Create Account

S59 PT #4 All-Star Snub

Well in the over 6 years that I've been on the site there's one thing that's always certain. The All Star selections, Awards and Hall of Fame selections are always controversial. The SHL is a very political place and the people on the committees over the years have always favored their friends and teammates. It's just a simple fact, there is always a bias involved. People can claim they aren't all they want but it's just simply not the case. So every year deserving people are left off the lists and this season there is no exception. Calgary's Esa Parmborg was left off the All Star team despite having the 3rd best player rating according to FHM. With 2 other Calgary players already being named to the team Esa got the short stick, especially now that all teams are to be represented. Until the SHL comes up with some numerical formulas for eligibility to these 3 things there will always be cases like this.

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]

So, I’m not a huge fan of the new index, personally I would prefer to switch back to the old one because it felt more intuitive and user friendly, but c’est la vie. For that reason, however, I can’t do my usual dive into the index and consequently can’t figure out who I think should’ve made the All-Star team. However, I know one person who thinks that they should’ve made the All-Star team, and they seem to think it very hard. So obviously they were snubbed since there is no way that bias could creep in here. Monkey D Luffy was from what I can tell 17th in points scored (although I heard top ten at one point) which is…fine. He’s on Buffalo and they did well but apparently better when he was off the ice than on it. He also had 31 giveaways and 20 takeaways… Oh, right, I’m supposed to be saying why he was snubbed. He’s a versatile player, equal number of goals and assists, and…honestly my heart just isn’t in this. I don’t know who was actually snubbed for the All-Star game, or even if someone was. Maybe Luffy was more impressive than some of the people who did make it but like, his season was just…fine from what I can tell. Not bad by any means but nothing remarkable. I’m going to go with Luffy must’ve outperformed someone who made the All-Star game but I’ll be damned if I can tell who it was. So, I guess my answer is still Luffy because I have nothing better but I can’t really give you a reason why.

[Image: tomhanks.gif]

[Image: TH-Sig_.gif?width=479&height=337]

There are several changes that I would make to the All-Star Game rosters, especially with the East. There should definitely be more than two Chicago players, if I had to come up with a number for how many there would be it would probably be something like 17. Martijn Westbroek and Disisde Dayudie are definitely two great players that deserve to be on the All-Star Team, but the others I would add would be Daniel Smeb, Parker Smeb, Jules Watt, Akashi SixNine, Gunnar Soderberg, Corey Kennedy, Lallo Selman, Nick Connolly, Shiqa Vitalievich, Akira Ren, Ryan Shepard, Ryuuji Minamino, Jean-Uhtred Ragnarsson-Tremblay, Lassi Suhonen, and of course Mat Smith. Another notable issue I see is that there aren't enough players from my fantasy team on there. If I had my way, these players would be doing well enough to make the All-Star Team and my fantasy team would be the best in the entire site.

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

Now, this has got to be the most self-serving PT response in the history of PT responses, but I would wager that my player, Frans Eller, has a strong case for All Stardom. Eller is the starting goalie for the Wolfpack and sits 6th in the league in Saves, and 5th in the league for starters in save percentage. He trails only Jon St. Ark (who has 8 games played) in Game Rating, tied with Knox Booth and Name Redacted at 81. I have been told those that calculate goaltending fancy stats, that Eller sits firmly in the upper echelon in the league in those categories as well. Where Frans falls short is the team-based stats. Wins and shutouts. Eller has a woeful 16-20-2 record, collecting only one shutout so far this season. I think that the league should focus less on the wins and shutouts and such, and more on the goals saved above expectation and other fancy stats that I don’t actually know about. Ok, I’ll take my 3 TPE thanks.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

The biggest All-Star snub in Jon Forty-One of the Edmonton Blizzard. His 38 assists are 6th most in the league, and his 51 points are top 20. 12 of his 38 assists have been on the power play, proving he excels when the team has a player advantage. He leads his team in total assists, plus/minus, even strength assists, and power play assists. While he is not known to sacrifice his body for hits or blocked shots, he is always there to make a timely play on the defensive end. His takeaway to giveaway ratio is pretty solid, and he is arguably the most important player on Edmonton other than goalie Scoochie Stratton. Edmonton currently sits 7th in the league in total points, and they wouldn't be close to that spot without Forty-One. Jon is a grinder who keeps his head down and just gets it done. He deserved some recognition for his hard work, but once again the committee got it wrong. This will only make him stronger.

[Image: U9GyyHt.jpg]

Not a single player was snubbed for the All-Star Game, because there is no such thing as snubbing players for the All-Star Game. Do people think the All-Star committee has a chat where they discuss players that could be in the game but they won't put in just to have a laugh about it? Get your heads out of your asses! The All-Star committee exists precisely to ensure a variety of opinions in the selection, to reflect the overall opinion of the league as best as possible. Obviously, that leaves some people out, players who had a good case to make it, but there's only so many spots. If the committee is divided on their first choice for the 12th forward spot but the second choices are all the same, the latter is going to get in. That doesn't mean that the other players in the discussion were not as good. As a wise man once said : t'is only game, why you heff to be mad?

[Image: lespoils.gif]

There are plenty of great players that deserved to go to the all-star game this season, but one guy I think doesn't get the recognition he's due is Henrik Lekberg Osterman. That guy has continuously puts the San Francisco Pride on his back the past few seasons. While there are other guys on the Pride that have matched his offensive totals this season, his two-way ability on top of his offense is what really makes him stand out. He's a defensive monster but I think he doesn't get his due because he plays for a relatively bad team.

Let's be honest though, the real losers of this whole event are all the players that got chosen to go to the All-Star game. Everyone knows that none of the top players ACTUALLY want to go to all-star. Why spend your vacation doing media work and shit for the league when you can just fly down to the Bahamas and get fucked up on the beach?

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2021, 11:56 AM by Kierkan.)

[Image: unknown.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2021, 01:40 PM by Jala.)

The big thing with the All-Star game is that there's always going to be people who feel snubbed, and that'll just get worse with the move to be more inclusive and have a wider range of teams. A great move as it does allow those weaker teams to still have something to cheer for even if their seasons aren't going so great. The other side of the coin is spots are taken from players who are producing or playing better and that just leaves more people feeling snubbed.

I think the root of it all is we all look at that roster hoping we made the team, even if we know we're nowhere near the level needed to make the cut. My season is pretty mediocre, and unfortunately there's no 'Eh-Star Team'. That didn't stop me from looking at the roster and for half a second scrolling through to see if I made it. It was so awesome to make the All-Rookie squad last year and it'll be a few seasons before I'm back on the roster again, but every time you don't make it on you feel snubbed. Unfortunately there's only so many spots available and good for everyone who makes the cut every season.

Word Count: 206

[Image: NyUD4Ch.jpg]
[Image: 95lCCDx.png]

[Image: iXI1ET6.png]

The all star game has passed us already? Well... I'm not sure who was actually on the team, so this is going to be an assumption here, but I really think my player, Fred Wanesly, should have made the team. I will now list the reasons why I believe this to be true.
1) He's very handsome. 193cm tall, 100kg, red hair. What's not to love.
2) He's British. Am I saying he should have made the all star team just because he is a foreigner? Yes, yes I am.
3) He was an all star during his time in the SMJHL. This really is justification enough to have him be on an all star team in the SHL
4) It's not fair to not include him. It just really isn't.
5) He's pregnant. Would you really deny a pregnant man his time to shine? How heartless of you.
And there you go.

[Image: Fred.png]
[Image: PeZ8eh1.png] [Image: r2pSvNf.png]

ISFL PT Link (Ultimus Week)

If the committee selected all players with the best stats, we would have only a few teams represented just like last season so understandably they tried to include at least 1 player from every team. For example, I'm not sure if Lyle Odelein III is an all-star if you just look at raw stats, there are certainly defensemen with more points, but Odelein is having a very impressive season given the quality of the team around him and has definitely earned an all-star selection. So, more teams represented, which is great, but that also means some good players from top teams were snubbed. Actually now looking at the rosters, I'm kinda surprised that Toronto had 0 forwards and 2 defensemen. Mika Kandinsky was tied for 12th in points at the time rosters were announced, so I would've expected him to make the roster. Maybe Kandinsky + 1 of the Tampa forwards and Cuddles or Dubolk instead of Meszaros. Meszaros is having a nice season but at least some of his success can be attributed to Barron, and I feel like it would've made more sense to have 1 F and 1D from toronto and tampa. So I guess Kandinsky was the biggest snub for me.

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]

I think the biggest All-Star snub would have to be Bob Duncan from the Anaheim Outlaws. Now truthfully I didn't even check to see if he was on the team because I feel like he is someone who would be snubbed. He's a quiet chap but since his arrival into the SMJHL he has quietly been a stud player and a great team mate. He doesn't seem to go for the glory but he is leading the Anaheim Outlaws in points and he just trudges along and is making most of us think he was the best steal in the season 59 SHL draft. He went early in the second round but this kid is going to deliver. I'm not sure he's even ,missed a point task or anything he's diligent is claiming his welfare claims. I believe he's a baseball man at heart but perhaps we can sway him to the dark side that is hockey that we all know and love.

WOOOOOOOOO Bob Duncan. And if you made the team buddy, congrats, like I said I didn't even go look.

[Image: wLeEjGc.jpeg]

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2021, 05:07 PM by Tomen.)

I am going to go for the low hanging fruit here by stating that my All Star Snub this season goes to Monkey D. Luffy which can obviously be due to inherrent bias of me being one of his GMs. I do think there have been a lot of deserving candidates this season for the honour of being in the SHL All Star Games.

While some advanced analytical metrics apparently don't look favourbly on Luffy's performance there are a few traditional metric which seem to paint a picture of him being quite deserving of an All Star spot. Being tied for the #3 spot in the league with goals as well as #9 overall in league points do seem like stats worthy of an All Star spot. I can totally understand the reason though why Luffy was denied the spot since there have been already quite a few Buffalo Stampede players that got a spot and you don't wanna oversaturate the all star game with players from 1 team. So I like to believe Luffy was a victim of circumstance.

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

I think the biggest all star snub was Knox Booth. He is the backbone of the Los Angeles Panthers and faces an incredible number of shots while putting up significant numbers. To his counterparts in the all star game, his stats are slightly more favorable. Both other goalies are not the sole representative of their team so they are not required to be there. Tegernako has earned his spot but Booth is more deserving than Kavanagh. Kavanagh plays on a deeper team and has the luxury of a better backup to help with a tight schedule where Booth played a lot of back to backs. Despite this, Booth has put up better numbers. Overall, the all star game is about fun and these rosters may not be the best performing players of the season in favor of all teams being represented. I think for an event like this, it is better this way for the enjoyment of everyone.

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/DYZ5jqO.jpg[/img]