Create Account

S62 PT#5: Champion???
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2021, 03:49 PM by hockeyiscool.)

As everyone is walking out of the tunnel and the crowd is electric. Many of my fellow superstars are just starting to feel butterflies in their stomach for the first time in years. Numbed by the exposure of high pressure situation after high pressure situation. This is different than all of those. This is a battle against history. A shot at revenge for being embarrassed earlier. The line of Minamino, Wagner and Alexander Roach starts off the game. As the puck drops Robert Phelps gets leverage on Roach's stick causing a yard sale. Phelps dumps the puck deep into our defensive zone as Jukka Timonen fields the puck. Mike Izzy lays down a booming hit that sends Jukka through the glass causing a stop in play. I look to Michael Fitted on the bench with surprise and say under my breath "Ah shit, here we go again". After 10 minutes of glass repair, play resumes but the mental damage to Jukka was done. He couldn't go back out on the ice and opted to sit down with our sports psychologist. 

[180 words]

So the Regina Elk missed out on the playoffs this time around after a bit of a tough season. It's clear that there are still some growing pains, given that this is only our second season. But imagine a different timeline, where Regina had a slightly better season and made it this season.

First round matchup is against the Kelowna Knights, a rematch of last season. Everyone expects a series sweep by the Knights, as was the case last season. Instead Regina stuns everyone, by not only going 4-0, but shutting out every game as Rebeca Montagne becomes a brick wall in net. Amazingly, Regina progresses to the finals after two more sweeps, now making them 12-0 in the playoffs.

Looking at the other semis, the team now sees that they will play their expansion counterparts in the Great Falls Grizzlies. In just two seasons time, both expansions teams have amazingly made it to the finals for a chance at their first trophy. Regina comes in over confident after having won so many games in a row, and manages to drop the first three of the series. Just when everyone thinks the series is over, Regina comes storming back to tie the finals at three games a piece, forcing a game 7.

The score is tied at 2, and the teams are heading into overtime. That's when Yannick Svoboda is tripped on a breakaway and gets a penalty shot that could decide the series. In what would be the best moment in his young career, Svoboda scores and gets to lift the four stars cup with his teammates. Regina becomes the first of the S61 expansion teams to win the cup and does it in just two seasons...

At least this scenario helps me deal with how our team actually did this season.

PanthersPanthersPanthersPanthers

KnightsKnightsKnightsKnights

ISFL Affiliate

[Image: gill.png]

In Maine, it's pretty easy to say what we need to do to win the Cup and that is avoid Newfoundland at all costs. Honestly, @Toast should be smart enough to know that Newfoundland is not only our kryptonite, they are quite likely an entire solar system of kryptonite. It is impossible, in Maine history, for us to get past this team and a smart general manager would throw games even to get a lower seed and guarantee a path that keeps us away from them every chance possible.

... What do you mean we play Newfoundland second round? ... *Sigh.*

That's our way out, we have to face what has given us the biggest hell that we have ever faced in our team's history. Sometimes, you have to come face to face with your biggest fear and you have to make it fear you. And in this case ... well, I think we were better off facing a Kelowna or Nevada in the second round, or a Carolina who hasn't won in the playoffs in recent seasons. I think we needed to get some lucky breaks for sure, but to make our way through Anaheim, then say Carolina, and head off from there to a Kelowna or Nevada, to end against Anchorage. I think that would've been a very doable situation.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2021, 05:19 PM by LB3737.)

PBE PT

Well if I were to create a run that would be legendary for beating teams leading to a cup win this is how I wish this playoffs would go, which obviously it wont since I have already been eliminated. Well first off it would start the exact same New England vs Hamilton, expect instead of losing in 6 we perform a reverse sweep knocking them out of the playoffs and moving onto round 2, see ya hammy. Next round I would want to face Buffalo, another juggernaut, time to knock them down a peg and take that series in 7 as well. Following round we would have Baltimore. An upcoming cup contender, well already there really and would love to just roll them over but that wont happen , yep you guessed it, another game 7. Finally I would like to face Chicago in the finals to complete the ultimate juggernaut challenge, and again another game 7 because chaos is my best friend and it would be great seeing this timeline. Then I wake up from my dream and get sad.

[Image: 57771_s.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Prompt 1

So, here it was. The final game, this time against the Hall-of-Famers. Not sure how these old coots are still gamely hanging on, but they are and they haven't been easy customers for the previous teams. You'd have expected them to wither away and die, or fall down and break a hip or something.

That's OK. We can beat them with treachery and youth. Now that we have lessons from the Old Timers, and the secure knowledge that we're at our peak.

The puck drops, we battle for 60 minutes, and in the end, we had a late goal that sealed the deal. A perfect lob pass from me to Minamino, who streaked in and beat their goalie up top for that picture-perfect game-ending goal. As the clock wound down we mobbed together at center ice, celebrating our win and enjoying the feeling. Maybe we can meet up again at the all-star game, but for now, this was our victory to savour.

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

Quote:PROMPT 2- If you don't understand the previous prompt or that one doesn't sound fun to write about, try this prompt.

Written Task: Yeah the prompt 2s this season were boring as fuck, but that's how it goes when you try to be vanilla for everyone. But lets use our imagination here. If you are in the SHL playoffs/SMJHL playoffs, you want to win it all probably. So, do just that. Describe a playoff tree that has you winning all rounds en route to the cup. What opponents did you beat along the way? In how many games? Who was MVP and how did you do? If you aren't on a playoff team right now.... fuck it. Just put your team in for another team. Who cares? (150+words) 134 words

First step is making the playoffs. Check. Baltimore has been fortunate to have a solid foothold in the playoffs, slowly progressing each season. Let's go with how the playoffs seem to actually playing out at this point in the week, because why not? First round, 5 hard fought games against Atlanta Inferno. This series had a lot including some controversy over the deja vu game one. Move on to the next round, a classic rival in Tampa Bay Barracuda. This is going to be a great series. Will be a lot of back and forth and rivalry chatter. I certainly plan to be chirping Fiddler on twitter throughout the series, and I know he is going to throw punches right back at me!

Platoon in 6!! It'll be too close to be comfortable, but ultimately we should prevail.

Now on to Buffalo or Hamilton. This is going to be a tough test, hopefully they can beat each other up in their series.

Finals brings league leading Chicago. I think this series goes the distance, but Baltimore has the firepower to prevail!

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

PBE Affiliate

[Image: 3MtyuZk.gif]
[Image: dAxJaBU.gif]

I actually haven't minded the prompt 2s at all this season, it's nice to talk about our player, at least some of the PTs. Our path to the finals in Tampa Bay is pretty straight forward, assuming we make it through Philly, which I think we have a solid chance at doing, we are going to have a really hard path to the finals after that.. I expect to see BAP, HAM, and BUF/TOR to make round 2, so BAP would be our likely 2nd round opponent. We've always had our struggles against BAP, at least since I've joined the team. If we can get through them we would have to face one of the big 3 from the north east, I know that isn't giving NEW much credit but they are new to the playoff mix. If we make it through BAP and play HAM or BUF I think we will have some trouble with them, but if we can make it past two very difficult rounds and into the finals I like our shot at winning a championship vs the west victor.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Prompt 1. Finals, baby! Is anybody who is writing their own narrative not going to have their team win it all? Yeah, we won and I guess it was sort of close. But I played some awesome defense and even got an assist on a power play and We got this thing 3-1. The crowd roared. We were the champions! We're the peak guys so it all makes sense. The Hall of Famers still have it but they're old and we're not as old so it's all good. After the game we all went and partied together and ate sushi and had sake bombs and probably some sparkling wine as well. Winning is always a delight and who is going to write this story so that they lose? Realists, maybe, if they're not on the prime team. But then wouldn't those people want to write a big dramatic underdog story or something. Also just want to say I love the more creative prompts and those who'd rather write about boring league stuff are boring. I still like them, though.

[Image: traphag2.gif]
(sigs courtesy of Carpy48, BDonini, Turd Ferguson, FlappyGiraffe, and Sulovilen)

To win it all in tampa bay, we have to first beat the Philadelphia Forge, which we have technically done already. Our biggest hurdle will likely be Baltimore. They have already advanced past the inferno in 5 games and they always give us a huge amount of trouble. But if we can manage to overcome them, then the fire we have lit under ourselves will carry us past whoever comes out of the Buffalo / Hamilton scrum. If I had to hazard a guess, we're looking at 7 games for each of those series, with James Ronlain playing MVP for the playoffs, as he has already done. After that, i imagine league leaders Chicago Syndicate will be the last hurdle to overcome. They have a stacked team and look like they could run away with a cup. In order to beat them, we will have to sabotage their entire operation by straight up assassinating their goal leader. After that, the games will be easy.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Honestly, for Texas, the rest of the bracket doesnt matter. We have to go through Chicago, no matter how you slice it.  With the backward ass playoff bracket, that happens in the second round, rather than the conference finals.  No matter.  We meet up with Minnesota in the first round, they steal game three in their barn, but we slide past them with the "Gentleman's Sweep" (4-1).  Now the tough part.  Chicago.  We've struggled against them in the regular season, they are #1 for a reason.  But we do it, we manage to squeak by in a 7 game series.  I feel bad for whoever we face after that.  Seattle or LAP, doesn't really matter, we'll chew through them like we did in the regular season.  Quick 4-5 series and then it's on to the finals.  Next comes Baltimore.  The new up and comer in the Eastern conference shocks Hamilton in the East Finals and advances.  While Baltimore is quite good, they just don't have that much deep playoff experience the last couple years and so we manage to vanquish them in a hard fought, 6 game series and bring the Cup back to Texas once again.

[Image: hudson.png]

PROMPT 2, with a little twisting if you let me. Who would've guessed it, it's arty trying to make the PT about IIHF again.

The round robin is over. The Czechs have qualified, as is typical, but the bracket ahead is a daunting one. having a point percentage of ~60%, the Czechs qualified in the fourth and final spot of their group, and as such will have to face the group leader: the United States. However, while the titans somehow clinched the top seed in the group of death, the United States have seen better days as they fall in a depth scoring effort that sees the Czechs triumph 6-0.

The next round again sees the Czechs face a juggernaut: second seed Canada. In an effort reminiscent of S25, the Czechs are outshot and out paced, however an outstanding goaltending performance from Name Redacted sees the Czechs make it to overtime, and then the second overtime, before being sealed with an overtime goal from Aron Hernadivic.

Finally, in a bout of epic proportions, the Czechs will face the Japanese (the Swiss didn't make it out of groups). The action is intense with each team trading rushes and power-play opportunities while the shot count is kept even. However, again the Czechs take a one goal lead thanks to depth scoring. From then on in, the pressure is on from Japan, and most of the rest of the game, it seems, is played on the Czech side of center. The result is a nearly 50 save shutout for Name Redacted as the Czechs seal their victory in a run for the ages. Name Redacted steals the IIHF Best Goalie award, which is not supposed to be awarded for medal round performance, from whatever poor soul had it before and all golds Japan had won previously are now forfeit.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

https://worldsimbasketball.jcink.net/ind...entry12034

[Image: giphy.gif]