Create Account

Player Roles

As this is already the hot topic of the day, I'm pretty sure there are discussions in the background going on to alleviate this issue, but I just wanted to throw my idea out there. 

A player cannot be assigned a role unless their max Stat (outside of Stamina) is the KEY Stat for that Role.  It doesn't have to be the sole max stat, it can be tied with others,  but it's obviously something you're focusing on. 

It is just the start of an idea, and can be flexible, but it would stop player from playing a role where they have a 5 for the KEY Stat.

[Image: ScottyFresh3.gif]
[Image: QFNCFWS.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: 6QlU4ci.png]

I like this idea in theory, but i feel it would be hard to enforce and keep track of

with people continuing to update someone's max stat may change from one sim to the next, and if the GM or coach doesn't catch that then they would violate the rule

and the same would go if we made it the top few stats, peoples max stats will fluctuate

but i like the idea in theory where we find a way to get GM's to play players in the roles they should be good at, not which ones are mathematically superior because of not perfect coding

[Image: 60133_s.gif]
[Image: W3cWGCN.png][Image: 3XEVZeB.png]
 Timber Steelhawks norway norway Steelhawks Timber  
Knights  Renegades norway   norway Renegades Knights

07-28-2020, 12:03 AMRedCapeDiver Wrote: I like this idea in theory, but i feel it would be hard to enforce and keep track of

with people continuing to update someone's max stat may change from one sim to the next, and if the GM or coach doesn't catch that then they would violate the rule

and the same would go if we made it the top few stats, peoples max stats will fluctuate 

but i like the idea in theory where we find a way to get GM's to play players in the roles they should be good at, not which ones are mathematically superior because of not perfect coding

You could have possible roles for a player be locked after the last update before a season starts maybe. It would create a lot more housekeeping but I like the idea

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

I mean, in theory, everybody has a player archetype in mind as they make and continue to update their players. Even if they don't know at first, they eventually get some idea.

I'd say have a maximum of 3 roles listed on your build. If you want to change it, make it a line on the update sheet.

~~~~~~~
For Example:

Activity Check
Weekly Training

Stickcheck 15-->16

Please exchange Dangler for Counterattacking Forward in my Build Preference. I am a Sniper/Counterattacking Forward now.

~~~~~~~

I'd say give new players a grace period; they have until the All-Star break in their rookie season to pick something. IAs can be changed at the start of the season and the Playoffs by their GM and can have 2 roles maximum.

It's a rough idea, so there's probably imperfections.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2020, 03:09 AM by FlappyGiraffe.)

could make people choose 3 "strengths" like it was in the STHS days, except the strengths would now dictate the types of roles your player can play (rather than going with the proposed highest tpe attribute). This way it wouldn't change sim to sim, season to season.

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

07-28-2020, 03:09 AMFlappyGiraffe Wrote: could make people choose 3 "strengths" like it was in the STHS days, except the strengths would now dictate the types of roles your player can play (rather than going with the proposed highest tpe attribute). This way it wouldn't change sim to sim, season to season.
I really like this idea, in all honesty. It allows the players to keep building their players in their own unique way, while not handcuffing the coaches to a single role for their highest attribute.

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!

In regards to player agency, would it be terrible if your player picked 5-7 roles they can be deployed with and we just went with that? Most people build their player with a few roles in mind anyway. How much overhead would that be?

It also changes the game on drafting, since now you need to be aware of what type of player a user has, which i think is a good thing

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

I wasn't around during the STHS era, but the "strengths" sounds like a great idea for the Roles that would give flexibility without forcing someone to keep one stat the highest.

[Image: ScottyFresh3.gif]
[Image: QFNCFWS.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: 6QlU4ci.png]