't in the hall is Zander Rhys. I recall Rhys being a top defenseman in the league back in my early days here and it really puzzled me seeing him not in the hall. I looked up his stats and awards on the league of accomplished players and found that he had over 600 points in his career, 2 1st team all stars, 2 second teams, a 3rd team, all rookie team, a Jesster win, 3 Stevens noms, and a Challenge Cup. To me despite not winning any major hardware, that's a really impressive resume and certainly hall of fame worthy. Interestingly enough, I looked through the nomination lists and it doesn't look like Rhys was ever actually up for nomination. I'm not too sure what happened there, maybe he was just missed at one point? Hopefully he can be put up for nomination because I think he had a hell of a career.

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

I was pretty surprised at the comparatively mediocre statlines of some Hall of Fame members, though I am sure some of that is product of the different sim, the relative TPE levels of players around the league at the time, and other such considerations that I am not so privy too. Still, I think it makes it easier to make a case for a variety of players, and I will specifically be talking about one Corey Bearss today. Corey isn't a league leader in any particular stat area other than +/- where he's top 5 overall all-time. However, he's in the same range as pretty much every hall of famer outside of the cream of the crop in areas like goals and assists, and has more hits than many of his similar competitors for spots in the Hall like the other Cory (Cory Knouse) and Conklin Owen, who have similar goal scoring numbers but fewer hits. To me, his all-around game gives him a solid chance to earn this accomplishment.

[Image: gotze_team_siggy.png]
[Image: lKRNHAn.png]