Create Account

S56 mPT #0 - Bold (ish) Predictions

As we await the beginning of the S56 season, I asked some members of the PT Team extended family to come up with some bold predictions about the upcoming season. You've got two options for what to do with these:

(a) - pick one of the below predictions and explain why it's WRONG

(b) - pick one of the below predictions and explain why it's not actually bold

For submitting a response of 25+ words, you'll get 1 TPE. Several members who go above and beyond will be awarded a bonus TPE.

Deadline: Sunday, September 27th at 11:59PM ET

This task is for SHL players and send downs only, it is not for SMJHL rookies.

Code:
Tampa Bay will not finish with the worst record this season - San Francisco will

Code:
The Toronto North Stars will finish with fewer points than the Seattle Argonauts

Code:
Neither expansion team will make the playoffs

Code:
Chicago will win the President's Trophy

Code:
Texas will be the top team in the Western Conference

Code:
The winner of the McBride Award (top goaltender) will come from the Atlantic Division

Code:
New Orleans will see a significant decline and barely make the playoffs

Code:
The long reign of Edmonton and Calgary is over - neither of these teams will finish the season atop the Northwest Division standings

Code:
Neither Buffalo nor Hamilton will make the Challenge Cup finals

Code:
There will be no major scandals during the season

Code:
Monkey D Luffy, extra TPE and all, will have a worse season than he did in S55

Code:
Someone from the S53 draft class will win rookie of the year

Code:
The Nevada Battleborn will win the Four Star Cup

Code:
The Detroit Falcons will return to dominance and be a top 3 team in the SMJHL regular season

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 12:11 AM by Rotti.)

Code:

Incorrect. It'd take some serious FHM trickery for this to not happen. Both of these teams are so far above all the rest in the East I just can't see it being a possibility. One of these two teams are in the finals, no doubt about it.

[Image: rotti.gif]

Code:
The Toronto North Stars will finish with fewer points than the Seattle Argonauts

b) This isn't bold at all. Toronto, despite an improving forward corps, lost a little under 1k TPE to the defense this season with trading Kanoff. Pound the under like I'm pounding shots back trying to get to next season.

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

sus

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

This is obviously wrong because hotdog is a great Gm and he built a great team and we have so much talent and got all the star free agents that I can’t imagine this being the case so this prediction is super wrong
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 12:13 AM by goldenglutes.)

Code:

This is so wrong you don't even know @hotdog what an idiotic take egg on your face even @Gwdjohnson is laughing at you. Imagine disrespecting the Seattle Argonauts like that it's so unbelievable how can you walk around putting zero respect on @notorioustig's name it's so disgusting how can you even live with yourself with a take like that

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

Code:
The long reign of Edmonton and Calgary is over - neither of these teams will finish the season atop the Northwest Division standings

Although both teams have gone through some roster changes and regression, I believe that the teams of Edmonton and Calgary will continue to perform and Edmonton should be atop the Northwest at season's end. The  Blizzard have young players inserted in their lineup and should give the team a youthful boost of energy this season.

Code:
55 words

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 12:16 AM by yosh.)

Code:

Incorrect. The Newfoundland Berserkers, despite losing many of its top players to SHL call ups, will still dominate the Simulation Major Junior Hockey League en route to a back to back Four Star Cup. Maybe this is blatant homerism working its way in, but I think this is the way. Nevertheless, Nevada will become true contenders around Season 57 or 58.

WC: 61

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: gospklL.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 02:30 PM by _Blitz_.)

Quote:There will be no major scandals during the season.

I Disagree.

I may have only been here since S51, but every season has had something. 40 Passing, the transition to FHM, open 3Cs in the Playoffs, management changes, bad trades, stupid Thunderdomes. There's always a scandal or some kind of drama. The question is "What will it be?".

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

"There will be no major scandals during the season"

I'm an optometrist, not a pessimist, so I'll bet yes. We'll somehow survive without any big scandals, but the year after will have extra scandals to compensate, with 3 GMs, an IIHF head, and an updater being fired and given wedgies for tampering.

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of John Torrance: Advisor to the General Manager - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of Anatoli Terrorov: Head Coach - Colorado Raptors

Nick Brain Player Profile: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91326
Nick Brain Update Thread: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91332

Code:
The Detroit Falcons will return to dominance and be a top 3 team in the SMJHL regular season

Not all that bold, Detroit still has Thor Odinson on the team and he's a challenge cup winning benchwarmer. Throw some sandbag bodies out on the ice and let the god go to work - he'll shoulder the load better than anyone.

[Image: Thor-Hockey_2.gif]
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2020, 02:38 AM by hockeyiscool.)

Code:

Code:
Tampa Bay will not finish with the worst record this season - San Francisco will

Probably the most beige prediction of them all, not bold in the slightest. Yes, San Francisco is playing in the weaker western conference. However dealing with a 12 million dollar cap penalty was roster crippling and this will lead to San Francisco being the team with less wins. I think the GMs are doing a great job considering their circumstances.
Code:
Code:

I think Toronto will finish with fewer points than Seattle Argonauts. Seattle plays in a really weak western conference and has a stacked defensive squad. Additionally, Toronto needs to do better than Hamilton who just became loaded after free agency. Buffalo, who is playing with a peaking Monkey D. Luffy and Chicago who has the highest TPE of the three teams. I think it would take a miracle for Toronto to win more than 15 games this season.
Code:
Code:

Wrong, Atlanta will make the playoffs as the second seed. It's a bold prediction though.
In a division where Manhattan is the only sure thing to come out of the Atlantic, It's easy to say that Atlanta and New England will be the other two teams representing the Atlanta come play-offs.
Code:
Code:

Although they have the highest TPE of all of the teams. They are front loaded in lines. I think they'll be beaten out by Manhattan
Code:
Code:
Texas will be the top team in the Western Conference

I don't think this is a very bold prediction. I actually have Texas finishing as the second team in the Western Conference. Their core has come of age to where they have tremendous depth in a crippled western conference. The only contender should be the perennial winner Edmonton.
Code:
Code:
The winner of the McBride Award (top goaltender) will come from the Atlantic Division

I think this is one of the hottest takes. Great Lakes is going to produce the top goaltender in the league unless someone from the Atlantic picks up Free Agent Slash
Code:
Code:
New Orleans will see a significant decline and barely make the playoffs

I think this is a good read. New Orleans lost a ton in Free Agency. Losing role player Michael Fox, Mika Mayfield to free agency. Additionally losing Serpe to retirement was just a dagger in the heart.
Code:
Code:
I think the take is delusional. Either Edmonton or Calgary is going to end up atop the Northwest.

Code:
Code:

That is a bold prediction, one that'll fall flat. The only scenario where Hamilton doesn't make the Challenge Cup final is that Aaron Wilson blows up in the Hamilton locker room and retires his player as is.
Code:
Code:
There will be no major scandals during the season

I think this'll be a relatively tame regular season compared to the last season where we found a GM getting fired and 2 GMs/CO rage quitting.
Code:
Code:
Monkey D Luffy, extra TPE and all, will have a worse season than he did in S55

I think Luffy will have a worse season than he did last season. He's playing in a division that in theory got a little bit better. In addition rumor has it he'll have less playing time than last season taking a back seat to Hippo Passamus. Luffy also lost one of his major role players in Michael Scarn.  
Code:
Code:
Someone from the S53 draft class will win rookie of the year

I think this prediction is a spot on. I think Rookie of the year will either be Steve Harrington or Zoltan Topalo. Word on the street is both will be playing first line for their respective teams. It just depends on how much of an impact they have in their respective roles.
Code:
Code:

Give it one more season, these guys have a great atmosphere that should breed excellence. However, I think this year Boat team will finally not be bad and BOAT team will be good (curse moved to Seattle).

Code:
Code:
This is just delusional. This has been a team decimated by poor drafting and the calling up of the backbones of their team. I think it's more likely that Detroit Falcons will be a bottom 3 team in the SMJHL regular season than a top 3 team.

Some whacky ass shit would need to happen in order for neither of Edmonton or Calgary to be atop the division come season end, and if you truly believe one of them won't be I'd love to have a hit of whatever it is you're smoking.

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

Code:

Against. While I would enjoy for this to happen, I think we'll finish 3rd in the division again. Hamilton had an insane off season and Buffalo lost a little but will still be contenders for top in the league. This is merely the Great Lakes, not even taking into account the rest of the league.

[Image: jrousseau.gif]
[Image: j7ebBxQ.png] [Image: FbT2Pb1.png]
Canada Knights Canada Knights Canada

Code:

This is wrong entirely because they will be going up against plenty of tough competition, especially considering the Anchorage Armada are bringing back their strong defense with even more players reaching their 425 and 350 caps.

[Image: lazer2.png]