Create Account

SHN Power Rankings S53: 1st Edition
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2020, 08:04 PM by Nhamlet.)

Simulation Hockey Network
[Image: unknown.png]

From Dates
2019-10-04 - 2019-10-22
(3/30/20 -> 4/3/20)

[Image: 16.png]

There isn’t much to say for the North Stars who have been beaten up in just about every game, only showing the league's worst corsi and a goal differential so bad, our data is becoming distorted on the graphs. Their main bright spots have been Harry Carpet who could make an argument as MVP being the only reason why they haven’t been relegated to the J and their powerplay has been effective whenever they’ve had their opportunities.

[Image: 15.png]

Originally being 16th with a lacklustre preseason performance, Tampa Bay showed that at least for the time being they aren’t the worst team in the league. They managed to accomplish this be getting the one thing Toronto doesn’t have right now: a win. There’s a lot of excitement still for the most recent draft class to join the organization and they’ll mostly hold onto this as a highlight for this season. Also, have to imagine that the plan for 200 TPE players hasn’t worked out for them so far.

[Image: 14.png]

While WKP is also in the winless club for the moment, they still have been able to remain relatively competitive enough to keep themselves in games past 60 minutes and pick up points along the way. As for being blown out, there was only one game in which they lost by a 5 goal difference. The greatest struggle is the ability to generate chances as they’re the third worst team right now. However with a few chances as they’ve made, they’ve converted even less being the last in the league.

[Image: 13.png]

Things are looking fairly decently for them. White Goodman is leading the way as a rookie being 4th in save percentage, 2nd in GSAA and somehow league average in GAA despite facing above average shots attempts against per game. This does result in a higher PDO than some of the higher rated teams but doesn’t mean much for them until they do pull out the wins.

[Image: 12.png]

While they have been able to take advantage of the other teams below them in securing some relatively easy wins, there hasn’t been much else for them to be talk positively about. Minneosta has a bottom 2 forward group, in terms of both TPE and performance, and currently their defenseman are trying to carry the team. Tegernako kept them relevant in the preseason, so they'll be looking to him to steal more games, but he's not getting a tremendous amount of help as it currently stands.

[Image: 11.png]

The league so far is pretty clearly broken down into an upper tier of teams, and lower tier. WPG is currently the best of the lower tier. Defensively, they're almost at the league average, both in terms of performance and team build ratings, but if the offense doesn't start producing soon, Minnesota or Texas could start to overtake them. They’ve kept themselves in games against better teams but also have been blown out so it’s hard to get a sense of how good or bad they are.

[Image: 10.png]

Buffalo games are probably fun to watch the PBP for, as both them and their opponent typically take an above average amount of shot attempts per game, and Buffalo has the second highest goals scored to show for it, as well as below average goals against. They've had a pretty tough schedule so far, playing HAM 3x, NEW, MAN, LAP, SFP, CHI, so despite where they sit in the standings, they've performed pretty well all things considered. Their next handful of games include TBB multiple times and Toronto so expect them to make a bounce back record wise.

[Image: 9.png]

After a rough start, the defending champs have won 5 of their last 6, and still have one of the highest overall TPE rosters. They have a strong corsi, and their defense isn't giving up many chances. However they haven’t been able to make as many key saves despite the lack of shots against comparatively. With wins against Chicago and Hamilton recently, they may be getting back on track. Like most of us who believed in them, we’re hoping it’s sooner than later or else my fantasy group will punish me for it.

[Image: 8.png]

The Panthers have probably one of the most disappointing showings to start the new FHM era in the regular season, not because they did poorly so far but their preseason was so promising. They have had a fairly soft schedule so far explaining why they have some inflated shot totals in their favor. In the rest of their games, they performed somewhat underwhelmingly against similar or better competition. Booth (G) has consistently been great for them so far.

[Image: 7.png]

NOL is currently being carried by the highest performing goalie tandem in the league between Cain and Primeau. Both goalies are top 3 in save percentage and GSAA, as well top 4 in GAA. They've had what may be the easiest schedule in the league so far, playing TOR twice, WPG twice, TEX, WKP, and TBB, and a lot of these games they just won by a goal. They have too much talent up front to not see more goal production as they sit in the middle of the league for goals scored.

[Image: 6.png]

Chicago started off the season on fire, winning 7 of 8, with those victories being pretty resounding. But back to back losses against Winnipeg and Manhattan cooled them off a bit. For a team with one of the league's worse defensive builds, they're not giving up many shot attempts against, which is good because their goaltending stats as of now are pretty much squarely league average. They do seem to live off the backs of scoring more than their opponents so when they can get the engine going they’re a terrifying team to face.

[Image: 5.png]

Calgary is yet again finding themselves up near the top of the SHL standings. They're a great team offensively; generating the 3rd most shot attempts and goals in the league. They have one of the lowest rated 'defensive' builds in the league (again, not their defensive core specifically, but their defensive attributes in the player builder as a team), but are only giving up and average amount of shot attempts, and Vilde is doing a great job in net to mitigate most of those chances while the rest of the forwards are carrying the load offensively with the team tied in 3rd for goals scored so far.

[Image: 4.png]

The Steelhawks started off hotter than any other team, winning their first 6 games, but have lost 3 of their last 5 to follow up. It has been against teams such as Buffalo, Manhattan and New England so that can’t entirely be taken in a negative view. They don't have any 'weak link' players with very low TPE, and they've already proven they can beat tough opponents like Calgary and New England. Flacko Lagerfield has provided the key offense to a stingy defensive team scoring 13 goals at the time of this power ranking.

[Image: 3.png]

Ranking third on the list, Edmonton has shown themselves to be defensively stout with the weaker schedule they’ve had so far. The biggest tests have been Calgary x2, San Francisco, Buffalo and Los Angeles where they have kept things close even with losses in a few of those games. Edmonton is tied for the most points in the league with the least amount of games played. One internal tiebreaker between them and 2nd was that the Pride have performed well with a slightly tougher schedule.

[Image: 2.png]

San Francisco is playing well against some tough competition so far with huge statement wins over Buffalo and Calgary. They're one of few teams solidly in the well above average corsi range, and find themselves on a 5 game winning streak. They're getting great play from their defensive pairing of Bork and Schieck, and still remain one of the highest overall 'build ratings' teams.

[Image: 1.png]

NEW has the most potent offense in the SHL right now, and are getting good defense to back it up as well. They have the best corsi ratio in the league, goals scored in the league, and 3 of the top 4 point producers. Their powerplay may be unsustainably good right now, but if they keep scoring at the same rate, they'll be sitting at number 1 for a while. Fantasy star Ola Wagstrom has been a key factor but not the only reason as other team members like van Otter and McShotty have also helped carry the load.

[Image: blackbg.png]

Team Graphs

These first two graphs simply show each team’s place in the standings after each game they played. The first graph shows the cumulative preseason points, while the second graph shows how far ahead/behind a team is relative to the league average points per game

These two graphs depict how highly rated each team is in certain categories compared to the rest of the league. These ratings aren’t based on TPE purely, but rather how each player spent their points and upgraded each ability, basically their player build. The first graph, the polar chart, shows how highly rated each team is on average in the 4 skater categories on the player builder, as well as average goalie ratings from their builds.

The boxplots show 'bulked' data for each team in the corresponding stat on the y axis. (The only stat that's not intuitive is that average rating refers to each player's FHM attribute ratings averaged into one value). The boxplots encapsulate all the player's for each team and group them into one object. Each dot in the boxplot (or outliers outside of them) represent a player on the team, and what value they performed at for the specific stat. The box captures the 25%-75% range of all player data, the 'whiskers' extend to show the extreme players, and any dots outside are outlier points (outliers really mean nothing in this scenario, the point isn't for statistics as much as just visualizing the range of each team). The line in the middle of each box represents the median value for each Team, broken down by position. The horizontal dotted lines represent the league average value for the stat in question for each forwards and D. Basically, we can think of the boxplots as the distribution or range for each team and position for whatever stat we're looking at

Individual Graphs

Quote:Please split pay among @"Smalinowski7", @jeffie43 and myself

As always, credits to @sve7en for the graphics and @"Smalinowski7" for the graphs

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

Those graphics are sick!

[Image: lebbish.gif]

nerf Wagstrom

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Loving all the graphs, I hope you do the meme where toronto goes below the x axis in the points above league average graph

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

04-04-2020, 07:09 PMgoldenglutes Wrote: Loving all the graphs, I hope you do the meme where toronto goes below the x axis in the points above league average graph

I love that meme on the hockey subreddit. Just enough to be 1st in the West lol

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

SFP BestFP

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

These graphics are orgasmic

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget

Not terrible, not great.

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies

Toronto is higher than 17th?????

04-04-2020, 08:04 PMbbjygm Wrote: These graphics are orgasmic
I saw you repped me, which I appreciate, but I want to clarifty: I only do the graphics. The graphs are all @"Smalinowski7"

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

04-04-2020, 10:49 PMsve7en Wrote:
04-04-2020, 08:04 PMbbjygm Wrote: These graphics are orgasmic
I saw you repped me, which I appreciate, but I want to clarifty: I only do the graphics. The graphs are all @"Smalinowski7"

Yeah but the power rankings graphics are all you, and they're what distinguishes this piece apart from just being a numbered list.

AKA: no u

[Image: smalinowski7.gif]
Sigs: Thanks JNH, Lime, Carpy, and ckroyal92 

Love these articles, can't wait to read more from the SHN

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

Nice looks great

[Image: Snoopdogg.gif]
    [Image: d9J5DHT.png]        norway      [Image: d9J5DHT.png]

04-04-2020, 11:15 PMSmalinowski7 Wrote:
04-04-2020, 10:49 PMsve7en Wrote: I saw you repped me, which I appreciate, but I want to clarifty: I only do the graphics. The graphs are all @"Smalinowski7"

Yeah but the power rankings graphics are all you, and they're what distinguishes this piece apart from just being a numbered list.

AKA: no u

No us

04-04-2020, 11:19 PMBriedaqueduc Wrote: Love these articles, can't wait to read more from the SHN

We will keep on making more, don’t you worry