Create Account

Minnesota Monarchs Logo Breakdown

As Gibbles announced here, the Minnesota Chiefs have now been rebranded to the Minnesota Monarchs! I wanted to go through my process of how the name/logo came about, colour options, and all that jazz for those who are interested.

For the name, I wanted something that was reflective of Minnesota so I started researching symbols of their state. Turns out, the state butterfly is the monarch butterfly. This was the ideal end brand, a monarch butterfly, however, illustrated logos aren't my strong suit and I struggled to make a butterfly look badass. This then turned into taking it from another angle, being a king. It still kept the authority-like figure like a chief as well as used the name "monarchs." 

My original colour scheme was going to be reflective of the monarch butterfly, using the main colour in the logo as orange on the beard, gold crown and deep blue robes, jewels, and sceptre. This obviously is not the colour scheme decided now, as Gibbles had a different vision for the rebrand, so we compromised. My very first proposal actually used the original Minny colours being green, red and yellow which we also almost considered but went with this one instead.

So! For the logo itself, it mostly stayed the same through all iterations. The general shape of it was pretty consistent. I'll put a timeline at the bottom of this post lol. The wordmark ended up changing as well as the addition of the sceptre. We also considered not having the sceptre at all, and also abandoning the shoulders and robes of the king as well and just use the head. All the assets are on our team info page of all those versions for sigs and stuff so go buck wild. The colour palette now is reminiscent of the Mighty Ducks Movie jerseys which are another reference to Minnesota. 

[Image: minny_timeline.png]
There's the timeline relatively from start to finish haha. We went from ginger to glitter beards back to ginger and then settled on the grey/charcoal beard. The crown has a little bit of an M shape to it, at least at the front for the double M. 

But yeah! that's all there really is to it. I had a lot of fun working on this, it was awesome practice for me since illustrated logos are kind of a weak point for me. Jerseys should be announced soon-ish, once my photoshop decides to stop shitting itself.  Enjoy and thank u for reading :3

Code:
415 words

[Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Thanks again for all the hard work you put into this rebrand. <3

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!