Create Account

Fight erupts at the Saloon as Anaheim starts off with a bang! (844 words)
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2019, 06:05 PM by Chevy.)

Orange County Register, Anaheim, California
Written by: Peter Croslen

Youth is often synonymous with vigor and intensity, and last nights pre-season opener for the Anaheim Outlaws was no different.  Having seven of their eight rookies slated to start, something was bound to happen.

Rookie winger Paolo Tavano decided just six minutes into the first period to make his presence known throughout the SMJHL by instigating a knockdown fight against Detroit rookie center Luke McMaster.  The fight prompted penalty minutes for both teams and an ejection for Tavano which left the crowd, and bench, energized for the rest of the period.  When asked about the rookie's ejection, Assistant Captain Ivan Maximus had the following to say:

Quote:You know how it gets out there.  Tempers can flare and sometimes things get a bit out of hand.  I think McMaster came up with what Paolo thought was a bit of a cheap shot and when he asked him if he wanted to go McMaster said yes.  Paolo was just letting them know we are here to play a physical game and wont just roll over when pushed  a bit.  And you know, it adds a bit of energy to the team when something like that happens.  Makes you want to go out there and get things done.  

Meanwhile Detroit, unamused by the situation, was able to capitalize on the first of six powerplays given to them by Anaheim throughout the evening and take an early 1-0 lead in the first period.  That lead would end up being short lived as the Outlaws came firing back in the second period three goals to one.  Veteran players John Hawke, Leonid Kofix and Kevin Robinson all found the back of the net with assists from Petrenko, Zimmerman, Owens, and McLeod.

Powerplay opportunities for the Outlaws were left in the dust of the old west as they were unable to capitalize on both of their attempts while Detroit was able to pounce on the puck for two more goals in the second and third periods.  Both times, coming from the powerplay.  Assistant captain Maximus had this to say:

Quote:Unfortunately we fell on the PK and were never able to get things back together again, but it goes that way sometimes.  It's preseason and the guys are itching to go and as we work through the new dynamics things will continue to look better.

Overall, though the rookie lineup for the Outlaws showed much promise being sprinkled in among the teams veteran player base.  Rookie goaltender Strom Chamberlain, when asked about his first appearance in the minors had this to offer:

Quote:You know, it is so far different than the farm leagues that there's really no comparison.  All week, including the announced delays were filled full of team training, individual training and classwork.  Classwork over plays and film study.  That's just something that really doesn't go down in the farm league.  Also the stuff they do up here is insane.  They really work you hard to get you ready for game time, and I know we're really only one game in but it shows.  I feel much more confident between the pipes now than I ever did back home in Missouri.  I know that the lines will probably be shuffled up a bit as we figure things out, but with the forwards and defense that we have, especially tonight, I feel like I could take on the world as a netminder. 

Right winger Raquel Castillo Gutierrez sealed the deal in the third period for the Outlaws with the eventual game winning goal, assisted by Riley and Hendricks.  Detroit also scored, but it was too little, too late for the Falcons.

The first win at this level for many of the young players in Anaheim will be short lived as they head off next to the Gateway to the West in an old-fashioned gunfight against the St. Louis Scarecrows.  With one ejection and 27 penalty minutes already in the pre-season books for Anaheim, hopefully the coaching staff will be able to harness and re-direct the energy in a more productive direction.

Game Summary
1st Star: Leonid Kofix (ANA)
2nd Star: Kevin Robinson (ANA)
3rd Star: Joakim Ohlund (DET)

Anaheim Point Leaders:  Kofix (2)
Goalie Stats: Chamberlain (18/21, .857)

Shots on Goal: Anaheim (37), Detroit (21)

Anaheim 4 - Detroit 3