Create Account

The SHL's Best - By Draft Number (5-1) + The Rest
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 02:23 PM by BasedMinkus.)

Welcome to the final instalment of this list where we look at some of the hardest positions to pick just one player from. I want to thank everyone who has sent kind words about this little series and I hoped you all learnt something because I know I did. Before getting to #5, I wanted to highlight every pick spot with who I think is the best overall. I started at #30 because it was a nice number to go with.....but this is a sim league and we all want to get our rocks off to knowing if we are the best. So I will go through every pick after #30. There will be no write-ups just a pick for the best player and a stat or two. Lets go.

#60 - Corporal Asstronaut (Season 10): No good picks at this spot so I went with the guy that played the most games (447).
#59 - Gianni Ciddio (Season 3): 158 points in 234 games.
#58 - Joe Badalato (Season 10): Only guy with more than 10 points in his career(15).
#57 - Zach Voss (Season 2): One of only two players with a goal from this pick number.
#56 - Terry Bullis (Season 10): Carved out a 16 year career finishing with a half a point per game total.
#55 - Giovanni Mortellaro (Season 5): 200 points in 248 games.
#54 - James Truong (Season 46): 256 points, more than all the other players combined (42).
#53 - Commander Shepheard (Season 46): Leads in goals at pick number (124)
#52 - Blowjob Jesus (Season 15): Challenge Cup Champion Goalie.
#51 - Vasily Horvant (Season 31): Has more assists (252) than the rest of the players have points (245)
#50 - Steven Stamkos (Season 16): Not as good as his NHL counterpart finishing with 193 points in 561 games.
#49 - David Fantobens (Season 43): Leads this pick in points with 244.
#48 - John McBride (Season 5): 200+ wins, multiple Challenge Cups and a trophy named after him.
#47 - Romualds Loks (Season 39): Leads pick position with 239 points
#46 - Dean Colt (Season 36): Carved out an incredibly productive 20 year career.
#45 - Alestair Cain (43): All time playoff leader in wins with 80 and well on his way to being the best goalie ever.
#44 - Tibuk Soonika (Season 46): 207 wins and climbing.
#43 - Crossfit Jesus (Season 33): A very impressive career with 517 points in 600 games.
#42 - Vladislav Smirnov (Season 5): Finished with over 400 points in a 19 year career.
#41 - Jack Kennedy (Season 43): 341 points in 449 game.
#40 - Carter Manning (Season 39): Only player with more than 100 points for his career.
#39 - Alex Light (Season 31): Hall of fame career after finishing with 726 points.
#38 - Jakob Tanner (Season 20): One of the most clutch goalies in league history, having won 4 Challenge Cups.
#37 - Dick Clapper (Season 46): His 378 points is 333 points better than the next player at this position.
#36 - Griffin Simons (Season 20): 2 time Challenge Cup winner finished with 563 points in 658 games.
#35 - Jackson Turska (Season 5): Won two cups and a Razov for Playoff MVP.

#34 - Ron Mexico (Season 1) - Hamilton Steelhawks:

Mexico gets his own write up. Is Ron Mexico the great player of all-time? Maybe. Greatest steal of all-time? Definitely. It sucks that Hamilton didn't give Mexico a chance because he dominated the league in his time as a member of the Winnipeg Jets. Mexico finished his career with 549 points. On top of that Mexico has four league MVPs, the most in league history to go along with 3 Khan trophies. Mexico lead the league in scoring twice and took home two challenge cups including the inaugural title. Mexico capped off his career with a spot in the hall of fame.

#33 - Yuri Boyka (Season 20): 500 point player and a 3 time all-star.
#32 - Peter Larson (Season 46): Very respectable 163-113-22 record at a spot of weakness.
#31 - Chester Cunningham (Season 20): 20 year career that resulted in a Dar Award win.

Now without further ado, lets get to number 5.

#5 - Lord Pretty Flacko (season 25) - New England Wolfpack:

Flacko finds himself at the top of a fairly deep #5 pick. In his 19 year career, Flacko lead this position in goals (388) and points (856) in 899 games. From an accolade side, Flacko is a 1 time Challenge Cup Champion, 1 time Khan winner, 2 time goal scoring leader and 2 time points leader which is good enough for the 22nd most accomplished player in league history.

Honourable Mention: Darian Scherbluk

#4 - Esa Anrikkanen (Season 18) - Calgary Dragons:

I flip flopped between Michael McFadden (Winningest goalie in history) and Esa but in the end Esa wins out due to winning a Challenge Cup and McFadden never winning. Esa played a historic 29 seasons, accumulating 514 goals and 1063 points over the span of 1458 games. Esa took home 5 Challenge Cup titles and was a 3 time all-star. Usually longevity does not equal greatness to me, but Esa's consistent production for nearly 3 decades makes him the right choice here.

Honourable mention: Michael McFadden and Theo Kane

#3 - Joe McKeil (Season 8) - Hamilton Steelhawks

Another hotly contested pick with many all time greats to choose from. McKeil makes it for his consistency and dedication. McKeil leads this position in assits (582) and points (927) over his 26 years in the league. McKeil won 1 Challenge Cup and also took home 2 MVPs, 2 Dar trophies, 2 Khans and lead the league in goals and points 1 time each. McKeil was one of the true early greats whose long career proved to guys like Anrikkanen that it was a possibility.

Honourable mention: David Winter and Hunter Wong

#2 - Alonzo Garbanzo (Season 21) - Minnesota Chiefs

While picks #3 and #4 were tough to choose from, this pick is not as Garbanzo is the greatest player to ever lace up the skates in the SHL. Garbanzo was such a force on the backend showing an immense two way game and it paid off over his 24 year career. Garbanzo leads all defensemen in points with 973 and his 765 assists almost as high as Ivo Willems career points total at this position. Garbanzo played his entire career with the Chiefs helping lead them to a Challenge Cup. Garbanzo is a 1 time MVP, 5 time Stevens award winner for top DMan, and made it on the All SHL team 12 times. A fantastic career for the GOAT.

Honourable Mention: Ola Wagstrom and Bobby Watson

#1 - Ryan Jesster (Season 1) - Calgary Dragons

Robert Phelps has a strong case after amassing 949 points in 950 games, but the 1st ever pick in the league is still the best #1 pick ever. It is hard for the #1 pick to live up to expectations in the SHL and a lot of the times that player has fallen a bit below what we thought they could do, but Ryan Jesster stands above them all. Jesster won 257 games over his 12 seasons and really rounded into form as his career went on. Jesster ranks 3rd all time on the League of Accomplished Players list having taken home 2 Challenge Cups, 1 Playoff MVP, 1 McBride and 1 Honcho. While he never won an MVP as recognized by the media, he ended up taking home 3 Khan Trophies as MVP as voted by the players. Jesster had the tough task of proving himself as the 1st ever pick in this league and as this list shows, he still stands tall.

Honourable Mention: Robert Phelps and Flacko Langerfield.

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Good work!

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

@BasedMinkus this series of articles was so much fun to read great job Cheers I may be a bit biased but not even an honourable mention for Scherbluk drafted 5th overall in S8 who at the time of retirement had the most points amongst defensemen all time and also top ten in shots blocked and four Stevens trophies in a +20 season

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

Woo pick 51 love!

09-21-2020, 02:13 PMleafsftw1967 Wrote: @BasedMinkus this series of articles was so much fun to read great job  Cheers I may be a bit biased but not even an honourable mention for Scherbluk drafted 5th overall in S8 who at the time of retirement had the most points amongst defensemen all time and also top ten in shots blocked and four Stevens trophies in a +20 season

I actually meant to put you as honourable mention. I have edited the article to include this.

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

09-21-2020, 02:24 PMBasedMinkus Wrote:
09-21-2020, 02:13 PMleafsftw1967 Wrote: @BasedMinkus this series of articles was so much fun to read great job  Cheers I may be a bit biased but not even an honourable mention for Scherbluk drafted 5th overall in S8 who at the time of retirement had the most points amongst defensemen all time and also top ten in shots blocked and four Stevens trophies in a +20 season

I actually meant to put you as honourable mention. I have edited the article to include this.

I won a Bojo as a 51st pick...if you feel like doing another edit Tongue

That's right. Best #39 babyyyy.

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Bruh I totally spaced on wagstrom being second, always felt like he was a 1oa

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]