Create Account

Interview with Dobrovsky and Setzinger S55 prospects 2x media
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2020, 12:22 AM by Wearingabear.)

3 way split between @EricC11 and @iStegosauruz, 2x draft media

The Boat Gang's Gang presents: Two Armada DFAs looking to make it big in the draft.

With a late push to secure a spot in this year's Four Star Cup playoffs push, we saw Anchorage Armada GM, Max Brannagan, sign two DFA players just after the trade deadline. We saw Max Brannagan fairly active at this year's trade deadline where he traded away Urlik Bergstrom to Anaheim for conditional draft picks and Stan Hanson to Carolina for a conditional 3rd round pick. Both of those players are getting the chance to take a shot at winning the Four Star Cup before they make their way on up to the SHL. While the fans didn't want to see either of these two popular Boat Gangers leave, they respect them for their years of dedication to Anchorage and only wish them the best while they try and win the Four Star Cup.

In the aftermath of both of those trades, Max Brannagan saw a great opportunity to sign two DFAs, defender Oliver Setzinger (@EricC11, and right winger Zbynek Dobrovsky (@iStegosauruz. Both of these players will be eligible for next years S56 SMJHL draft and will only be on the Armada through the end of the season. This unique opportunity to play with the Aramada during the latter half of the season gave both players the ability to see how the 'J works and a great chance for the league to see these two play first hand. This will certainly help both of these players draft at a higher position and poised to make immediate impacts for their teams next year. 

We had a chance to talk with Setzinger's agent, former NHLer Thomas Vanek, and Dobrovsky to dive a little deeper into these two DFAs.

[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSzhkzdg-XbnOQaeX4S8...A&usqp=CAU]

This is what Vanek had to say about Setzinger:

[Image: wEcDraF.png]

TBGG: How did Oliver get into the sport of hockey?

Vanek: Oliver was born in Horn, Austria and started playing minor hockey in that town, before being signed as a teenager in the Erste Bank Eishockey Liga (EBEL). As a teenager in a men's league, he surprised many by putting up PPG pace season as a defenceman in his first three seasons before being transferred to the Armada last week for an undisclosed fee (reportedly upwards of $5M which Setzinger saw none of).

He started playing hockey as a youngster simply as an extra-curricular activity as a way of making friends, and his parents had the money to put him through the whole youth system. As he approached high school there were many programs that were interested in acquiring his talents and offering under the table payments to his family as he had the ability to take a high school team to great heights. After a strong showing in the national high school championships, that is when the Graz99ers offered him a hefty three-year contract to come and transform their program.

TBGG: Wow, a $5MM transfer fee is pretty hefty, if that's true. If Setzinger didn't see that money, where do you think it went?

Vanek: ...

TBGG: Okay, moving on. We dug into the numbers that he put up while in the EBEL, 20 goals and 41 assists last year, and this year he had already put up 6 goals and 40 assists in only 37 games before making the transfer out here. Those are impressive numbers for anybody, even more so for a teenager playing against grown men. Did Oliver accomplish what he wanted while he finished the rest of the season here in Anchorage?

Vanek: While Setzinger is focused on his on-ice contributions with the Armada, myself and the agency are prepping sponsorship deals (media pieces) in order to support Setzinger financially as his first official season approaches with each passing day. Expect to see an influx of monetary opportunities as the draft approaches and the stakes are raised (double draft media). Setzinger is already seeing 20 minutes a night on the Armada blue line and is still awaiting a breakout performance to solidify his draft portfolio.

TBGG:  We know he's taking a lot of influence from fellow Austrians Theo Kondos (ANC) and Jimmy Wagner (CAR), but who else is Oliver looking up to or trying to emulate?

Vanek: Another young player that Oliver attempts to base his game off of is Quinn Hughes of the Vancouver Canucks in the NHL. Like Hughes, he is an elite skater with great hockey sense and vision at both ends of the ice. He isn't afraid to let loose his cannon of a shot but prefers to find passing lanes so that his teammates can put the puck in the back of the net. He is perfect for the first powerplay line, and will likely be a cornerstone on any SMJHL or SHL team that drafts him, as well as the Austrian National Team where he is expected to slot in immediately.

TBGG: That's quite the comparison, we hope that get to see Oliver live up to his potential here in Anchorage. Those are some great insights into Oliver the hockey player. Now how about Oliver the person, are there any quirks that you'd like to share about Oliver?

Vanek:You'd have to ask his teammates on his former and current teams what kind of quirks bother them about Setzinger as neither he nor his agent are willing to share those for sake of his draft stock.

TBGG: Well, we may have to do that. First impressions mean a lot here in the tight knit group of the Aramada, let's see what Igor Victory had to say about him:

Quote:Oli is a great guy so far, but I can't get over him wearing those damn Lederhosen, he only wears them showing up pre game, while the rest of us are wearing suits, but hey, to each their own. At least he and I share the love for the Sauna, a lot of the other guys think we're a bit strange how often we go in, but it's kind of a religion to us. We just hope we don't walk in and find TURG on the bike in the Sauna again.

TBGG: Wow, Lederhosen, that takes some commitment to your country and dress attire. I'm not sure I'd want to be up here in Anchorage showing up wearing those. Do you think that will stick or will Oliver change his way and start wearing suits like the rest of the team?

Vanek: No comment.

TBGG: Alright, one last topic here. Signing with Anchorage gives Oliver a big step up in the draft, what are his goals going into the draft?

Vanek: In terms of the draft, Setzinger wants to go as high as possible but specifically in the first round as getting to hear his name called personally, and getting to take the stage would be a dream come true for the offensive defenseman. If the Armada decide to select Oliver, then he would be delighted but he is also not against going to a different team if they desire his talents.

TBGG: Well, we here in Anchorage sure as hell we get to see Oliver up there on the stage standing next to Max Brannagan and the rest of the management and coaching staff. It seems like Oliver has a promising career ahead of him, and he'll likely make an impact no matter what team he lands with. Thomas, thanks for the taking the time today to chat with us about Oliver Setzinger, we wish him and you the best of luck at the S56 draft.

It's obvious that Oliver Setzinger is a promising young defenseman who has already made a name for himself in the EBEL in Austria. He is a definite game changer, and has proven that already. He consistently put up over a point per game playing against players that were a lot older, bigger, and more experienced than he was as a young teenager. At 6'0 160 pounds, he's still a smaller player coming into the SMJHL, which is about the only thing of concern we see with him moving forward. It's a pretty stark comparison to other D on the Armada like Bork Lazer, who is 6'3 and 283 lbs, or Igor Victory, 6'4 228 lbs. If he focuses this off season on learning how to adjust his game to North America, and how to use his body properly, he should be in great shape to play next year in the SMJHL and the SHL for years to come. Let's hope that with his scoring powers and vision on the ice he ends up back here with the Boat Gang.

Next we have our interview with Zbynek Dobrovsky, who stands 6’1 and 205 lbs. This Czech winger has everything needed to make it in the big leagues. His play and stature is similar to his fellow countryman Tomas Hertl, who has made himself known while playing in San Jose. A big body, isn’t afraid to get in the dirty areas, and is just an all around great player to be around.

Dobrovsky previously played for HC RT TORAX Poruba of the Chance Liga, the 2nd highest hockey league in Czechia. It was there he put 20 goals, 26 assists, 46points total in 50 games. Which was a bit of drive from his home town of Jesenik, but the hard work, long drives, and dedication paid off as he’s just finished playing as a DFA for the Armada. He’s now looking forward to the upcoming S55 SMJHL draft. We had a chance to chat with him.

TBGG: Zbynek, thanks for sitting down with us and chatting. Congrats on finishing up a shortened season with the Armada. Let’s take this time to get people to know you. What’s your home town?

Dobrovsky: Jesenik, Czechia

TBGG: How did you get started in hockey?

Dobrovsky: I started playing it with my dad on the weekends. Eventually I was recruited to play on a local club team and played some for my middle school, who could have us play three times or so a week after school starting in middle school. Eventually I worked my way into the professional scene on a youth club and got professional coaching and leadership.

TBGG: What made you sign with the Armada?

Dobrovsky: I had a couple of other offers from teams in the league but the Armada offered me a chance to get meaningful play time on a team hoping to make a successful playoff push. I’m also a big fan of Santtu Räsänen and so the opportunity to play with him definitely influenced the decision.

TBGG: What do you want to accomplish between signing and the draft?

Dobrovsky: I was just hoping to help the Armada win some games and get a bit more familiar with people around the league. Being able to get on a team now and play meaningful minutes is definitely a really great thing and I’m excited to just keep building on that momentum.

TBGG: What player do you look up to and want to emulate?

Dobrovsky: He’s a center, but like I said earlier Santtu Räsänen is a big influence on me and my goals in hockey. He’s a great guy and an even better player. I’m also a big fan of Jakub Vorácek out of the NHL - currently on the Philadelphia. He’s had an incredible professional career and is an idol of mine.

TBGG: Any oddities or quirks that fans should know about?

Dobrovsky: Against the advice of the team dietician he eats two chocolate glazed Krispy Kreme donuts every morning before a game. There’s no way its healthy but he swears by the results.

TBGG: What are you goals in the draft?

Dobrovsky: I’m just looking to go a team that needs me and can help refine my skills. I’m excited to get the chance to help a team win some games and make a push for the playoffs - kinda like I’ve gotten the opportunity to do for the Armada this season.

TBGG: Do you wish to stick with the Armada or are you looking for another team come draft time?

Dobrovsky: I’d love to stick with the Armada. Everyone has been super nice and welcoming, from the management on down. I think we’re building something really strong and sustainable over here. I’m excited for the future.

Both players made impacts for the Armada finishing up the final 8 games of the regular season as well through the playoffs. Oliver Setzinger was able to score an assist, and put up 10 hits during the regular season. He found his first goal and assist in the SMJHL while playing in his first playoff game. Oliver played all 7 games the Armada competed in during their playoff run, Oliver put a stat line of 2G, 1A, 3PTS, blocked 4 shots, and had an impressive take away/give away ratio of 4/0. He recently got selected to represent team DACH this year during the WJC, where he's looking to make an impression and hopefully get noticed by the GMs and Scouts that are attending the games in London.

Dobrovsky finished up the last 8 games of the year putting up an assist while playing on the Armada's 4th line. Dobrovsky also played in all 7 playoff games for the Armada, finishing with 1G, 0A, 1 PTS, on 9 shots on goal and picked up 3 hits while averaging 10 minutes TOI.

We look forward to seeing them again at this year's SMJHL entry draft. Good luck to both players and thanks for your time on the Armada.

Dictated, not read by Dick S. Lapper

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

Ayyyy nice write-up and payday for ya boi

[Image: EricC11.gif]