Create Account

Taylor Johansson Rookie Recap

It was always going to be a long road but Taylor Johansson has been committed to the goal of a championship since he came up a year early into the Simulation Hockey League. Toronto has been in the midst of a rebuild and are starting to turn the corner from a Total Points Earned perspective, and have many more actives playing. While they may not have gotten the wins they wanted during the season they started numerous rookies. It also doesn't help they play in the most brutal of divisions in the league. It may look like they took a step backwards, but the experience they have gained over the course of this season and moves made in the season should set up well for next season. Speaking of this past season it was a roller coaster ride as a rookie for Johansson.

After getting the call up to the show he made the transition from Center to Right Wing. It took awhile for him to get his bearings as the season started but eventually came into his own. Taylor scored 4 goals and had 9 assists for a total of 13 points in the 50 game season. His Plus/Minus was also an abysmal -36. On the bright side his shooting percentage was very high compared to his time in the SMJHL, and he had more takeaways than giveaways. A trend he hope continues as a counterattacking forward. One of the biggest issues he faced this season was a lack of conditioning. Something his GM's consistently were on him about. He was unable to just skate by other players and lacked the necessary stamina to play multiple times a week. In the minors he was able to get by because of the 4th line but in the SHL there isn't that luxury. So that means more ice time and over the course of the first month or so of the season he was really starting to wear down. After working on increasing his conditioning he can finally begin concentrating on increasing his speed and physicality to keep up with the other forwards in the game.

When asked what he was most looking forward to now that the season was over he had this to say,
"Playing for Sweden. I love the International play and it gives me a chance to do some things a little differently than I would playing for Toronto or Anaheim. I'm always looking to learn and if I can soak up as much information from as many different people that should make me better in the long run. Wagstrom is someone I rarely get to see during the season but I get to spend a lot of time with them during the IIHF. Same goes with Rikard Hammarberg. We haven't seen each other in awhile so it should be good to catch up and get back on the ice together. It's just a different dynamic. I'm hoping to come back to training camp in Toronto with a few more skills and carry my weight on the third line more this year".

[Image: 15Ng51w.png][Image: draNOgf.png]