Create Account

S72 Championship Week

1. Trivia verification word: Lodge (3 TPE)

12. The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.) Looks like Winnipeg won Season 72! Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to change the result? What was your favorite part of the series? (2 TPE)
 Winnipeg won in rather convincing fashion, taking the series with a dominant five games. Winnipeg made their mark on the series when they stole game two in overtime on New England ice to prevent an 0-2 series deficit. It was at this point that Winnipeg's greatest strength came into play. The Aurora were an astounding 32-1-0 on home ice throughout the season, and this home team advantage did not disappoint in the finals. Games four and five were both shutouts, Winnipeg winning handily with scores of 4-0 and 5-0 respectively. I am not sure there was much New England could have done differently, but losing game two was the breaking point for them. Allowing Winnipeg to take the momentum back home was a knife in the back for the Wolfpack. As an avid goalie fan, my favorite moments in the series were Winnipeg's stout defense in games four and five! (150 Words)

ISFL Affiliate Task - Week of 9/03 - 9/10 (3 TPE)

[Image: Lodge-Sig.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2023, 12:51 PM by Raven. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Wack

+ 3 TPE

3/8

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

GM pass

GM of Canada in the WJC S56

S56 WJC Gold Medalist GM/Player for Canada

[Image: ddIlIkT.png][Image: qzGJBye.png]

[Image: GMGumba.gif]

Affiliate Link: https://forums.sim-football.com/showthre...#pid732496

1) Verification Word: quack

2a) New England impresses me the most by how many points they got on the season. I used to have a tradition where I would always bet the New England Under because it was hilariously low. I haven't been paying much attention lately (like 5+ seasons), but apparently they don't suck anymore. So that's cool and definitely impresses me because I never expect things to change, yet they did.

2b) Winnipeg will definitely need to do things different this time around. The major contributing factor to them losing last time was allowing New England to score more goals, while simultaneously not scoring as many goals. I’m not sure what Winnipeg was thinking the first time around as not scoring more goals than your opponent is an odd strategy that has never worked before. So that’s my recommendation this time around. Score more goals Winnipeg!

[Image: puddlesoduck2.gif]

1. Trivia - 3 TPE
Katth

12. The Procastinator Special - 2 TPE
Well it looks like Winnipeg won the Challenge Cup this season and I think it is no surprise. They have been a big force in the league for the past few seasons and have been in the final before. I think it is fitting the finally won it. Ace his dedication has finally paid off and I am happy for them. They could have been a dynasty team, but FHM is simply brutal to most of us. Peaking and winning a cup is hard for anyone, it is not a walk in the park. Everything came together for them and they took the biggest prize of them all.

10. IIHF Analysis - 3 TPE
I have not been following IIHF that closely for the past few seasons even though I have won a gold medal with Germany recently, but I think that Germany is again an outsider in this seasons tournament. We have a good core of players and some up and coming rockstars such as my own player Rikkert Biemans. I also think that Sweden, Norway and Japan will perform really well. Not sure why, but it is a gut feeling I have that they will be good this season. Canada and the United States will dissapoint. They always have high expectations and I do not think they can deliver this season. Another dangerous outsider might be Ireland as they won it last season and they are likely to be pretty decent again having star player Mads McBride in their line up. He also won the scoring title last season in the round robin stage.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

1. Trivia - 3 TPE
emu

3. Peggy's Back, Tell a Friend - 3 TPE
It is somewhat sad that in many ways, Winnipeg making the finals 4 times in a row is sometimes overshadowed by the fact that they lost the finals 3 times in a row. The narrative started with, "will the best regular season team be the best playoff team?" before transitioning to "Can Winnipeg finally break through or is it another runner-up for them?" Always the bridesmaid, never the bride, yet it is easy to instead imagine a world where the narrative is "Ho hum, Winnipeg marching their way to a 4th straight championship, this time it's New England stepping up to be the final victim of the Aurora buzzsaw." But even though that didn't happen, you can't help but applaud what an absolute powerhouse of a team Winnipeg has put together over the last few seasons. In addition to dominating the regular season, they have generally had the top team by TPE and an extremely balanced roster with no real weaknesses. Rashford and Ekholm-Gunnarson have been mainstays pacing their offense for their run, and adding Manning has given them some additional firepower. While Beck was the strongest defenseman at the start of their run, they've since had Kinsinger and O'Neil to step up as Beck battled through regression. And Montagne has been one of the highest TPE goalies throughout the run, even if the sim hasn't always been kind to the netminder. At the end of the day, this is a team that should be remembered for a historic streak of dominance, regardless of how many championships they end up winning. (269 words)

12. The Procrastinator Special - 2 TPE
Once burned, twice shy. Fool me once, shame on you. You need to learn to lose before you can learn to win. Fool me twice, shame on me. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Two wrongs don't make a right. All these sayings about doing things 2 or 3 times, but I always found it odd no one ever said anything about FOUR times. So when you think about it, this one was also fated to be a victory for Winnipeg as they finally didn't have to also go up against the curse of the clichés. Last season everyone was lining up to jinx them saying "Third time's the charm," but this time people ran out of sayings and finally Winnipeg could go out and play freely against their opponent without the cruel winds of fate opposing them. (146 words)

Citadelles  S68 - Jarrod Lakemore - C Stampede
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2023, 02:01 AM by diacope. Edited 21 times in total.)

1. diacope (3 TPE)

5. Because I don't really know much about what it takes to be a elite team on here I'm going to compare the teams with my team Baltimore which is in the middle of the pack

WINNIPEG
Okay starting with the winning team their centers look to be top notch still, everybody is better any of ours and with limited options I reckon they have one of the best units, even the wingers stack up the same way having more stars even with our team having around 600 TPE more spent and an extra body to send over the boards. I can see some players making it into top 10 lists for sure. Looking down a little further on the rosters sheet to the defenders I see the best part of the Aurora having plenty of help for their goaltender and a huge advantage over us on this department with close to 3,000 more TPE in attributes.. We also have an extra body here too. Will have players fighting for top spots no doubt. Now lastly the netminders and I already know both of our teams have a starter that we can rely on but comparing the legend Montagne beside Devoir who has yet to do anything major doesn't make it look very close right away, well that's probably because of the whopping 500 TPE advantage for the Aurora's Rebecca.. Thankfully we do have a backup to make this our closest comparison but we lack the defense to truly make something happen consistently in the end. Being at the top and still able to get something done will have her fighting for awards yet again which is exactly what the team wants to continue to do moving forward luring in some new talent. In the end I think Winnipeg will be a major threat for at least a few seasons longer and should make the finals again, if they continue to get the right pieces to fit in with their already intact but aging core the team could definitely make it a few more after that too

NEW ENGLAND
Red flags starting out for the Wolfpack in the center position with the team only have two to compete with them next season compared to our four and their star power is even less to overpower our offense so this is below the middle of the pack without looking any deeper and that's exactly the recipe the runner ups have been using to dominate the league.. Scary. Unless they have some hot new additions coming soon I think both centers will struggle and could even hurt their wingers a bit. Speaking of the wings they do have an extra one than us so that's already a good start if they get more men in the middle, narrowing in a little closer I see New England a little more top heavy while we make up for it in depth so it's close. Should have players in the mix for top 10 positions if their centers step up. Now back to the weakest part of our team defense and it comes in play again making the Wolfpack look a little better than us now having almost a complete core of 1,000+ TPE compared to our one pairing of stars, they even have the age advantage to carry them down the road. Finally the goalies and both of them are around the same total TPE so things are looking good for us I guess.. Or bad for New England possibly being in the middle of the pack now, again defense will boost this a little and history from an established player will keep things going well but with so many concerns I can see the Wolfpack going up and down the standings. In the future I can see this team falling apart sooner than later losing some of their more important key players soon, because of that I can see them only competing for one more season at the top 5 unless they find a diamond in the rough and after that it will be uphill until they decide to finally rebuild (3 TPE)

12. It appears that the Winnipeg Aurora finally got it done after four straight finals appearances in a row and I couldn't be more thrilled to see my favorite Canadian team win it. Going into it and seeing the same team yet again I expected to see the same result but this time it was a no contest for the Aurora who battled back from a devastating seven goal loss in the first game following it up with one of their own the very next night, and also shifting momentum back to the zero region for game three. In the next few games the learned lessons from the previous battles seemed to be still active in both of the coaches' teams minds making more adjustments but it would be the Winnipeg team that would make the right ones to better themselves instead of mixing things up and they take it easily in the final game only giving up the lead for a minute at the start in a 5 to 3 victory proving their new strategy was exactly what they needed to beat the Wolfpack on both ends of the ice (2 TPE)

Platoon RAIYA Platoon RABINOV Platoon

CW Pass

[Image: Svatos2.png?ex=660626ee&is=65f3b1ee&hm=4...height=350] [Image: sig.png?ex=660330ca&is=65f0bbca&hm=574bd...9bdc77fda&]
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2023, 04:47 PM by LampLighter. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. Land +3 TPE

11. Yes, Matiss does have teammates on Team Latvia that play for a division rival in the SHL. That player would be Chimkin Wing of Buffalo. Matiss does not mind having a division rival wear the same jersey as him during international play because once a player wears the same jersey they are on your team at that time. When you are playing in the IIHF it doesn’t matter where your teammates are playing at from the SHL because that is not what matters at that time. The only thing that matters is the team you represent and everyone should be on the same page to be able to bring your team a championship no matter what jersey you have on at the time. As far as making friends go, when you are with a group of people for a certain amount of time hanging out and playing together you tend to form new relationships and then those relationships become friends. Matiss has definitely made friends during the IIHF that he wouldn’t have had normally due to all the new people he gets to hang around with during the IIHF. +3 TPE

12. At the conclusion of this SHL season the Winnipeg Aurora were the champions beating the New England Wolfpack. Winnipeg won the series due to their dominating performance, both on offense and defense. Coming in with the best overall roster in the SHL there was no reason for Winnipeg not to win even though they were going up against New England who was the number one team during the regular season. Winnipeg had such a strong showing that in the four series they played they only lost three games. Winnipeg won because they did not have one significant player stand out alone, but they worked together as a complete team to win the championship. I don’t know if there was much that New England could’ve done to change the series just because going into it they were going up against the team that was playing the best in the playoffs and when you face a hard team, there’s not much you can do except play the best you can which New England did unfortunately Cannot stop Winnipeg from winning. The favorite part of the series was just being able to be in the championship as a part of New England, in only my second season. +2 TPE
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2023, 07:24 PM by BANACKOCK. Edited 6 times in total.)

Quote:10. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Do you foresee any specific upsets in this season's IIHF? Any risers or fallers that might be hot takes? If not, why do you think the best will stay the best?

I’ve always been a massive advocate for having the IMEIHF or any form of international world cup of hockey involved in the simulation world. I don’t know why, but it’s always so much fun! I was the commissioner for the world juniors in the VHL for the longest time and have managed as a general manager in both up and down league too many times to count. When it comes to the SHL, it looks like there’s two superpowers in Ireland and Japan. When you take a look at season, 71’s tournament, this place to be mostly true. It really looks like through a chunk of it Ireland, Japan, Norway and the USA took things a way a bit. This season I think I predicted a few teams, climbing, and one of them might be Sweden. I don’t know if they’re going to go as far as an upset, but they’re definitely gonna be climbing from the ninth position that they were in last year. In fact, I’ve gone so far in saying this, that I do believe that Sweden is going to win the gold, Finland is going to win the silver, and Japan is only going to win the bronze. Pretty Balzy to say that I’ve cut Ireland out of the entire equation. Do I think that all of this is going to come through? No. Do I think there’s a possibility no. Ha ha.

- 237 words

Quote:4. Written, 3 TPE, Pack Attack (150 words min.)
The New England Wolfpack have two defensemen and seven forwards that went over a point per game in the regular season, and one in Ivan Lackasmus that lapped it with over two points per game. They haven't slowed down in the playoffs either, so they aren't just inflated by hot games against the tanks. What is it that makes the Wolfpack's offense so incredibly lethal? Can it be imitated, or only envied? Will it be enough to get them another cup with this core?

When you took this seasons, New England Wolfpack, and put them underneath a microscope to analyze how their season went and things to come, mucho bueno. Mmmm tacos! They had it all. Two defencemen and seven forwards with over appoint pregame. They also had a very elite forward with Ivan getting 12 more points than second place on the season. Everything was clicking for they’re all fence of game and you can also argue their defensive game as they had the best differential as well. Heading into the postseason. This is exactly the chemistry do you want between your players. They have the right build, the lines are just clicking, and if the offence continued, I think it would’ve been a really dominant force against Winnipeg. Fortunately, they were able to come out on top and shut things down.

When I seen this result, it was a little surprising for me. I didn't think anyone was going to be able to put a lid on the Wolfpack's chemistry and magic, but Winnipeg found a way to make it happen.

- 179 words

Quote:12. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Looks like [TEAM] won Season 72! Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to change the result? What was your favorite part of the series?

Well, it looks like the Winnipeg aurora have won this season’s championship. I’m going to be 100% honest and saying that I am a little bit surprised. The New England Wolfpack did get five extra wins on the season, as well as scoring 21 More goals and having a +18 higher differential. Not only this but New England also has Ivan Lacksamus,  Who absolutely tear up the SHL this season scoring 55 goals, getting 76 assist for a total of 131 points. This total was good enough to put Ivan in first place for the regular season for points as they finished with 12 more points in second place. I think, given how strong New England was, and just how dominant the series looked being a 4-1 series defeat for Winnipeg, It could’ve been a little more tighter in those regards.

- 141 words

= 8 TPE

gimme dat offseason pass

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]
[Image: KPt6Yuu.png]

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

butts

2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. You can never take success for granted, but these are two of the league's heavy favorites coming into the cup finals. Pick either of our finalists, and tell me what about them impresses you the most!
b. New England vs Winnipeg makes this a rematch of the S70 finals! What does Winnipeg have to do differently to take round two, two seasons later, in season seventy-two?
c. The Aurora defeated the Blizzard in their conference final, and the Wolfpack sank the Forge. Who had the more impressive victory to punch their ticket to the cup final, and why?
d. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?

112 - 1 tpe
a. Right out of the gate, I'm noticing some bright colors on the forums. It's this type of branding -- the kind that works well on the darkmode version of the website -- that really sets a team apart. This team is a long time coming. I remember when Ace took over you could hear whispers of the rebuild before it even started. Sure enough, it turned out to be a huge draft. It was clear Winnipeg was building something big and it was rare to scout a player who didn't want to go there specifically. And here they are, finally. It lasted a little longer than they had hoped, but they secured a win.
104 - 1tpe
c. The debate over which animal completes the holy trifecta of the Blizzard and the Wolfpack rages on even as we speak. They are of course the undisputed animals, two canine animi representations of dominance amongst the animal kingdom. Pack leaders in a team based sport. The Pride are the obvious choice, but some thought is given to the other pack of beasts: The buffalo stampede. These teams by definition exemplify the sport, but only one can be the 3rd in the trifecta. Had the Aroura defeated the trifecta on their way to a cup, it would have set a record for coolest playoff season.

10. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Do you foresee any specific upsets in this season's IIHF? Any risers or fallers that might be hot takes? If not, why do you think the best will stay the best?

177 words 3 tpe
I know as the federation head of great britian, i am compelled to comment on His Majesty's super squad of very good hockey players. But, compulsion is a weaker force than pride, here. Indeed, I swell with pride at this very moment, a patriotic tear running down my cheek, onto mustache and into tea. Of course, the British are once again medal favorites, with a roster filled to the brim with household english names such as Sven Svechnikov, Markus Jager, and Giannis Kroustis. We have some new additions to the squad, come to us from other countries because they too recognize the superiority of His Majesty's super squad of very good hockey players. Patrice Bergeron, Tiberius Kane, Chris Valentine, these are just a few of the new bloods making a name for themselves on the global stage including the SHL. We expect to trail initially, to increase the drama of our season, before going on a 12 game win streak that lands us at the top of the division. Then, it's just 4 more wins to gold.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Code:

word

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Peggy's Back, Tell a Friend (150 words min.)
Winnipeg is a cup finalist for an astonishing fourth year in a row! To make that happen in the current era of the SHL requires serious skill and deserves appreciation. What is it that makes this Aurora era so successful? What have been the most crucial factors in their Western dominance? What lessons should the rest of the league learn from their success?

The Winnipeg Aurora's remarkable achievement of reaching the cup finals for four consecutive years in the current era of the SHL is a testament to their exceptional skill, consistency, and a combination of factors that have contributed to their Western dominance. The Aurora's success begins with a deep roster of talented players. They have a mix of seasoned veterans and emerging stars, which gives them depth in all positions. Their coaching staff has demonstrated an ability to adapt and strategize effectively. They study opponents meticulously, adjusting their game plans to exploit weaknesses and neutralize strengths. Building and maintaining a positive team culture is crucial. The Aurora's players seem to genuinely enjoy playing together, which fosters trust and cooperation on and off the ice. Aurora's success can be due to prioritizing player development, fostering a positive team culture, and investing in coaching and strategy. Building a winning franchise requires a combination of talent, strategy, and a commitment to excellence, as exemplified by Winnipeg's Aurora in this era.

166 words

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Pack Attack (150 words min.)
The New England Wolfpack have two defensemen and seven forwards that went over a point per game in the regular season, and one in Ivan Lackasmus that lapped it with over two points per game. They haven't slowed down in the playoffs either, so they aren't just inflated by hot games against the tanks. What is it that makes the Wolfpack's offense so incredibly lethal? Can it be imitated, or only envied? Will it be enough to get them another cup with this core?

The Wolfpack boasts an impressive lineup of highly skilled forwards and defensemen. Having nine players who averaged over a point per game in the regular season, with Ivan Lackasmus surpassing two points per game, speaks to their exceptional talent. It's not just about star players; the Wolfpack also has depth throughout their lineup. This ensures that opposing teams can't focus solely on shutting down one or two players, as they have multiple offensive threats to contend with.

Can it be imitated? Yes, to some extent. Teams can study the Wolfpack's success and try to replicate their strategies, focus on player development, and build depth in their roster. However, replicating such high-scoring success may require a combination of talent, coaching, and chemistry that not every team can achieve.
Will it be enough to get them another cup? While a lethal offense is a significant advantage, winning a championship also depends on factors like defense, goaltending, special teams, and luck. If the Wolfpack can maintain their offensive prowess and address other areas effectively, they have a strong chance of contending for another cup with their core group. However, the outcome of any season can be unpredictable in sports.

196 words

[Image: gurbs.gif]

Code:
allo

3TPE

Code:
12. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Looks like [TEAM] won Season 72! Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to change the result? What was your favorite part of the series?

My favorite part of the playoff is the fact that winnipeg finally won a cup. They were in their fourth consecutive final and they finally did it. I am happy because they have a bunch of really fun users and I have lots of friend on the team. They won for one simple reason. They have been developing a powerhouse since S62, they made monster trades and drafted lot’s of good player. Realistically they should have been a dynasty. New England would have had a way to the victory if they won game 2. But the aurora was able to get a W and it was smooth sailing from there.

5TPE

isfl PT

8 TPE

[Image: 75fL0ul.png]
credit to Qwest

Code:
SoDamnTired

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Cold Sweat and Frozen Tears (150 words min)
How many more kicks at the can will these teams have with their current cores? Winnipeg has been unbelievably dominant with four straight wins of the Western conference. The Wolfpack have been one of the best teams in the league for several seasons running as well. For how long are these two cores going to keep themselves in that top echelon? Which teams will be their biggest threats next season?
A lot of us thought, going into this season, that this would be the season of the "big regression" for the Winnipeg Aurora, after three consecutive seasons of reigning over the Western Conference. Que nenni - the Manitoban team has done it again, topping the conference in the regular season once more (46-17-3), led by their steady core of Lias Ekholm-Gunnarson, Mikko Rashford, Christian Kinsinger, Jay O'Neil and Miguel Hefeweizen. Their off-season acquisition of Max Manning has proved to be fruitful, as well, staving off what could have been some slow down on the offensive front by providing them some much-needed depth up front. As for potential threats to their supremacy next season, the Edmonton Blizzard and Chicago Syndicate seem poised to, once again, battle it out for the top spot in the conference, as they did this season. They will need to bring their A-game in the playoffs, however, as it seems that Winnipeg finds a way when it matters most, as highlighted by their fourth consecutive appearance in the Challenge Cup Final.

As for the Eastern Conference, while the New England Wolfpack finished as the top team in the league with an impressive 102 points campaign (51-15-0), I wouldn't be surprised to see them show up again next season. They always seem to find a way to get the most out of their core, and even if they aren't getting any younger, the (relatively) new blood of Outdoor Truck and Seamus O'Slapahan seem to have taken an impressive next step in their development this season, and so I can see them repeating as Eastern Conference champions. However, they do seem to have a similar championship window as other power houses in their conference, namely the Philadelphia Forge and Montréal Patriotes, both teams that will surely want to avenge a disappointing end to their campaign this season. It will be another long battle for supremacy in the East next season.

(333 words)

Code:
12. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
It took them four long and excruciating seasons to finally call themselves the Challenge Cup Champions, but the Winnipeg Aurora have finally done it! I cannot imagine what it would have felt like in their locker room if they had become the bridesmaid for yet another season, after their hegemony over the Western Conference that we have witnessed since Season 69. Their offensive power was once again put on display, but surprisingly, the key factor in this series win was their impressive lock-down of the Wolfpack's own offensive machine in games 3 and 4, presented in Boston - both won by shutouts, thanks to stout goalkeeping from Rebecca Montagne and the impressive defensive display put on by their leader on defence, Christian Kinsinger. Thankfully for them, they didn't let the suspense linger for too long, even with a commanding 3-1 series lead, and were able to close the books in game 5, at home, in front of a hysterical crowd, ecstatic to finally see their home team hoist the trophy after the heartbreaks of the past three seasons. Congratulations to them, and may they celebrate accordingly!

(189 words)

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!