Create Account

S50 PT #4 - Skills Competition

Code:
Written Option #2: For one of the above competitions, what one player would you bet on to win it? Why are you picking them - what makes you think they have the best chance to take home the hardware? (150+ words)

I'm choosing the hardest shot competition, and to win it I'm choosing Noah Konn. To start with you can't argue with 2nd in goals scored in the entire league, you have to have some heat on your shot to make that happen. But more importantly being on Edmonton I've played against him for a ton of games every season, I've personally seen that rocket sail past my head straight into the net. Konn has spent more time in this league than most people so he's had more time than most to perfect his slap shot, and unlike most forwards he uses it more than his wrister or snap shot. Players like Mike Izzy or Brady McIntyre could have a chance but both seem to have fallen off a bit when it comes to their shots. If I had to choose someone the choice is absolutely easy, it's Noah Konn without question. Plus he uses a bauer which is a pretty sick stick.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

If my player was chosen to participate in any of the challenges for the All Star skills comp it would probably go very poorly for me. Obviously best shootout goalie is out of the question because I could not stop a sandwich from entering my mouth much less a puck from the net. Based off my absolute age I would have to say that fastest skater would result in a last place finish as well, unless they allowed rocket powered walkers. So most accurate shot would be my best bet. While I think I would do decent enough in the comp I am still only shooting 8.4% on the season so I think I would probably finish near the bottom compared to some of these young guns that are laser accurate. I would definitely train hard though by maybe rewarding myself with food for every shot hit. Also if they offered a prize to the winner of something like free buffet access in NOLA for a year then I think I would be the fastest most accurate shot anyone has ever seen.

183 words

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

PBE PT
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2019, 05:18 AM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

I am gonna craft my field of four contestants for one of these competitions and the one I will take a look at is most accurate shot, a competition that will be made up of the leagues most prolific snipers and scorers. It' actually a relatively easy field to narrow down for three of the fours spot, but for the last one things could become very spicy. The top-goalscorer this season, Noah Konn, is obviously a lock with his 27 goals after just 46 games and I'd expect the New England Wolfpack to be quite annoyed by this one after trading a lot for Konn last season, but then seeing him move on to greener pastures after a subpar few months with them. Next up we have Piotr Czerwkawski, a New Orleans Specters mainstay and undoubtedly one of the faces of this young franchise and a prolific goalscorer as well. His 26 goals make this the third 20-goal season already in his relatively young career. For the third spot we have rookie sensation Mika Kandinsky from the Toronto North Stars who is just having an unvelievable first year in this league, one for the ages and the record books, with 24 goals, 57 points and being second in league scoring just a few games before the end of the season. But after these three, who will fill the fourth spot? I decided to go with Tig Murphy, it's always fun to get defensemen into these kinds of competitions and his 17 goals are a very impressive mark for a blueliner so I'd expect him to provide much more than just comic relief!

[Image: SHL_faster_Skater.png]
(i know it said 4 but i did 8)

Finland Update Page  Interview  Player Page  Wolfpack

[Image: Snussu.gif]

Thanks to everyone made sigs to me!!!! (Gif made by myself)

NSFL PT

Being selected to participate in the fastest skater competition was a surprise just for the fact that for as fast as I try to be, I don't feel I am as fast as the elite speedsters so I will have to work my ass off to not embarrass myself against such strong competition. I've been working with some of the best speed skaters in the world to perform at my best. I have been doing skating lunges multiple time a day everyday since being chosen for this event, as well as elevated split squats and crossover step ups mixed in between. I feel like I've done all I can do besides cheat... which I had planned to do but the officials learned I was planning on going first just to spill baby oil on the ice as I sped around the ice to cause everyone else to slip and fall making me the winner. Nothing I can do now but skate my ass off and at least not finish last by a huge time different.

As we all know, I don't pay attention to anyone else in this league other than myself. But that doesn't matter because I fully believe that Raquel Castillo Gutierrez could win the "Most Accurate Shot" contest. From a technical and meta standpoint, she has a 90 in scoring. The closest player to her is Bo Kane with 84 scoring. In most simulations, she should be crushing any competition she's up against in the "scoring" category. Then we look over at the actual stats and Rocky is third in the league in goals with 26. While Jagger Fouquette is the actual leader in goalscoring, Rocky has her number on much less shots than Fouquette. There's also the issue of service that may mess with those numbers. With a clean shot at the net, it's assumed by most metrics that Rocky would be an absolute runaway victor in an SMJHL contest for most accurate shot.

[Image: KouSaotomeUndraftedSigSmol.png]
Jamie T Wrote:But I wish I'd been a little more exceptional
And I wish I'd been a little unconventional
But I was not enough, no, I'm not enough

Out of the three possible options, Anthony Archer would most likely be picked for the fastest skater competition. Archer would be spending his days off in the gym on the treadmill, as well as running leg lifts and sprints. On the ice, Archer is spotted after practice working with the coaches skating laps around the rink and running time trials. In between laps he's seen pulling weights and utilizing resistance training while doing on ice sprints off to the side. A lot of emphasis the coach has been putting on Archer is the time he's taking as he crosses over going through the corners. It's an hour after practice and Archer is still on the ice sprinting through cross overs around the faceoff circles. The day before the competition, Archer takes the day off for a full rest and is spotted being carried around everywhere he goes in order to preserve his legs.

Anthony Archer - S49 12th Overall
1x IIHF Silver Medalist (S51)
2x WJC Gold Medalist (S48, S49)
2x Four Star Cup Finalist (S48, S50)
SMJHL: 42G 40A 82P 304HIT // SHL: 17G 17A 34P 326HIT

[Image: AA42.png]

I was surprised to find out that I was selected to participate in the most accurate shot competition. I guess I do have 20 goals this season and the league always tries to add 1 or 2 young players to these events, but still I've never shot above 10% in a season.
Anyway, I had to change my practice a little in preparation for the weekend. Usually I mostly work on one timers or wrist shots on the rush, I just shoot and hope it goes in, but this time I tried to actually aim and hit the target. I wasn't good at it at first but I did better than I expected. On average I was able to hit 5 targets in 15-18 seconds.
On the day of the event I was feeling nervous as it was my first all star weekend, and honestly I just wanted not to embarrass myself. I went hit, hit, miss, miss, miss, miss, hit, miss, hit, hit. So I struggled with the third target a little (middle of the net) but I finished 4th out 8 which I'm happy with.

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]

Code:
Written Option #3: Imagine that your player has been selected to participate in one of the above competitions. Tell us how you'd prepare and train for the challenge and/or tell us about how the competition went for you. (150+ words)

Bobby Lane has always dreamed of playing in the SHL. In one of the variations of that dream, he imagines himself competing in the skills competition. He would love to compete in both fastest skater and most accurate shot, but in reality, he is probably more likely to end up in the most accurate shot competition. At this point in his career, he is already spending extra time working on his shooting accuracy and puck handling on his own. I think all he’d really need to do would be to put in even more extra time and focus solely on his shot. Now, this is still all a fantasy, so in Lane’s version of these events, he does quite well. The reality is that he is nowhere near ready to compete at this level. Even though he takes a lot of pride in his shot, he still has a ways to go before it is at the SHL level.

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!

Code:
Written Option #1: For one of the above competitions, craft your ideal field of 4 contestants to compete in the challenge. Make your case as to why you're choosing these 4 to represent the elitest of the elite in this skill right now. (150+ words)

For the all-star skills competition this season, I've put together a field of the best shootout goaltender candidates. The first goaltender who will be participating is Tampa Bay's Benjamin Blue. Blue is an odd goaltender who can't keep up a solid performance season by season but when he has a hot season, he's hot. He's been one of the best goaltenders this season and will be a force in this competition being that it is an on year. The other goalie selected for the east will be Buffalo's Cedric Robinson. Robinson is on this season for a good team and was selected as such. The first goalie selected for the West is Los Angeles' Knox Booth. The rookie currently has an 875% in shootouts and is selected based on that. The West's second choice is San Francisco's Chris Partridge. Much like Blue, it is hard to deny the goaltender for the best team in the conference.

Code:
156 words

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

Quote:Written Option #3: Imagine that your player has been selected to participate in one of the above competitions. Tell us how you'd prepare and train for the challenge and/or tell us about how the competition went for you. (150+ words)

As Hariken Urawa continues his breakout season for the Colorado Raptors in the SMJHL, we caught up with him to ask him a few questions about the upcoming SHL all-star game and whether he looks forward to participating in an event like that in the future.

"Oh for sure, it would be a lot of fun. The fans really enjoy it, and it's a nice change of pace in the middle of the season," Urawa said at his locker room stall after a morning skate. "Off the ice, most of us are friends with people on other teams, so it's good to have a chance to relax and skate with them without all of the pressure of the season."

When asked which event Urawa would most like to participate in, the young Japanese winger didn't hesitate. "I'd want to be in the most accurate shot competition.

"I just think it's always been my strength as a player. I'm usually pretty accurate even when I come into the zone with speed. I think that's one I could win."

Urawa notes that his own shooting practice that he does after every warm-up puts him in good shape to be a formidable competitor in such an event. "I don't leave the ice ever until I've hit all every post three times. Both bars and the crossbar.

"When I first started doing it, I'd be out there for like 10 minutes at a time. Sometimes I didn't finish and the zamboni would start honking at me to get off. Now I can usually do it in two minutes or less."

[Image: urawa4.jpg]
Special thanks to @Sleepy for the signature

Written Option #1: For one of the above competitions, craft your ideal field of 4 contestants to compete in the challenge. Make your case as to why you're choosing these 4 to represent the elitest of the elite in this skill right now. (150+ words)

Robert Phelps would be perfect for the Most accurate shot. The way he shoots the puck and how accurate he can pick corners with the best of them. He should be able to go 4 for 5 and maybe even 4 for 4 in the target shooting. The stuff I have seen him be able to do in practice is insane and there has been a reason why he has been one of the most consistent players in the league during his career.

Tig Murphy is one of the fastest skaters in the league. the way he can move up and down the ice is amazing and he belongs in this contest in my mind. He skates so fast and so effortless that he would be able to go around the rink in under 14 seconds easy maybe be around 13.5.

Geezus Kryyst is great in stopping breakaways and is one of the better goalies in the league. He is another no brainer pick

Finally I think Gabriel Johnson could be another selection for the most accurate shot contest from the steelhawks.