Create Account

S56 SMJHL PT #1 - Training Days

Congratulations on being drafted! The hard work starts now - but first you're going to need to get to know your teammates.

Written option: Write about a team-building exercise your team did and describe how some players acted and reacted during and after the event. Must include 150 words.

Graphic option: Make an image depicting a couple of members of your team participating in a team-building exercise or hanging out together in the locker room. Must include the team logo somewhere.

Reward
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)

Only S56 SMJHL Rookies (S57 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT.

Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.

Deadline: Sunday, September 27th @ 11:59pm ET

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

To welcome the rookies to Nevada, the Battle Born brought us out to the desert and left us there to find our way back to the arena. The supplies they left us with were anything we would have had at the rink. Our full uniform and equipment from skates to gloves to sticks to stick tape was the most clearly useful of these supplies. We fashioned our skates into shoes by removing the blades attaching them to our sticks for self defense. To do this we used stick tape. Some of the boys wanted to goof around and fight with them, but quickly got tired out and realized that if we wanted to survive this ordeal we'd need to conserve what little water was available to us so they stopped fighting.

As for rations we were given all 3000 hotdogs from the arena hotdog stand and roughly 10600 gallons of water to symbolize how much water is on the ice.

All in all it was pretty easy to make it out. They also left us with arena carts so we ended up driving back in a couple of hours. Sniff lost 3 liters of blood to a bad gash on his ribs from the skate-on-stick fights.

[Image: T8nB5Dn.png][Image: KXZ8h4k.png]
[Image: duderino.gif]

Clint Eastwood, Jun 10 2018,  09:36 AM Wrote:Can't buy love, but love can buy a lot.

To help the Anchorage Armada rookies bond with their new teammates, the Armada staff prepared what they thought would be an easy task for the entire team. The team was split off into groups and taken into the Alaskan wilderness, forced to survive for 3 days. Pablo Salvatici was paired up with Bork Lazer and Scoochie Stratton, two veteran members of the team. This quickly proved to be a bad idea as Bork immediately brought out a flask he had smuggled in and proceeded to get shitfaced, leaving Pablo and Schoochie to have to not only protect themselves but also this drunk chad. The first night proved to be fairly easy as the two were able to make a fire and sleep in shifts, keeping relative safety. The second day however, a hungover Bork managed to lead a pack of wolves back to their camp after he dunked his head in a nearby pond to wake himself up. Pablo and Scoochie were able to scare them off with the fire, but it started to rain soon after while led to an absolutely miserable night for the three teammates. Anyways they did end up surviving the three days and were brought back into the city by team officials where they met all but one other teammate. Turg Turg seemingly went feral the second he was released into the wilderness and is still being tracked down. All in all just a horrible time for everyone.

[Image: Jepox.gif]
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 07:45 AM by Waters.)

The Detroit Falcons only added a handful of new rookies this season, so the team coming into the year is already a pretty tight-knit group. However, it remains tradition for the team to hold the same team-building exercise every season. The exercise involves splitting the roster into teams of 5 and 6. It is a relay race of sorts, with every skater required to do 200 laps around the rink, but in no specific order (i.e. one skater could do all 200 at once theoretically, or 1 and then pass it off to the next). The skater who does the most laps uninterrupted on the winning team gets a 50k bonus while everyone else on the team gets a 25k bonus. It combines the requirement for individual tenacity with understanding when to pass the torch. The winning team was Gelos, DD, Aalto, Granny and Taste, with big EG taking home the individual prize after he managed 84 laps while barely slowing down. Pretty nuts from the 2nd overall pick.

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

After a long long long offseason, finally the first day of being a falcon started.
On the first day at the Falcons training facility we did a lot of fun stuff, like getting checked by a doctor, waiting for our corona tests to come back, trying to social distance and wearing masks. After we got our test results, all of us were thankfully negative we could start the real team building the Team had prepared for us. We were all making our way to a private bowling alley to get some quality time in. As a complete noob, I failed a lot and managed to hit a different lane with my first ball. Others seemed to be much better with this wacky game, like the other rookie guy or one of the veterans. I barely understood any names because they all talk kind of weird, hopefully I get to know all of them much better as the season goes on.

Colorado Raptors have an unbelievable locker room, veterans and team leaders are always present and ready to step up to lend a helping hand for us rookies. S56 smjhl draft brought in six new recruits to the team and like most traditions in hockey the hazing began.

The six of us were air lifted by helicopter right after our Sunday afternoon casual pre-season practice. Blind folded and without any regard for our well being, were abducted right out of the Raptors locker room and drugged to sleep. Next thing we know we are fully dressed in winter attire and left a top a mountain peak. Quickly coming too with the cold breeze hitting us in the face, RESO and McOoooh acted quickly and began searching for shelter. Fetersnatch dazed and confused kept standing up and sinking knee high into the snow. Myself, Rosejac, Motz and Herman scurried about and also joined the search party for some shelter.

No shelter was found but instead a couple sets of skiing equipment by a group of pine trees and a note were found. A note from JURT telling us to quickly grab the equipment and start heading down the mountain. The catch, there was six of us but only 3 sets of equipment. RESO was quick to react, and jumped into survival mode and grabbed a set, Herman and Rosejac followed until a loud yell from McOoooh said, " wait up, six of us and just 3 sets????"...silence followed. Quick match, 2 options, share the skies and have one ski each???? or Have the biggest and strongest dress up and carry the other piggy back style all the way down the mountain! We voted option two, boy was it painful but dam did we bond and get to know one another.

[Image: bVSLWwI.gif]
[Image: zdXC6eb.png] [Image: r6dZEGN.png] [Image: 8b7dmkE.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 09:57 AM by 3lewsers.)

As a rookie Berserker, I wanted to try a new team building exercise with the crew. Now, with Covid in full swing, Sumo Wrestling was out of the question, as well as any other contact event. I decided to go with Chariot Racing, but instead of horses, we towed them. So, we paired up and took turns pulling each other through an on-ice obstacle course. The course consisted of a large-scale teeter-totter that when descending caused numerous crashes and concussions. The injuries were a direct result of the difficulty in trying to control a chariot weighing about a thousand pounds (including passengers) while plummeting down a 30 degree hill. This hill was made of pure, slick Newfoundland ice that was pre-slicked with spring water harvested directly from Gros Morne National Park. There were no winners in this event, but there were many memories made that day. There is a new camaraderie formed between the veterans and the new rookies in Newfoundland. This exercise makes a great team stronger, and as the injuries subside, the lessons are learned.

(177 words)

[Image: U9GyyHt.jpg]

It's a little-known fact that Teylora Petrov was, in fact, one of the principal reasons why Jari Heikkinen was drafted to Quebec City. Although they scarcely know each-other, Petrov was one of only a few players in the draft to have some firsthand experience in playing against Heikkinen. For that reason, the first day of practice saw Heikkinen matched up alongside Petrov in what was, it must be said, a horrible mismatch in terms of skill. Heikkinen missed passes, gave up the puck, and all around just couldn't hang on in the higher speed SMJHL game -- even practice. Recognizing that Heikkinen was playing worse than he had even in Finland, Petrov spoke up and got the entire team together for an outing after that practice, aimed at making some of the newer players feel more comfortable.

It wasn't anything crazy -- they started by introducing the rookies to a couple of the better eateries on the town, before taking them out to the baseball pitch for a pick-up game. Effectively nobody was any good at the game, except for maybe the goaltender Mat Smith. And that's just because he was situated behind home plate to catch the ball. But, it was that feeling of team-wide incompetence that made the game fun and got everyone gelling together a bit better. After that, they had celebratory -- non-alcoholic -- drinks and went their separate ways.

The next morning, Heikkinen and his fellow rookies played significantly better. There's still a lot of work left to put in, but it was that one team outing that really alleviated a lot of the stress that fell upon their shoulders as new rookies -- and chances are, there'll be more to come.

[Image: wopo0De.png]
Signature Credit: Wasty

After the first practice of the season, the team took us rooks to Boon's Fish House & Oyster Room, down by the piers. This annual tradition does a few things. It serves as a team meeting about the expectations of the upcoming season, and gets the rookies acquainted with the vets. It also gave me an introduction to the great seafood the team gets to enjoy due to their location in Maine. Im told the team always reserves the huge ballroom on the second floor, and they really turned the evening into a real event. We played Charades and Monikers, and some of the vets acted out skits that roasted the coaching staff, and took jabs at us rookies. Its mostly inside jokes that the rookies have yet to understand, and I am pretty sure my eyes glazed over from some of it. A lot of fake laughing on my part, due to not understanding their insider banter. It really showed me how tight knit this team is, and I am excited to get to know everyone more!

[Image: d2EaZfr.png]
Former Player

The team's coach decided that there would be a water polo practice instead of a regular practice for those of us that knew how to swim well enough. In my youth, my dad felt like swimming should be a big and important part of my weekly training. It seems like the coach and my dad know each others? Anyway, after having fun and talking for some time, the coaches asked us to choose 2 captains to start building the teams. The only mandatory thing was that the team captain had to be first year rookies. The chosen captains were Ruggs (red team)and Wally (blue team) and the Blue team won fair and square. The older guys really made us feel like tight knited team. It was a blast even though we understood how some of these guys were physically way more in shape than us. After the 1 hour game, the coaches decided to complete the training with some water plyometrics and I never have had a tougher workout.

I really liked the idea of changing our workout routine while still having a lot of fun. It makes us feel at home.

[Image: QhAQn2i.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: yIvjn4j.png]

The ancient Aztecs had them with tlalcuas, the Greeks had them with teletourgías, and, as is tradition with most SMJHL teams, Nevada Battleborn have their own rituals.

These rituals range in form and function, but always serve the same purpose - to bring the team closer together. Whether it be a post-game beer, which inevitably concludes with a 4-minute, 20-man hug good-bye, or pre-game Hymns (notably, this is just watching a Dodge truck commercial and, at the end, chanting "Let's go Sam Elliot, Let's go"), the Nevada Battleborn share a great number of rituals. But what the Battleborn boys had in store for the S56 rookies - Johns, Kekäläinen, Sniff, and Wright - was a ritual they would never forget.

Each season, shortly after the draft, the Nevada Battleborn rent out a karaoke bar, then they get everyone to sing and drink and it's really a fun time. That's all I have to say about that.

Platoon Rob Wright Battleborn

You know what is a little bit awkward? When you're the only new guy in a group of folks that have known each other for a while. Such was the case when Jon St. Ark joined the Vancouver Whalers as their only draft pick in the SMJHL entry draft. Instead of doing a big party or something more formal, a few of the players decided to go out to dinner at one of the nicer restaurants in Vancouver. Name Redacted, the current starting goaltender for the Whalers, decided to choose Le Crocodile in the West-End of Vancouver. Aside from Redacted, a few of the other veterans on the team attended, like Devin Basher, Daniil Nikiforov, Zebulon Leavitt, and Valtterri Kauppinen. After a short time, the alcohol was flowing and the food was flooding out of the kitchen. Although Jon had spent some time with Vancouver prior to the draft, he hadn't truly been embraced by the rest of the team until now. As the night wore on, slowly but surely each person at the table said their goodbyes and got a ride home. Eventually it was just Redacted and St. Ark left. Redacted gave Jon a few words of advice, then left as well. The last one standing, or sitting for that matter, Jon started to gather his things when the waiter approached the table.

"I'm sorry sir, but the bill has not yet been paid," he said, apologetically.

"The... the what?" Jon stammered.

The waiter handed him the bill, which was a few extra digits more than Jon had ever seen for a single dinner. He sighed heavily and reached into his pocket for his wallet.

"That's the last time Redacted gets to pick the restaurant," he muttered.

[Image: v71TGsT.gif]

"Oof, things are definitely different here in Kelowna", thought Vlastislav Malik, as he barreled down towards the opposing net, struggling to keep the puck away from Patrik Money, who was hoping to strip him of the puck again. This was what seemed like the thousandth drill they had run in their first practice. First practice! Back in his home town of Brno, Czech Republic, this sort of intensity would only show up in playoffs! Vlastislav was loving it though. He'd loved every moment from getting draft high in the 2nd round to the Kelowna Knights, getting ribbed by Anna Pontecorvo for getting picked a couple spots behind her, getting to meet the GMs, video-chatting with a few of the vets, and walking into the locker room today for the first time ever. The team atmosphere felt great, always welcoming. Sure, there was the occasional chirp and he was gonna make sure his wallet was loaded for tonight's team dinner, but that's what being a rookie was about!

"BAM"!

All of a sudden, Vlastislav was flying through the air! Lost in thought, he'd just been steamrolled by Teddy Park, one of the team's top defensemen. A solid hitter, he was quickly learning. "Come on rookie, you wanna make the team or what?", barked Teddy, as he picked up the puck along the boards and passed it up to his winger.

"I'm gonna make him look like a fool...", thought Vlastislav as he picked himself up and charged down the ice after Teddy. This season was gonna be great!

[Image: leafs1997.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png]

In preparation for life in southern Alaska, members of the Anchorage Armada organization, from players to coaches, to team store retail workers, were required to participate in a winter swim at Galbraith Lake. Some questions were raised when the fact that Galbraith was a lot further north than Anchorage, but those concerns were quickly hushed with threats of taking the swim session to Watson Lake, the coldest lake in Canada. Most of the front office staff quickly bowed out, whereas the players lasted for a considerable amount of time. After warming back up with a cup of coffee, it was back to Anchorage for the annual Iditarod Trail Race, spanning from Anchorage to Nome, one of the most western parts of Alaska, at a distance of over 500 miles between the two cities. The Armada organization puts a lot of stake into community building exercises, as a big part of living in a cold, isolated place like Alaska, is family.

[Image: izzy.PNG]

After the new rookies met up with the rest of the team, we got taken out to the beach for a team volleyball tournament, but the rookies didn't get to play. Instead we got to be waterboys and make some food. That was it. Trash tier team building, rookie hazing gone soft. Can't say the other rookies had it easy, they didn't seem to enjoy the trash talking by the older guys, but no one knows I can speak English yet so they didn't even bother talking to me. Pretty solid strategy so far, we will see how long I can act like I have no idea what they are saying. Farley Hank got so bored he fell asleep and knocked over the cooler, what a classic scrub. Hopefully the hazing stuff ends there, we will see. I saw a couple guys poking around my locker, gonna have to check everything before I put it on next time just to avoid some stupid pranks or something. 170w