Create Account

S53 SMJHL PT #3 - Settling In

04-05-2020, 11:36 PMGwdjohnson Wrote: The season is in full swing now, and you're in the thick of the SMJHL lifestyle. How have things been so far in your major junior hockey career?

Written option: Talk about how you have settled into life so far in the SMJHL, on and/or off the ice. How have you performed in this early portion of the season? Has the level of play been a huge adjustment? Are they enjoying the city itself? (These aren't questions you're required to answer; they're just possible prompts) (150+ words).

Graphic option: Make a graphic illustrating how your player has performed in the early part of this season. Must include a photo of your player/render, and five individual statistics of your player so far.

Reward
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one, not both.)

Only S53 SMJHL Rookies (S54 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT.

Link PBE or NSFL submissions here to get credit for Welfare claims.

You cannot claim TPE for this PT until a post is made in the global claim thread.

Deadline
Sunday April 12th @ 11:59 PM EST
 Luffy Richard here, once again taking control of the keyboard to tell you about my time here in Vancouver, the city of Whale. Well, there were once whales, but the whalers kind of...helped them move.

I'm liking the city so far, at least the parts of the city I can see from my apartment window.

I admit, I hit a slump that began a few weeks back, after scoring in our first game of the season, and it feels good to have scored in back to back games. I'm glad I'm contributing, but I'm hoping that my more recent offensive output keeps increasing, and helps us to victory. My teammates have been great, and have really helped me transition. They put up with my insanity, and are a great group of guys. The speed of the game always has me engaged, so I feel a high on the ice I always want to get back to.

All in all, it has been as smooth a transition as can be expected. I'm loving my time here, and can't wait for the next game.

Go Whale or GO Home

[Image: WzzhGnr.png][Image: image0.jpg]

[Image: image0.png][Image: UMRTITC.gif]

Gavin Wallace found the step up to the SMJHL a fairly large one from a technical point of view. Having grown up playing the game in the United Kingdom where there was a greater focus on the style of play being much more physical. Wallace has had to train extra hard on the ice to become used to the faster nature of the game played in this development league, as well as the focus on stick lifting and forcing a player into awkward positions instead of trying to blindside them with a really big hit. 

Another part of the game which will take some getting used to is the sheer noise in the arenas, Wallace was used to playing in front of a crowd that was a maximum of five thousand people here he was subjected to the noises of tens of thousands of people, both cheering for and against him. When he was doing well he could hear the crowd chant his name and it would she'd chills down his spine but if he were to have an off game, the crowd certainly let him know and it would leave him with a sinking feeling.

So far it's been ok. Off-ice has been great. The guys in the locker room are awesome, easy to chat with and have some fun. On the ice we've certainly had some struggles but we knew that was going to be the case. Improving every week is really our goal at this point and it seems that we have a good crew of guys committed to do exactly that. Myself particular, I've had some ups and downs. I think even from the start of the season, my defensive game has grown a lot. Scoring isn't everything so I've been happy to be able to be more responsible and obviously moving forward in the future into the SHL, you can't be a one dimensional player.

On the other hand, I do still love to score. My 2 goal game was a huge confidence booster even if I've gone quiet since then. I definitely am getting my fair share of chances so just being able to better capitalize on my opportunities is my next step. Looking forward to keeping on growing as a player and as a team here in Carolina. The nice weather also doesn't hurt, little better than if we were still in Montreal.

[Image: DIsmdUx.png]

It's no brainer that SMJHL haven't been so easy for Finnish rookie Aumy Jr. Week after suspenssion, he is back on SMJHL and is working even harder to be better hockey player. He have played his first 20 games on SMJHL and he is not very happy about his stats, but not so sad either. Got some goals, got some assists, but in general - pretty average stats for a rookie like him.

A lot of penalty minutes and low Plus/Minus rating have done a lot for him and his ego, but he is working harder to be better in future. You can't change history, but you need to learn from that. After multiple talks with Raptors coaching stuff, he knows what skills he should train more and now it's time to focus on that.

Of course, it's pretty obvious that SMJHL ain't for each hockey player. The beginning of his professional hockey career haven't been easy. He didn't felt like he was in his best condition. Now it's time for his glow up and he is working hard to achieve his dreams. He have't really found a great contact with a lot of his teammates, but he still have some great and friendly friendships with few on Raptors players. Plus, we can't ignore the fact that his rookie season just started. New friends he will definitely find in season going.

Aumy is enjoying city, eating in greatest sushi restaurants in Colorado and living his best life. A lot of trainings, he just bought his first house in Colorado and he is ready to play there in long-term. Can't forget the fact that he is still grinding and his primary goal is to be great hockey player. One of the things he most loves to do in Colorado is to watch sunset on beach. It just looks completely different than in other countries and towns. He definitely likes Colorado.

Right now, his favourite thing to do in Colorado is to hang out with multiple rappers and artists. He love rap music by himself and he loves sometieme to write something. So it's cool to change experience with professional artists and get some knowledge in music industry aswell.

In general - Aumy Jr. is living good. He is spennding time with his family, girlfriend, his friends and other persons. Can't say that he would be not happy about how things are going. This is just the beginning for him.

400+ words, because I thought that we need to write 400+ words, not 150+ words. My mistake, but still! :D

Stars Stars Stars

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2020, 09:57 PM by honkerrs.)

I'm not cool enough to be able to hang out with any rappers and artists yet unfortunately but with the way our team has been winning it's hard to be disappointed with anything to do with my SMJHL start at the moment. The team has been lively from the pre season, the coaching staff insanely hard working and encouraging, and the fans have been ecstatic to see us play in our rink. I think the biggest adjustment for me so far has not been being able to play every game. Just used to being able to rely on my routine every day knowing I was going to start but now I am trying to find the right routine for myself for playing every other game or so. I am confident that I'll get it to work but either way I am excited for what we have already accomplished and am having a blast watching us win these games in many different ways.

[Image: honkerrs.gif]
[Image: OPTIMIZED.png]

The first quarter of the season has not gone well for PBJ Souppan. The 3rd overall pick has struggled to perform to the expectations of his pick. Through 19 games, he has 4 points and a -6 +/- ratio (bottom 25% of the league). With an average of 1.31 shots per game, it hasn’t been good enough offensively for PBJ. Defensively it hasn’t been much better. With a hit rate of 0.68 hits per game, it’s obvious that Souppan is till trying to find his game. However, what is concerning is his giveaway-takeaway ratio (2 giveaways – 1 takeaway). He is averaging one shot blocked per game, which is alright but still no where near good enough for a player of his caliber. Despite this, it appears PBJ is still pushing hard to maintain his spot on the roster, and the apparent second line. He was recently seen with several personal trainers on his day off, no doubt working on things highlighted by the coaching staff. Look for his stats to pick up sooner rather than later.

[Image: bouch22.jpg?ex=65381617&is=6525a117&hm=6...178839271&] [Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Simply loving New Foundland... It has been a great experience and the boys have been meshing well. I've been satisfied, but not overwhelmingly ecstatic with my performance so far. There is always a fine line of being in the top echelon of the league and I am definitely not there yet. I need to train harder... Been feeling a bit under the weather as of late, but Stev stepped in and picked up a couple big dubs. Now that I'm getting back into the groove and we are approaching that mid stretch of the season it is time to buckle down and start hitting the growth binge. Got alot to prove heading into the final part of the season and need to be there for the boys... mentally and physically. Our season will only go as far as I'm capable of standing tall when it counts. Every team needs big saves at key moments and I plan on giving @JNH that dependency and consistency.

[Image: Wally.png]

I have to say, I didn't expect it to be so difficult adapting to the league. I thought my defensive stats were something that I was going to be able to take pride in, but 20 games in I find myself a -7. The offensive side of things hasn't really been going the way I envisioned it would either. Only 2 goals on 30 shots for a measly 6.67% shooting percentage is not something a player who identifies as a sniper can be proud of. On other hand my struggles have helped me identify what areas of my game needs work.

Off the ice I can tell the locker is a fantastic group of people and the city of Maine is amazing. Being at the bottom of the standings would discourage some fans from showing up, but you can really hear them during home games. Unfortunately current situations and family life has really set back my ability to really assimilate and take advantage of everything that has been offered. Timber Timber Timber

[Image: CrazyMojitoSHL.gif]
Canada Blizzard Stars Citadelles Citadelles Stars Blizzard Canada 
[Image: d9J5DHT.png][Image: 16PgOBm.png]

I think I have settled very well in Newfoundland. The locker room has been very helpful and active. I have been also performing well. I'm leading in DGR on the league and leading DGR among rookies. I'm also in top 20 in GR. Helping with my ratings is my trusty finnish partner Jukka Timonen. Playing alongside him has been a huge help and confidence boost to my game. Having to play alongside veteran player like Jukka helps me to play my own game and hes playing style compliments mine very well. Also all the other veteran players and the general management has helped a lot with rookies settling in. And seeing our team performing so well and all the players performing a lot better then last few seasons have given us a chance to push to the playoffs which is giving us confidence boosts through the season and helping us bond together

Finland Update Page  Interview  Player Page  Wolfpack

[Image: Snussu.gif]

Thanks to everyone made sigs to me!!!! (Gif made by myself)

Richard Majors has been uneasy in his adjustment into the back-up role in St. Louis.  He is getting used to not playing the majority of games which has led to a lack of composure at times when he has allowed in easy goals that he should have stopped.  This, along with playing against players of a higher caliber that he is used to, has made his transition from the big fish in the little pond to being the small fish in the lake more difficult.

His teammates have helped and taken him under their wing, especially Elizabeth Doyle, since she knows that the net will be his, most likely, next season.  She knows that it is a rough transition and is trying her best to keep him motivated.  Richard has taken the time to sit and watch the games, paying close attention to the way the goalies position themselves and cover the puck so that no rebounds are given.  He is watching tape and spending extra time on the ice and in the gym trying to master the techniques that will make him a better goalie.  It is slow going, but for now, he is determined to help St. Louis make the playoffs so they can make another run to a championship.

[Image: KKnxMHo.png]
Thanks Carpy

[Image: altqy11.jpg]

[Image: 49775_s.png]
Thanks to Budgie and Carpy for the sigs!

Player || Updates

Elwulf Jericson has spent his time adjusting not only to the team but also to the city of St. Louis. It has been a major adjustment living in a city rather than back home in the woods of Maine. Way more people than he was used to being around but is settling into his routine. Although, he has had to change his normal habits of saying hi to people he walks by, as he gets a lot of stares that way.

As for on the ice, he has settled into his role on the third pairing nicely. He has taken the opportunity to focus more on the physical side of his game to compliment his natural speed. He has also been able to help out offensively, tying for top points for a defenseman on his team. He has been very appreciative of the opportunities the coaching staff has given him and hopes to be able to continue improving. At least now he can hit the broadside of a barn, where he couldn't before the season started.

[Image: jericson112.gif]
[Image: 5p7vOwY.png][Image: NA3IV5m.png]

[Image: VzfcBkH.png]

[Image: Chocula22.gif]
Berserkers Wolfpack France

Asts are living good life in sunny Colorado area with his teammates and family. He have played 25 games and he is very unexpectedly good. 1 goal, 6 assists for him as a rookies is very big achievement. He could upgrade his playing level and be better, but his ability to be so good player at so young age already is unbelievable. Can't even imagine what will happen when he will be on SMJHL in his senior year

Colorado felt like a home from the beginning for Asts. He have found great contact and chemistry with his coaches and teammates. He ain't the most active person on Discord servers or forum, but he is still good, because he is undrafted and still active, plus gain new TPE each week and even more

Asts are enjoying city of Colorado and he don't want to be anywhere else. Playing in same team as his brother have made him feel comfortable and amazing. Teammates stick together and so does family

167 words

[Image: QqjQFxx.png]
[Image: zdXC6eb.png] [Image: 8b7dmkE.png]

Honestly I have done alright this season but i could improve in the scoring column. As far as that goes, I would rather have wins and we have been doing well so I am hopeful for what the postseason holds. My biggest pride is my defesnisve game, for the first 7 games or so my linemates and I didn't allow a goal against. So my hopes of being a 2 way forward are in full swing. I will continue to develop my skill attributes such as speed and agility. My hope is to be good depth in the upcoming challenges that the season and playoffs can and will pose. As long as we give it everything we will be fine. Also, I would like to shout out my teammates for being super helpful and awesome. i don't think it gets much better then this, so thank you all, And let's bring tat cup back here to St. Louis