Create Account

Looking Back at the S53 Draft class

Code:
800? words and graph/table
2x Draft Media

Now that we are heading to the end of the S53 reign in the Juniors I wanted to look at the draft class and where everyone was ranked (Also partly because I'm in this draft class). There are still some massive earners who played in the Juniors this year and should have a big impact this season, especially with offseason TPE still to come. 

I pulled the data from the Player Analyzer and then pulled draft position from the draft central page. I went into everyone's update page to see what their TPE was with a cutoff of the update before the Sunday March 10th draft day. Obviously guys like ml/Ace and the other GM's get taken way later than they normally would for their TPE, bank, and activity level so that can skew the numbers just slightly. Also, the fact that goalies go way later in the draft compared to their activity level would be portrayed more if Frans Eller wasn't the only goalie from this class to be in the top 20. Other classes may be slightly different. For example S52 has 4 goalies in the top 20.

There were some changes in the top round but nothing too crazy. Ambacas Cuddles current TPE compared to his draft position drops him down to the end of the First Round but TPE wise not a massive difference. Bradley Barkov and Erben Kasius are the only two players who would have fallen into the second based on their current TPE levels. Once we get into the second round the changes are a lot more noticeable. Frederick Waneslyis a couple hundred TPE behind players taken around him and picks 25-27 Chris de Siren, Ziggy Tambo, and Hiroshi Ohira all have failed to be consistent earners for their SHL clubs so far. Toki Wartooth was a high risk high reward pick and has lived up to that by not earning a single TPE since the draft. 

Outside of obvious risers of Frans Eller and Axel Meszaros, A Jobin has raised his perceived draft to TPE ranking by 10. Taken at 35, he now sits at 26 in terms of TPE. Carlos Brown (42 to 31 ) and Patric Twist (47 to 32) are two of the biggest risers and both were taken by Atlanta in the expansion draft. Looks like their hard work has paid off and both could get ample playing time. Alexander Roach had the largest increase. Taken in the fourth round at 55, he now sits at 28 in terms of TPE. 

Looking at the best earners from Pre draft TPE to Post draft we see that Steve Harrington has been the best earner slightly. He was a for sure top 3 pick and has earned at a high rate to justify it. Ryuuji Minamino is only 1 TPE behind Harrington and was taken at 11. Similarly, we see Reid Sutherland, a late Round 1 pick, as the 4th highest earner since draft day. Edward William and Jaska Seppala have fallen a little behind others that were drafted behind them but still fall within the top 11 in terms of total TPE. The second round is the big decider between the good and meh drafts it seems. A handful of picks in the second round have fallen behind others in the class while others have made large gains or stayed steady. Eric Hudson, Rocco Berni and Burlok Sulfurgold were early second round picks and now fall within the first round TPE gainers. Others like Ethan Price, Rikard Hammarberg, Taylor Johansson have stayed pretty even near that value or moved up a handful of spots. A lot of value can be found or lost in the second round. Only a couple of third round picks are still earning at a decent pace. Kriss Darzins, Andrei Kostitsyn, and the 3 high risers mentioned before (Brown, Twist, Jobin) are the steadiest earners so far of that group. 

It will be fun to see how this class plays this year in the SHL. Toronto called up all of their prospects in this class for example, but their are some high profile earners ready to make their debut for other teams. Coming into the league between 900 and 1k TPE should put these guys in the driver seat for Rookie of the Year honors and it will probably be a tough battle between guys like Harrington, Wagner, Minamino, Rocco, etc. 

With a lot of the rest of this class presumably moving up to the SHL this year it will be interesting to see how this class fares in the next few years as older classes move towards regression. A few fantasy team winners, trade bait, Challenge Cup champions, maybe even a Ron Mexico or Sarmad Khan trophy? Who knows. 

[Image: AGNXcwT.jpg]

[Image: 15Ng51w.png][Image: draNOgf.png]

Wait, where's your cup badge @Tayjay

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

09-10-2020, 02:35 PMNhamlet Wrote: Wait, where's your cup badge @Tayjay
I didn't get one??

Ilike

Player Page || Update Thread
[Image: ffBCCRQ.png]

09-10-2020, 02:36 PMTayjay Wrote:
09-10-2020, 02:35 PMNhamlet Wrote: Wait, where's your cup badge @Tayjay
I didn't get one??
Head over here and let 'em know! I guess your win was right before that started it.

Also thanks for the blast from the past media. Looking forward to another one in a few season to see how our class holds up.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

Good stuff! These first gens are crazy tpe earners man, blowin me out Smile love to see it though, its great for the league

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2020, 02:43 PM by Tayjay.)

You are the best, thanks!

get that money

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

lime

Nice to see that I fit my name nicely

[Image: Fred.png]
[Image: PeZ8eh1.png] [Image: r2pSvNf.png]

great memories

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

Aight but how many S53’s have a challenge cup?

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

09-10-2020, 10:43 PMZombiewolf Wrote: Aight but how many S53’s have a challenge cup?
attacked

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

09-10-2020, 10:43 PMZombiewolf Wrote: Aight but how many S53’s have a challenge cup?
Challenge Cup gang

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]