Create Account

SHL in a slump?

What is going on in the league? Feels staled and quiet? SHL feels like a place that has always been there, something you do because you have always done it. One day you wake up and start to think why you are doing this thing again? That is SHL right now. Is that just me who feels like that?

The easy and obvious answer is the sim engine talks, that has put a large cloud on top of SHL, no denying that, but I can't help to think and wonder what kind of effect the ´new´ conduct policy has on everything when it comes down to people posting here. Where is everybody? Not posting to the forum that is for sure. This place is now like the comment section of your favorite online news site - tame and lame. Which is fine, BUT perhaps the leadership of SHL failed to realize that being able to act like a douche was a big force behind SHL´s success?

I see very little ´nice´ chatter going on in terms of serious discussion on whatever, why is that? Could it be that hockey simulation forum is not the best place to have serious conversations, could it be that hockey simulation forum is better suited for colorful commentating that allows people to be douches if they want to?

Looking at the bigger picture, the league as a product is worse than before, the one thing the SHL did pretty well was keeping people posting on the site, now that has moved to Discord and I´m not just talking about the locker rooms, I´m talking about general chatting about the league that used to be on the site, the hot takes on whatever, the arguing used to be public, now those are behind closed doors, is that not worrying at all? People come in to check the sims, do a PT, update and they are out. Sure, there have always been users who do that, but at what point you start to wonder why the forums feel quiet?

Where are all the people who wanted to see strict policy on what kind of discussion is ok in SHL? Why are they not posting to the forums? Did we once again see somebody bend over for a vocal minority and all for nothing?

Instead of accepting SHL for what it is, a place where you can use colorful language and be toxic if you want to, SHL has turned into a place where everybody agrees with each other. Shame really when you think about it, turned your back to what made the place great and from what I have seen very little is done to build the place back up with these new pieces and ideas. Maybe the potentially new sim engine brings excitement and life back to the forums, but I doubt it.

The good old days will never come back. One more forum lost to the social justice warriors who by the looks of it wont even use the forum. That is nice. (505)

I DISAGREE!!!!! FUCK YOU YOU PIECE OF SHIT GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!!! ALSO I HATE WOMEN AND ALL MINORITIES!!!!!!

Is that better for u?

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

Main issue is with the sim engine situation. It's pushed a lot of interest away from long time veterans and younger members alike.

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

01-07-2020, 08:51 AMcpetrella Wrote: I DISAGREE!!!!! FUCK YOU YOU PIECE OF SHIT GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!!! ALSO I HATE WOMEN AND ALL MINORITIES!!!!!!

Is that better for u?
Not feeling it, but thanks for trying still!

01-07-2020, 08:52 AMZoone16 Wrote: Main issue is with the sim engine situation. It's pushed a lot of interest away from long time veterans and younger members alike.

I get that and I would be lying if I said I don´t feel the same way, but even then the forums do not feel the same.

01-07-2020, 08:52 AMZoone16 Wrote: Main issue is with the sim engine situation. It's pushed a lot of interest away from long time veterans and younger members alike.

I see more the issue in the way this all was wrote about STHS! because that means all seasons before are crap! that is the opinion of many members! it was a rush and hard reaction to come up with that issue and if then the most dont know about it .... it will lack the activity ... of course! what happens there? and when? and how? what is if? or this? why?

we have many open questions and that is always really bad and risky for a community. to be an asshole isnt be needed! I believe I can talk about this case with my experience to be an asshole for around 30 seasons. that isnt the mistake!

but the "newer" members they brought it up instead to talk with older people first .... didnt saw that .... EH WE PLAYED WITH THE STHS 50 SEASONS AND NOW ITS CRAP? because that is a view of the most of us older members! the STHS got so heavily destroyed in the public that it looks like the first 50 Seasons were crap and are now senseless. why? because it was with the STHS sim engine.

we still have some problems with the FHM what we heard/read ... and that also means they must be cleared! if that is done then we could move to FHM! but you should always try to be diplomatic and think about your words you write about a sim engine it was running over 8 years. I always said I am not against the sim engine switch ... that is true! but the way how it was written down and explained said only .... STHS is crap and that isnt true! they way we handle our player types and max capped skills is the problem! yes there is a problem with some skills. but with rules that is all manageable and we shouldnt forget this fact.

make it sense? that is an other question! But I must agree that this 0% information over weeks could kill some member of activity and also will do it! they better did that what some members had written in the past as the topic came up ... a member who can bring it up to the community with some infos and updates! because that is what the community need ... info about the way the SHL will go! It dont make sense after all if you being here and dont know or understand what is wrong with STHS and if its cursed or maybe there is a way to clear it up!? many still dont know all things!? why? they werent always online and dont read all ... they just wondered about some comments they see and that looks like DRAMA .... we should maybe look in ourselves and maybe try to look inside to all others ... how you would react if you would be JRuutu and write down here his thoughts and opinions about the reason that the SHL looks like dying? I like it that member come up and explain their thoughts and opinions because you have always more than only ONE problem in a community/league.

thank you @jRuutu for your thoughts and opinions Smile

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

its not that deep, an outdated forum which hasnt been a relevant form of communication since like 2007 at the latest is why no one’s talking here. Discords are all still bumping, talking on here just straight up isnt fun or viable unless its a big thread where everyone is involved and cant miss whats happening

[Image: bjobin2.png]
[Image: 9tINabI.png][Image: c97iD9R.png]

**First GM in SMJHL history to win 3 Four Star Cups back-to-back-to-back**

someone brought to me a topic up that is for me very questionable ....
Topic Discord!
if you have there members in the discord team server (called LR) they never ever was part of the team ..... then they shouldnt be there! if so then only as alumni ... why?
the member could be convinced because of that and decide to want out of an other team or easily leave an other team via Free Agency! why?
because he know already the team and see there are no fights or attack against/with him!
all in all is that for me very aggressive convincing of other players = tampering!
if you have alumnis listed as alumnis ... that is legit because the main channels should be available for them! that isnt a private chat room ... that are the official TEAM LR and there should only be on the roster players + prospects + alumnis! nothing more!
here in the forum it isnt possible to have member on the Team LR if they arent on the team and that with a reason! for that a seperate Discipline Committee could work on it! loyal and honestly members (one per team) who looking at those cases! that isnt good and shouldnt be allowed in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Challenge Cup Wins:

Four Star Cup Wins:

01-07-2020, 09:18 AMnour Wrote: its not that deep, an outdated forum which hasnt been a relevant form of communication since like 2007 at the latest is why no one’s talking here. Discords are all still bumping, talking on here just straight up isnt fun or viable unless its a big thread where everyone is involved and cant miss whats happening

That is fine, I´m not saying you need to move everything here, but some discussion would be nice in the forums. After all, the site is the first thing people see. Not a good look when there is not that much going on.

01-07-2020, 09:35 AMjRuutu Wrote:
01-07-2020, 09:18 AMnour Wrote: its not that deep, an outdated forum which hasnt been a relevant form of communication since like 2007 at the latest is why no one’s talking here. Discords are all still bumping, talking on here just straight up isnt fun or viable unless its a big thread where everyone is involved and cant miss whats happening

That is fine, I´m not saying you need to move everything here, but some discussion would be nice in the forums. After all, the site is the first thing people see. Not a good look when there is not that much going on.

so true

Challenge Cup Wins:

Four Star Cup Wins:

Said it for a long time, shitstorms and thunder domes are good for activity, always have been. The more quiet it gets around here, the less people spend time on the boards, leading to more quiet. It's a vicious circle at this point.

Combine that with the scoring / passing debacle. Mix in the tone deaf way some people want to talk about STHS and here we are.

Everyone hides in their own little private spaces on Discord and we have no real community.

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

01-07-2020, 09:41 AMSlappydoodle Wrote: Said it for a long time, shitstorms and thunder domes are good for activity, always have been. The more quiet it gets around here, the less people spend time on the boards, leading to more quiet. It's a vicious circle at this point.

Combine that with the scoring / passing debacle. Mix in the tone deaf way some people want to talk about STHS and here we are.

Everyone hides in their own little private spaces on Discord and we have no real community.

Semi-Private spaces. Legal department told me i couldn't shut myself out of everything. Something about "part of a team with other people".

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

01-07-2020, 09:41 AMSlappydoodle Wrote: Mix in the tone deaf way some people want to talk about STHS and here we are.

What do you mean by this?

[Image: Grapehead.gif]
TY NOKA AND VALOR FOR THESE WORKS OF ART
Player Page | Update Page

Stars Battleborn Czechia

The whole off season thing killed a lot of interest for me personally. Feel like I'm just dragging my player towards 2k now.

If I wasn't a GM it's likely I would have gone inactive.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

ROAR!!! I IS TEH ACTIVITEE GENERATER 3000!!!!1!!1!11!!!!1!!1111!!1!!!!!!!!11!!

[Image: x9gTXZa.gif]

S48 Four Star Cup Champion (Vancouver Whalers)

01-07-2020, 10:08 AMTheHockeyist Wrote: ROAR!!! I IS TEH ACTIVITEE GENERATER 3000!!!!1!!1!11!!!!1!!1111!!1!!!!!!!!11!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Challenge Cup Wins:

Four Star Cup Wins: