Create Account

S64 PT #3: Trick Play

P1. 
Coach you put me in, now let me play. I know what the video says but just hear me out ok. This is a power play drill. We need to set ourselves up in the shape of a Z. I know it sounds cliché but you have two guys down low, two up and one in the middle of the Z. Basically you have someone at each point. You start at the bottom of the Z once its all setup. The puck gets passed up top across the ice like you are setting up for a slapper. Instead of taking the shot, it’s a slap pass through the legs of the guy standing in the middle. He pretends to deflect the puck but is essentially just a screen. The guy in the top right of the Z corrals the puck and makes a quick pass across the crease to the guy in the front left who just gently taps the puck into the net. This is a classic screen and misdirect. Everyone thinks the slapper is coming to the right, and the puck ends up on the left side for a gimme goal.

[Image: topalo2.png] [Image: sig-nash.png]
[Image: Rangerjasegmailcom.gif]

I can see an argument for both sides when it comes to 'trick plays' in our game, but overall I think that they do belong in the game. Hockey has changed in so many ways, and recently. The game used to be about grit and size back in the 90's, even into the early 2000's. Now it's all about pure skill and speed, take a look at McDavid for example. Someone like that would get murdered by the Lindros' and Stevens' of the league back in the 90's; now he reigns supreme. With that, comes the ability to perform these trick plays and more often than we would have in the old days. In a way, the game just kind of evolved to let trick plays into (and stay) in the game. At the same time, it allows for more diverse plays and creative thinking for players and coaches. This also keeps defensive players on alert, and just expands the game overall.

Code:
Words: 150+

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

Shoyo Hinata is a creative player. So when the Colorado raptors coach asked him to come up with a play that push the boundary of the sport. Shoyo was pretty excited and thought about his agent Gordon Bombay. Gordon starred in a wonderful three-part documentary called the Mighty Ducks.

In the documentary there are three tricks played that Shoyo thinks he can adapt to Colorado. The first one is the big V. The player start at the end of the ice and progresses to the opposite side of the ice. Since the raptors are dinosaurs and not birds, they can’t use a V shape. So they will do it in an R pattern. It’s more difficult to execute but the opponent will be confused.

The second play they will copy is the butterfly shot. It’s a special type of slapshot that float in the air. Binko Koivu will copy it one for one.

The last trick shot will be one where a player in breakaway does a figure skating pirouette. Shoyo is confident that he can execute it.

[Image: 75fL0ul.png]
credit to Qwest

THIS IS IN RESPONSE TWO, ALSO KNOWN AS THE SECOND PROMPT.

Tricksy hobbitses in hockey? I don't know about that.

That Nolan trick play you showed was cool, in my opinion. It seems like they got lucky somewhat as well, since the defense didn't notice, nor did anyone bring it to anyone's attention from the bench (successfully at least). I actually really like the lacrosse-type goals that get scored. I like things that are entertaining! I'm sure coaches, defenses, and goalies will adapt to that kind of play - and then offensive play will "advance" past that. IT'S INEVITABLE.

Trick plays already exist, I'm bet! There are creative offensive plays off the face off that I don't recognize, but the players seem to inherently know. They, like Hannibal from A-Team, love it when a plan comes together (me too!). I think it would be a neat trick would be to play a man short, have him go to the bench, then sneak his way down to the end of the bench and wait until there's a chance for a breakaway and BOOM - just like the Nolan play you gave as an example - quick goal.

Platoon Rob Wright Battleborn

Everything is a ripoff of something else, right? So if you want to pull off the best trick play the world has ever seen you have to borrow from the greats. Remember the Road Runner and Coyote, or are all of you too young for the classics? Man, that Road Runner had a lot of tricks to get past that Wile E. Coyote. So here's what happens: you have to wait until you have a moment when the opposing team's goalie has skated a bit away from the goal. Then, at that moment, we dispatch a hidden ACME brand anvil that we have hidden in the rafters. Someone pulls the rope and then down it goes onto the goalie. They won't even know what hit them. Now that goal is wide open and ripe for goal scoring. Just remember, no goalies were harmed in the making of this trick play. They may have gotten crunched but in classic cartoon fashion they are quickly able to re-inflate themselves back to their original shape. This is a family hockey game, after all.

[Image: traphag2.gif]
(sigs courtesy of Carpy48, BDonini, Turd Ferguson, FlappyGiraffe, and Sulovilen)
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2022, 04:57 PM by Trempale.)

ISFL affiliate

[Image: IMG_4351.jpg?width=507&height=676]

ISFL PT

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: lIYTYDN.png] [Image: 9pUocRs.png] [Image: tCcIWQC.png] 
[Image: Skree.gif]

HOCKEY PROMPT - GRAPHIC

[Image: DECOY.png]

This takes a few years to set up. But we have two rinks set up next to one another. We then setup decoy dummies on the ice for the opposing to line up against. Only to find out the real game is on the other ice. So by the time they realize its too late and we have the advantage.

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs

ISFL Affiliate

[Image: gill.png]

We're gonna need quite a bit of setup time to put in the proper equipment for this spectacle. First off, our games will from here on be roller rink hockey. We've tried the whole ice hockey thing and it doesn't get Madison Square Garden excited, so we're changing over to roller hockey. This then lets us add in skate park elements - grind rails, stairs, halfpipes, bowls, ramps, the works. All of these things are in play, as well - this is a hockey game with the feel of playing in the middle of an organized chaotic urban skate park! The ice skates are swapped out for roller blades. Sticks will also be changed up for those more suitable for the concrete, and pucks will be replaced with balls so the game keeps moving. Bulky pads will be changed out for lighter protection, save for the goalie. Everything normally allowed in the game of hockey is still allowed here. Just that it will be the first SHL arena meant to be played on roller skates. The possibilities from there are endless - goals scored off skating tricks add a number of goals determined by a panel of judges, with sicker tricks raking in higher scores. There's a risk, though - if you eat shit, your goal is disallowed.

(214)

Speedwagon Player Page | Speedwagon Updates Page 

[Image: speedwagongifsig.gif]

[Image: GoonerBear.gif]

Hockey Prompt:

Trick plays absolutely have a place in the sport, and I hate all of the old hockey boomers who think it doesn't have a place in the game. There are some teams (Ducks, Devils etc) I would never think about watching a few years ago that I now go out of my way to watch because of guys like Trevor Zegras and Jack Hughes putting up highlight reel plays every single night. The more you see these kind of guys "skill it up" every night, the more you are gonna see kids get into the game because they love these kind of crazy plays like the Michigan that these guys are doing every night. The more people you get into the sport, the better it becomes. With more fans comes more money, bigger events, more coverage. I'd love to have more people to talk hockey with in real life, and it's great to see people who are into other sports talk about that crazy goal they saw on sportscenter earlier.

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]

I think the wider issue with hockey and the idea of trick plays is that the game is very old school. The idea of show boating or being seen to disrespect your opponent by trying what could be considered unnecessarily complicated moves is seen by many in the hockey community as counter intuitive to the game. Players that do dare to push the boundaries are often called out by the opposition, retired players and even commentators and can also find themselves in the cross hairs for on ice physical retribution. These things are not only seen in hockey though, baseball has its own hidden code of rules designed to keep players in check and you also see it in football (the actual football) where players like neymar who like to try fancy flicks and step overs are often savagely chopped down by the opposition. We have seen enforcers and the like slowly fazed out of the game and it would not surprise me if more trick plays and skill moves start to become more prevalent over the years.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

Prompt 2

Trick plays definitely have a place in the sport. An amazing example of trick plays come in the NFL, where some trick plays win or lose championship games. For example, the famous Philly Special by the Eagles to beat Tom Brady in the Superbowl. Only the best, most disciplined teams will be able to stay disciplined during trick play and adapt fast enough to counter the trick play. The same goes for hockey. We’ve seen Zegras do a bunch of trick plays already this current NHL season. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. But it doesn’t take an expert to know that some of the highlight reel play this guy makes is not normal and are unbelievably hard to execute. And that gains media from casuals and people who don’t even watch the sport. And if anything draws positive attention the sport, then I think it definitely has a place to stay. It’s a determination of skill, discipline but also, good attention for the sport.

[Image: 53381_s.gif]

[Image: 49370_s.gif]

[Image: uKp7Piy.png]

Code:
1. Team Canada , Benjamin Wong 1 (Jay McDonald) at 8:49
first ever Canadian Olympic goal

Prompt 2

Honestly, it’s hard to actually define what a trick play is. It could be very wide and then you have people calling fake shots, slap passes, and no look passes all trick plays and those you will see pretty much every game. I remember not too long ago, Matt Hendricks had a signature shootout move (dubbed “The Paralyzer” by fans/commentators) that fooled goalies every single time and I have no idea why it worked because he almost never deviated from it, but it did more often than not. Strangely, players did not really copy it and that makes me think it was just too complicated for many others to try. As for plays that are trick shots, such as the examples above, it is really difficult to do these at speed and most of the time you are going to have a defender right in your face so the chances that a trick shot could even be attempted is pretty low to begin with. So ultimately, it is almost always going to be a much higher percentage play to try and fool defenders and the goalie the “standard way.” It’s not as pretty, but it gets the job done.

[Image: CAu3g3c.png]

[Image: zS2lCMp.png]  [Image: oMh09WY.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

First prompt

As it is well known, our team the Atlanta Inferno has a number of anthropomorphic animals on the roster so we have always been worried that the other team will decide to go hunting mid-game and ruin our chance at winning the game by murdering our players. That's why the animals, Eko @hotdog Van Otter, Puddle @Z-Whiz O'Duck, Pablo Salvatici, Samat Goalieman, and Gabriel Johnson all got together to come up with a new revolutionary strategy to win these tough games. After mere minutes of hard work and creative thinking, they came up with the ultimate idea; reverse hunting. By simply killing those who want to kill us before they have a chance to we are almost guaranteed to win the game, and there is currently nothing outlawing murder in the SHL rulebook. We will hide weapons under our jerseys and when the time is right we will strike quickly and take the other team out (who definitely had the same idea as us) and win the game.

168 words

[Image: Jepox.gif]