Create Account

S59 PT #4 All-Star Snub
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2021, 10:37 AM by CrazyMojito.)

I feel that that the all-star committee did a fantastic job this season in picking the all-stars and there is great representation from all teams in the league. When I look at the rosters selected I can see the argument for almost every single skater which makes it hard to find a spot where I can argue that another player deserved more. I do feel that the goalie selections maybe could have been better? (but not really)

In the East there are truly some standout players that make it impossible to leave off the all-star team which makes it hard to fit in a player from every team. I Just can't see where a player was an obvious snub in this conference.

In the West though, I think an argument can be made for either Booth of LAP or Antonescu of SFP to make the team as the second goalie. Nothing against Kavanagh in Texas who is having an all-star worthy and fantastic season but for maybe similar reasons Jobin didn't make it in the East, they are playing on the best team in the West behind a very good Texas defense. Just look at the season White Goodman (who themselves is a standout goalie) is having as Kavanagh's back up.

I'll pick Booth as the snub here. 41 games played, tied for 2nd in SV% amongst starting goalies, 5 shutouts which is also 2nd best in the league. Not the best GAA but that's more indicative of the team they play for.

Congrats to all players selected though, you all deserved to be there no matter what anyone else says.

[Image: CrazyMojitoSHL.gif]
Canada Blizzard Stars Citadelles Citadelles Stars Blizzard Canada 
[Image: d9J5DHT.png][Image: 16PgOBm.png]

I want to say that I really actually like the way the rosters were done this year. I know it sucks for top players on top teams to not get included, but I think it's important to make sure everybody gets to participate and if that means we get equal representation across the league instead of like six players from three teams, so be it. But now, for the actual snub. Not to be a total homer or to write about the same player other people are writing about, but Ryan Shepard should be at that there all star game. And I'm not just saying that because he's my linemate, really, he's just been an absolute stud out there this year. His numbers are amazing even just on paper, but one thing the numbers don't show is how absolutely clutch he's been in tricky situations. He's broken the tie for us in a few really close games this season, and seems to have an ability to get the whole team energized when he does so. Just really an MVP caliber player on the whole, honestly, so if I could sneak one more player into the ASG, it'd be him.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

All-Star Snub? That's easy. Damien Vertigo, the "backup" goalie for the Baltimore Platoon. "Wait, is that not the goalie with the 4th worst GAA in the league?" Well of course he is, since the sadistic managers only ever play him against the teams from the Great Lakes; every game is literally an all-star game for the poor netminder.  846 shots against! Cillian Kavanagh from the Renegades has played 11 more games than Vertigo and has roughly the same amount of shots against him!

Vertigo now has a permanent IV attached to him so the trainers can hydrate him between periods. Not just because of sweat loss, mind you, but because of all the tears -  we often find him weeping in various parts of the arena trying to avoid going out again. "Can I just play the Specters once?" is usually responded to with giggles from team management. 

Team management did push for him to be on the all-star team. However, a leaked memo revealed it wasn't really so much as an honor as they really just wanted to tell him, "Hey, no Great Lakes players against you tonight!" and instead have him go against the best players in the West.

[Image: A9nSgBs.gif]

ISFL Affiliate PT

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

My first problem is, that I don't know who made the all-star team. Welp, I guess I have to look it up now. 

Wow, Guy Zheng, Eko van Otter and Dick Clapper made the team, Atlanta big good it seems. But the backbone of the team didn't make it for some reasons. Simon LeBlanc was snubbed on defense, he deserved an All Star nomination. 

LeBlanc is top 5 in the league in various different categories, which all count towards defensive skills. He is top 5 in blocked shots, and also is up there in takeaways. He is a force in the game and does all he can to keep the puck away from the Atlanta goal. He hits hard and often, and he also avoids penalties quite good. He's not the best scorer, but not bad either. He's up there with a lot of other D-men with 7 goals scored and 17 assists. His game rating is one of the best among defensive skaters.

I think he made a pretty strong case to be on the all star team, I'm sad he didn't make it.

[Image: CcmpTg8.png][Image: sakro_-_withecheck_-_Inferno.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2021, 11:33 AM by PremierBromanov.)

Its a shame we didnt include the top 24 points getter forwards in the All Star game. I know, I know, but hear me out. The ASG is supposed to be THE BEST OF THE BEST, so it makes no sense why we'd limit the selection to being the 12 best from the east and the 12 best from the west. Why even make this arbitrary division of talent? If the best talent is from the great lakes than so be it. The All Star Game isnt about fun and representation. its not about getting the whole league engaged in activities. The SHL is about one thing and one thing only: Who did it best? All that matters in this league is trophies, accolades, and championships. When I see the All Star game, i dont see an opportunity to get users excited about their player, to foster social interaction between users, or to drive engagement on twitter, the site, and discord. I see one thing and one thing only: HoF points. If we allow the non-best, and by best I do mean the guys scoring points because thats all that matters, then we are unfairly ruining the chances of the best players at being recognized for their superiority. Everything takes a back seat to who the top point getters are.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Ohhhh boy, just as people have started to calm down, negotiate peace and apologize to each other you hit us with this one? Bold strategy, Cotton... Well I for one don't like people yelling "snubbed" when it comes to these kinds of decisions even when I disagree with the selections as well. Usually people who do so haven't done the work and actually went in-depth on the stats and they just blindly support their teammates or friends instead, which really isn't a good basis for discussion. And even if there is a solid case that player XY should have made it, there still is a second question that a lot of people seem to miss: Over who? In order for a player to truly be "snubbed" he doesn't just need to have stats that are up there with the other nominees, no he clearly needs to beat out one of the people who made it and in my experience that's not the case in most cases where someone claims that someone was snubbed. So I will refrain from making such a call myself here and be rude towards the people who made it by doing so, and just congratulate everyone who made it into the All-Star Game!

I would actually make the case for Colin Gibbles to be representing the West as well on defence. Out of all players in the league, Gibbles has been a standout possession player and shutdown D. Gibbles is in a 3-way tie for most Takeways with 40, sharing the lead with All-star Lyle Odelein III and Gabriel Johnson. However, unlike the other two, Gibbles has by far a better giveaway/takeaway ratio with 2.0, having only 20 giveaways to the 40 takeaways. By comparison, Odelein III has 51 giveaways, and Johnson has 34. Gibbles also has 159 blocks, good for 5th in the league, and a DGR of 77, also in the top 10 for the league. As a shutdown D, his 16 points is respectable, and Minnesota has outperformed expectations this season due to the key play of some of their stars, with Gibbles being the driving force on the blue-line now that Seger is gone from the team. Bearing the load of over 22 and a half minutes of ice time a night, Gibbles has grinded and exceeded expectations on the season, and I think deserved a spot at representing the Western conference this All-Star game.

[Image: antonescu.png]
[Image: BKGrppM.png]
Thank you to Ham and Sulo for the sigs!
Scarecrows Chiefs Renegades Dragons Stampede Panthers norway
Scarecrows Specters Switzerland
Scarecrows pride Switzerland
  Armada pride Ireland

I think the biggest all star snub was one of the top fantasy point getters in Valentín Kalashnikov. First his name is an all star alone, imagine getting that on a triple word score in scrabble? You'd never have to spell anything else.

Now lets look at his stats. First off 32 points is nothing to sneeze at. Pretty solid for a defenseman if you ask me. Secondly sitting at a +/- of 0 on Baltimore is quite impressive. When compared to the second line pairing which are at a -28. When you look at his defensive stats, you definitely say Mamma Mia. His Shot blocks are at a staggering 144 which is almost 50 higher than the next player on Baltimore. He also has 119 hits which is second on the team to only the great Karl Krashwagen. He's also been good on special teams accounting for 6 powerplay points and has a short handed goal to boot. Although he was snubbed this season, I doubt he will snubbed for much longer in all star team selections.

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

PBE Affiliation

[Image: TNUT2f6.png]
[Image: rL8frIL.png]
[Image: jOCBbVg.gif]
[Image: 6Hefllo.gif]

The biggest snub of the Season 59 Simulation Hockey League All Star Game has got to be Buffalo Stampede forward, Chimkin Wing. This is a player who spent their entire juniors career with the Anchorage Armada, racking up some of the best seasons a goalie could ever have, only to switch positions right before making his Simulation Hockey League pro debut. He was even so dedicated to the position change, that he changed his name from Tendy to Wing! If that isn't an all star level, pro, dedication effort then I don't know what it could possibly be. Some other might say that the way the All Star game works snubs some of the best in the league, but do we really want an All Star Game that has one division dominating the All Star Roster? That wouldn't be fun to watch, nor to participate in. I think in the future there should be a fan vote to get a fan favorite from each conference in.

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

Ryan Shepard is having a great season so far with 23 goals and 35 assists for a total of 58 points it is suprising to see him left of the list of all stars. With a 82 offensive game rating and a 73 overall game rating Shepard has been a powerhouse for the Chicago Syndicate this season and has helped them be second in the league. It is kinda hard right now to sit down and compare it to the rest of the league wihout the index having the leaderboards and all, so I am just going to assume Shepard is the best unpicked All Star player and call it like it is. It is supring the Syndicate only have 2 representatives seeing them 2nd in the league, another player I feel is missing would be goalie Mat Smith who with 29 wins, 2.37 GAA seems to not have been given the love either.

[154 words]

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

In all honesty I hadn't paid attention to anything All-Star related this season, with exception that it looked like the committee made a great effort to try and include a couple players from each team (as it should be).  I was very happy to see individuals like Cal Labovitch ( @Mutedfaith ) make the list as it had been a long time coming.  If I had to pick someone for a snub though, it would probably be Texas defenseman Adam Scianna.  Great tenacity on the ice, and his defensive pairing is performing wonderfully, this defenseman should have made it simply on the fact that he's second in the league for giveaways.  Sure, that could have been a bad thing, but when you're good enough to have that many giveaways and still contribute to such a dominating season...that just means you excel in every other area.  If I had to pick a snub, that's who my vote would go for hands down.

[Image: QsZ1vOb.jpeg]
[Image: lqfXIpe.jpeg]

I mean... it's gotta be Teddy Murphy right? He is the only player on the Platoon with a positive +/- rating with the 2nd most ice time among Baltimore dmen.  Murphy was probably left off the roster with his recent drought in scoring which... fine, but he stands out as a great player succeeding despite his situation and if that isn't an all-star then I don't know what is.  It goes beyond that though.  Baltimore as a team is sitting at 2.6 and 3.8 GF and GA respectively.  Not with Murphy on the ice! Both numbers are drastically improved to 3.1 apiece when Murphy leaves the bench.  And that isn't boosted by a ton of power play minutes, Murphy is only on the 2nd unit for the Platoon.  So yeah, go ahead and judge a dman for not scoring points when all he does is drastically improve the team on the ice as a true all star should do.

I am gonna take an unconventional approach to this and talk about the snubs that happen every season in the coaching staffs. To my knowledge, each and every season the teams are coached by the artificial intelligence in the game and strats are not set by any of the actual coaches or GMs in the league. Each of the GMs and coaches put in a ton of work to make sure that their teams are built the best that they are able to be and that usually goes somewhat unnoticed. Sure, the players appreciate their GMs, but as I have GM experience I know that a lot of GMs are just so underappreciated. So, I think that every single season, the GMs are snubbed from the all star game. Let the GMs coach teams, one for each period, and make it be the GMs who missed the playoffs the last season. It makes it more engaging and random for everyone and gets those GMs who get little recognition a little more than what they usually do.

[Image: laser.png]

[Image: Virrok.png]
Thanks to EAB and sulovien for the sigs!