Create Account

S53 SMJHL DRAFT REVIEW - X2 MEDIA

15th March was the day which all SMJHL rookies waited for. Now it's already behind us and now we can look back at draft and see what these teams did right and wrong on draft. I was one of few people who actually got most players of mock draft right (five total) and I think I have that ''juice'' and voice to talk about draft. We already saw my previous medias, so now it's time to look back at this draft and make some review.

Before we start - I am surprised that few players was drafted so high, but Konrad Danke, Tanke Jutila etc., was drafted so late. Anyway... I will not make very big intro or speak about some other stuff and we will just jump in this review. 

[Image: cut.jpg]

1st round, 1st pick (1st overall) - Maine Timber Timber selects Mikkel Asmus Sondergaard ( @Rabidsponge21 )
Teams choice: Pretty obvious
Rating of their choice: 10/10 - right choice
I think, there is nothing shocking here. Mikkel Asmus Sondergaard was projected to be 1st overall pick all pre-draft time and now it happened. He was 1st in TPE race and he deserved that 1st overall pick. There was few people who thought that Sondergaard may be not 1st pick, but I think that was pretty obvious that Timber would select most TPE defender available. No risk for this pick and they did right choice.

1st round, 2nd pick (2nd overall) - Anchorage Armada Armada selects Matthew Sawful ( @SAwful )
Teams choice: Shocking
Rating of their choice: 8/10 - good choice
I will not lie - Matthew Sawful is not the worst choice, but at the same time there was better choices than him at this type of moment when draft only begin. Sawful is pretty good defender, but Armada selecting him, shocked a lot of users, in my opinion. Sawful wasn't even in TOP 10 in TPE race and wasn't ultra active. He's activity is decent, but I projected to go him as a late 1st rounder. He surprised me and went as a 2nd overall pick. Congratulations to this fella and I hope that he will not let Anchorage Armada down.

1st round, 3rd pick (3rd overall) - Newfoundland Berserkers Berserkers select PBJ Souppan ( @thevoicelesscreator )
Rating of their choice: 9/10 - very good choice
I think it was pretty big shock for Souppan aswell. He was basically #9 at mock drafts and told me that don't know where he will get drafted. After that, he got drafted 3rd overall by Berserkers. Plus, Konrad Danke and Daniel Laforest was both pretty confident that they will be drafted by Berserkers, but here we have some shocking draft stuff. PBJ Souppan is really good player, but I think even he didn't believe to get drafted so high. Same with Sawful, I think. But I hope both of these fellas gonna prove that they are amazing and future of SHL.

1st round, 4th pick (4th overall) - Kelowna Knights Knights select Simon Takshak ( @GeckoeyGecko )
Teams shoice: Pretty obvious
Rating of their choice: 9/10 - very good choice
Takshak and some other people was pretty confident that Takshak will go as 1st overall pick. To be honest, I thought it will be pretty risky to take him as a first pick. Even if he is re-create, he still retired with previous player and can do it anytime again with new player. If he will not do it, Kelowna Knights will definitely win this draft with this pick, beause Simon Takshak is one of few players with experience. 

1st round, 5th pick (5th overall) - Vancouver Whalers Whalers select Cal Covid ( @Skeleton Party )
Rating of their choice: 7/10 - player have to prove himself
This was some interesting choice from Vancouver Whalers. I think that everybody who thought that if some goalie will be picked in 1st round, it will be Cale Amundsen, but Cal Covid proved them wrong. Cal wasn't most active or most hyped up player. He didn't post very much and it was pretty shocking that Whalers selected him so fast. Hopefully, he will prove other teams that he was worth of so high pick.

1st round, 6th pick (6th overall) - Colorado Raptors Raptors select Aumy Jr. ( @st4rface )
Teams choice: I expected that  Yay
Rating of their choice: Can't give a rating for picking me
To be honest, I had that feeling that Raptors will draft me. I wasn't sure if in 1st round, but they didn't had a 2nd round selection and I guess, didn't want to risk with losing me. Anyway - I am happy to be where I am - on Raptors roster. I was in talk with Outlaws, Timber, Whalers and Raptors before draft and I am happy that I ended up on Colorado. Can't give a rating for picking me, but I think they will be happy that they picked me on this draft.

1st round, 7th pick (7th overall) - Kelowna Knights Knights select Daniel Laforest ( @Snoopdogg )
Ending of 1st round and there are less and less active and good players. Daniel Laforest was one of them and I think it's pretty obvious choice by Kelowna Knights. Kelowna had two choices in 1st round and I think they did didn't fail with any of these picks. Daniel Laforest is active, doing his stuff and I think that Knights did a right choice for them.

1st round, 8th pick (8th overall) - Detroit Falcons Falcons select Joseph Fantobens ( @Fantobens )
I am pretty shocked that actually Fantobens was taken so late. Draft was full of surprises and I can only repeat how whocked I am about what happen. Fantobens is a great and more important - active player. I think this was right choice for Falcons aswell. To be honest, it's hard to make wrong choice in 1st round, because there are some pretty amazing players and to choose wrong in 1st round... that would be some pretty bad GM mistake. 

1st round, 9th pick (9th overall) - St. Louis Scarecrows Scarecrows select William Lockwood ( @Lockwood )
Rating of their choice: 10/10 - right choice, but shocking choice
William Lockwood wasn't that hyped up name at this draft. He didn't made a lot of updates aswell, but made some medias and was active on discord. William Lockwood definitely deserved to be picked in 1st round and I can congratulate him about it! In mock drafts he was late 2nd rounder or even not picked in first two rounds, be here we are. St. Louis Scarecrows did great scouting and choose great player with bright future. This was basically last pick of 1st round and I am pretty shocked how it ended.

1st round, 10th pick (10th overall) - Anaheim Outlaws Outlaws pick was forfeited
Doing some illegal stuff, costed Outlaws 1st round pick for this draft. They could do some crazy stuff with this pick, but they didn't have it...

2nd round, 1st pick (11th overall) - Maine Timber Timber select Konrad Danke ( @JHS )
Rating of their choice: 10/10 - right choice, but pretty shocking that Danke was drafted so late
Konrad Danke was projected to be a loterry pick, but ended as a early 2nd round pick. Pretty obvious choice by Maine Timber and definitely a little draft steal. This is what I said about Outlaws - if they would have their pick, imagine what would happen. They would have opportunity to take Konrad Danke, Tinke Jutila or any other great player left. Danke will definitely help Timber to be good this season.

2nd round, 2nd pick (12th overall) - Anchorage Armada Armada select Scoochie Stratton ( @honkerrs )
Teams choice: Unexpected
Rating of their choice: 6/10 - unexpected choice, because there was still some great players and possible draft steals
Pretty risky choice. New member, don't have profile picture, activity from him kinda weird. Rating of their choice so low, only because they had opportunity to take some more active players. I don't know if it was bad scouting or really choice that they was confident about, but they had opportunity to do better. Anyway - they made their choice and we will see how Stratton will work for this team and can he show hockey world that he is really good.

2nd round, 3rd pick (13th overall) - Newfoundland Berserkers Berserkers select Cale Amundsen ( @Wally )
Recreate with pretty low risk to be an inactive. Cale Amundsen was greatest goalie of this draft class and I am surprised that he was taken so low. Of course, we can understand that, because a lot of teams didn't even need a goalie, but still. Right choice for Berserkers. Good luck, young fella!

2nd round, 4th pick (14th overall) - Kelowna Knights Knights select Devin Williams ( @MrRuihu )
Rating of their choice: 6/10 - unexpected and shocking choice, because there was still some good players
He have only 24 TPE and few of them is after draft earned. If Kelowna won 1st round, then they have lost 2nd round at this moment. Devin Williams have that power to be good and prove that I made mistake by saying that Knights made mistake, but... I still think that Knights could've picked some other player. There was still Jutila, though. I don't know if this was choice because of bad scouting or choice because of they really thought this is the right choice. Who knows?

2nd round, 5th pick (15th overall) - St. Louis Scarecrows Scarecrows select Richard Majors ( @Hefe4711 )
Teams choice: Understandable
Rating of their choice: 8/10 - good choice, but could've been better
Richard Majors is active player and definitely a good choice for this team, but draft still had Tinke Jutila. At the same time, choice is pretty understandable, because of Majors activity. Activity in trainings, activity in media. What more you can expect for middle 2nd rounder? But I think he have more to prove and he got that ''juice'' to do that. He will show that he was much better than 15th overall pick in this draft.

2nd round, 6th pick (16th overall) - Vancouver Whalers Whalers select Ryosuke Sato ( @Dextaria )
Teams choice: Decent
Rating of their choice: 7/10 - decent choice, but could've been better
May be a future draft steal, but at the same time - risky to take him, because doesn't post so much and he is a new member. This isn't wrong choice definitely. Got decent amount of TPE and pretty good player. Whalers did some good scouting.

2nd round, 7th pick (17th overall) - Anaheim Outlaws Outlaws select Emilia Bergmann ( @Renomitsu )
Teams choice: Decent
Rating of their choice: 7/10 - decent choice, but could've been better
Pretty decent choice and good scouting. Making updates, but ain't so active other wise. Good luck to this fella. Anaheim used their highest pick very good. Emilia Bergmann can be a really good help for Outlaws on upcoming season.

2nd round, 8th pick (18th overall) - Maine Timber Timber select Patrick Shepherd ( @Cobbenstein )
Teams choice: Good
Rating of their choice: 8/10 - good choice, but still had some other choices
I don't know if I am very sceptical about a lot of players, but I think Timber could've made a better choice aswell. But at the same time - Shepherd was one of players which had that chance to be a loterry pick. If he was more active before this draft, Shepherd would be a 1st rounder or even a lottery pick, but now he was late 2nd rounder. Don't know what to expect from this player. I can just wish best for him!

2nd round, 9th pick (19th overall) - Maine Timber Timber select Leo Bloomfield ( @BloomeyGB )
Teams choice: Bad
Rating of their choice: 2/10 - bad scouting at this point
GM of Maine Timber had so much to do before this draft and he did good, but he literally failed with this pick. You can ask - what else you want from this late pick, right? But if they would do much better scouting, they would see that there is still available one player that was picked with next pick. Pretty bad choice, because Bloomfield literally is inactive already, with 2 total posts maded on forum.

2nd round, 10th pick (20th overall) - Newfoundland Berserkers Berserkers select Tinke Jutila ( @Snussu )
Teams choice: Pretty obvious, amazing and best possible choice
Rating of their choice: 11/10
11/10. Draft steal and I don't know how other GM's let it slip. Tinke Jutila was projected 1st rounder, maybe even lottery pick, but ended as a 20th overall pick. Berserkers was probably sweating before Timber picks and didn't believe that they will have a chance to get Tinke Jutila. Definitely a draft steal and future of SHL. Still can't get over a fact, that this player was drafted so late. Good job, Berserkers! Best of luck to Jutila. Hope he will get motivated by this low pick and work harder. 

Winners of this draft: Maine Timber Timber , Newfoundland Berserkers Berserkers , Kelowna Knights Knights 
Losers of this draft: can't see pretty big losers
Not winners, but not losers either of this draft: Carolina Kraken Kraken 
Draft steals: Konrad Danke, Tinke Jutila

Resume: I think that all teams did pretty good work with scouting, but at the same time did mistake by not drafting Tinke Jutila. Timber, Berserkers, Knights did best possible work. At the same time, Timber could've done better with that late 2nd round picks. Raptors and Whalers did good aswell, but Kraken had no high picks. Pretty interesting draft with some draft steals and unexpected picks aswell.

I can't see pretty other big names or draft steals after 2nd round, so I think that review of first two rounds will be pretty good anyway. Best of luck to anyone on SMJHL S53. I think all of these players can prove that they are future of SHL and hockey in general. Keep grinding! Have a nice day! Work hard, earn TPE and don't get bothered by pick you got drafted. Spend money in getting your player better! 

2300+ words

Stars Stars Stars
[Image: aumy3.png]

Devin Williams will prove you wrong.

Knights

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

03-16-2020, 04:53 AMKatth Wrote: Devin Williams will prove you wrong.

Knights
Will be happy to see that! Active and good players are what this league needs. Smile

Stars Stars Stars

Thanks for the love man, good luck to you.
By the way Great analysis

This was a good article! I liked that you weren't afraid to be skeptical about picks, but you were also always positive and hoping that if you were negative about a person, that they would turn out well and prove you wrong!

[Image: zNTg4Ew.png]
thanks @suavemente !

Nice work and breakdowns of the team choices.

[Image: Snoopdogg.gif]
    [Image: d9J5DHT.png]        norway      [Image: d9J5DHT.png]

I rate your Armada ratings:

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

Interesting take here, looking forward to seeing how all the picks will pan out. Knights

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]

03-16-2020, 08:33 AMAcsolap Wrote: I rate your Armada ratings:

Or maybe that's how you rate Armadas performance on previous season?  Rolleyes

Stars Stars Stars

03-16-2020, 05:32 AMJHS Wrote: This was a good article! I liked that you weren't afraid to be skeptical about picks, but you were also always positive and hoping that if you were negative about a person, that they would turn out well and prove you wrong!
Thanks, pal! I will be happy to see these players be good in future. I am just sceptical, but as I said - I will be happy and I hope that they will prove me wrong. At the end of the day, we are all just friends! Thanks for showing love to my media! Smile

Stars Stars Stars

03-16-2020, 08:47 AMst4rface Wrote:

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

03-16-2020, 08:47 AMst4rface Wrote:

[Image: b90769b97060edb963ca62a48e6713cf.jpg]

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

Nice article, glad to have you!  Raptors Raptors Raptors

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

Great read! PBJ is shocked to have gone #3, and he has a lot of work to do to ensure that sort of trust carries over into the season

[Image: bouch22.jpg?ex=65381617&is=6525a117&hm=6...178839271&] [Image: VGl3CB4.png]

You'll see that there were bunch of steals past the first two rounds. I can already think of three in the Carolina Kraken  Kraken Kraken Kraken

Doing a podcast, ask me any question: HERE
[Image: unknown.png][Image: sig.png][Image: viticek.png]
Thanks to @caltroit_red_flames and @sve7en for these amazing sigs!