Create Account

S72 Championship Week

J GM/SHL HO off season pass

[Image: loreoh.gif]
[Image: eP8F2Ne.png][Image: xm4idGe.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png][Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. You can never take success for granted, but these are two of the league's heavy favorites coming into the cup finals. Pick either of our finalists, and tell me what about them impresses you the most!
b. New England vs Winnipeg makes this a rematch of the S70 finals! What does Winnipeg have to do differently to take round two, two seasons later, in season seventy-two?
c. The Aurora defeated the Blizzard in their conference final, and the Wolfpack sank the Forge. Who had the more impressive victory to punch their ticket to the cup final, and why?
d. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?

a. As a non-Winnipeg fan, what impresses me the most about the Winnipeg team in the Challenge Cup finals is their resilience and consistency. They've shown time and time again that they can weather the storm and come out on top. Their ability to stay composed under pressure and deliver in crucial moments is truly remarkable.

b. To secure a victory in this rematch against New England in season seventy-two, Winnipeg needs to focus on their offensive strategy. They should capitalize on their scoring opportunities, making the most of their offensive talents to put pressure on the opposing goalie. Tightening up the defense and minimizing turnovers will also be key to securing that coveted cup.

c. The more impressive victory to punch their ticket to the cup final was the Aurora's win over the Blizzard. Aurora faced a tough opponent in the Blizzard and managed to overcome them, showing their ability to adapt and succeed in high-stakes situations. While the Wolfpack's victory over the Forge was significant, the Blizzard had a stronger regular season, making Aurora's triumph more impressive.

d. In this thrilling Challenge Cup final, I have to give the edge to Winnipeg. The team's consistency and ability to perform under pressure have been outstanding this season. With their strong offense and a solid defense, Winnipeg is well-rounded and prepared to seize the cup. While New England is a formidable opponent, Winnipeg's determination and skill will likely secure them the victory.

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Peggy's Back, Tell a Friend (150 words min.)
Winnipeg is a cup finalist for an astonishing fourth year in a row! To make that happen in the current era of the SHL requires serious skill and deserves appreciation. What is it that makes this Aurora era so successful? What have been the most crucial factors in their Western dominance? What lessons should the rest of the league learn from their success?

The Winnipeg Aurora's success in the SHL? Oh, it's been something to behold, and there are a bunch of things that have made it happen. So, what's the secret sauce to their Western Conference dominance and their fourth straight trip to the cup finals? Well, first off, let's talk about leadership. They've had some rock-solid leadership, both on and off the ice. These folks in charge have made some savvy moves in recruiting and developing players, and that's the foundation of their success. Then, there's the roster. It's not just good; it's versatile. They've got talented players in every spot, so they can adapt to whatever comes their way, making them a tough nut to crack all season long. But it's not just about individuals; it's about the team vibe too. They've got some serious team chemistry going on, and it shows when they hit the ice. They know each other's moves and work together like a well-oiled machine. Consistency is a big deal too. They've been killing it in the regular season, earning high playoff seeds, and getting that sweet home-ice advantage. And adaptability? They've got it in spades. These guys can change up their game plan depending on who they're up against, and that keeps their opponents guessing. So, here's the lesson for the rest of the league: plan carefully, build that team chemistry, stay consistent, and be ready to switch things up when needed. The Winnipeg Aurora have shown us all how it's done in the world of hockey simulation.

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Pack Attack (150 words min.)
The New England Wolfpack have two defensemen and seven forwards that went over a point per game in the regular season, and one in Ivan Lackasmus that lapped it with over two points per game. They haven't slowed down in the playoffs either, so they aren't just inflated by hot games against the tanks. What is it that makes the Wolfpack's offense so incredibly lethal? Can it be imitated, or only envied? Will it be enough to get them another cup with this core?

The New England Wolfpack's offense, man, it's seriously impressive. I mean, they've got a bunch of guys who were putting up more than a point per game in the regular season, and they haven't slowed down in the playoffs either. It's not like they're just feasting on weaker teams; they're the real deal. So, what's their secret sauce? Well, first off, it's all about versatility. They've got forwards and defensemen who can score in different ways, so you can't pin them down. Plus, they're killer at setting up plays – whether it's sweet passes or creating space, they know how to make things happen. Depth is another biggie. They've got a whole bunch of guys chipping in, so you can't just focus on shutting down one or two players. And let's not forget Ivan Lackasmus, who's like a scoring machine. Now, can other teams copy their style? Well, kinda. You can work on building depth and improving playmaking skills, but replicating their exact level of offensive firepower might be a tough ask. As for winning more cups with this crew, if they can keep the scoring party going while getting good support from their goalie and defense, they've got a real shot. So, while other teams might be a tad jealous, the Wolfpack's success is a great lesson in what's possible when you've got talent and strategy working together.

[Image: image.png]
[Image: dankestmemes69420.gif]

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]
Armada        Canada        Stampede
Falcons        Usa
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2023, 09:06 AM by MikeLiut. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

VW: MomSaysImSpecial

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. You can never take success for granted, but these are two of the league's heavy favorites coming into the cup finals. Pick either of our finalists, and tell me what about them impresses you the most!

a. Both teams are impressive and deserve the success they have, but the S62 class of Winnipeg is legendary. Winnipeg has a full line and a goalie with 1899 TPE+. Regression will start to hit soon, but on paper, this team has a line of hall of famers.  In comparison, New England has only Ivan Lacksamus with a TPE above 1899.  (60 words)

d. New England in 6. And I don't know why. Call it a curse, call it a feeling...  I really think Winnipeg deserves the Cup, but won't be able to get it. I love By-Tor’s article on the legacy that is Winnipeg, how they built the team and the trades they made. But I have the feeling New England will do their magic again.  (63 words)

Code:
One (1) affiliate claim from either PBE,  WSBL, SSL, or the ISFL will be accepted for 3 TPE! *if you’re claiming this and have a different username on the affiliate's site then you need to state that in your post to get credit.*

(3 TPE)
PBE Affiliate

TOTAL: 8 TPE

---
Ekaterina Valieva - Baltimore Platoon
Co-GM - Maine Timber

[Image: ekaterina-valieva-spotlight.png]
Thanks @xjoverax for the sig!
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2023, 06:51 AM by Salming. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification word: Borje

Winnipeg is a cup finalist for an astonishing fourth year in a row! To make that happen in the current era of the SHL requires serious skill and deserves appreciation. What is it that makes this Aurora era so successful? What have been the most crucial factors in their Western dominance? What lessons should the rest of the league learn from their success?

To a have a successful franchise, you need to have a good leaders. Aurora's dressing room is full of great leaders and this season they acquired one more in Max Manning, who is a former teammate and linemate of mine from Seattle Argonauts. He leads by his example in the ice but also offers stability to the locker room. And of course leaderships begins from the owner. Winnipeg's owner must be a good human being because he has been able to motivate his guys to play for the jersey and logo season after season. After owner, also GM and coaches are important pieces for creating a winning environment. You could of course talk about tactics, lines, play styles, players and so on but in my opinion most important aspect to the success is hard work and everyone are willing to do it in the Aurora's locker room without excuses. Manning is prime example of a player who is a two-way work horse and he will push Winnipeg to the finish line this time. They will win the cup in G7.

Words: 180

10. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Do you foresee any specific upsets in this season's IIHF? Any risers or fallers that might be hot takes? If not, why do you think the best will stay the best?

Like always, I expect big nations to succeed. Canada, Sweden, Finland, Russia and USA are powerhouses which should dominate IIHF event year after year because hockey culture is there something else than in for example in Japan, Great Britain, Ireland, Austria, Norway or Latvia. Finland and Japan dominated round robin last year and I expect them to have now even more success in the playoffs too. I also expect that Germany's hockey will continue its rising season after season even though three seasons ago they were already in a bronze medal game and repeated it season 70. On the other hand success of other rising hockey nation Latvia was a positive surprise. Germany is lead in the attack by Red Kirkby who is a good hockey player as are defenders Jonas Kahnwald and Kermit Murphy. From Nordic countries I expect that Finland will again strong this year because goalie tandem Smith-Carpet is elite even though Carpet is now younger version and they have good forward group. They are ready to win again like on season 62 and S64 and S66. When it comes to Russia, I expect the same. They are way too big hockey nation to underperform again which means everything lower than achieving a gold medal.

Words: 208

[Image: salming.png]

GM Pass

Finland Update Page  Interview  Player Page  Wolfpack

[Image: Snussu.gif]

Thanks to everyone made sigs to me!!!! (Gif made by myself)

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2023, 12:02 PM by thiefofcheese. Edited 4 times in total.)

Code:

cheese

+3 TPE

Code:

Well obviously the Wolfpack impresses me because it is my team and everyone in there rocks.  But, honestly, WPG making it to the finals 4 years in a row is a hell of an accomplishment.    I am sure they would rather win than just continually make it and not get the cup, but you gotta admit that is quite awesome.

+1 TPE

Code:
b. New England vs Winnipeg makes this a rematch of the S70 finals! What does Winnipeg have to do differently to take round two, two seasons later, in season seventy-two?

I mean, they need to win, right?  I think we are at the point where FHM RNG is going to play a big factor here.  Both teams can win on any given night so WPG just needs to keep up the grind and put pucks at the net and they have a solid chance.  I mean - obviously I want NEW to win, but have no expectation that this is going to be easy for either team.

+1 TPE

Code:
The New England Wolfpack have two defensemen and seven forwards that went over a point per game in the regular season, and one in Ivan Lackasmus that lapped it with over two points per game. They haven't slowed down in the playoffs either, so they aren't just inflated by hot games against the tanks. What is it that makes the Wolfpack's offense so incredibly lethal? Can it be imitated, or only envied? Will it be enough to get them another cup with this core?

All credit here goes to Luke for building the amazing team that NEW has now.  As for most winning seasons the GM is responsible for building the core and timing that peak that allows these teams to put W's on the board.  In reality it comes down to depth up and down the lines.  As mentioned here - all 3 forward lines were putting up a crazy amount of points.  You can not just go in with a strong first line and hope the others do not collapse - you gotta have production everywhere.  The team stepped up not only in the regular season but also in the playoffs.  As of this point we have 8 players that have 1 PPG or more in the playoffs and that's against huge teams like PHI who had great seasons in their own right. 

And putting z0rem's contractually obligated image on the ice was the real push we needed to keep things going.  I am pretty sure there would have been a riot if Luke did not get that on there so I guess we have him to thank for this as well.

+3 TPE

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

GM Pass

[Image: 3WSeHAA.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2023, 12:11 AM by LordBallGag. Edited 1 time in total.)

https://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/...t&p=626412
PBE affiliate Bazooka_Joe

CW Trivia Verification Word: Bazooka

[Image: IMG_2927.jpg?width=1195&height=672]

1) ISFL Affiliate +3

[Image: mmflex.png?ex=6587840c&is=65750f0c&hm=49...0873cbea2&]
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2023, 10:05 AM by ZootTX. Edited 1 time in total.)

PBE affiliate +3 TPE

1. Trivia +3 TPE
verification word: rora

2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag +2 TPE
Winnipeg has to overcome the evil nasty sim gods who hate them. No reason for them to have made the league finals four consecutive times without a win. To be as utterly dominant for 4 seasons during the regular season and up to the finals only to choke each time can only mean some evil sim lord has cursed them. No bias of course. (64 words)

Winnipeg. They have outstanding foward and defensemen. They have plenty of depth, especially on the offensive half of the ice. They have one of the league's best goalies in Rebecca Montagne. This team has been to hell and back 3 seasons in a row and come up swinging each time. Gotta be the Aurora. (54 words)

Total TPE: 8

[Image: zootshl.gif]
Sig credits: OrbitingDeath & enigmatic

[Image: jO2Di2N.png][Image: Voi7GNj.png][Image: 3NfeQdx.png]

Timber Scarecrows pride Aurora France

HO pass

[Image: NYR73.gif]
sigs from @sulovilen @_Blitz_ @Ragnar and @enigmatic

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png] [Image: cEbgUph.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2023, 12:47 PM by takethehorizon. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:

What the Winnipeg Aurora managed to do in making the SHL Finals for the 4th year in a row is incredible! Ace and RashfordU at the helm definitely know what they were doing in building this team out to not only compete but compete at such a high level and for a long period of time has been a real sight to see. Having your top guys hit their stride at the same time while also having studs for depth pieces has the Winnipeg at the top of the Western Conference standings yet again. Their top centreman in Lias Ekholm-Gunnarson leads the way not only for the Aurora but also atop of the leaders for around the league with 5th for goals and 4th for points. What stands out to me even more is having 3 Aurora in the top 10 in the league for plus/minus category. Beck, Sato and Blanchet are a plus machine and definitely help fill the opponents net while keeping the puck out of theirs. Rebecca Montagne is their starting netminders and she bests 3rd in the league in wins and 4th in the league in shutouts doing a fantastic job of backing this strong Winnipeg team. I think it all comes down to great timing by Ace knowing when the rest of the league may be in rebuilds and taking advantage of the window of opportunity when it arised.

Word Count: 235

Code:

Switching gears in talking about the opposing team, the New England Wolfpack who are contending in the Finals, representing the Eastern Conference. Speaking specifically about the offense - Ivan Lacksamus. PT done with, everyone go home. NEW's star center in Lacksamus is the offense. Lacksamus bests the entire league by 12 points over the 2nd place Evan Winter. Ivan is good for 2nd in the league in goals with 55 this season - oh and leads the league in assists. I don't think it matters much who is on his line, Lacksamus is a one man show and is looking to take down the Aurora singlehandedly. It definitely helps sharing a line with two 30 goal scorers in Truck and Svoboda. Their goal (haha) is to get Lacksamus the puck any time when he is on the ice as he is the best chance at beating star goaltender, Rebecca Montague. As long as Lacksamus keeps up what he has been doing all season, I don't see why NEW shouldn't come on top and rob the Peg of another championship.

Word Count: 177

Code:
10. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Do you foresee any specific upsets in this season's IIHF? Any risers or fallers that might be hot takes? If not, why do you think the best will stay the best?

The best will stay the best because Ireland IS THE BEST. First I'll start with goaltending. Caleb Hayden is crucial to have in the net as he was a big reason why Ireland won Gold last year. Even better, young goaltender Beau Kavanagh is next in line to take his position when he decides it's time to hang up the pads. So not only does Ireland have top tier goaltending heading into this year's tournament but Ireland will have another star in net for years to come. Mads McBride although slightly older put up impressive numbers in last year's tournament and will look to do the same again this year. Speaking of older, Seamus O'Slapahan leads the way on the blue line who was an integral part in why the Irish defense was as stout as they were. The Irish are aging so they could slide a bit in the next few seasons but with a ton of younger lads rising the ranks I don't see why Ireland won't be back up in the mix soon enough once the prospects mature.

Word Count: 181

3 + 3 + 3 = 9

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2023, 11:08 AM by spidey. Edited 1 time in total.)

Excelsior

a.
By all rights I should be picking New England, my SMJHL GMs are both from there. But for me it is Winnipeg. I am choosing them because they have an incredibly talented roster with fewer holes and an impossible top level talent that more then makes up for the wholes. When you look at their roster it is filled with modern living legends of the SHL. Kinsinger, Montagne, Rashford, Jarrow, O'Neil, Ekholm-Gunnarsson, Farquaads, Manning, all at 1800+ TPE, and nearly everyone else on their roster is well over 1300 TPE! This is a group made to win.

b.
Winnipeg doesn’t have to do anything different. This is a team that is built to win and in my opinion they got unlucky in the first class is all. They have a legendary roster right now, they know how to win. Unless they get beat by New England’s goalie, they have little to worry about. This is theirs to win.

c.
I am going to vote for New England. This is no slight to any team that made the conference finals. I see Edmonton as an up and coming team that really is one maybe two seasons away from reaching the upper echelon of the league. Winnipeg is the pinnacle right now, so the two weren’t that close of a match up. New England and Philadelphia are a lot more evenly matched and very close talent wise. I think New England beating the Forge is a huge victory and one that might give them the momentum to surprise the Aurora.

D.
I said it earlier and I will say it again. Winnipeg will take the cup. Their roster is so deep and talented. They have no real weakness on their team making it difficult for the Wolfpack all game long. There will be no rest periods, that New England can recharge and no easy goals. Winnipeg can run its big guns as it feels necessary and give them time to rest knowing the rest of the team is able to pick up the slack.

total words 343 +4 TPE

Clearly there is a commitment to excellence in one draft year. From that draft year they had to build around them with great support. This was the building blocks to Winnipeg’s current success. They focused everything on season 62’s draft. They drafted well, they supported that group and made fantastic trades to acquire more talent from this draft class. I am sure there was plenty of internal competition among team members to get the most and best out of this class. In turn they have all developed into some of the best the SHL has seen.

With that base of 5 top tier talent in their system, they ensured the few draft classes before produced a few successful members and a few afterwards also created successful teammates. Creating In a span of less than 8 season 12 (nearly a full roster) of top players with a similar goal. To sum it up. Focus on one year as the key and draft heavily investing in that year. Ensure you have support before and after. Trade to bring in the best talent around the top draft year.
total words 184 +3 TPE

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2023, 06:13 PM by CrazyMojito. Edited 2 times in total.)

PBE Affiliate +3 TPE

Code:

Mojito

Code:

Code:

I think the pretty obvious thing Winnipeg needs to do to defeat New England is score more goals than they allow every game. Seems like a pretty simple recipe for success to me! Winnipeg has the Wolfpack beat in all categories as far as TPE goes and they certainly have the experience of playing in the finals. If they learn from their mistakes and take advantage of their skill this time just might be different.

75 Words +1 TPE

Code:

For the reasons I've listed in prompt B, I think this time is the time that the Winnipeg Aurora do what we all set out to do each season and win the Challenge Cup. There is just no way that their luck is that bad. I think they know what it is they need to do and they will take round 2. Not going to be easy though, the Wolfpack have proven they can slay the mighty beast that is Winnipeg. Time will tell!

84 Words +1 TPE

Total TPE: 3 + 3 + 1 + 1 = 8

[Image: CrazyMojitoSHL.gif]
Canada Blizzard Stars Renegades  Citadelles Citadelles Renegades  Stars Blizzard Canada 
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2023, 05:15 PM by Jiggly_333. Edited 1 time in total.)

ISFL PT

Code:
I'm not really active enough in the league to really explain what's happened in Winnipeg that well, but I do know that much of it comes from guys bein dudes. In other words, it's a lot about powerful people being friends and getting together to be dominant. I've always noticed that the same teams have these sort of dominant eras and it mostly comes from players who are deep in the league's administrative roles. At that point, they've got money, they're getting PT passes, and everything is a whole lot easier. Normally I'd be talking shit about this sort of thing, but I guess good work taking on all the busy work that makes the league itself run. They get the benefits. But I do think that the generational wealth that some of these teams develop is interesting in other ways. Despite not fully paying attention to the league, I always notice I see the same usernames over and over behind all of these dominant players and those players always seem to go to the same teams. Winnipeg has just had enough players who decided to head there. There's no big secret, it's all right there in front of you.

Trivia +2 max:
Lightweight

[Image: KouSaotomeUndraftedSigSmol.png]
Jamie T Wrote:But I wish I'd been a little more exceptional
And I wish I'd been a little unconventional
But I was not enough, no, I'm not enough