Create Account

Richard Hogsworth Emerges From The Shadows - Press Conference
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2020, 10:51 AM by LordBirdman.)

A large, balding man approaches the podium. His baggy suit fits him as well as it can, but most wouldn't consider him to be very handsome or stylish.  The Raptors tie he is wearing looks like a gag gift, but he seems serious.  His thin glasses and manicured mustache give off an air of a middle-aged insurance salesman, but his warm gaze and knowing grin tell another story.  He dabs the corner of his mouth with a fine lace handkerchief, cleaning up what he believes to be the last remnants of barbecue sauce from his face, but some remains. 

The large man sits down with a thud and the chair lets out a noticeable creak.  He shifts his weight and takes a peak down at the chair, but it holds up.  His eyes dart from reporter to reporter, wondering who will ask the first question.  After an awkward moment he realizes that they are all waiting for him to say something.

"Hello SMJHL Media.  I'm Richard Hogsworth, agent for Sven Svenson and LeBong Simwell of the NSFL.  As many of you know, I was hired to be the Colorado Raptor's co-GM at the beginning of the season.  I'm pleased with the Raptors play so far this season and our opportunity to solidify our playoff seeding down the stretch.  We've surprised many commentators this season and most believed this would be a hard rebuilding year for the Raptors.  Our strong veteran leadership have done a great job mentoring our incredibly talented rookie class and the future is bright in Colorado."

[Image: RichardHogsworth.jpg] 

Richard pauses to take a sip of water, which turns into a gulp.  He is clearly sweaty and uncomfortable in his suit. Visible pit stains are starting to form.  He's mostly seen around the Raptors facilities wearing jean shorts, flip flops, and Hawaiian shirts.  He wipes the beads of sweat off his forehead with his soiled handkerchief, leaving behind a faint barbecue sauce mark.

"I don't really have much else to say.  With that I will open it up to questions.  Go Raptors!"

Ask away if you would like to know more about myself as a user, Richard Hogsworth the co-GM, Sven Svenson, or the Raptors Org.

06-22-2020, 11:30 AMsköldpaddor Wrote: hey Richard, heja sverige, um, just want to say I disagree with this slanderous statement that you are not handsome or stylish - in the words of a guy on tv "break my fingers, you brooding mountain"

with that out of the way, can you just give us an idea of what sorts of things the Raptors are going to be looking for as you continue the ongoing process of keeping a juniors team full of fresh blood? Outside of addressing positional needs, what kind of characteristics do you look for when you're drafting?

Hello sköldpaddor, thank you for the kind words. When we are putting together our draft board we look for things you'd expect, like talent potential and perceived dedication, but more importantly we look for people that we think we would get along with. It's not a very specific answer because it is pretty straightforward and thankfully doesn't eliminate too many people because the majority of the people on this site are pretty cool.

06-22-2020, 11:38 AMkenvald Wrote: Colorado has a pretty tough schedule to end the season. Do you see your team being able to overtake Anaheim for 2nd in the West?

Sven Svenson was recently mentioned in an SJHN article as a strong contestant for the Ron Bolt Trophy. Do you agree with what they had to say?

Related to the previous question, you have barely taken any penalties this season. How did you change your game to lower your time in the box so drastically from last season?

Looking at the calendar today, our next game is January 12th against Carolina. After that we have a day of rest, then play Maine the 14th and Kelowna the 15th. From there we have some time off before playing Anaheim on the 19th and St. Louis on the 22nd. The first stretch will be tough because of the difficult opponents in quick succession and the second stretch will be tough because those are two good playoff teams. Right now we are 3 points back on Anaheim with a game in hand. I believe in this team to play well enough down the stretch to secure 3 or 4 wins and overtake Anaheim. Our second to last game of the year against the Outlaws will be pivotal.

I think the thing the SJHN misses about Sven Svenson and his lack of penalties is that isn't due to sportsmanship, it's due to weakness. I'm constantly advocating for the guy to get out there and show some grit, maybe take a charging call or even get a misconduct. I wouldn't mind, but I guess the coaching staff wants to keep one of our star players on the ice and out of the box. Over the offseason they asked him specifically to practice meditation and lower his on ice aggression.

06-22-2020, 11:47 AMCementHands Wrote: Dick, how would you rate your innaugral season in the Raptors press box?

What is your biggest regret from the time you took your new role officially?

What is your most proud moment in the role?

Hans, great to see you out here and thanks for the questions. I think our first season has gone well. We are respectably in third place in the west with a shot to move up to #2 and have home ice in the first round. The playoffs will be a determinant of how this season goes, but more importantly I think we've brought together a strong group to compete in future seasons. We have 8 rookies grinding to be the best players they can be and should be a competitive core for us for the foreseeable future.

My biggest regret was making such an egregious error that I caused a ripple in the space time continuum and made Samat play in net at two places at once. It was embarrassing and costly, but a good learning moment to really pay attention to the details and reminder take off my wizard hat so I don't break the rules of the universe again.

So far my proudest moment was just after the draft, seeing all the excitement in the LR. We knew right away we had a great rookie group together and were excited for the season to get rolling.

06-22-2020, 12:05 PMroastpuff Wrote: Texas, Kansas City, or St Louis style barbeque? And why?

For me personally I'd have to say Texas, but that's really because it's what I'm most familiar with. I think I would eat barbecue from anywhere, even Europe.

06-22-2020, 12:06 PMStamkosFan Wrote: How does Sven think he will do in his rookie SHL season?

How do the Raptors feel about SMJHL expansion?

How likely do you think it is that the Raptors win a Four Star Cup in the next few seasons?

Sven is a brash young man that is convinced he will do well in his first year as an SHLer. I'm less confident than he is. I will say that he is planning to hit the weight room hard and play a more physical, punishing game in the big leagues.

The Raptors will be sad to lose a player, but understand it's a necessary evil. The level of talent has grown and teams are full, so it must be done.

There are some great organizations in the league that are going to make it really challenging for us to win a cup in the next few seasons. I will say that we should be a competitive team for the next few seasons and I think our chances are as good as any team over that time.

06-22-2020, 02:30 PMCapt_Blitzkrieg Wrote: As for on-topic questions:

1) Do you have a favorite dinosaur? Which kind is it and why?
2) How often do you rock the dinosaur?
3) What are your secrets for mustache maintenance?

1) My favorite dinosaur is the Clever Girl breed of Raptor, they don't mess around and can outsmart mammals with much larger brains - truly magnificent.
2) I'm not sure I understand, but I do own a pair of Raptors branded pajamas that I wear every night.
3) The key is to remember to wash out the barbecue sauce before you put on your Raptors pajamas and go to bed each night.

06-23-2020, 09:18 AMGrapehead Wrote: What qualities do you think make a fine GM like yourself stand out?

Who is the most SHL ready player on the Raptors this season?

Which SMJHL team will be the toughest challenge for the Raptors?

What adjustments do the Raptors need to make heading into the playoffs?

Very nice of you to say, but time will tell! I think communication is to players is key, keeping everyone rowing in the same direction and enthusiastic.

I think the most SHL ready player is Bradley Barkov. He plays a great two way game and eats minutes against the SMJHL's toughest competition every night. His coaches constantly rate his game highly and he leads the league in that statistic.

We don't want to get our sites set too far ahead and the way things are looking now it is likely we will face Anaheim in the first round. This will be a huge test, we are close in the standings and matched up decently well with them throughout the regular season - but once playoffs start and everyone has rest it will be a whole new game. Moving on to the second round would be a major accomplishment for our rookie-heavy team.

Heading into the playoffs, we have been spreading ice time around to try to keep our legs fresh. It will be an adjustment to turn up the intensity night in and night out, knowing how important every game is.

Code:
Ready for grading

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

Not a question but a statement. Go Raptors!
Raptors Raptors Raptors

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs

hey Richard, heja sverige, um, just want to say I disagree with this slanderous statement that you are not handsome or stylish - in the words of a guy on tv "break my fingers, you brooding mountain"

with that out of the way, can you just give us an idea of what sorts of things the Raptors are going to be looking for as you continue the ongoing process of keeping a juniors team full of fresh blood? Outside of addressing positional needs, what kind of characteristics do you look for when you're drafting?

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Colorado has a pretty tough schedule to end the season. Do you see your team being able to overtake Anaheim for 2nd in the West?

Sven Svenson was recently mentioned in an SJHN article as a strong contestant for the Ron Bolt Trophy. Do you agree with what they had to say?

Related to the previous question, you have barely taken any penalties this season. How did you change your game to lower your time in the box so drastically from last season?

[Image: sBUQCq8.png]

Past Players

Dick, how would you rate your innaugral season in the Raptors press box?

What is your biggest regret from the time you took your new role officially?

What is your most proud moment in the role?

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

Texas, Kansas City, or St Louis style barbeque? And why?

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

How does Sven think he will do in his rookie SHL season?

How do the Raptors feel about SMJHL expansion?

How likely do you think it is that the Raptors win a Four Star Cup in the next few seasons?

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/ByNN8Jn.gif[/img]

06-22-2020, 12:05 PMroastpuff Wrote: Texas, Kansas City, or St Louis style barbeque? And why?

[Image: IHzRIoW.png]

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

As for on-topic questions:

1) Do you have a favorite dinosaur? Which kind is it and why?
2) How often do you rock the dinosaur?
3) What are your secrets for mustache maintenance?

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

What qualities do you think make a fine GM like yourself stand out?

Who is the most SHL ready player on the Raptors this season?

Which SMJHL team will be the toughest challenge for the Raptors?

What adjustments do the Raptors need to make heading into the playoffs?

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

Answered up to this point and marking ready for grading, but I'll answer more if there is any interest.

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride