Create Account

WJC Commissioner Statement

Hi all,

As some of you will already know, I was recently selected to be Slash's successor as commisioner of the World Junior Championships. Slash did a great job running the tournament but I think there's a lot of work to be done to help it realise its' full potential. I'm putting this statement out to bring my intentions forward and to open up discussion to the community about what they'd like to see with the tournament. This statement will be broken down with each of my two intentions for the WJC, and how I intend to go about achieving them. But first..

I have a vision for the tournament but I can't do it alone, today I am hiring @SpartanGibbles as a WJC HO member to help make WJC an engaging experience for both new and old users alike. Gibs is a guy who joined the site at the same time as I and has followed a very similar path as mine in terms of on-site jobs and junior GMing. He's someone I've had an excellent working relationship with and will continue to do so in this new HO. He also, like me, deeply cares about the juniors in the SHL. While I had some excellent applications, it's these two reasons that I am choosing him to work with me on bring WJC forward.

First Intention: Get more people interested in SHL International Hockey as a whole
While not as prevalent as before, there's still a fairly decent amount of people who don't care for IIHF at the main level. I plan to squash this using the WJC by getting new (both first-gen and recreates) members involved as early as possible in representing their nation, and to help them feel excited about it. The first way we plan on this is to give WJC a much higher site presence. Currently it's just an index in the IIHF Games section that gets posted, and supported by a rulebook which is entirely incomplete. There's a few things we intend to do to expand its' presence, some of these items will be further down the line but they are all in the works, starting with:
  • A revamped rulebook, mainly to set pre-existing rules in stone, as well as guaranteeing active players are iced
  • WJC History section, with past teams, records, GMs, rosters, medal winning rosters, and so much more
  • Hosting bids, to give the tournament more substance and set in a physical location
  • Promote the WJC to first-gen players more widely
The rulebook will be the first tangible thing from this list to be in place in time for S50's tournament, as well as perhaps hosting bids. The history section will take a bit of time to collate but we hope to have it ready ASAP. 

Second Intention: Expand the international experience for juniors players
While the WJC is an excellent introduction for players onto the international hockey scene, there is still a small gap in the market for players to be playing higher/top line minutes, even as a brand new create. As a HO unit, Gibbles and I will be looking at options to fill this gap. Watch this space while we decide the best way to execute. Outside of that, we want to expand the current WJC experience in its' current form. A lot of this will tie in with our first intention, by making the WJC more engaging through setting up history and record pages. We also want more people to want their team to succeed in the WJC, rather than idly checking the index every so often. The hosting aspect will hopefully play a big role in this part. 

Once again welcome @SpartanGibbles to WJC HO, I have no doubt that the two of us will be able to give the SHL the best damn WJC that ever did be. I will be taking any and all questions about the WJC either privately or below this post.

Oh one more thing, due to not being able to get control of the old one, there's a new Discord, join here.

[Image: owenm43.gif]
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]

Looking forward to your tenure

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

I like this fire puppy, team Canada's full support is yours and you bet your ass were trying for the first hosting bid!

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Excited to see some of these ideas come to fruition. It was a bummer to see some active Russians (who played on our senior team which made IIHF semis!) not even qualify for WJC.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Glad to be on board for this exciting new chapter of the WJC. Going to be working to make the whole experience the best it can be for our users, old and new.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

I love you

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

I am excited about the ideas being presented. The WJC definitely needs some changes and everything you are stating as goals is stuff I am actively interested in seeing implemented. Excited to see how this goes!

[Image: 59270_s.gif]

[Image: jcjcF7J.png]  [Image: nHs4nH0.png]

applied

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

I was a WJC GM once lmao

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland