Create Account

(Graded) Deep Dive #1 - History of SMJHL Team Names (Pt. 1)
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020, 04:57 PM by StamkosFan.)

Having recently discovered the neat visual history of SHL teams, I thought it might be interesting to take a quick look into the history of team name changes in the SMJHL. This turned out to be a little bit longer than I expected, so I have split this deep dive into a two part series which I hope will count from the grading perspective. If not, I'll go back to the drawing board. As they are both brand new expansion teams, I have not included the Quebec City Citadelles or the Nevada Battleborn in this dive.

Apologies to teams if I've made any mistakes, just going off what I was able to find around the forum.

History of SMJHL Team Names Part 1

Anaheim Outlaws

[Image: OTbCYAZ.png]

Originally founded in Season 45 by Dangles13, the Anaheim Outlaws are one of four teams in the SMJHL that have not (yet) undergone a name change or significant re-branding. At one point during the team’s history they did change the logo to show an outlaw rabbit in a bandana to replace the human outlaw, but otherwise things have remained pretty consistent. The team has had only three GMs in its history, with BDonini taking the lead for the last 3 seasons. So far, the Anaheim Outlaws have won two 4 Star Cups. 

Anchorage Armada

[Image: S3h0VpX.png]

In Season 1, Gibson founded a team called the Prince George Firebirds. The team played 16 seasons under eleven different GMs, during which time they donned a fiery red and orange angry bird logo on their sweaters. As the Prince George Firebirds, the team won three 4 Star Cups. In Season 18, the team was moved to Regina where they became the Force. The Regina Force, represented by a moose dressed up by a Mountie, played in the league for six seasons under two different GMs. Despite its amazing branding, the Regina Force were not able to win a 4 Star Cup. In Season 25, the team reverted to its roots and moved back to Prince George where it once again became the Firebirds. In Season 38, the team was able to nab another 4 Star Cup. 16 seasons and six GMs later, the team re-branded once again to become the more familiar Anchorage Armada. Anchorage has had the same GM for ten seasons now.

Summary:

Anchorage Armada (S42 – Present) – 4 Star Cup (x1)
^ Prince George Firebirds (S25-S41) – 4 Star Cup (x1)
^ Regina Force (S18 – S24)
^ Prince George Firebirds (S1-S17) – 4 Star Cup (x3)
^ Founded S1 by Gibson

20 General Managers in team history

Carolina Kraken

[Image: Xx6w0pr.png]

In Season 1, Leafs4stanley founded a team called the Brandon Blazers. The team played just 3 seasons under this branding under two GMs before moving to Montreal where it would stay for the next 46 seasons. From Season 4 to Season 27 the team played as the Montreal Impact under ten different GMs. During this time, the team won five 4 Star Cups. In Season 28, the team changed its branding to the Montreal Militia and won another 4 star cup before playing another 21 seasons under the leadership of seven different GMs. In Season 50 the team was moved out of Montreal and more drastically and brightly re-branded as the Carolina Kraken. In Seasons 50 and 54, the team continued to enjoy its success when it won the 4 Star Cup two more times. 

Summary:

Carolina Kraken (S50 – Present) – 4 Star Cup (x2)
^ Montreal Militia (S28 – S49) – 4 Star Cup (x3)
^ Montreal Impact (S4-27) – 4 Star Cup (x4)
^ Brandon Blazers (S1-S3)
^ Founded S1 by Leafs4stanley

18 General Managers in team history

Colorado Raptors

[Image: axbBtzE.png]
The Colorado Mammoths were founded in Season 25 by ThatDamnWalrus. Two seasons later, the Mammoths won their first 4 Star Cup. After playing 16 seasons under the leadership of six different GMs, the team was rebranded as the Colorado Raptors. The team has maintained that branding since Season 42 and played under four more GMs.

Summary:

Colorado Raptors (S42 – Present)
^ Colorado Mammoths (S25-S41) – 4 Star Cup (x1)
^ Founded S25 by ThatDamnWalrus

10 General Managers in team history

745 words

APPROVED +5 TPE @Kyamprac

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid and swoosh for sigs!