Create Account

S65 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2022, 09:26 AM by RomanesEuntDomus. Edited 5 times in total.)

Quote:Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

GetridofCW

2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. An LAP team that was disappointed in a S63 finals loss is back again to face a TBB team that has been hungry for their chance in the entire FHM era. Who are you taking as a winner and why?
b. Tampa Bay’s top forwards have been absolute power houses on this run, totalling 102 points across their top 6. If you’re LA, how do you line-match against two lines that are on an absolute tear?
c. L.A.’s D pair of Kierkegaard and Kahnwald are maintaining a shocking 2 more GF/60 than GA/60, despite playing more than 21 minutes a game including PK time. If you’re Tampa Bay how do you get around these two? Hope to outlast them in endurance, or look to more depth scoring?
d. TBB’s roster has racked up many more shot blocks (294) than LAP has (188). Do you see this as a good thing? Is this an iron willed team that’s willing to lay down their bodies to get the job done, or do you think it paints a picture of a team that can’t maintain possession and has to find another way to keep the puck out. Maybe a bit of both?

1. LAP has to be the favorite here both on a personal level and on paper. After spending my entire career with my last player on the Panthers I am really rooting for them, but they've also objectively shown to be the strongest team this season with convincing performances both in the regular season and the playoffs. Tampa is a strong team but it's LAs Cup to lose.
2. I would you say you don't, you just try to play your own game because if the regular season standings are any indications, it's ultimately stronger than theirs. Sure you can't just ignore all the talent that the Barracuda have but you can't let them dictate the series and the style of play either. LA is less reliant on individual performances than Tampa and their more balanced team-first approach should actually be a strength in the finals.
3. I don't think that stat is too shocking, if you are a big minute player on a very strong team that is kinda expected to happen at some point. I have much the same advice for the Barracuda here as I had for the Panthers in the previous question - play your own game and rely on the quality of the Superstar talent that got you this far. You have to count on your top-players to be able to outperform the top players of the opposition, if you don't have confidence in that then you've already lost.
4. I think shots blocked are a pretty meaningless stat in the grand scheme of things. It can indeed mean both of the things that you just mentioned, a team that plays a strong defensive game where people are willing to sacrifice the body as well, or a team that can't hold on to the puck and gets shelled every night. I would go as far as saying that having more blocked shots than the opposition is more of a negative thing than a positive though, so I see this category as going in LAPs favor because they didn't have to block as many shots.

7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

+3

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3233412

16. Written, 2 TPE, Just Like Back Home (100 words min.)
Choose a dish from your IIHF federation and tell me about it! Does your player make it? A member of their family? What’s special about it to you?

One of my favorite dishes that I have grown in love with over the last few years are "Maultaschen", German style dumplings. They are actually from Swabia which isn't where my family is from exactly, but I still love them. One of the reasons they are such a great dish for someone who lives in North America like myself is the flexibility: So many different cuisines from around the world have their own version of dumplings so even if I can't get a hold of the original here, there's a damn good chance I will find a substitute that might be slightly different but is just as great. Also you can get them with so many different feelings, beef of pork or veggies or cream cheese and so many others... And lastly they are pretty easy to make in a pan or using broth and go well with almost everything, making them a true all-situations and delicious dish.

17. Written, 3 TPE, A Few Of Your Favourite Things (150 words min.)
Last season I asked why you chose your IIHF country, and this is somewhat similar but I’m specifically asking for non-hockey reasons now. What are some of your favourite things about the country your player is from? Are there special sights? Cities? Maybe it’s food? All of the above? Do a little research on the country and tell me what you like!

Well Germany is my home country and the place where I and most of my family were born, so it's not like I had much of a say in the matter. As you may know, we Germans have a pretty complicated relationship with our history and with things like national identity and pride, but this is actually something that I like and appreciate. A saying that has became somewhat famous in recent years to describe that phenomenon is "we are proud of not being proud" - we don't see the point of being proud to be Germany, of being proud to be burn in a specific place by sheer luck and through no control of your own. Once you get past these useless expression of pride and patriotism you can actually start to focus on the things that really are important and make a difference in peoples lives, and I think we have done a pretty decent job at that over the years. So I am not proud to be German, but I sure as hell am happy to be.

18. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Congratulations, procrastinator! Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Did anything stand out to you about this season’s final series?

Yaaaaay woop woop, the Panthers have won!! Of course I am very happy that my former team has one but it was also not a super unexpected outcome, after the way the season went they had to be the favorites. So I'd rather take a broader look at these playoffs and how things have been changing in the SHL in recent seasons. There has been a flurry of rule-changes to deal with the unintended side effects of the FHM-era, many of them being aimed at creating more parity by diminishing the edge that people get by either trying to exploit the engine or just being more knowledgeable in it than the rest. So are these playoffs any indication of those changes having an effect?

Yes and no. On the plus side, I think we had a pretty interesting postseason with more close series, more uncertainty and finally a Winner that wasn't a part of the "old boys club" of FHM-tryhards. On the other hand, we still mostly saw the favorites win with few real upsets and no Cinderella runs or anything like that. The 4 teams in the Conference Finals all finished in the Top-6 in the regular season and of the 8 teams in the Conference Semis, 6 were out of the top-8 with the other two being the #9 and #12 seed, who beat similarly strong teams in the first rounds. We still don't seem to see any upsets and significantly lower seeded teams beating higher seeded ones, so that problems seems to still remain for now.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

CW TRIVIA LINK

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones..

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3233115

Code:
23. Written, 2 TPE, How Are You? (100 words min.)
Instead of asking you about other people this season, I figured I’d ask about you! How are you feeling? Take a couple of minutes to write about what’s going on in your life and how you’re feeling lately. I think taking the time to write things down helps me appreciate or understand them better, so maybe this could help you! Or you can just rant about your cat annoying you for 100 words and collect 2 TPE. I guess that works too.

Everyday I walk the same way home. Streetlight is a mockery. Avenues show their scorn for me. Run a muck on complacency. There's no right path to which I'm shown, I'm cutting loose on society. Well, sort of. I wish i could at times just disappear into the woods for a while and emerge when all of this bullshit is done with. But that's not growth, that's no progression, that's running away from fears and uncertainties. That's not allowing yourself the ability to overcome, to expand your knowledge, to take control of what you allow yourself to be concerned with. All in all, life is insanely stressful, but I'm happy to be apart of the communities I am that have my back.

21. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Boss Fight (150 words min.)
Develop a video game boss fight based off of your team’s branding. Tell me what it looks like, what its strengths are, and most importantly– how you defeat it. ALTERNATIVELY for a graphic task, show me your player fighting the boss you’ve imagined.

In this imaginary video game world that is the Simulation HOckey League, one of the boss lords ends up being a monstrous boss called Phil. I know, Phil doesn't sound that intimidating, but that's because it's his nickname and he wants it to be unassuming what powers he holds and how he can take down most of anyone. You see, Phil stands about 8 feet tall, weighs around 400 pounds, and has about 8 percent body fat on him. Meaning he is big, strong, and full of muscles. He works in a forge all day, is used to dealing with molten steel and raw ore. He can push one of those cauldrons of molten ore across the foundry by himself, with very little protection. You can kind of imagine him like the juggernaut, but even more badass than that. It helps that he spent his formative years in highly regarded scholastic institutions and had an amazing education. So he's big, strong, smart and can crush you with his pinky toe.

20. Written, 3 TPE, From Sim to Shining Sim (150 words min.)
Did you know that not a single SHL or SMJHL team has a city on the opposite side of the world from it? It’s all ocean! Every single one! This is a huge missed opportunity for rivalries! Below is a list of cities that are pretty much exactly on the opposite side of the world from each other, also known as antipodes. Choose two, give me some new expansion team names, and tell me why they’d make a great rivalry! LINK: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/5...ipodes.png

At first I started this prompt and was trying to find places that were sort of close to where the exact points in the ocean could be, but that didn't work. All it happened to be was random locations in the south pacific or indian oceans. All of which more than likely had the same three places that could be considered closest to. So that was annoying. However, based off that list, I think there are a few distinct possiblilites of rivalries that we could have in the Simulation Major Juinor Hockey League. We're going to start with the Mangawhai Moonies of New Zealand and the Rock of Gibraltar Rockies. You see the people who named these two teams had no idea what those places held, only that there were both part of the British Empire and Commonwealth at one point in time. So they naturally have a rivalry only because they hate the british.

Congratulations, procrastinator! Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Did anything stand out to you about this season’s final series?

Well, well, well, well, well. That's five wells, or the amount of times that it took the Los Angeles Panthers to return back to the finals and actually win. Was it five, or four, or three? Who knows, the history department is trash and can't keep track of these types of things. Honestly, good on the Panthers, but good on the Tampa Bay Barracuda too who were the worst team in the leauge less than 10 seasons ago. THat's major props right there to go from zero and fifty to Cup finalists. Does this prove that test simming your life away works? Maybe. Does that make it healthy? Maybe. But also probably not.

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

Task 1 - 3 TPE

Trivia - Verification word = Buck

Task 2a and d - TPE 2

A. Just based on record and stats from S65 I’m taking the Los Angeles Panthers in the Challenge Cup Finals. They were the number one ranked team at the end of the season with Tampa Bay placing fifth, however Tampa did have a better goal differential which may be provide a challenge for the Panthers.

D. I see this as more of a team dedicated to winning it all at any given cost and trying to make their goalies job easier. That can be a good thing but also a bad thing. Good because each player understands what is at stake and is willing to go the extra distance to win. Bad because injuries.

Task 7. Milestones - 3 TPE

Task 20. - 3 TPE

For the SHL expanding to overseas territories as popularity and interest in the league grows Head Office will be looking to expand into Spain and New Zealand. More specifically Madrid, Spain and Weber, New Zealand. Nothing says rivalry more than Spaniards and New Zealanders going toe-to-toe for rights to be called the Best Team Outside of North America. Madrid was selected for it’s rich history and being a 2000 year old city. For Madrid their team name would be The Madrid Madroño (which means Bear). This name is chosen because the bear is on the coat of arms for Madrid and it has some resemblance to “madrileño” which is what the people of Madrid call themselves. The rich history of Madrid and building a team around that identity would be essential in the expansion. As for Weber the are the antipode of Madrid. Weber is a small community that would see growth with the introduction of an SHL team to the area. For Weber their team name would be the Weber Wallabies. I couldn’t find much researching facts about Weber so I just went with something that sounded interesting and funny.

Task 21 - 3 TPE

Realistically I could (and will) create two video game bosses as both the Minnesota Monarchs and New Foundland Berserkers could be incorporated into a video game as bosses. This video game would be a 2D side scroller incorporating themes from all the SHL and SMJHL teams. For the Monarchs the vision is The King of the Kingdom you must defeat in order to save the land from something. The Monarch as he would be called would have ghostly white/pale skin wearing his royal purple and green robes with a golden crown encrusted with jewels sitting upon his head. His weapon would be his gold scepter with a purple jewel at the top. His physical attacks would be shoulder checking to hit the hero into the boards or side of the castle along with the typical punches and kicks a boss would have. He would also use his scepter to unleash a beam of butterflies. He is a difficult boss to defeat as he is the final boss in the game. Using distant attacks and knowing how to effectively dodge his beam are keys to defeating him. For the Berserker, that’s what he’d be called, would be a muscly woodsman covered in animal pelts. A strong physical presence to be feared with his two axes he uses to chop and throw at the player. The key again is using distance to defeat this boss.

Task 23 - 2 TPE

I’m doing alright, been better though. The months of May and June have been very chaotic. The beginning of May saw me taking my wife to emergency a few times, so that was dope. Just a few weeks later on the way to my cousins wedding the transmission in my car gave out and had to get the replaced which was not cheap. Add on more car complications for my car and my wife’s car recently has just been great. Other than that life has been pretty chill, some things beginning to look up and will hopefully turn around mine and my wife’s luck and misfortune. I also get to go to a concert in August which I haven’t done since before Covid.

Total TPE = 16 TPE

[Image: keithley.png]
[Image: mcalister.png]

cw pass

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

(This post was last modified: 06-28-2022, 02:30 PM by JuOSu.)

PBE PT +3 TPE

CW Trivia password: sloth

+3 TPE

Milestones +2 TPE

5. Written, 3 TPE, Mysterious Person 150 words min
I can just make someone up? Well the person I want to talk about is the founder of the SHL. It is a guy by the name of Esse Tschell. You know, Esse, like the famous wrestler from the 90s, Esse Rios. And Tschell like that girl from Portal. Esse Tschell. That's why he named the league like he did. Many people think it is named after simulation hockey, but in reality it is just what his name sounds like. Who knew, right? He was a really cool person and came up with this idea after smoking too much weed and then he created this league. Like many people do, he then immediately went inactive and forgot all about it, never to be seen again. Many people think he came back and created a player again but that's a lie. He has literally never thought about the SHL ever again and just lives his miserable life without being a nerd.

6. Written, 3 TPE, New Stat (150 words min.)
I think a cool stat to add would be a sim league expertise stat. We all love these leagues but maybe you could be even better if you know the deal. Oh you are in several leagues and earn like 4 times as much TPE elsewhere? Why not get some bonus for that here too. I mean we have TPE sharing, why not also literally make it a stat. It would make recreated rookies much better than new ones, which I guess isn't exactly ideal but it would kinda be interesting to see how this would affect things. It kinda reminds me of like a clutch rating, which could be an interesting addition by itself too. I guess it would make you better in the playoffs, which is probably a good idea for those that want to win titles anyway. I guess it is also similar to a luck stat. I think we used to have that in SCOR.

I am good, honestly. For the most part. Things have been a little stressful lately but I think it is kinda calming down a bit. Mental health still isn't great, but improving. Therapy is awesome for that. I still work from home so I have lots of time for these leagues and just got to take over the co-GM role in this league for my team. It's kinda special to me. I am kinda nervous how I will do but really excited to tackle a big project like that. I hope that it will be a successful journey. I also hope my contract at work gets extended at the end of the year.

That should be +16!

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]

Code:

Camel

+3 TPE

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3232781

+3 TPE

Code:
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Did anything stand out to you about this season’s final series?

LAP won! I'm not even mad that ATL didn't make it back to the finals again, because I do love seeing teams who haven't seen the spotlight too much finally getting it. I will say, all due respect to Tampa, but I am very surprised that they made it to the finals. I don't mean to dig at them or anything, but ATL has (for the most part, obviously not this postseason) had Tampa's number and come out on top majority of the time. To see them beat us in ATL as well as BUF in the Eastern finals was definitely unexpected for me.
WC - 104

+2 TPE

Code:
20. Written, 3 TPE, From Sim to Shining Sim (150 words min.)
Did you know that not a single SHL or SMJHL team has a city on the opposite side of the world from it? It’s all ocean! Every single one! This is a huge missed opportunity for rivalries! Below is a list of cities that are pretty much exactly on the opposite side of the world from each other, also known as antipodes. Choose two, give me some new expansion team names, and tell me why they’d make a great rivalry!

For my next great SHL rivalry, I would have to go with Hong Kong and La Quiaca. For Hong Kong, I'm thinking something traditional, such as the Dragons, but the Pandas would also be a great one as well. It's a tough call, but I think I would have to go with the dragons here solely because the traditional Chinese-style dragons have always been a favorite of mine. For La Quiaca, I would elect the caoti. These guys are native to South America and look like a blend between lemurs, racoons, foxes, and god knows what else. They're not very fearsome creatures, but they are adorable and have a very unique look to them that could make for some good jersey designs. Regional mascots for La Quiaca are slim pickings as the town is extremely small (especially in comparison to Hong Kong), but this would certainly be an interesting rivalry to keep an eye on.
WC - 155

+3 TPE

Code:
21. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Boss Fight (150 words min.)
Develop a video game boss fight based off of your team’s branding. Tell me what it looks like, what its strengths are, and most importantly– how you defeat it. ALTERNATIVELY for a graphic task, show me your player fighting the boss you’ve imagined.

In my favorite game, Final Fantasy XIV, which has a free trial with no time limit, allowing you to play through the entire base game and first award-winning expansion, Heavensward, actually has an Inferno-like phoenix bird as one of the raid bosses. It's actually called Phoinix (leave it up to Square to pick the most original name they could). It's an absolute pain in the ass, but a fun one nonetheless. Many bosses in MMO games like Final Fantasy XIV rely heavily on avoiding AOE damage bombs, and this one is no exception. It rains down fire non-stop, giving you minimal time to react and move out of the way, lest you die instantly and are at the mercy of the healer not losing their cool on rezing you for the 5th time in a single run. At one point it even spawns mini-versions of itself which cause even MORE AOEs to dodge, along with the need to take them down as fast as possible to prevent an un-blockable party-wiping explosion to go off.
WC - 174

+3 TPE

Code:
Instead of asking you about other people this season, I figured I’d ask about you! How are you feeling? Take a couple of minutes to write about what’s going on in your life and how you’re feeling lately. I think taking the time to write things down helps me appreciate or understand them better, so maybe this could help you! Or you can just rant about your cat annoying you for 100 words and collect 2 TPE. I guess that works too.

Thank you for asking Smile Life has been going pretty good for me, all things considered. My wife and I both just got promotions so are making a lot more than we did. The new work comes with a lot more responsibility so I'm feeling much more drained after an 8 hour day, but it all seems worth it come payday. It's my birthday in just a couple days as well! I'm going to the beach and I'm finally going to be upgrading my tv to a 4K (I've been stuck on 1080p for so many years) and am pretty excited for that.
WC - 102

+2 TPE

[Image: lPQWyve.png?ex=662bf46d&is=66197f6d&hm=a...dd3527ca4&]
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2022, 07:59 PM by Ohtaay. Edited 2 times in total.)

Code:

3 - TPE
Oats

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. An LAP team that was disappointed in a S63 finals loss is back again to face a TBB team that has been hungry for their chance in the entire FHM era. Who are you taking as a winner and why?
b. Tampa Bay’s top forwards have been absolute power houses on this run, totalling 102 points across their top 6. If you’re LA, how do you line-match against two lines that are on an absolute tear?
c. L.A.’s D pair of Kierkegaard and Kahnwald are maintaining a shocking 2 more GF/60 than GA/60, despite playing more than 21 minutes a game including PK time. If you’re Tampa Bay how do you get around these two? Hope to outlast them in endurance, or look to more depth scoring?
d. TBB’s roster has racked up many more shot blocks (294) than LAP has (188). Do you see this as a good thing? Is this an iron willed team that’s willing to lay down their bodies to get the job done, or do you think it paints a picture of a team that can’t maintain possession and has to find another way to keep the puck out. Maybe a bit of both?

4 TPE
A) Being on a Texas team that was an underdog, I always like to side with the under dog team. However, LAP is a very strong team, and might be one of the strongest favorites in the playoffs in the last handful of seasons. With this in mind, I will have to side with LAP winning. 55 Words
B) I think when looking at that stat it is a little skewed. TBB has had an easier route to the Finals then LAP has had, this has allowed them to light up, and run up the points for their forward. I think LAP just needs to play their own game, as they have proven to be a strong defensive team. 60 Words
C) As mentioned above, LAP defensive game has been very strong. For TBB to take advantage they will need to rely on their forward depth, and used the other 39 minutes in the game to their advantage and try to score when those two are not on the ice. If they cannot do this, LAP will shut them out. 58 Words
D) I think it is a little bit of both, the coaches have made their team play a one for all game, and making sure they block shots. But at the same time you can't block lots of shots unless your team is giving up a lot of shots. I think TBB will have to watch how many shots they give up if they want to be effective. 67 Words

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Do You Touch It? (150 words min.)
In the NHL there’s a well known superstition that any team that touches their conference championship trophy won’t win the Stanley Cup. Are there any superstitions like that in the SHL playoffs? If so, what are they? Where do they come from? Does your team or your player believe in them? Why or why not?

3 TPE

I think that NHL superstition has definitely lighted up as teams have been touching the trophy if I can recall correctly. I know personally Kondos does not believe in that superstition. If anything I think it helps channel the feeling you want for the cup. The two superstition that I believe in is calling a shut out before it happens. Let me be honest, that one comes to bite everyone. Keep your mouth shut, don't think about it and maybe your team will get the shut out. My other superstition is saying you are going to win a series before you actually win the series. I feel like this is another bad mojo one, you are basically asking to jinx yourself. Stay focused, don't talk about winning and take it game by game. No one ones to be blamed for going against someone's superstition. Other then that, not many superstitions for me, or for the chicago team.
157 Words

Code:
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.
+3 TPE - Milestones

Code:
15. Written, 3 TPE, IIAM Excited for IIHF (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! We’ve had some federation shake-up this season that will surely lead to some interesting results. So who do you got? Who’s going to take it all this season and why?

3 TPE

I would have to disagree with your statement, I don't think there will be much change. IIHF has always been the one where the rich get richer. Smaller nations struggle as they do not get new recruits, while bigger nations just sit there and wait for new players to sign up. This is why I don't think we will see much change from the top nations. Canada will always be a strong nation, Finland is another strong team, in which you can throw Sweden in there with them as well. The one nation that has kind of struggled is the USA, however that is a GM thing - as the roster still gets are good influx of new skaters but is much more likely to move up and down the IIHF rankings. The one nation which is an outlier is Japan, as they are often a strong team as well. But as we've seen many teams are facing GM issues, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.
170 words

16 TOTAL TPE

[Image: Oats.gif]

[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

CW Pass

[Image: AgentSmith630.gif]
Thanks to @sulovilen, @the5urreal, and @sve7en for the sigs!
[Image: mf7ERAf.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2022, 10:16 PM by awils13. Edited 9 times in total.)

Code:

awls

Code:

a. This is certainly a finals matchup that is difficult to predict but I'm able to predict the future, either that or I'm writing this after the finals have ended, but either way, I think Los Angeles Panthers will take a 3-0 series lead, then Tampa will win 2 games, and LAP will close out the series in game 6.
b. Tampa's top 6 has been very impressive on this run, and I don't think you are going to be very successful in stopping them either way, so I would match up LAP's bottom 6 forwards against them, so their own top 6 isn't exhausted from trying to play defense, and hope that they are able to outscore them.
c. Sometimes players have great chemistry between them and get hot at the right time, which seems to be the case for LAP's defensive pairing of Kierkegaard and Kahnwald, so I think they're going to shut down whatever lines you throw at them, so if I'm TBB's coach, I'm matching my 4th and 3rd lines against them.
d. I think having a large amount of shot blocks is never a good sign, because good teams and good defensemen prevent situations when you have to block a shot or it's a shot on goal, so just based on this stat I think LAP is favored to win this series, TBB certainly need to maintain possession better if they want to win.

Code:

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3233330

Code:
13. Graphic, 1 TPE, DALL-E? More like WINN-ING!
Since the ring task was unbelievably easy, I thought I’d try out another insanely easy graphics task. Try using OpenAI’s DALL E Mini to generate a Challenge Cup related image. It could be a championship ring, your player lifting the cup, a locker room celebration. Go nuts as long as you’re attempting to make it SHL related! The results will be weird, but it’s fun!  
LINK: https://huggingface.co/spaces/dalle-mini/dalle-mini

[Image: unknown.png]

Code:
22. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Gone Viral (150 words min.)
Your player unexpectedly has a video go viral on social media. Why? Does it make your player look good? Does it make them look bad? What happened and why was someone filming you to begin with? ALTERNATIVELY for a graphic task, show me your player being filmed in their viral moment.

Aaron Wilson was mostly an unkown player before the smjhl draft and many experts predicted that he would go undrafted, however, the Vancouver Whalers decided to give him a chance and drafted young Aaron in the 4th round. His draft stock rose quickly following a solid rookie campaign, and he was now projected to be a mid-first round pick in the shl draft, with some pundits projecting him as high as the top 5. However, just hours before the draft, Aaron's twitter account was hacked and an incriminating video was posted from his account. In this video, Aaron Wilson appeared to be snorting a white powdery substance that resembled cocaine in a public bathroom. The video went viral on twitter immediately, and Aaron's draft stock was in a free fall, with many teams reportedly taking him off their board entirely. Years later, when asked about it in an interview, Aaron admitted that it was him and that it was the only time he tried drugs, the video was filmed by then vancouver gm Arnost Holub, who stole Aaron's phone and posted it on draft night because Holub hoped that Wilson would go undrafted in the shl and spend all 5 seasons of his smjhl eligibility with Vancouver.

https://twitter.com/aaronwil13/status/11...6203322370
[Image: qVcUXSs.jpg]

Code:

This year has been kinda difficult for my personal life, I recently got out of a very abusive, manipulative and toxic relationship, and even though I know it was the right thing to do and that I should've done it sooner, it still hurts a lot and I'm struggling to cope with it. At first I tried to drown my sorrows but now I know that's not a good idea, because I usually unblock her when drunk and have to stop myself at the last moment from calling her. At least work is good, startup I'm working for published a major update last month, and so I'm trying to focus on work.

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2022, 11:26 PM by NJBadApple.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max
DONE; Verification: applepie

2. Written, 2 TPE - Grab Bag
b. Going up against a high octane offense is sort of a lose-lose scenario; I believe if you lay down hard with defense, you end up pinned in your own zone and held back at the lines.  To counter a team that is so effective on the offense, you have to exploit the defensive weakness and match their offensive output.

d. Well I think if you're looking in the short-term, then yea it could indicate that the defensive structure as a whole has a problem.  However, TBB has been trouncing opponents all season long, so clearly whatever they are doing is working.  I don't see this as an issue for them moving forward at all.

Code:
Words: 50+, 50+

3. Written, 3 TPE, Four Star (150 words min.)
The argument for the stars standing for the four divisions of the SMJHL is a great point and has a solid foundation, but I believe it could also represent the four different stages that a player goes through in their career.  The first one being "Prospect"; where you are just about to be drafted to your first team, or having that just happen, and starting that transition to professional hockey.  The second stage being "Professional", where you grow into that role of a full-time player, and start becoming a regular on the ice and even providing advice and mentorship to the younger players.  "Superstar" is the next stage, where you catapault into one of the best and most respected players in the league.  Maybe not the best stats, in particular, but your name has been around.  And finally, "Regression" is the last stage, where your experience carries you towards retirement as your skills start to ware off from old age.

Code:
Words: 150+

I think there's a lot of room for creativity when it comes to adding more character traits into the sim engine, both serious and funny ones.  The first one I would add would be something called 'Clutch Factor'.  It's pretty self-explanatory, but it would be someone's ability to deliver in high-stakes situations (overtime, rivalries, elimination games, etc.) and as a player delivered in those scenarios, their 'Clutch Factor' would increase, making them more valuable in those situations.  You could also add like a 'Legacy Score' so players don't have to manually keep track of what awards they win over a career.  Lastly I would add a trait like 'Illness Prone', so players have the ability to have to fight off sickness or injury.  Players could put TPE here to avoid being injured or sick all the time, and not having to miss games because of it.  It might irritate a lot of users, but it would be something different.

Code:
Words: 150+

Claiming +3

This is a pretty cool idea.  I think everything is going just fine in my life overall.  I have a two-year old running around all the time and I work a full time job, so there isn't much room for any activities outside of that.  I've been trying to convince my wife to let me buy a new car for almost two years now to no avail.  Gas prices are so ridiculous right now, and I drive a smaller car already so maybe she has a point.  Otherwise my life is pretty bland and repetitive at the moment; we prefer to live like that though, if you're busy then typically something is wrong anyway.

Code:
Words: 100+

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

LARGEST PUNISHMENT IN SHL HISTORY

1.  CW Trivia
Verification word: verification
7. Milestones
+1 TPE for Milestones

[Image: qWestSHL.gif]
[Image: cEbgUph.png][Image: pPWkZOM.png][Image: Voi7GNj.png][Image: h2OFdMh.png]

GM PASS

[Image: lespoils.gif]

Code:

The origins of this superstition are a bit murky, but it’s believed to date back to the early days of the NHL when the Stanley Cup was first introduced. The theory is that touching the conference trophy is a jinx that will prevent a team from winning the ultimate prize.

Whether or not this superstition is actually true is up for debate, but there’s no doubt that many players and teams believe in it. For some, it’s a matter of superstition and they don’t want to risk jinxing their team. Others believe that there’s some truth to the superstition and that touching the conference trophy can actually have an impact on a team’s chances of winning the Stanley Cup.

Whatever the case may be, it’s definitely something that players and teams take seriously. If your team is in the playoffs, you can be sure that they won’t be touching any conference trophies!

Code:

I predict that the Swiss team will do very well this year. Anton Mihailov is a great leader and his vision and gameplay are top notch. He has the ability to see the ice very well and make great plays. He is also a great skater and has a great shot. He will be a big help to the Swiss team in their quest for glory. Luukas Lilja and Fred Wanesly are also great players and they will be important to the Swiss team. They are both great skaters and have great vision. They will be a big help to the Swiss team in their quest for glory.

I expect Canada and USA to do well at the tournament. Canada has a lot of talent and they always seem to find a way to win. USA has a lot of talent as well and they always seem to find a way to win. I think that both Canada and USA will be in the mix for the gold medal.

Code:
16. Written, 2 TPE, Just Like Back Home (100 words min.)

I'm from Finland, so I'll choose the Finnish dish called "Korvapuusti". It's a type of cinnamon roll, and it's really popular in Finland. My player doesn't make it, but his family does. It's special to me because it's a traditional Finnish dish. It's really sweet and soft, and it's usually served with coffee or tea. It will make you feel full for a long time. My player makes Karelian pasties and Finnish meatballs, and my family makes Finnish salmon soup. All of these dishes are special to me because they remind me of my family and my home country. I'm proud of it.

Code:
17. Written, 3 TPE, A Few Of Your Favourite Things (150 words min.)

There are many things to love about Vatican City! For starters, it is the smallest country in the world, and is located entirely within the city of Rome in Italy. Vatican City is also the home of the Catholic Church and the Pope, making it a very holy and significant place for Catholics all over the world.

Some of the most popular tourist attractions in Vatican City include St. Peter's Basilica, the Sistine Chapel, and the Vatican Museums. These are all incredibly beautiful and awe-inspiring places to visit, and offer a wealth of history and art to take in.

The food in Vatican City is also excellent, with many traditional Italian dishes on offer. The city is also home to some of the best gelato in the world!

In terms of history, Vatican City has a long and fascinating story. It was founded in the year 326 by Emperor Constantine, and has since been the site of many important events in the history of the Catholic Church.

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA

nashy

Code:
Milestones

S65 Milestones

17/16 TPE to A. Mihailov

[Image: sig-500500.png][Image: ALFaRJc.gif]

[Image: lIYTYDN.png][Image: tCcIWQC.png]

[Image: seal1.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2022, 05:02 PM by kenvald. Edited 4 times in total.)

Code:
trivial

Code:
I'm putting my money on the Los Angeles Panthers. Less because of the players on the team, more because of the team management. They've shown that they've started to figure out the FHM engine and I feel like they now are on the same level as our perennial contenders from the past.

Code:
Los Angeles doesn't have to be too afraid of the Tampa Bay forwards. While Tampa has been pouring in goals, Los Angeles already has the defense to withhold much of Tampa's pressure. If they just keep up the way they have, no major changes in lines or tactics, I see that they will be able to shut Tampa down.

Code:
Ultimately it would come down to line matching. If you play against two super stars like Kierkegaard and Kahnwald the only way to win is to not play. Which means if you see those two out on the ice you mostly move the puck around in an attempt to tire them out, and as soon as they go for a change that's when you push forward.

Code:
I haven't watched the games closely enough to say if it's because of player sacrifice or poor defensive zone management. It can really go both ways. But ultimately my view on it is that if you need to block shot after shot after shot, then it's most likely something on the defensive side of things that needs to get looked at.

Code:
I work for the FHM dev team and I’m giving you, sweet user, the ability to add any stat you want to our player build system. Footwork? Sure! Stink level? Why not! Stomach capacity? Ok… I guess so! Tell me what stat you want to add, and how you imagine it’ll affect the sim.
The new attribute will be called Mischievousness. And as you might imagine, the main way this affects the game is how well this player can throw off players on the other team. Think of it as an attribute that works similarly to the Agitator role. During the game whenever a player with high Mischievousness in any way interacts with an opponent, the opponent's Temperament goes down and Aggression goes up. As it accumulates throughout the game opponent players become more and more likely to take penalties or make non-optimal decisions.

This would also work on goalies and not only skaters. If this player spends time in front of the opponent net they will try to annoy the goalie as much as possible within what's allowed. When successful it will lower the goalie's Mental Toughness and any future goals scored against this goalie will take a bigger chunk out of the same Mental Toughness than usual.

Code:
+3

Code:
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! We’ve had some federation shake-up this season that will surely lead to some interesting results. So who do you got? Who’s going to take it all this season and why?
Sweden is finally gonna take it all! I can feel that this is the year! For many seasons now we have had a great squad that is highly skilled. And nothing has changed this time around. We might even have the most TPE among all nations. At the very least we have to be top-3 by now. I'm just gonna write that as a fact and not look it up.

Personally, Yxskaft has never done very well during international tournaments so I don't expect much this time around either. But we have other great names such as Sven Svenson, Henrik Lekberg Osterman, and Calvin Hobbes that I believe will carry Sweden to greatness and finally have us wrap the gold medal around our necks.

We also definitely have the management and coaching on our side. What's truly against us is the 1-game elimination series. Everyone can have a bad day every once in a while, and the problem is with this kind of system it doesn't always allow the best team to move forward.

[Image: sBUQCq8.png]

Past Players

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2022, 03:07 PM by thiefofcheese. Edited 2 times in total.)

Code:

CW TRIVIA LINK

cheese

+3 TPE

Code:
In the NHL there’s a well known superstition that any team that touches their conference championship trophy won’t win the Stanley Cup. Are there any superstitions like that in the SHL playoffs? If so, what are they? Where do they come from? Does your team or your player believe in them? Why or why not?

Not only will I touch it, I would carry it around with me everywhere I went. I am not superstitious at all and if no one else wants to deal with it I will happily take that burden from the team. I would place that thing directly on my dining room table and introduce people to it when the walk in the door. "Hey guys! Welcome to my place. Oh that? That's just the conference championship trophy. You know we won the conference right?" While I get that all sports have a mental aspect to it, I do not think that we will win or lose by touching a trophy. I also wash my socks and gloves so suck it guys! Though I do support the rally beard. Not for superstition, but more tradition and the pics that the winning team has with the cup being all shaggy looks completely badass.

+3 TPE

Code:
I work for the FHM dev team and I’m giving you, sweet user, the ability to add any stat you want to our player build system. Footwork? Sure! Stink level? Why not! Stomach capacity? Ok… I guess so! Tell me what stat you want to add, and how you imagine it’ll affect the sim.

Heart! We should add a heart stat to the sim. We all know of those players that may not be the most talented on the ice, but they play 120% all the time and can be a huge motivator to the team. Think of Rudy! By being able to just grit things out and dig deep for the win you'll find that opportunities arise and you can get things done. While this would be good across all lines (who would not want everyone on the ice to be at 120% all the time?) it really would help those 4th liners play their part and grow into higher lines. All hockey players are tough, but some just do not always put in all the work necessary to get where they need to be. Put me in coach, I can show you how hard work will pay off and offset some natural talent that I do not have. Give me heart and keep your other stats

+3 TPE

Code:

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3233157

+3 tpe

Code:
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Did anything stand out to you about this season’s final series?

So I'm only partially procrastinating here.  The SHL finals are over but the SMJHL finals are still going strong.  As a player on DET I'm clearly biased, but it was to be a good matchup between DET and NL.  Going in I was confident we would win, but did not expect a sweep.  Game 1 goes to DET then Game 2 to NL.  1-1, still a lot of time left.  Then the next day NL comes up with 2 more wins putting them up in the series 3-1.  What kind of FHM world is this?  We still have a chance to take 3 in a row and win it, but I know I did not expect to be down 3-1 and dont think many others did either.

+2 TPE

Code:

I am tired!  But that is probably my sleep apnea kicking in.  But otherwise things are going pretty well in the world of the cheese.  Things have kind of stabilized a bit and we are getting accustom to the new normal around here.  Every day is an adventure, but now that we are into summer we are looking forward to some quality pool time and getting some things done around the house.  Summer camps are kind of a pain in the ass now though because they are not doing before or after care so it is a 9 am drop off with a 4 pm pick up and that makes work a bit tough.  But let's be honest, it is really just impacting my SHL time.  I actually need to leave in 3 minutes to go do a pick up.

+2 TPE

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King