Create Account

S59 PT #5 - An Unexpected Surprise

I've maybe had a couple unexpected surprises during my short career like being drafted nearly last into the SHL, and being named the alternate captain of the Edmonton Blizzard after just one season playing for the team. Not much to write about those though. I'm very thankful how the draft worked out being chosen by the Blizzard and its quite an honour to wear the A for the prestigious Winter Foxes.

I think the biggest surprise to date has to be the S55 playoff run by the Maine Timber. After quickly disposing of the Detroit Falcons in 4, our path to the finals saw us up against two juggernauts of the West in Anchorage and Kelowna. After winning game 1 of the Anchorage series, we quickly found ourselves down 3-1 to the Armada and the league's best goaltender in Scoochie Stratton. My Timber teammates and I never gave up and fought back to take the series 4-3 where I had unfounded success scoring goals on Stratton. Next up was the Knights were we once again found ourselves in a do or die game 6. Facing elimination we showed the same heart as in the Anchorage series and forced a game 7 which we took too. Next up was the Berserkers and that's where this fairy tale ends. Newfoundland was too good that season and we just couldn't get it done.

[Image: CrazyMojitoSHL.gif]
Canada Blizzard Stars Renegades  Citadelles Citadelles Renegades  Stars Blizzard Canada 

I have three surprises I want to talk about, two of which are related.

1. S53: the wolfpack was doing great in the first season of FHM ever in the league. We topped the charts, were favorites going into the playoffs, and I had the honor of being able to share in the scoring glory. Once the playoffs started, we got past the first round but got stomped in the second. It was a surprising disappointment to have all of our great moments during the season instead of spreading them out into the playoffs as well.

2. S54: the wolfpack did pretty decently, but due to the competitive conference (the top 3 overall teams were in our conference) we just barely didn't make the cut to the playoffs. This caused a cascade of trade requests in our core player group which gave us a ton of high picks to rebuild but also left the few remaining core members a bit isolated on a team of younglings.

3. Slap McShotty's S57 IIHF run: I joined team Switzerland without high expectations to help some friends, but during this one season Slap was on fire. He came second overall in points and helped SWI make the medal rounds that season, which was a somewhat rare occurrence during those times.

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget

An unexpected event that happened for Karl was last season where he was extremely lucky, and fortunate enough to win the Mexico and lead the league in goals. This was unexpected because at no point in his career was developing into anything other than a tough, hard hitting player in the cards. His junior career was bad to middling, with one good season coming after he physically dwarfed his competition. Time after time he was not able to put up numbers against equal competition. Bringing this streak up to the SHL, he wouldn't even eclipse 30 points until just barely recently and with the bump up to 66 games, was finally able to make that kindof a standard. The jump to 42 goals, 71 points was blistering. Essentially doubling the point per game total, and helping Baltimore secure a playoff position probably a full season before their rebuild was expected to crack that barrier all blended together to be an amazing and unforgettable season.

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

PBE PT

[Image: duncan_png.png]

The most unexpected event In simulation hockey league history has to be back in the old days when there was a massive racism scandal of an offical Simulation Hockey League account sending racist symbols to a at the time a general manager. The investigation concluded that the person using an official account to do this was actually the Simulation Hockey League Commissioner who had been on the job for multiple seasons and even continued his job after the scandal. This scandal created massive waves in the league and was quite surprising who the culprit ended up being.

This moment ultimately defines previous Simulation Hockey League management as in today's day this type of behavior would not be tolerated as shown by previous suspensions for bad behavior. It is interesting to look back to see how much the Simulation Hockey League has grown and society in general has changed. This incident in Simulation Hockey League history is one I always remember because it was kind of shocking but kind of funny in the same breathe even though it is not funny yanoe.

(170 words)

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM
Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

Sad Ketchup -Present
S76 Ryan Jesster Trophy Winner

The big surprise for Nick Brain's career was the shock semifinal run from the Winnipeg Aurora (then the Jets) in Season 57. Winnipeg was expected to be another middle of the pack, first round elimination type of team, and were set for a showdown against a capable Los Angeles Panthers outfit. The Panthers and Jets had some battles through the regular season that often came down to the goaltending, and this time around Strom Chamberlain outdueled Knox Booth to give the Jets the win.

The the Jets scored a second big win over the Edmonton Blizzard, who suffered the indignity of a cap penalty that skewered their depth defense, forcing them to play emergency SMJHL-level signings on 500k contracts for their third defense pairing. Strom Chamberlain had another strong series, and Winnipeg came back from a 3-1 deficit for a shock 7 game series win.

Unfortunately, Winnipeg ran out of luck against Hamilton, being ground into dust by the Steelhawks in 5 as they no doubt went on to win another Cup. However, Winnipeg surprised many with their semifinal run, and it created some optimism within the franchise as the shift to the Aurora branding took place. Of course, some of it hasn't been realized yet, but theres still some young forwards with promise on the team that may build off this surprising Season 57 semifinal showing someday.

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Former Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger -  Aurora  Stars

Such a crazy, surprising unexpected event that happened in Vladmir Petrov’s life is none other then having an amount of brothers that no one expected. Their Mom just continued to birth out children, one after another after another after another, and the craziest thing to go with it as well, is that their dad has had many mistresses as well, and it’s why all the brothers are right around the same age. Think about that, there is what? 8 Petrov Brothers all within three years of each other. You can’t tell me something is crazy and unexpected with that, especially since none of the brothers are twins or triplets. There are just so many god damn Petrovs that you have to realize that they will never stop being Petrov blood in the world. So without a doubt of anything else, you have to feel that the brothers Petrov are an unexpected event that no one would really expect. It’s quite surprising still to this day for Vladmir.

(167 words)

[Image: petrov2.png]
[Image: muford_hof_sig.png]

Oh do I have surprise for you. The SHL announces that we are once again going to have an expansion, alright cool - people saw that one coming. As time passes people start to speculate, who has applied, who do you think will be selected. Well HO makes a post announcing they will be having a live stream to announce the new GMs. People tune into the stream and to the surprise of many @Acsolap was selected. Ass who is notorious for creating the famed "toxic" anchorage discord, has been handed the keys to create his own SHL team. As many people cried at their computers, as they could not believe ass was handed an SHL team after creating a toxic smjhl team, yes this the same SMHJL team who had been recently punished by HO for toxic behaviours within their discord. Now personally I am not surprised, ass will do great things with his team, and I can wait to see people whine and cry over his shl team.

169 words

[Image: Oats.gif]

[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

PBE PT Affiliate

[Image: Us6kFH7.png]
[Image: of1yZSs.png]
[Image: IyckvZg.png]

The biggest unexpected surprise in Nystrom's life thus far were his first few calls from North American junior organizations. He'd gone undrafted in his junior entry draft, and thought that was the end of any ideas he might have had of playing juniors in North America. The SHL might not have been out of the question, but he still wasn't going to be playing in American juniors and would need to work that much harder to earn a place on the SHL's draft board. He hadn't expected SMJHL scouts to keep their eyes on him after the draft, much less start making phone calls halfway through their season. Even beyond that, he was doubly surprised by Colorado's willingness to spend a significant sum on ensuring he landed in Denver. When he did arrive, his doubts were confirmed more than his hopes, as he was entirely over his head for that first season and didn't even begin to play up to his own standard until this second season in the league. It's these final three seasons in Colorado, not his first, that will determine whether his team was right to trust him.

[199 words]

[Image: zN6tB52.png]

I've talked about it plenty before, so I'm probably beating a dead horse here.. but to date this is still the most unexpected set of circumstances that have occurred during my player's career and it gives me something to word vomit about for teeps.

The first surprise in Burke's career was getting drafted to the Hamilton Steelhawks. I had been scouted by them, but just based on our conversation I didn't think they were really all that interested in drafting me and figured I'd be a lot lower on their priority list. I got over that surprise, and then just a couple of days after the draft got traded to Toronto. Looking back this probably shouldn't have been as big a surprise to me as it was, but as a new user to the league it definitely threw me off a bit to get punted that quickly. But, it turned out great because I really loved Toronto and those guys treated me great. But then a third surprise came about... just as I was getting settled in to the team and only a couple days after my extending my contract, I was awkwardly traded again but this time to Winnipeg.

Since then things have been relatively uneventful and I've enjoyed my time with the Aurora. No more surprises.. for now Smile

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid, swoosh and eni for sigs! <3

Cassius Darrow has had a few surprises throughout his career. His biggest was probably a phone call from his agent after Season 45. When Johnny Hamilton called, he said that the Buffalo Stampede GMs had asked him if Darrow was open to starting his SHL career with Buffalo that next season. Darrow, fresh off a career season (his first as captain) and an outstanding playoff performance cut short by Detroit, was very surprised. He always thought he would be a 4 (or 5) year player in the SMJHL. During all his draft interviews, he made it clear his intentions to, above all else, win a Four Star Cup. After coming close in the rookie Meme Team 1.0 run of S44, and then falling short in the semifinals in S45, he wanted to keep pushing for that illusive championship. Buffalo allowed him one more season in the SMJHL, calling up noted douche and draft bust Samuel Jalopski instead.

The rest, is sad and shocking history. Colorado got out to a cold start in S46, and their second-year captain did not see the same level of production as a third year player. The Raptors fell well short of expectations, and Darrow did not have the season any anticipated. However, Buffalo called him up for their playoff run, where Darrow stepped into 3rd pairing minutes almost immediately. While not a major piece, he was an effective player in a depth role for the surging Stampede. In the end, before playing his first SHL regular season game, Cassius Darrow was a Challenge Cup Champion.

From S46 to S55, Buffalo won all three Challenge Cup Finals series they appeared in. Since Darrow’s departure to Seattle in the S56 Expansion, the Stampede are 0-2 in Challenge Cup Finals series.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

A major life event happened to Kermit Murphy this season when he learned he had a half-brother, Ty Murphy. It seems that in his playing days, his father Tig Murphy had done a little more scoring than people previously thought, which resulted in Kermit unexpectedly having to learn a whole lot of unpleasant details about dear old dad's sex life before welcoming his baby brother to the team. With Murphy taking an increased role on the team in his third junior season, it made sense for him to also take the younger Murphy under his wing and teach him a thing or two as the latter prepares for the SHL draft at the end of the season. It's been quite a shock not only learning he has a brother, but also being teammates with that person, but Kermit has tried to take it in stride and ensure that he's being the best leader and half-brother he can be while leading the league in goal scoring.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

For avid young rollerblader Jack Nishimori, it was never expected that he would find a place in the world of professional sports. After all, who really takes rollerblading professionally? But Jack didn't care, he just kept on a-blading. It put him a real zen state to go around the boroughs of Lodon blading his way all throughout the winding city streets, hitting a sick rail grind here and there as he got the chance. Jack did everything in his blades. He woke up in his blades, went to school in his blades, and snogged his girlfriend at the back of the school in his blades. During school hours they wouldn't let Jack blade. He wished they'd let him blade through the halls or at least out at PE. It was one day out for games playing field hockey with his class that Jack though how cool it would be to skate and play hockey at the same time. His mate Benji gave him a huge unexpected surprise when he told him about the miracle that is ice hockey and how he could skate and play hockey at the same time. Jack immediately dived into the sport and found his innate and well-trained talent for skating gave him a distinct edge among his peers. Even though he only joined a team shortly after starting sixth form Jack found himself immediately gaining a lot of attention from scouts from the SMJHL and the rest is history!

[Image: qWestSHL.gif]
[Image: cEbgUph.png][Image: pPWkZOM.png][Image: Voi7GNj.png][Image: h2OFdMh.png]

Magnus Liljestrom does not handle surprises well, which may surprise (ha) some people in that he is able to react quite well to unanticipated moves by opposing players on the ice. However, the same could not be said of his personal life. So when his girlfriend surprised him with a short statement saying that "We need to talk," Magnus immediately had an adverse reaction and required some time to compose himself. After taking some time to do deep breaths, count to twenty, perform yoga, and re-balance his personal chakra, Magnus sat down with his girlfriend ready for the big talk. Thankfully, it was not "the talk" that he was dreading, nor was it "the other talk" that he was dreading but would have been happier about. In fact, this talk was about how his sourdough starter that Fred Wanesly @Mediocre_Fred had given to him had been sadly killed in an accident involving kombucha, a blow torch and several llamas. It was not a pleasant surprise, but at least it was something that he could recover from.

[Image: image.png]
[Image: v2ZHYxx.png]