Create Account

Which Junior teams produced the best draft class? (S54 SHL)
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2020, 08:33 AM by peej2189.)

Which Junior teams produced the best draft class?

First article bonus
Watching my first SHL draft I was quite curious to see which SMJHL teams had the "best" draft class. While only time can tell how these draft picks do, we can see how the junior teams cultivate the young bucks into the league. I will be going through each team and talking about them specifically through this article. At the bottom of the article there is a spreadsheet I made going through each rookie that had been created this season and where they got drafted, if they weren't drafted there is a **** in the slot. Teams with more rookies than the rest tended to be further down the list as they had quite a few active rookies which needed to get drafted. I will also say before we get into the meat of this, I did not take into account player TPE or positions. 

Outlaws Anaheim Outlaws: Tied for 3rd in the average that their rookies got drafted they produced 3 total rookies to the SHL in this draft. That is half of the rookies they drafted or acquired through the season. Of the 3 drafted, only one of was considered good enough to be drafted in the first round, which arguably carried the average in this instance. The draft picks were 5th, 24th, and 52nd. 

Armada Anchorage Armada: The Armada handily had the best rookie class this year with 6 of their 8 rookies being drafted, and were the only team to average being picked in the first round. They had 3 players drafted in the first round. Sawful, Lazer, and Biscuit. The other 3 drafted were all in the second round. Absolutely astounding when looking at it. Being a new face around here it would be easy to guess that Anchorage may have the best staff to get their players motivated and staying active on this site. 

Kraken Carolina Kraken: As much as I wanted my own team to have the best rookie class, numbers wise we didn't fare so hot. 6th in the leader boards of when the rookies were drafted the Kraken also produced 3 first round draft picks. These being Knight, Vitecek, and Grimstad. Out of the 10 rookies, 9 had been drafted, most of them in the third and fourth rounds. The Kraken may have had the most active rookie class out of all of the junior teams this season, hopefully the 9 will stay active throughout their careers. 

Raptors Colorado Raptors: With the second highest average draft spot, the Raptors only had 1 of their 7 rookies pulled this season. Without doing much digging, it seems that Colorado just got unlucky with the rookies they grabbed in the SMJHL draft beforehand. There may be a lot of external factors that have caused players from this team to not get drafted, or they may have just had too many of them go inactive over time. The single player off this roster that was snagged by an SHL team was Jean-Uthred Ragnarsson-Tremblay at pick number 23. 

Falcons Detroit Falcons: The champs from this season had 4 of their 6 rookies drafted and fittingly enough had the 3rd average draft spot. Only 1 rookie was picked up late in the first round with the rest of them going later in the draft. Not much to say about this group of rookies, just a solid class.

Knights Kelowna Knights: Out of the 7 rookies they acquired, 3 were drafted in the first round. Even with those 3 in the top 16, the other 3 drafted got picked up quite late in the draft. This caused the teams average draft spot to fall to 7th among the other junior teams. One might say that the Knights just couldn't quite coach the players quite enough to get the attention from the teams in the SHL, maybe these boys picked up late will end up being the next Superstars. 

Timber Maine Timber: The only junior team to have EVERY SINGLE ROOKIE DRAFTED. What a way to do it, the boys in Maine got it done. Two picks in the first round, and the number one pick at that. While all 6 of their rookies were drafted, a majority of them got snagged extremely late. Causing the average time they got drafted to be 9th among the rest of the junior teams. Averaging being picked at 32.6 in the draft, they were one of two teams to have most of their players drafted after the second round. Regardless of this statistic, the coaching staff in Maine might be one of the best groups to help keep players active. 

Berserkers Newfoundland Berserkers: The junior team with the most rookies on their roster, 14 total rookies. Out of this 14, 10 got drafted. Two players were snagged in the first with the majority being picked up in the second or third rounds. With the 8th average draft spot there just might be too many rookies on this team for any of them to truly stand out. However, they did come out with this seasons Mr. Irrelevant Niccolo Livius at pick number 71. I sincerely hope that this rookie fares well and proves that they do not deserve the Mr. Irrelevant nickname. 

Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows: The team to average the lowest draft spot in the Juniors just happened to be the Scarecrows. With just 4 rookies coming into the draft and only 3 of which getting drafted, they easily could have been ranked a bit higher. Unfortunately they did not have one single first round draft pick to help boost their average. 

Whalers Vancouver Whalers: Coming in at the 5th average draft spot for their rookies, the Whalers had 4 of their 6 rookies drafted. One in the first, one in the second, and the other two in the third. Sato being picked at 2nd helped bring their average draft spot up quite a bit. 

[Image: snip_of_draft_picks.PNG]

Some other statistics I would like to mention. 

There were 74 possible rookies to get drafted this season. 22 of which were not drafted at all due to factors unknown to me. That gives the S54 rookie class a tentative retention rate of 70%. I would fully expect this number to fluctuate quite a bit as players may come and go due to personal reasons or losing interest in the SHL. 

I did order the players on each team by their TPE earned based on the PDF given to us for the mock draft. 

1186 words, it did take some time to compile the data, but I am pleased with my first article!

Let me know if there are any discrepancies! I tried my best and worked with the twitch stream to gather when players were drafted, and the PDF from the mock draft for all possible players. Congrats to all of those who were drafted! I wish everyone the best of luck in the coming seasons.

[Image: panico.png]

Armada

Nice work, though in dark mode you can't read it. Go into the editor and remove formatting, happens when you copy and paste from Google docs

[Image: honkerrs.gif]
[Image: OPTIMIZED.png]

05-18-2020, 08:01 AMhonkerrs Wrote: Armada

Nice work, though in dark mode you can't read it.  Go into the editor and remove formatting, happens when you copy and paste from Google docs
I second this, but would like to add that Ctrl+Shift+V or whatever the Mac equivalent is to Paste as Plain Text prevents this when pasting.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

Kraken Barracuda  I like.

no @bbp is pretty irrelevant, the label is accurate

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

when you notice that Bryce McMahon is listed as a Falcon and not a Whaler... regardless this was very interesting to look at!

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

05-24-2020, 11:58 PMJNH Wrote: no @bbp is pretty irrelevant, the label is accurate

Only because my coach is a limp noodle afraid of real men.

Thems called sleeper picks, carolina best

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

You're right--very unlucky draft class for Colorado, but I"m hoping that gets redeemed a bit this next season when an overager or two HOPEFULLY gets drafted. We have 3 active dmen going into their 2nd year who went undrafted. I'm hopeful a few of those can impress enough to get drafted next this coming season

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

05-25-2020, 12:44 AMDextaria Wrote: when you notice that Bryce McMahon is listed as a Falcon and not a Whaler... regardless this was very interesting to look at!
My mistake lmao, too many players to try and look at I guess.

[Image: panico.png]