Create Account

S63 PT #5: Source Code

THIS ANSWER IS IN RESPONSE TO PROMPT UNO, ALSO KNOWN AS THE FIRST PROMPT (if you can believe it)

So, you are telling me that I have the power of the sim in the palm of my hand? And I can shape it however I please? And no one will be the wiser? Slap some gold horns on my head and call me Loki - I'm about to prank some fellas.

I think the first thing to change would be each team's goal horns. Obviously the GMs would pick up on how their song/horn isn't playing, but then they'd blame it on the CPU. In reality, it was me who changed the Platoon goal song to Hodor's death rattle from HBO's "Game of Thrones"! I'm a snakey boy.

Another simple but effective alteration would be to change each player's build into Juani Panda's build - let chaos reign as hits outnumber goals like rats outnumber humans.

Platoon Rob Wright Battleborn

Affiliate Link ISFL Falcons

[Image: 65157_s.gif]

Prompt 1

I guess I would try and take the most hands off approach as possible.  I want the league to be as fair and un bias as possible.  The one thing that would be nice with an all AI GM league is that no one GM can have more knowledge than another and no GM can run more test sims than the others.  I would try to add at least some sense of the anything can happen on any given Sunday kind of thing.  I get that the better team usually wins and that in the SHL, more TPE equals better team, but everyone loves an underdog winning every once and a while and everybody likes seeing the odd upset.  So I guess that would be how I would take control of the league if given the chance add a little more uncertainty to the league, make every game really count.  Let's see some miracle wins every once and a while like we do in the real world.

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

One thing that FHM does an awful job with is speed. From what I can tell, speed has a minimal impact on overall player performance in the sim. Power forwards do very well in the sim despite not having a speed over 16. This in a vacuum is fine, but what isn’t handled well is the fact that forwards with 18 or 19 speed see no real benefit from being significantly faster than most of the league. Tactics and strategies shouldn’t have a negative impact on how incredibly fast players perform as those players realistically should always have an impact on the game. Overall, I think FHM allows tactics to have too much of an impact over the success of teams. I think TPE levels should generally correlate to success, but some teams seem to have figured out a way to be successful based on predominantly on superior tactics. I would love to see an iteration of the league with AI generated lines and tactics.

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

I have seen so many times in FHM a goalie stand on their head and make 70+ saves in a game. IRL this happens like once every couple years but in my SMJHL career it happened 3 or 4 times against us and it's super unrealistic as that shit never happens in real life. Especially in a 3 period game. Not to mention the fact that normally on 70 shots we normally only scored 1 goal or so. So it was totally ridiculous. Some other things that don't happen in real life is that in FHM you can make a team of enforcers which can literally just bully teams into defeat. That shit worked in the 70s but in FHM 6 it is alive and well. And this isn't really sim relevant as much as it is just a general grievance I have with OOTP. If I'm playing a historical save there should be an option for dynamic team moves. This means that if a team that historically moved does well in the historical sim, they don't move. If they still do badly then they do move. I had a historical save I was running from the 70's into the 2000s and seeing The Jets move when they had Wayne Gretzky and 6 cups to their name was just so fucking cringe. Ruined the experience for me.

[Image: RrqOgzL.png]
[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]
[Image: yuWLBZB.png]

If im going to just make my team win all the time that would be kinda boring and the league would lose its appeal. I can use this power to make things a lot more interesting though. Randomly making a team a die hard goon squad would be hilarious. Players may even want to be traded there to get in on the action. Set another team to only shoot (wait is this sths) and nothing else and watch the confusion in chat as the shot counter hits 100 and nobody is hitting a damn thing. There is plenty of room to make fun narratives since everyone thinks its legit. Nerf the other teams and get a Cinderella run out of somebody like san fransisco. Have hamilton make it to the finals only to have them get completely undressed in a sweep by sfp. Wouldnt that be something. Of course i would give myself all the individual glory regardless. Gotta get this hair into the hall.

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

[Image: VLM2ZqG.png]

[Image: rum_ham.gif] [Image: ox6aAot.png]
[Image: 62428_s.gif]
[Image: ddIlIkT.png]Colin Lambert ll Left Defence ll Barracuda[Image: NA3IV5m.png]

I think the biggest issue FHM has currently is the fact that goaltenders don't really factor into the overall result. I think maybe if in the core game that might not be an issue but in the current state of the SHL, being a goaltender is almost useless. Having good forwards and having good defenders are much more important. In real hockey, a team can obviously win and do well with spotty goaltending but typically good teams have good goaltenders and they can have a major impact on how a team does. I think something FHM does well is its advanced stats. Well they do have some limitations and really only give you a more offensive picture, I think the inclusion at all is fantastic. I hope in future iterations they add more options for advanced stats and allow for more ways to play around with them. This could eventually help refine defensive awards like the Bojo and Dar.

Code:
159 words

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

The most common complaint and obvious criticism with the Franchise Hockey Manager series is that there is no 2-D or 3-D representation of the actual hockey games. Much like its predecessors, we really don’t get to see much on-ice hockey action in FHM 6. We do get a text-based play-by-play, accompanied with an on-ice heat map that shows where a significant event is occurring. But you couldn’t call Franchise Hockey Manager a 2-D hockey sim. I’d say it’s somewhere in the range of 1.25-D. Maybe a dimension and a half.

I would absolutely love to see an NHL 94-style gameplay presentation for FHM. I would be cool with this just as a sim, but potentially a 2-D game that managers could actually play out themselves would be awesome as well. It doesn’t have to be anything advanced, just skate, shoot, pass and check. Three buttons is all we need. We just need a little bit of that NHL 94-97 swagger, back when NHL games were the king of sports gaming. It’s probably impossible but I thought I would try to speak it into existence

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

FHM honestly, despite all its faults, does present simmed hockey in a great way. It is extremely engaging and keeps the highlights super entertaining. I feel that its faults lay more on the sim itself than the presentation. One thing you dont see a lot in real life that happens a lot in FHM, is a team beating the opposing team with way less shots. This happens in real life but not eith the frequency it does in FHM. Youll have 15 shots and 3 goals vs 40 shots and 1 goal.

Itd be nice for FHM to upgrade their highlight system. While its not horrible itd be so cool if we could see the puck moving through the ice, connecting each highlight in the play. Also maybe a bit more interactive cheering when cool plays happen (its already there but id love to see it with more frequency). So far it is definitely a great option, but I hope the devs and our league keep bettering it.

Raptors Raptors  Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors

Forge Forge Forge Forge Forge Forge 

Germany Germany Germany Germany Germany Germany 

[Image: drokeep.gif]

Prompt 2:

I honestly think that for what it is, FHM does a really good job and is a pretty realistic sim engine. It definitely does have its flaws but when they made this sim, they probably did not think there would be a large community of people that would create a league around the sim engine and find ways to exploit the hell out of the engine and all the tactics and such. For the casual player it is more than fine and they wouldn’t notice too much wrong with it, but for us, who have studied the engine and found ways to bolster our teams, we’ve noticed some issues and quirks for sure. The parity isn’t always there depending as you can really create super teams, but that may be more a league issue than a sim league issue. You know when a power play goal is about to be scored because the power play clock will suddenly disappear and that can really ruin the immersion of the simulation. And there really shouldn’t be a meta. You should be able to win in different ways if you have skilled players.

[Image: kahnwald.png]
Sig by @Ragnar

Prompt 1:

Well, if I am the ubermensch that somehow manages to hack into FHM, I think that I would just mod the brakes off of the sim engine to bring some much better User Interface. One of the many things I would do would be to implement a 3d live mode. Sure, it would be so different to what the people usually see, but we can run it off as an update for the sim engine, and people coming up to this would be having a much better time watching the sim.
As for the AI part of the deal, I would leave it in a mostly random state where whilst the players themselves would still have a heavy influence over themselves, but how they build their player would make the AI adapt their strats to best fit them in, and this will influence how the sims would play out. Who knows, with the results of the cohesions built, we could have an underdog like the Platoon winning it all.

[Image: ProjectSaint.gif]
Sig Credit: Flappy (EVO) and Skolpaddor (RESO)

EMEKA VALENTINE-OKOLI/PLAYER

First SMJHL Goal: Colorado Raptors, Emeka Valentine-Okoli 1 (Mikelis Ozoliņš 4, Loki Odinsson 3) at 3:12, 2nd Period (GWG) / SMJHL S47 Game 47 Day 12: Colorado Raptors vs Detroit Falcons
First SHL Goal: Texas Renegades, Emeka Valentine-Okoli 1 (Josef Kubinec 5, Ricky Spanish 4) at 16:23, 2nd Period / SHL S51 Game 71 Day 16: Edmonton Blizzard vs Texas Renegades

Eternal RaptorsRaptors Old, onwards we roll Rage

And Let's Retire at the Pinnacle

FHM gets a lot of things right but the most frustrating thing is the disproportionate amount of times a team getting out shot by double or more wins a game. Yes it happens but not as often as FHM has it. I think it simulates the NHL where any team can win on a given night. The difference is in the NHL those teams actually play better. FHM just seems to arbitrarily decide the worse team will win despite playing significantly worse than the other team. It can't seem to factor in a worse team that can play better one night but still be worse. I believe this simulates parity and while the end is effectively the same, I don't think it's representative of what the parity should be. Of course I don't know how exactly that could be coded in and I'm sure it's difficult but on the surface I think that's plaguing our teams and makes lower team victories feel less deserved

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/DYZ5jqO.jpg[/img]

https://worldsimbasketball.jcink.net/ind...entry21126

PROMPT 1- 

If I found a hack that allows me to modify roles, tactics, or anything in the sim. I would change up what I do every week. Just do completely random stuff. Like set have teams to AI set organization. Other half go all Defensive roles. Or full tempo or lowest setting on all tactics. I dont know really, there is so much I could and would do. You could really mess with teams. Put defenders as forwards. Put best players on 4th line. All I know is that I would set my team to exactly what I want it to be. I would have to include my team changes just to avoid suspicion. But maybe I could make the random changes on my team just more favorable. More Agitators in my lineup. During the season might keep it under wraps and not go all out but once or twice. But once playoffs hit. Its go time. Full change for whatever team my team plays. Anything to win the cup. 
-169 words

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs