Create Account

Carpet 1k press conference
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2023, 02:34 AM by Carpy48. Edited 4 times in total.)

We're finally here.

Harry Carpet has now officially played more than 1,000 SHL games - all of them for Toronto. The first game was played in season 47 as a young call-up from the SMJHL and the last game just now in season 69, his retirement season. There will probably be a few more games added to the total, but let's look at this big milestone - at least for a goalie - now. No other goalie has managed to play this many games, especially not for one single team. A cup is now out of reach for good, old Carpet, but breaking records can be a nice thing too.

Stars  Stars  Stars

Press conference (a.k.a. party) is open. 
Ask questions if you like.

Interview

Oh and I almost forgot: today is also my 4th SHL anniversary if you want to ask anything about that. 

Greetings to my quintuplets btw @hotdog, @SDCore, @bbjygm and @Julio Tokolosh.

02-15-2023, 02:59 AM_Blitz_ Wrote: Congratulations, Carpy!

Are you looking for the same kind of locked-in home for Shaggy, or are you more inclined toward wanderlust this time around?

Thank you!
That's difficult to answer, because you never know how things will develop in the future. I think I'll go with what feels best for me. Sorry if that wasn't a real answer.

02-15-2023, 02:59 AM_Blitz_ Wrote: As I recall, you've been moving away from drinking a lot of coffee toward tea. Do you have a favorite tea?

I still drink coffee, don't know where that info comes from. At least in the morning. Tea is more like an afternoon/evening thing for me. And no, I don't have a favorite, it varies. Mostly green tea though.

02-15-2023, 02:59 AM_Blitz_ Wrote: What is your favorite recipe/dish that's been posted in the Toronto LR?

I still have to try out the blueberry cake (or whatever it was) from roastpuff. Looked great.

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: Oh man, so many questions.

More questions, more answers, more media money for me? Thank you for filling my bank account I guess :D

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: Did you think you’d get Harry to this point?

No. Well, mostly during the last few seasons while I was heavily fighting regression I thought I could maaaaybe get there, but I had really hoped to get a cup instead and ignore all the goalie records. They were only my plan B in case the cup wouldn't happen. It's not really the same, but I'm still a little proud of myself to get this far.

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: As a goalie did you like STHS or FHM better?

STHS gave you more opportunities to be good and actually win something. It didn't depend so much on whether your GM knew how to use FHM properly, because as a regular user, and especially as one playing a goalie, you have so little influence in your player's performance. You just update and hope for the best, but if your team's GM doesn't know what they're doing there isn't much you can do. In that sense I liked STHS's randomness I think. And we all know how little difference a goalie makes.

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: What was your favorite and least favorite moments as THE goalie in Toronto?

In the beginning it was great that I could immediately get the starter job in S49 without anyone blocking it, because I knew something like this wasn't guaranteed. It made you feel a little special. On top of that I was the first player drafted who started the full rebuild from a pretty much inactive team and it made me grow into a leadership role. I think that was partly the reason why I'm so loyal to the team. It never would've worked if you didn't have at least one person who would stay there the whole time and hold the place together. My favorite moment in general was still the S58 playoffs and I think everyone who was part of that team that season will agree with me. That was the highlight and probably the team's peak in the last 20 seasons. Least favorite...that's pretty much every time things fell apart. Several management changes, people leaving via trades, coming in via trades, leaving again and a lot of uncertainty, but no proper rebuild that we're trying again now. And of course the frustration (or powerlessness) we all felt during the Great Lakes-era when we had zero chance of getting anywhere.

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: How do you feel about the age old argument of “goalies don’t matter”?

I don't care? For me it's the only hockey position I'm interested in so I'll continue playing as one. It probably works better for people that put the team first and don't care so much about their own player's performance. I mean individual awards are nice, everyone certainly agrees, but I wouldn't drop everything and retire my player just because the numbers say I'm bad for a few seasons.

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: What advice would you give new creates or people thinking of recreating as a goalie (in general and FHM build based)?

Don't do it if you don't have patience. When I created they told us there were too many goalies and we should pick a different position. Some of us did it. In the end there were 3 goalies in the draft, but I was the only one who had enough patience to get anywhere and now even to 1000 games. I don't think it's suitable for everyone, especially now with FHM. But even if there are lots of other goalies, many people will go IA or drop their player (or switch to skater which is another option now) so if you just stick around long enough you will eventually get somewhere.

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: Are you looking to have Rhett to have a similar career with one team?

I have no idea. I didn't plan to have one player for four years (today exactly btw!). This time I'm not making any plans. Definitely no plans to max earn. No pressure on myself.

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: How does it feel to actually have 1k games as a goalie?

Exhausting. Technically it's only 1k SHL games, there were more if you count the J and all international games (and the handful of playoff games). It's weird that nobody was crazy enough to do this before me.

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: Would you have done anything different in Harry’s career knowing things you know now?

Possibly. I sometimes feel like I wasted so much time being on a bad team while other goalies come into the league, end up on a good team immediately and collect cup after cup. I always tell myself that it's still a cool story  to play this long for one team. People will remember you more I think.

02-15-2023, 08:32 AMHenrik Wrote: 1k games as a goalie is such an insane feat. Congratulations man!

Thank you! Now I'm definitely ready to retire this guy.

02-15-2023, 10:38 AMMatteo Wrote: Congrats Carpy! Reaching a thousand games played as a goalie is an unbelievable achievement.

Thank you!

02-15-2023, 10:38 AMMatteo Wrote: When you first got started did you think you would be breaking all the records? Is Shaggy going to try to break the records set by his father?

Breaking records wasn't even on my radar back then, I only found out much later that something like this was being tracked. That idea probably came into my mind once I was the first goalie who had gotten to 2k TPE. Back then 2k TPE was still something special, but even then I was surprised no goalies had stayed around that long.

I don't plan to break these records. I'm still on the hunt for a cup though.

02-15-2023, 04:53 PMKlusteR Wrote: Harry Carpet has left an undeniable footprint in the history of the SHL. If there was only one aspect of his legacy - may it be on or off the ice - that was to endure through the ages, and looked back on in a future "century" celebration of the league, which one would it be?

That's not an easy question. I wish I could say that you can achieve anything with your player by just believing in it and had I won a cup with Harry that would've been proof for it, but sadly that never happened even though I never actually gave up hope. On the IIHF side however, it looked a lot better. So instead maybe something like that goalie longevity is indeed possible if you really, really want it and work for it? It's more and more difficult, but I'm certain someone will break my records one day. The league's systems change over time and given how many different systems and eras I've been through with just one player (STHS, FHM6, FHM8, 50 game-era, 66 game-era, not to mention the 350 TPE cap in the J which no longer exists) something will change in the future again that will make it easier to break old records.

ready for grading

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Congratulations, Carpy!

Are you looking for the same kind of locked-in home for Shaggy, or are you more inclined toward wanderlust this time around?

As I recall, you've been moving away from drinking a lot of coffee toward tea. Do you have a favorite tea?

What is your favorite recipe/dish that's been posted in the Toronto LR?

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

Oh man, so many questions.

Did you think you’d get Harry to this point?
As a goalie did you like STHS or FHM better?
What was your favorite and least favorite moments as THE goalie in Toronto?
How do you feel about the age old argument of “goalies don’t matter”?
What advice would you give new creates or people thinking of recreating as a goalie (in general and FHM build based)?
Are you looking to have Rhett to have a similar career with one team?
How does it feel to actually have 1k games as a goalie?
Would you have done anything different in Harry’s career knowing things you know now?

1k games as a goalie is such an insane feat. Congratulations man!

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Congrats Carpy! Reaching a thousand games played as a goalie is an unbelievable achievement.

When you first got started did you think you would be breaking all the records? Is Shaggy going to try to break the records set by his father?

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

02-15-2023, 02:59 AM_Blitz_ Wrote: Congratulations, Carpy!

Thank you!
That's difficult to answer, because you never know how things will develop in the future. I think I'll go with what feels best for me. Sorry if that wasn't a real answer.

02-15-2023, 02:59 AM_Blitz_ Wrote: As I recall, you've been moving away from drinking a lot of coffee toward tea. Do you have a favorite tea?

I still drink coffee, don't know where that info comes from. At least in the morning. Tea is more like an afternoon/evening thing for me. And no, I don't have a favorite, it varies. Mostly green tea though.

02-15-2023, 02:59 AM_Blitz_ Wrote: What is your favorite recipe/dish that's been posted in the Toronto LR?

I still have to try out the blueberry cake (or whatever it was) from roastpuff. Looked great.

sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: Oh man, so many questions.

More questions, more answers, more media money for me? Thank you for filling my bank account I guess :D

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: Did you think you’d get Harry to this point?

No. Well, mostly during the last few seasons while I was heavily fighting regression I thought I could maaaaybe get there, but I had really hoped to get a cup instead and ignore all the goalie records. They were only my plan B in case the cup wouldn't happen. It's not really the same, but I'm still a little proud of myself to get this far.

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: As a goalie did you like STHS or FHM better?

STHS gave you more opportunities to be good and actually win something. It didn't depend so much on whether your GM knew how to use FHM properly, because as a regular user, and especially as one playing a goalie, you have so little influence in your player's performance. You just update and hope for the best, but if your team's GM doesn't know what they're doing there isn't much you can do. In that sense I liked STHS's randomness I think. And we all know how little difference a goalie makes.

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: What was your favorite and least favorite moments as THE goalie in Toronto?

In the beginning it was great that I could immediately get the starter job in S49 without anyone blocking it, because I knew something like this wasn't guaranteed. It made you feel a little special. On top of that I was the first player drafted who started the full rebuild from a pretty much inactive team and it made me grow into a leadership role. I think that was partly the reason why I'm so loyal to the team. It never would've worked if you didn't have at least one person who would stay there the whole time and hold the place together. My favorite moment in general was still the S58 playoffs and I think everyone who was part of that team that season will agree with me. That was the highlight and probably the team's peak in the last 20 seasons. Least favorite...that's pretty much every time things fell apart. Several management changes, people leaving via trades, coming in via trades, leaving again and a lot of uncertainty, but no proper rebuild that we're trying again now. And of course the frustration (or powerlessness) we all felt during the Great Lakes-era when we had zero chance of getting anywhere.

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: How do you feel about the age old argument of “goalies don’t matter”?

I don't care? For me it's the only hockey position I'm interested in so I'll continue playing as one. It probably works better for people that put the team first and don't care so much about their own player's performance. I mean individual awards are nice, everyone certainly agrees, but I wouldn't drop everything and retire my player just because the numbers say I'm bad for a few seasons.

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: What advice would you give new creates or people thinking of recreating as a goalie (in general and FHM build based)?

Don't do it if you don't have patience. When I created they told us there were too many goalies and we should pick a different position. Some of us did it. In the end there were 3 goalies in the draft, but I was the only one who had enough patience to get anywhere and now even to 1000 games. I don't think it's suitable for everyone, especially now with FHM. But even if there are lots of other goalies, many people will go IA or drop their player (or switch to skater which is another option now) so if you just stick around long enough you will eventually get somewhere.

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: Are you looking to have Rhett to have a similar career with one team?

I have no idea. I didn't plan to have one player for four years (today exactly btw!). This time I'm not making any plans. Definitely no plans to max earn. No pressure on myself.

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: How does it feel to actually have 1k games as a goalie?

Exhausting. Technically it's only 1k SHL games, there were more if you count the J and all international games (and the handful of playoff games). It's weird that nobody was crazy enough to do this before me.

02-15-2023, 08:12 AMChevy Wrote: Would you have done anything different in Harry’s career knowing things you know now?

Possibly. I sometimes feel like I wasted so much time being on a bad team while other goalies come into the league, end up on a good team immediately and collect cup after cup. I always tell myself that it's still a cool story  to play this long for one team. People will remember you more I think.

Stars Lions Berserkers

02-15-2023, 10:38 AMMatteo Wrote: Congrats Carpy! Reaching a thousand games played as a goalie is an unbelievable achievement.

Thank you!

02-15-2023, 10:38 AMMatteo Wrote: When you first got started did you think you would be breaking all the records? Is Shaggy going to try to break the records set by his father?

Breaking records wasn't even on my radar back then, I only found out much later that something like this was being tracked. That idea probably came into my mind once I was the first goalie who had gotten to 2k TPE. Back then 2k TPE was still something special, but even then I was surprised no goalies had stayed around that long.

I don't plan to break these records. I'm still on the hunt for a cup though.

Stars Lions Berserkers

02-15-2023, 08:32 AMHenrik Wrote: 1k games as a goalie is such an insane feat. Congratulations man!

Thank you! Now I'm definitely ready to retire this guy.

Stars Lions Berserkers

I was able to get Markus's thoughts from his cabin all the way in Newfoundland - and he wants to transmit his most heartfelt congratulations to his mentor, from back in his early days in Lethbridge. He wished he had the stamina and work ethic you have displayed for almost 20 seasons, and he hopes the number 48 will be in the rafters at the North Stars Arena in the near future. <3

And now, here's a question.
Harry Carpet has left an undeniable footprint in the history of the SHL. If there was only one aspect of his legacy - may it be on or off the ice - that was to endure through the ages, and looked back on in a future "century" celebration of the league, which one would it be?

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!

02-15-2023, 04:53 PMKlusteR Wrote: Harry Carpet has left an undeniable footprint in the history of the SHL. If there was only one aspect of his legacy - may it be on or off the ice - that was to endure through the ages, and looked back on in a future "century" celebration of the league, which one would it be?

That's not an easy question. I wish I could say that you can achieve anything with your player by just believing in it and had I won a cup with Harry that would've been proof for it, but sadly that never happened even though I never actually gave up hope. On the IIHF side however, it looked a lot better. So instead maybe something like that goalie longevity is indeed possible if you really, really want it and work for it? It's more and more difficult, but I'm certain someone will break my records one day. The league's systems change over time and given how many different systems and eras I've been through with just one player (STHS, FHM6, FHM8, 50 game-era, 66 game-era, not to mention the 350 TPE cap in the J which no longer exists) something will change in the future again that will make it easier to break old records.

Stars Lions Berserkers

Bump? Any more questions? If not I'll close this soon.

Stars Lions Berserkers