Create Account

(Graded) Deep Dive #2 - S55 SMJHL Top 5 Draft Review and Re-Draft
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020, 12:28 PM by StamkosFan.)

Today I'm going to be taking a look at the most recent SMJHL draft to see how things have changed in the short month since then. It is most certainly too early to do a re-draft that you could put any real stock in, this draft is recent enough that any of these guys could massively alter the trajectory of their careers. But let's do it anyway for fun. I'm going to primarily be considering TPE, simming performance this year, player history on the forums and bankroll.

1st Overall - Zdenko Beranek, RW, QCC
Zdenko slotted in as the top pick in the S55 junior draft and it makes perfect sense considering ztevans track record on the site. Though Zdenko's rookie campaign has been reasonably successful as he's amassed 14 points in 37 games, his SHL draft stock has fallen considerably since the junior draft in my eyes. Ztevans still sports a nearly $100M bank account and Beranek is likely a lock for the first round, but he has missed enough TP opportunities that I believe several other draft eligible players have edged him at this point.

2nd Overall - Xavier Doom, C, STL
Xavier Doom's story is not radically different from Zdenko Beranek's. Both players have a solid history on the forum with big bank accounts, but have just not been able to maintain consistency with their point tasks. Xavier has managed to sim as a responsible bottom 6 option for the Scarecrows, but I think it is safe to say he will not be cracking the top 3 of the upcoming pro draft. 

3rd Overall - Lucas Johansson, LW, MET
Johansson rounds out our top 3 forwards and his story as eerily similar to Zdenko and Xavier. JR is a 4 year forum veteran with a big bank account, albeit not as big as the other 2 mentioned previously. But just like the other two, Johansson has not been able to consistently complete PTs and has lost the most draft stock of the top 3. I have to believe all 3 of these forwards will be drafted in the first round because of the very high skill floor their histories and bank accounts imply, but all 3 certainly could have done more.

4th Overall - Vili Afalava, RD, NBB
We have encountered our first defenseman of the draft class. Afalava has to have one of the very highest floors of the entire class and despite falling off of point tasks even harder than the top 3 of this class, he is one of the players in the draft I would be most comfortable taking in the first round. Wasty has a hell of a history on this forum and the biggest bank account I have seen. He has been inconsistent enough that he is likely to fall slightly in the draft class, but I believe whoever he falls to is landing an absolute steal and potential future hall of famer. It could be my NBB bias showing, but I have no concerns about Afalava. He has not had the greatest rookie sim, but he is playing big minutes on the worst defensive team in the league. 

5th Overall - Aleksander Kozlov, C, CAR
In my eyes Kozlov has panned out better than any other top 5 selection. Flappy is a 3 year site veteran with a great history, big bank account and the big difference maker, he has missed no opportunities to collect TPE sitting 20 ahead of the rest of the top S55 top 5. The future is certainly bright for a Kraken team that is already near the top of the league.

That sums up how things shook down last month. Now I'm going to list my personal top 5 S56 SHL eligible players. This is based solely on the criteria laid out at the beginning of my post, I am not at all considering the positional needs of the teams that may be drafting in the top 5.

Hypothetical 5th Overall - Yngve Simonsson, LW

Rounding out my top 5 is Yngve Simonsson. Initially drafted 11th, he has gone on to be a top 10 TPE earner in the draft class and is one of the longest tenured active forum members. While Jumper does not have the bank account of some of the players that topped the junior draft, I believe his consistency in completing point tasks and long history on the forum is enough to push him into my top 5 in this re-draft. Simonsson projects as a puckhandling, playmaker winger with some of the best skating in the class.

Hypothetical 4th Overall - Sachimo Zoidberg III, LD
Initially drafted 44th overall in the junior draft, Zoidberg has proven to be one of the biggest steals of the year. I am not sure how Zoidberg fell so far considering Jala's history on the site and his bank account, but every one else's loss was certainly Nokozoa and Jayhawk's gain as Zoidberg has instantly stepped into a top pairing role with the Nevada Battleborn and has proven himself as one of the brightest offensive D prospects in the league. In addition to a history of being active and a very hefty bank account, Zoidberg has also managed to miss minimal TP opportunities as he currently sits with more than 250 points accumulated. 

Hypothetical 3rd Overall - Rock Strongo, C
Strongo was initially taken 7th overall by the Colorado Raptors, which in retrospect is slightly too low for the highly coveted C. Laffs forever has predictably panned out, he has a long and documented history with one of the oldest active accounts on the forums and a 9 digit bank account to boot. Strongo has been a top earner of the class and crossed 260 TPE this week. We are entering a realm of surefire superstars. If Strongo can keep up with his PTs, and he's given nobody any reason to doubt him, he will almost certainly realize his potential of a franchise changing centreman. 

Hypothetical 2nd Overall - Bane, RD
Bane is unlikely to actually be drafted this high as this seems to be a forward's draft, but he will undoubtedly enter the SHL draft as the top defensive prospect, edging out junior teammate Sachimo Zoidberg III. Bane is a much anticipated recreate, and WinterIsComing also boasts a 9 digit bank account. Being the only Dman to cross 260 points in the class, he is the most surefire blueline prospect a pro team can find in this class and projects to become an elite all situations defenseman.

Hypothetical 1st Overall - Alexander Kozlov, C

I don't think anybody will be surprised by who tops the draft class. FlappyGiraffe doesn't have the tenure that some of the other players on this list too, but he does have that ever important 9 digit bank account, and he is coming off an incredibly successful career. He currently leads the entire class in TPE and there is no reason to believe that will change ahead of the draft. He has all of the makings of a future superstar and arguably enters the draft with the highest floor and highest ceiling. While I think it is possible Strongo could go first, I think passing on Kozlov is too great a risk for any SHL GM to action. In the end Kozlov remains the only player of the original top 5 to maintain a top 5 spot in my re-draft.

APPROVED +5 TPE @Arayvenn

[Image: qqfzCsq.png]

WiC might not (and should not) be a 1st round SHL pick. His track record of flaming out and going IA around 300-400 TPE is well-documented. He's far from the most sure-fire defensive prospect, for these reasons.

If Bane can stick with it this time, he could probably end up a steal when he's taken around the 3rd round in the SHL draft.

Solid analysis otherwise!

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]