Create Account

S55 mPT #4 - Make The Case

Task: Choose 1 or more of the topics below. Begin your task with the word 'For' or 'Against' and then make the case for whichever side you chose! You may respond to the original prompt or to someone else's response.

Every user who responds with a 'For' or 'Against' that meets the 25+ word criterion will receive 1 capped TPE; 10 or so people will be chosen as Participation+ members and will receive an additional uncapped TPE for demonstrating active argumentative fervor!
This PT will close Sunday, August 23rd at 11:59pm ET.
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded.

This PT is for SHL players and send-downs only; it is not for SMJHL Rookies.

Code:
New Orleans will break the FHM President's Trophy Curse and win the Challenge Cup as well

Code:
A bit forward-looking here, but Tampa Bay will continue their drastic improvement and win double-digit games next season

Code:
The New England Wolfpack are the best team that won't make the playoffs

Code:
The MVP awards are Monkey D Luffy's to lose

Code:
Scholz or Kirkby will win the Stevens Award for best defenseman

Code:
THE RETURN OF CAMERON CARTER - CCII will land on an all-star team!

Code:
Parker Smeb is the toughest player in the entire SHL

Code:
Collin Gibbles will finish with the most takeaways in the league for the third straight season

Code:
The Calgary Dragons are the team that most urgently needs to make a deadline move

Code:
Of the major trades that have gone down in the past month, Edmonton's move for Theo Morgan stands out as the best of all

Code:
The new expansion teams should be placed in West Virginia and Montana #NOLEAKS

Code:
No one can hold a candle to the Berserkers; they will hoist the Four Star Cup

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2020, 10:42 PM by hockeyiscool.)

Code:

Code:
New Orleans will break the FHM President's Trophy Curse and win the Challenge Cup as well

Against, This is for the simple reason that New Orleans did not get the President's trophy. So they dodge the curse. However, I think the president trophy winning Buffalo Stampede will win the 4-star cup. Their late season edition of Ekko Van Otter fills the only question mark that was on the Stampede's roster. If Buffalo doesn't win the Challenge Cup, I don't think any president's trophy winner can.

Code:

Code:
A bit forward-looking here, but Tampa Bay will continue their drastic improvement and win double-digit games next season

For, Tampa Bay will continue to grow and get double-digit wins next season. I think Tampa will have more wins in Season 55 than Toronto will. This is mostly due to the coming of age of a solid first line of Michael Fitted, Tom Fiddler, and Tom Ronlain with Jakob Hamr and Ambacus Cuddles and the continued growth of the insane third line tandem of Kalevolaripaavo Käspertommevisnapuu and Mega Tron. 
Code:
Code:
Against, I know the New England Wolfpack won't make the playoffs but they aren't the best team that won't make the playoffs. I think the Winnipeg Jets are the best team to miss the playoffs. I think the Jets have one of the better player personals but also are the most mismanaged. I think spending the entire season of shuffling lines and banishing their superstar's Nick Brain and Slip McGruff to the third line was eye opening. Rumor has it that they spent most of their time looking up in the crowd at the ladies instead of at the ice. It was nice to see Brain get his head on straight at the end of the season as his minutes increased at the end of the season, but it was too little too late.
Code:

Code:
Against, Monkey D Luffy isn't even the clear favorite to win MVP. If MVP goes to the player that if they were replaced with an average player of the league the respective team would see the most significant dip in results. That player hands down is Aaron Wilson. Not only did Wilson have 3 more points than Luffy, he was also more of a physical presence on the ice.

If there were another player that's between Wilson and Luffy, it would be Jimmy Slothface. Rumor has it after winning the S54 Challenge Cup and immediately trading away Michell van der Heijden the face of NOLA's future and scorer of the Challenge cup winning overtime goal there was a massive rift in the locker room. After a slow first week of games Slothface turned the boosters on and rallied the locker room together and ended up with the most points scored on NOLA. I don't like to pick intangibles when voting for an MVP but I see a world where Slothface isn't a leader in the locker room and NOLA misses the playoffs and that fall from grace is a big reason why I could see Jimmy Slothface winning MVP.  
Code:
Code:

For, Karlstrasse Scholz will win the Stevens Award for best defenseman. He will win the award for the best defenseman just because he was the highest point achieving defenseman. He also had some of the lowest shots against per 60 (21.5) averages in the league and lowest goals against averages per 60 (2.0) in the league, all while having over 23:30 minutes on an average night. 
Code:

Code:
THE RETURN OF CAMERON CARTER - CCII will land on an all-star team!
Against, If CCII were a top 3 production player on his own team he might make another all-star game. However, I would be shocked and upset if he did make it to an all-star game over these players: Monkey Luffy, Aaron Wilson, Daniel Smeb, Dick Clapper, Michael Scarn, Lallo Selman, Ola Wagstrom, Hippo Passamus, Luke Thomason, Slap McShotty just to name a few forwards that should rank higher than him. 
Code:

Code:
Against, I think the toughest player in the entire SHL is Taisei-Tiikeri (Tiger) Wawazat. He registered just less than 30 total hits than Parker Smeb with more than 10 minutes less time on ice average per night than Smeb. Wawazat is just a nasty man, tough as nails. If you're looking for someone being tough as someone who has grit to stand in front of a shot and not wince at all...I'd pick Mathias Seger. That man feels like he's playing half of the game and is pretty much a second goalie. 
Code:

Code:
Collin Gibbles will finish with the most takeaways in the league for the third straight season

For, Collin Gibbles congratulations on having the most Takeaways for the third straight season. Unfortunately, it's not enough to help the team get to the playoffs. It may however push him closer to the hall of fame as one of the best defensive forwards of all time.
Code:

Code:
The Calgary Dragons are the team that most urgently needs to make a deadline move
Against, I think the Dragons have a decent team assembled, but I don't think they are a team that's truly competing for a cup. I think they are just a group of guys that are just about to retire and are looking to just have some fun before they start talking about the glory days. 
Code:

Code:
Of the major trades that have gone down in the past month, Edmonton's move for Theo Morgan stands out as the best of all
Against, I really don't like the trade for Theo Morgan. Morgan has made it apparent that he is pursuing free agency no matter the circumstances. It's extremely short sighted and when you're competing against a stud filled roster like Buffalo has I think it's an extremely risky move but It makes sense. You're trying to compete and get a cup while Tony Pepperoni is at the top of his game. What people forget is how the addition of Theo Morgan separated the insane duo of Tony Pepperoni and Julio Tokolosh. I fear that the down season that Tokolosh had could cause him to get discouraged with the Blizzard Organization and pursue a "change of scenery".   
Code:

Code:

For, I don't think it would actually happen but I would love to see the West Virginia Hams or the Montana Mounties 

Code:

Code:

Against, The Berserkers always have a deep fear of the water. I think the Kraken or the Armada will take the Four Star Cup over the Berserkers.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2020, 04:58 PM by goldenglutes.)

AGAINST

The amount of disrespect that is being shown here to Gabriel "Gone Wild" @Gwdjohnson Johnson is absolutely disgusting. Not only is he the best defenseman in the league, but he also makes a mean tomato-halloumi. To have anyone other than Gabe up there winning the Stevens is just ludicrous.

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

Against

Tampa just is not far enough along in their rebuild, this isn’t gonna happen. With so many other teams far ahead in player caliber and star power, Tampa will probably continue to be a bottom of the pack team not just next year but a few year’s to come. That’s what happens when you sell everyone for picks, it’s all part of the plan. Give it time, don’t rush the process.

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/ByNN8Jn.gif[/img]

Code:

For: I believe that Scholz or Kirkby will walk away with the Stevens Awards at the conclusion for S55. My bet is on Karlstrasse Scholz from the Edmonton  Blizzard as I have gotten to see first hand how dangerous he has been. 

Code:
41 words

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 

Tampa will win double digit games next season, there's no doubt about it. They're getting a lot of reinforcements from the J next season. I'm excited to see how they develop.

[Image: rotti.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2020, 02:06 AM by 5ympathies.)

Code:

AGAINST: I'm coming for that hoe. Despite not getting a single point in a 10 goal win against the panthers, I'm coming for it hard in these last 2 or 3 games. Also Aaron Wilson is currently in the lead so how can it be his to lose, he's already lost it.

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020, 12:19 AM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

Code:

NO, Calgary is 23-8-5, winners of 7 games in a row. 16 players over 1,100 tpe and 985 tpe being our lowest in the lineup. The Dragons are dangerous.

PS: Don’t credit this to me, I’m inel for tpe, this ones for freeCool

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Obviously my Wolfpack bias is going to show here but I'm going to say disagree. The Wolfpack have a pretty easy schedule for the rest of the season and as long as they can feast on worse teams like Baltimore and Tampa Bay and hope that Chicago keep dropping points the Wolfpack will sneak into the playoffs as the #4 seed in the East in a season where they weren't expected to do much.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Again, no. The West has two bigwig teams in Kelowna and Anchorage, and Newfoundland have their own rival in the East in Carolina. I think one of those three teams could beat the Beserkers in a series, whether it be Kelowna's stacked forward core, Anchorage's fantastic blueline and star goalie, or Carolina's well-roundedness. My money's on Carolina beating Newfoundland in the East finals and then losing to Anchorage in the final.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Code:

FOR

Trella inherited a literal dumpster fire.  The first team in SHL history able to go 0-50.  With 6 wins already this season the water is already being poured on.  The current roster will have some increase in TPE & ratings, and via draft and maybe a few trades it is completely feasible that Tampa will hit double digit wins next season.

Against: Of the major trades that have gone down in the past month, Edmonton's move for Theo Morgan stands out as the best of all.

The BUF trade for EVO gives them an extra protection slot for basically free, so they get to protect even more of their insanely deep team and prospect pool, making that stand out as the best recent trade.

[Image: AgentSmith630.gif]
Thanks to @sulovilen, @the5urreal, and @sve7en for the sigs!

Code:

For: I'm currently on pace to hit 61 takeaways this season and I just boosted my stickchecking even higher. The next highest is 5 below me with 3 more games played, 3rd is on my team but has 10 less. I made my player with the exact goal to lead in this category and I want to set records for takeaways now that we use a sim engine that tracks them. My goal is to keep this streak up and hopefully help shift what it means to be a defensive forward in the SHL.

Code:

For: I think we all know the teams that the SHL really needs to add are new, untapped markets like West Virginia and Montana. If we don't see the unveiling of the West Virginia Mountain Mamas and the Montana  Mountain Papas, I expect full scale riots in the street and a mutiny against HO.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

Code:

Code:

This dude eats nails before every game.  He's the first out of the locker room so he can stand by the door and take a punch to the gut from every player.

[Image: Cracker_Pizza_sig.png?ex=6516546d&is=651...bb4003576&]
[Image: pride23gif.gif]

Code:

Against.

There are a few teams that could knock on the Berserker's door, such as Kelowna, The Armada, Carolina, and (not close but somewhat close) Maine. Leaving the Berserkers to have to deal with some troubling coverage. All those teams have their perk players and fitting quirks so it would be silly to say something like this.