Create Account

Will There Be a S50 WJC?

Good day everyone! This is Justin Case reporting for the Moosejaw Minute.

We don't actually have any professional hockey teams here in Moosejaw, but I'm sure all five of you that read this and follow the SMJHL are wondering when the WJC will happen. It's been nearly a week since both the SMJHL and SHL champions have been crowned, and we've just seen the SHL S51 draft with the SMJHL to follow shortly. Usually we've heard an announcement by this time but it's been dead silent. For perspective, the IIHF has nearly finished their round robin! The IIHF may finish their entire tournament before we hear anything of, or start the WJC. We are also roughly a week away from the S51 SHL + SMJHL seasons, so even if it was to start tomorrow, could it finish in time for players to return to their main clubs?

Some people are speculating on it being fault of the new commissioner. I'm here to provide you all with impartial and up to date news so I will say that is a possibility. I can confirm that the current commissioner stepped in during the previous season, and with some growing pains helped with the S50 tournament. He is ready to take over, but somehow hasn't gotten around to a schedule. I can't entirely say if he took the pay raise for a cushy job, or has some other more important matters to attend to. People have mentioned he hasn't been around for his regular activities such as sipping tea with his mistress, and taking his wife out for a pint and fresh fish and chips. It is flu season so it's possible our new commissioner is bedridden and has something serious. If this is the case, we here at the Moosejaw Minute wish him all the best. If not, make the schedule you lazy bugger!

Commissioner issues aside, our sources have told us that WJC will be switching to a 10 team format. This means that we'll be seeing teams eliminated before the bracket for the first time in a little bit. Although unbiased in personal affairs and such, we are very partial to the Canadian WJC squad. After a disappointing first round elimination last season, we have high hopes for them headed into this tournament (if it happens). With this generation of players showing how evolved they are in comparison to even just a couple years ago we can't wait to see our bonafied elite centers Bo Kane and Connor Tanner. We're also excited to see this year's captain Ian Venables take over the starting role, but he has at least another year in development to become an elite player in this era. If Canada plays the British Isles again, it will be entirely in Venables hand to show he can out duel Elizabeth Doyle who crushed Canada's hope the previous season.

Of course like every year, anything short of a gold medal is disappointing for any Canadian hockey player. If the S50 WJC comes to fruition we wish our Canada boys the best and to any international readers, we wish you a fun time with no injuries. Thank you for taking the time out of your day, dear reader. This was Justin Case, reporter and hopeful WJC viewer.

[Image: jrousseau.gif]
[Image: j7ebBxQ.png] [Image: FbT2Pb1.png]
Canada Knights Canada Knights Canada
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2019, 05:57 AM by puolivalmiste.)

I think that playing on IIHF and WJC at same time last season didn't improve my performance so I hope we don't have same problem this season.

Edit: Feel like I need to add that performance at IIHF was one suffering as WJC49 was most likely highes points/game of Björn's career

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me