Create Account

S56 Championship Week

Code:
1. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Reflection on your season - how did your player fare on the ice this season? Did you meet or surpass your individual player goals or did you come up short? Whether you excelled or disappointed - what can you attribute that to? What will you try to do better next season?

I am conflicted when thinking about how Oliver Cleary fared this season. After signing with Manhattan spending my whole career in LA, I had high expectations for this season. I figured that I would be one of the highest scoring defensemen in the league and to an extent I was. I think overall I was top 15 in defensive scoring and that is great after a couple down seasons to end in LA. I also set a career high in points. I don't think that I played to my full potential though. I had hoped for over 40 points and I had hoped to be in the Stevens conversation but I absolutely did not complete either of these goals. That makes my goals for next season very easy. This will be my final season before regression and I really do hope that I can end it big. 40 points is the absolute minimum and I think with the talent around me in Manhattan, I can complete this goal. If I get 40 points, I absolutely see no reason why I wouldn't have an outside chance at a Stevens nom.

Code:
189 words

Code:
2. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Of the 10 most recent finals series, which do you think is the most memorable and why? Which will be remembered in history as the best/most important/most memorable series or victory? S46: BUF over NOLA, S47: WKP over CGY, S48: BUF over WPG, S49: EDM over NEW, S50: CGY over TBB, S51: HAM over EDM, S52: MAN over SFP, S53: HAM over EDM, S54: NOLA over HAM, S55: BUF over NOLA.

To me, the most memorable final in recent memory is the S54 finals between the New Orleans Spectors and the Hamilton Steelhawks. It might be a bit weird to choose a finals that only ended up going 4 games but the play on the ice wasn't what will make this finals memorable. Rather, it is what was happening off the ice that pushed this series over the top. During the S50s, Hamilton wasn't exactly the most popular teams as many players thought they were using exploits in order to have success. Even though the league was pushing to changing sim engines anyways, Hamilton is seen as the reason this happened. When NOLA made the finals, they decided to do something that was hugely celebrated: they flipped the script on the Steelhawks. They used some of the same exploits Hamilton was using and ended up beating them at their own game. It was a celebration for some who were frustrated and is the major reason why I think this series will be remembered.

Code:
172 words

Code:
3. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
FHM's 12-team playoff bracket setup has received a fair bit of scrutiny. It re-seeds after the play-in round and for some reason puts the #1 seed and #2 seed on the same side of the bracket. I challenge you to come up with a different playoff format - can you come up with a format that's dumber/worse than this? be creative! Come up with the worst possible format for a 12-team playoff.

You want the worst playoff series? How about a format where every single team makes the playoffs? After a 66 game regular season, one of the higher up in the leagues will use the ultimate decider, a random number generator, and will decide the playoffs with a coin flip. Each team has the same odds and regular season does not matter. Wherever the RNG stops, that is your ranking. The worst team in the league could end up being the first seed and have home ice advantage. To re-balance things and make even series, the top seeds will always have a bye if there are too many teams. An absolute mess of a playoffs.

Code:
114 words

Code:
4. Written/Graphic, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
If the SHL needed to set up a playoff bubble (like the NHL did in Edmonton/Toronto or the NBA in Orlando), which city would be the best candidate to host as the hub city? What would the players do during their time in a playoff bubble? (For graphic option, make an advertisement [like a pamphlet/brochure] in support of a specific city as the hub city and highlighting the reasons why.)

If the SHL is moving towards a bubble format for the upcoming playoffs, why would they adjust from the status quo? The NHL chose Toronto and Edmonton for their playoffs bubbles because Canada had better COVID-19 rates as well as they would be able to section off parts of each city in close proximity to their arenas. Both cities were a sparkling success. If the SHL is going to have a bubble format for their playoffs, why wouldn't they decide to just copy what the NHL did and use both Toronto and Edmonton for their bubbles? The SHL could do exactly what the NHL did. Section off 2 or 3 floors for each team and team's staff as well as give them everything they need in order to keep themselves entertained and survive. The easiest thing to do would be to move the 6 West teams to Edmonton and 6 East teams to Toronto. They would need to re-adjust the playoff format so there is no conference crossover as there currently is but under extreme circumstances, this could be accommodated. The point is: if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Code:
190 words

Code:
6. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
Which SHL or SMJHL team was the best team to not make the finals this season and why?

I think the best team this season to not make the finals are the Chicago Syndicate. Chicago last off-season seemed to be a team in flux. The defence wasn't anything of note and looked like they could lag behind Buffalo, Hamilton and Manhattan because of it. Give their GMs credit though because they rebuilt it with the additions of Disisde Dayudie and Charlie Schieck. Add in their stacked offence and the team exploded this season, finishing second in a stacked East. They were so good and took the cup champs to game 7 before bowing out. With another season of growth, they won't be denied next season.

Code:
107 words

Code:
16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is now completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification: Buster

16/16

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

PLACEHOLDER

ISFL PT +3

[Image: boriscontestsubmission.jpg][Image: bashbros.jpg]

Fight Record: 39 Fights, 28 Wins, 2 Losses, 9 Ties/Breakups

Hits Tracker

SMJHL S55: 326 Hits (Record)
SMJHL S56: 164 Hits
SMJHL S57: 30 Hits

Total Hits: 520

ISFL Welfare +3TPE

7. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
What's your prediction for this season's IIHF tournament? Which teams do you expect to do well (or not well)? Which players?

My prediction for this season's IIHF tournament is that a certain team is going to beat another team by scoring more points than the other. Thats how hockey works, right? Realistically I just completed the "Predictions" PT for that tournament before coming over here to do this and I'm not gonna lie when I say I just went top left to bottom right in selecting who would come in where. I'm on Czechia - or I guess technically could be but my player probably sucks too much to be rostered - so I hope they win. Canada coming in second would be cool because Kyamprac is on their team and she's cool. Austria placing would be nice too. I have a friend who's Austrian - thats literally the only reason. I think he just created over here too and might be like helping with their team or something. So there you have it. My foolproof predictions.

Reflection on your season - how did your player fare on the ice this season? Did you meet or surpass your individual player goals or did you come up short? Whether you excelled or disappointed - what can you attribute that to? What will you try to do better next season?

So I'm not gonna lie I haven't check how my player has done at all this season. I've updated pretty consistently - I think I only missed one week - but I don't know anything about hockey so its really hard for me to follow what my guy is doing. After taking a quick glance at the index I'm proud of him for playing in 50 games - thats cool, he's not a total benchwarmer. He scored 11 goals which I feel kinda sucks. He should definitely score more. Hit the puck thing into the net more often if ya know what I mean. I have a negative +/- of -1, which if thats anything like Basketball means I'm a net negative for my team when I'm on the ice. Thats stellar. Great going ya idiot. The stat I'm most proud about, however, is my 42 hits. All I care about is that my dude is smacking some other guys into the walls. Bringing the pain. Thats almost 1 hit a game so it looks like he's doing that, although I don't know if 1 hit a game is above average or subpar.

If the SHL needed to set up a playoff bubble (like the NHL did in Edmonton/Toronto or the NBA in Orlando), which city would be the best candidate to host as the hub city? What would the players do during their time in a playoff bubble? (For graphic option, make an advertisement [like a pamphlet/brochure] in support of a specific city as the hub city and highlighting the reasons why.)

So here's an issue - I can tell you that if the NFL had wanted to do a bubble that they should've done it in Texas because its a big state with a lot of football stadiums all around each other. It would've been perfect. For an SHL bubble, however, I have no idea what the hockey capital of the world would be - and I guess like because we're international we could have a lot of options. I'm gonna say we should've done a bubble in Antartica. I had a hard time choosing between it and the North Pole, but I decided I'd rather meet penguins than Santa. He hasn't brought me any good gifts recently so the fat man can go shove it. There's lots of ice down there and if there's one thing - and probably only one thing - that I know about hockey its that you need a lot of ice to skate on and stuff so it seems perfect.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2020, 03:00 PM by Evok.)

I really don’t think Elizabeth Doyle played great this season. I guess all the hater on the fact she was ‘on a good team and that’s why she performed’ can finally shut up, since she was still on a good team and yet didn’t. She played 44 games, the same amount as basically all the starters, but only won 28 games. It’s the first time since she’s in the big league where she won less than 30. She had 16 loses and nothing was decided in overtime for her. She made 1106 saves in the season and had 98 goals against. She finished the season with a 2.28 Goal against and a save percentage of 0.919. It sounds good, but when you consider she had 9 shutouts, you wonder how awful were her other games to finish with percentages so low. She overall finished the season with a 73 game-rating. I really hope I can bounce back next season, but I think we are entering a transition period, so most likely it won’t happen. 174

12. Podcast 4 TPE
1 person Mini-Pod: 4 TPE for 7 Minutes

13. Written, up to 4 TPE - Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. I think Hamilton has the better skaters on paper. Unfortunately, in the offseason, Buffalo was hit hard on departure of good players and while they still have a good roster, it’s just not what it was before. It’s basically going to come down to a battle of the depth and I think Hamilton have the upper hand on Buffalo for that. 61
c. I think the greatest lake is clearly the Superior Lake. I mean, it’s literally said in the name, he’s the superior one. He’s also the largest and deepest. I think the other lakes really don’t have anything on him. He’d break them all if he could. It’s not even a contest, screw the others. 54
d. I would be down to hang with anyone in buffalo. Ok mostly because it’s also my team, but let’s be real, I also feel hella comfortable with them so it’s something important. I just don’t know enough of the Hamilton Steelhawks player to hang out with them. I would say out of everyone tho, Kalakar would be the most likely since he’s near. 63

16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE
Donzoooo

17. Welfare Claim, 3 TPE
PBE CW

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2020, 03:46 PM by HanTheMan_.)

Code:
1. Written, 3 TPE (158 words )

Devin Basher really excelled this season! This season he got a total of 36 points, across 15 goals and 21 assists! He’s picked up the pace on getting some goals! We love to see it. This is the second season the Vancouver Whalers have made it into the playoffs and as of right now are in the semi-finals. As of right now he is sitting at 1 goal and 5 assists. A great trio has formed this season with teammates and fellow future steelhawks Rotticus Scott and Jason Desrouleaux. That is right, future Hamilton Steelhawk. This season Devin Basher was traded from the newly rebranded Minnesota Monarchs to the Hamilton Steelhawks. Basher is expected to stay in juniors for at least another season to keep building up his strength and learn his opponents before joining the Hamilton Steelhawks roster. He is excited to grow more and keep up the growth he had from last season to this one. 

Code:
4. Written/Graphic, 3 TPE (162 words)

If the Simulation Hockey League needed to set up a playoff bubble, I think Seattle would be a good hosting space. In honour of the expansion, Seattle would get plenty of coverage as well as some time to welcome hockey lovers to their city. As rainy as Seattle can be, it is a solid mid climate so no one should be extremely cold but also gives players on their off days to enjoy the city. Even with restrictions, there are still plenty of things to do in the city. Seattle is a beautiful city, and getting outside to explore would be nice. Downtown Seattle has plenty of art installations to visit and find all over the city. It is like a scavenger hunt! Great to do on days off. There’s also Pike Place Market to have a look at. Very fun. There’s plenty of food to try, beer to drink, you could do a brewery crawl as a celebration for a cup win. 

Code:
8. Written/Graphic, 3 TPE (151 words)
The arenas in Buffalo and Hamilton want to make sure they're pulling out all the stops on the big stage. Help the concessions department of one of these two teams develop a new product, with marketing specifically pertaining to this finals series, to be sold at the arena during the finals. Describe the product and the marketing in 150 words or create a promotional poster showing the product, its name, the price, etc.

The Hamilton Steelhawks concessions department has partnered with a local brewery in Hamilton called Grain & Grit which specializes in small batch beer. Grain & Grit made a special Steelhawk edition of one of their brews, along with a unique can for fans to collect if they want. Their cans already feature minimalist designs to pair with the name of their draft. This one would use the Steelhawks blue, black and white, with a hawk illustration with its wings wide open. This would be their Lifeline “Steelhawks” Sour with blueberry and basil, one of their new releases. Along with the beer provided by Grain & Grit, they would also provide snacks they feature at their beer gardens like Jensen's Cheese Curds and Covered Bridge Chips. The Steelhawks want to bring some recognition to Hamilton itself and highlight the beautiful, local shops, restaurants, services, and hard working individuals in the city for all to enjoy. 

Code:
13. Written, up to 4 TPE - Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

Code:
a. Both of these teams have an impressive set of skaters - without factoring in any coaching or tactical strategies, which team do you think has the better roster of skaters on paper?

The Hamilton Steelhawks have a pretty stacked set of skaters. They picked up Michael Scarn this season, a former Buffalo Stampede player as well as Ray Bork, a 1500+ TPE player. They also have their team captain Robert Phelps, in his last season, who has racked up twenty five awards over his entire career. 

Code:
b. Do you foresee the teams making any strategic adjustments during the course of the series? Should the teams be quick to switch tactics or stick with what they've been using?

I do not know much about either of the team's strategies and what they have been using to be as successful as they are this season. I assume their tactics must be good if they are in the finals! Sticking to what they are doing should ensure they are both at their best against either team.

Code:
c. These two teams hail from the Great Lakes Division. Which of the Great Lakes (Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior) do you think is the Greatest and why?

By definition all of these lakes are great. That’s why they are called the Great Lakes. However, being from Ontario I will be biased and say that Lake Ontario is the Greatest of the Great Lakes. It is also where the Niagara River flows into after the falls. There’s plenty to do in the surrounding towns as well.

Code:
d. If, once it is safe to do so, you had to go hang out in person with one of the users on Buffalo/Hamilton, who would you hang out with and what would you do? (if you pick gabe you get -1 tpe)

It’s so hard to just pick one user! I know Nour outside of the site, he’s the reason I started up on here. I would love to hang out with that lad again. I miss him very dearly. Oh what I would give for one more Tim’s and book store snack run.

Code:
16. Trivia - 3 TPE

big dipper
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2020, 06:51 PM by treant.)

1. Written, 3 TPE

I think that this season was a good one for Alexis Vermette!

He had a lot of fun getting to play with his team in Nevada, and he wasn’t the best player on the team but he was just happy that he was able to get involved and help them out.

The team had a good season and were able to win a lot more games than people thought they would so that was definitely a fun experience!

Alexis didn’t score a lot of points but that was okay. He still only has 350 TPE added and there are a lot of players on the team who are better than be his at this point so it was fine with him to do what he could to help them.

The Battleborn were upset to not win the cup but I’m sure that we can go all the way next season when we’ve had another season to get even better! I hope too that Alexis can do whatever he can to make the team play good!

Total word count: 175 words!

FHM's 12-team playoff bracket setup has received a fair bit of scrutiny. It re-seeds after the play-in round and for some reason puts the #1 seed and #2 seed on the same side of the bracket. I challenge you to come up with a different playoff format - can you come up with a format that's dumber/worse than this? be creative! Come up with the worst possible format for a 12-team playoff.

I think that the only playoff format that I can think of is if the teams in the playoffs were ranked in alphabetical order!

This way of setting up the playoffs could mean that every team who qualifies was ranked by alphabetical order and the last team and the first team would play each other. This would then be used for the second worst and second best and so on until every team is matched up!

Then for the second round the teams that are left would be ranked once again on alphabetical order!

We could keep doing things this way until all of the teams until all teams had played and then there were no more teams remaining. This would be a fun way of doing it and isn’t any worse than what we have already!

Total word count: 137 words!

If the SHL needed to set up a playoff bubble (like the NHL did in Edmonton/Toronto or the NBA in Orlando), which city would be the best candidate to host as the hub city? What would the players do during their time in a playoff bubble?

I think that for the SHL would not make sense to have a playoff bubble established in a Canadian city unfortunately!

Because there are only three teams in the SHL that are established in Canada and 15 teams that are established in the USA I think that the USA would be the best country for the SHL to establish a bubble in.

I think that a city like Chicago would be one of the best options for the SHL to use as their hub city. This is for a number of reasons. Chicago is a large city which would have the resources that the SHL would need for it to host all of its teams.

It is also located in the centre of the country so teams would not need to travel too far to get there. It also has a lot of hockey fans there so would make sense as the city to choose. If the SHL chooses to use Chicago I think that it would be a great decision!

Total word count: 175 words!

Which SHL or SMJHL team was the best team to not make the finals this season and why?

I am going to be biased and say that the best team not to make the finals in the SMJHL was the team that I play for, the Nevada Battleborn.

I thought that the Battleborn were a very good team this season. We won a lot of games and we managed to surprise a lot of people too. I thought that we might be able to go all the way and get the team a spot in the finals!

We won 28 games this season but I think that we were better than that number of wins. We will be back next season and I think that then it really will be our time to win and make it to the finals!

Total word count: 122 words!

16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max
Alexis

17. Welfare Claim, 3 TPE
ISFL Point Task!

[Image: W8ZyU0w.png]
[Image: EilhEKw.gif]

Wolfpack Canada Battleborn
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 06:59 PM by TheWoZy.)

ISFL - 3 tpe

Code:

I’m disappointed with my performance this season. I scored twice less points than last year and twice less goals too. I’m trying to be a better player offensively but I’m playing worse. I really want to improve and help my team to win the games. I haven’t made it to the playoffs since I left Buffalo. I wanted to have a bigger role and prove to everyone that I’m capable of being a leader but I have failed. I have a lot of work to do this offseason. I want to be a better player on offense next year. I’ll practice on my shooting accuracy. I have made bad shots last year and if I can score goals we can win more games. I also work on my passing. I turned the puck over like more than 30 times. We struggled on having possession because of my mistake. If I avoid making those mistakes we will play better.

Code:
What's your prediction for this season's IIHF tournament? Which teams do you expect to do well (or not well)? Which players?

I think Japan will be the winner of this IIHF tournament. Every season they kept improving their results and last year they lost in the gold medal game. I believe they are now at their peak. Martijn Westbroek and Monkey D. Luffy were top three in scoring this season and they are going to dominate the tournament if they play together. Canada is a top three nation for this tournament. They have probably the best team all round. Theo Morgan and Dick Clapper just won the Challenge Cup together and they hope to win the gold medal too. Last year's winner Great Britain is still a contender. Their defense was amazing and they shutdown Japan and Canada, two of the best offensive teams in the tournament. Luca Del Vecchio has to be on top form if he wants to win it again. I think Michael Scarn will be the top scorer in this tournament.

Code:
a. Both of these teams have an impressive set of skaters - without factoring in any coaching or tactical strategies, which team do you think has the better roster of skaters on paper?

On paper, the Hamilton Steelhawks have the best roster. I think their offense has better depth than Buffalo. They were able to steal Michael Scarn from Buffalo and add Theo Morgan. Buffalo might have a better defense but I don’t think it’s a huge difference. Both goalies are on the same level.

b. Do you foresee the teams making any strategic adjustments during the course of the series? Should the teams be quick to switch tactics or stick with what they've been using?

I think Hamilton should be more careful because they went to game seven against Edmonton after leading the series to three to nothing. They should have made an adjustment sooner but they were still able to win the series. But against the Stampede, you have to make quick adjustments if you are losing. Look at Chicago for example.

c. These two teams hail from the Great Lakes Division. Which of the Great Lakes (Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior) do you think is the Greatest and why?

Lake Superior is the greatest. There’s a reason why it’s called Superior. It’s superior to the other lakes. It’s bigger and longer than the other lakes and it has a better look too. To me, it looks like a wolf. There’s an eye which is a small island and a mouth. You can also see the nose and the ear.

d. If, once it is safe to do so, you had to go hang out in person with one of the users on Buffalo/Hamilton, who would you hang out with and what would you do? (if you pick gabe you get -1 tpe)

I would like to hang out with Grum and Luffy. We played a lot together during the summer and I had fun with them. They both host a pokemon league and I’m a fan of pokemon too. I want to go out and eat ramen with them one day and maybe play pokemon go.

Code:
16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is now completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

bob

[Image: capybar22_600.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2020, 01:09 PM by JURT.)

Code:

It wasn't an easy season for the Colorado Raptors as a whole. On a collective level, there weren't a lot of goals we could reach. My individual performance, however, wasn't really impacted by our general struggle. I ended the season with my highest career totals for my last season in the SMJHL : 6 goals (previous highest : 4), 19 assists (previous highest : 15) and 26 points (previous highest : 19). Meanwhile, I kept being the defensive force I've been every year. I'm hoping this time, as it's my last chance, I can win the Holmes award for Best Defensive Forward in the SMJHL. That's the one individual goal I had in mind when I started my junior career that I haven't reached yet. I've reached most milestones I had in mind in this regard (both in regular and advanced stats), but as of now it is not known whether I'll reach this individual goal or not.

Code:
There isn't many ways to make a bracket any stupider than the one we've got : having the exact same number of teams in the first two rounds is the biggest joke you can get for the shape of the bracket. What would make it even worse is not changing the bracket type, but the way the bracket is filled. My dumb proposition is this : fill it at random. No more guaranteed byes for the top teams, no more re-seeding, just every team team put in the bracket randomly. Anyone could get a bye straight to the 2nd round, the two best teams in the league might face in the first, and so on.

Code:
5. Written, 2 TPE
Write an SHL themed Haiku Sonnet (see link below) which I just learned is a real thing. The format is: Haiku Haiku Haiku Haiku Couplet

It is now over
My time in Colorado
I must turn the page

Mack and Sven and Gud
Simothy and Lord Raiden
Juni and Carlos

Never to the end
Of Cups forever deprived
But hands full of friends

Award nominate
Never the winner, a shame
One last chance to shine

Chicago, here I come now
Syndicate, now here I go

Code:
8. Written/Graphic, 3 TPE (150 words min. if written)
The arenas in Buffalo and Hamilton want to make sure they're pulling out all the stops on the big stage. Help the concessions department of one of these two teams develop a new product, with marketing specifically pertaining to this finals series, to be sold at the arena during the finals. Describe the product and the marketing in 150 words or create a promotional poster showing the product, its name, the price, etc.
[Image: BUFFALO-HATS.jpg]

Code:
a. Hamilton, in my opinion, has the better roster. They have four players over 2000 TPE to Buffalo's one (although Buffalo has a lot of players close to that glorious mark) and have one fewer player under 1200 TPE. The Stampede, however, has a better goalie, so they are definitely a match for the Steelhawks
b. I think every losing team has to try to change tactics at a certain point in a series. It can be some little adjustments if the series is close, or more of a Hail Mary if the team is about to get swept. Too much change isn't good, but sometimes it's better than sticking to a losing strategy.
c. Lake Superior is obviously the greatest of the Great Lakes. It says so right in its name : it is the superior one. The others are named for random things that are nearby : Ontario is a province, Michigan is a state, the hurons are an amerindian people and I'm not even sure what Erie means but it certainly isn't something as prestigious as the Superior title.
d. I would hang out with Evok, as we both live in the same province and speak the same language. We'd talk about Bob Bissonnette (may he rest in peace) while listening to all of his great songs. La Machine à Scorer, QCC's goal song, is only one of many musical masterpieces focused around hockey and beer (two things I am very fond of).

Code:

potato

[Image: lespoils.gif]

PBE +3

Code:

Though it was a long, tough rebuilding season for the San Francisco Pride, there was a lot for me to be happy about with regard to my performance on the ice. I've now shown that I can keep up with the best defenders in the league and hold my own. I actually led the SHL in shots blocked and was #11 in takeaways. In terms of FHM's defensive grade thingamajig I was in the top five, for whatever that's worth. I do expect that some of these stats come as a result of a lack of other defensive talent on the team during the rebuild, making me the focal point. However, I'm still very proud of my work on the defensive end. I was a bit disappointed with my performance on offense, particularly as a passer. I envision myself being a two way threat in the SHL like I was in the SMJHL and it seems I had a bit of trouble getting it done this season. That being said, there wasn't a lot of offense coming from any part of the San Francisco Pride, so perhaps that had something to do with it. We can only go up from here, and I'm hopeful to be one of the leaders of this squad as we continue to grow. (218 words.)

Code:

You want me to come up with the worst possible playoff format? That's subjective, but I'll try to do my best. First, let's put seven teams in the playoffs because that's a gross prime number, even if some people consider it lucky. That's an elite group so we have to eliminate some people. The teams with the best records in each division don't make the playoffs at all. Why? Because they're too good. You can't have the best teams in the playoffs. We'll let the 2nd best teams in each division in there because 2nd is the best, and then the 4th and 6th best teams. So now we have six and we need seven. The 7th team to make the playoffs is the one with the worst record. Then we'll just seed at random because of course. We'll have two pairs of teams play each other and then the last three will play each other five times and whoever has the best record in that mini tournament advances. Of the three remaining teams, we will choose one at random to automatically advance to the finals. The remaining two will play one game against each other to determine which one gets to go to the finals. Then the finals will be a best of six and if there's a tie there just won't be a winner. I'd like to see someone implement that. (233 words.)

Code:

Normally when I'm picking a city to host something, I want it to be the place I think would be the most fun. However, if we're trying to figure out where to put a bubble, the stuff that's available to do doesn't really matter because the players can't go far. With that in mind, we need a place that has nice weather because people are going to want to be able to golf, play tennis, hang out at the pool, and other things you do when you're stuck at some luxury hotel. With that in mind, I'm going to have to give the nod to Tampa Bay. If we're lucky, we could even have this bubble on the beach so we could play beach volleyball or something like that. Beyond that, I think people are going to spend a lot of time playing video games, so hopefully there's a lot of places to do that, and the food better be good if everyone's going to be stuck in the same place for awhile. (173 words.)

Code:

Let's talk SMJHL here so I can show my huge bias toward the Anaheim Outlaws. The playoffs this year for them were simply a travesty. They came in looking like one of the best offensive teams out there only to get bounced very quickly. I had such high hopes and they were crushed quickly. I can only blame what happened on the sudden retirement of James Boxman. What happened to that guy? Did he join a cult or something? You have to see it through with your team, man. Anyway, losing a key piece like that all of a sudden is a lot to recover from. Can you imagine if we had injuries in this game? Stuff like that would happen all the time. A total nightmare. (127 words.)

Code:

nevada

[Image: traphag2.gif]
(sigs courtesy of Carpy48, BDonini, Turd Ferguson, FlappyGiraffe, and Sulovilen)
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 09:13 PM by mee.)

Code:
Johnny Shuffleboard did not exactly live up to expectations. An absolutely red-hot start to the season may have perhaps raised those expectations a bit too high though. In his first 4 games Shuffleboard notched eight points. While expecting Shuffleboard to go at that pace was perhaps not a good idea, an all star bid seemed likely. Shuffleboard failed at that. It was perhaps the worst second half the league had ever seen. Sato and Leavitt, both more defensive minded d-men passed Shuffleboard in points. At the end Shuffleboard and Sato ended up tied for the team lead from the back.
Shuffleboard followed that up with a slow start to the postseason as well. In a four game sweep and the first 3 games of the Carolina vs Vancouver series, Shuffleboard had a total of 2 assists. Not exactly lighting the world on fire. Then an adjustment was made and Shuffleboard has seemingly regained his early season form, with 6 assists in 5 games. Expectations not passed in the regular season, but the playoffs just might be a different answer.
{179 words}

Code:
2. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Of the 10 most recent finals series, which do you think is the most memorable and why? Which will be remembered in history as the best/most important/most memorable series or victory? S46: BUF over NOLA, S47: WKP over CGY, S48: BUF over WPG, S49: EDM over NEW, S50: CGY over TBB, S51: HAM over EDM, S52: MAN over SFP, S53: HAM over EDM, S54: NOLA over HAM, S55: BUF over NOLA.
IDK, I'm in the league for a few month. Gimme an SHL one.

Code:
I'd start out with the 1v2 automatically playing in the first round. That would be a play-in round with the right to play the three seed in the quarterfinals. Home ice advantage would of course be given to the three seed.
The four seed would play the six seed in a play-in game to play the seven seed. The winner of that round would play the eleven seed in the quarterfinals.
The five seed would play the eight seed. The winner of that series would play the nine seed for the right to play the 10 seed. That would be the quarterfinals.
The Twelve seed would receive a bye into the semifinals.
{204 words}

All in all we'd be left with: 1/2 vs 3, 4/6/7 vs 11, 5/8/9 vs 10. After this we would be left with 1/2/3 who would play 4/6/7 in the semifinal. The 5/8/9/10 would play the 12 seed in the semifinal. Home Ice in the final is awarded to the team that played more games against the 1 seed. If the 1 seed is in the final, they must play on the round as they didn't play the one seed.

Code:
5. Written, 2 TPE
Write an SHL themed Haiku Sonnet (see link below) which I just learned is a real thing. The format is: Haiku Haiku Haiku Haiku Couplet
Haiku Sonnet
SHL is a hockey league
And they want me to make Haiku
About them, so I will

SHL we play hockey, fake
Random numbers, seemingly governing the thing
Blunt Man, Blunt Man, Man

Blunt Man, a great goalie
Keeped the Whalers at bay for bit
But Whalers prevailed in seven

Gabe, the worst he sucks
Gabe he's Gabe and sucks he does
Gabe sucks, say it again

Ok, you people who grade the PT
Please let me stand guard on the next, for thee!

Code:
Why is this even a question? Of course the answer is the Carolina Kraken. I'm not even sure why there would be another choice on the SMJHL question part. Carolina won the East, was the two seed. And, as has been complained about quite a bit, they, for no apparent reason, had to play the unbeatable Whalers. And then they actually almost got the Whalers, taking a 2-1 series lead, and when they blew that, they managed to take game 6 and force a game seven. Sadly for them they fell in that game seven. So while Newfoundland is a good team they should not be in the championship in the Kraken's place.
{113 wprds}

Code:

Code:

Code:
9. Graphic, 3 TPE
Design a Challenge Cup championship hat for one of the teams in the finals. (A four-star cup championship hat for the SMJHL is ok as well.)
[Image: cap2.png?width=528&height=565]

Code:
10. Graphic, 3 TPE
Create a magazine cover that highlights either a player in the finals or a standout player from the regular season.

Code:
11. Graphic, 3 TPE
Design a Challenge Cup/Four Star Cup Championship banner for one of the teams in the finals, like those which appear on the side of the site.

Code:
12. Podcast, 3 or 4 TPE
Record a mini-podcast on any of the below topics!
- Highlights of the S56 season (on or off the ice)
- S56 playoff round-up
- S56 Challenge Cup/Four Star Cup finals Breakdown
- S57 predictions

1 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 5 minutes or 4 TPE for 7 Minutes
2 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 6 Minutes or 4 TPE for 8 Minutes
Post the direct link to your podcast.

Code:
d) Too bad, I would have to hang out with Gabe. Gabe sucks. I would love to learn more about why Gabe sucks. This way in my life I can know exactly what not to do. Gabe is bad at everything so it probably wouldn't be too much fun, but again this is meant to be a learning experience of what not to do, and Gabe it the best at that. {70 word}

Code:
14. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min)
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.

Code:
15. Graphic, 3 TPE - The Procrastinator Special!
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and you also like doing graphics instead of writing. That's cool, too! Create a Series Recap broadcast graphic - the contents can be whatever you want, but your graphic must list both teams and at least 3 stats for each.

Code:
SUBMIT TRIVIA ANSWERS HERE
shuff

ISFL Welfare +3

TOTAL: 16

Class S55
Reincarnated- Class S71

[Image: x17WALp.png][Image: uNh8ZtE.png]

PH 

PBE affiliate CW

[Image: 15Ng51w.png][Image: draNOgf.png]

Code:
1.Reflection on your season - how did your player fare on the ice this season? Did you meet or surpass your individual player goals or did you come up short? Whether you excelled or disappointed - what can you attribute that to? What will you try to do better next season?

My second full season in the SMJHL with the Raptors went pretty well. I finally got a decent amount of ice time and I think I showed that I am constantly improving each and every season. I was top 5 in the entire league for defensive goal scoring (12 goals) while being the only one in the top 5 to not been given top 2 pairing ice time. There are a lot of things that do need improvement though. My PDO was 98 which is slightly below where you want to be, and my defensive numbers are still on the liability side. For this upcoming off-season there are a few things that I need to improve on. I would like to be a little bit more aggressive on the back end and I hope to improve my reaction time on that end. Finally I would like to see a larger number in the assist section....but not with the sacrifice of my goal scoring ability. (164) (3TPE)

Code:

I feel like this question is a bit strange. If a team goes in to the bubble the things they would do are limited to inside the bubble because that is the whole point of quarantine. Picking a city to go to requires a large area for the teams to be located in and good enough weather for outdoor activities. For these reasons I think Walt Disney world in florida is the best choice. The ice quality may not end up being good but the area is open enough and big enough to play golf, have movie nights and things of that nature. There are so many golf courses for the boys to play and not get bored. They may even get their own Disney adventures. The goal of having a bubble is the protect the players while also providing enough of a normal life for the players not to get so in their heads that it affects the product on the ice and I believe Orlando satisfies all of these requirements. (172) (3TPE)

Code:

For the Buffalo Stampede, they are going to need a great promotional idea to help with the terrible sting of their inevitable playoff defeat at the hands of the Steelhawks. We have had foam fingers and t-shirts but that stuff is so played out. So we decided that we should go with something crazy......Foam Buffalo Heads. They will encompass your whole head and add an intimidation factor for the Steelhawks on the ice. The goal is to make them as lifelike as possible so it will cost a decent amount of money but we are hoping it leaves a lasting impression and helps lead the Stampede to a much needed win or two. In order to really drive the point across, we will be adding a foam dead bird in the mouth for all heads. The Buffalo would naturally eat a lowly bird so it only makes sense that we make that a thing with these heads. (157) (3TPE)

Code:

a. Hamilton made a lot of moves this off-season to bolster there line up including Theo Morgan who scored an astounding 82 points and Michael Scarn whose 50+ points added to an already stacked roster.Hamilton also outscored Buffalo by 41 goals (228-187) which shows a distinct edge. Hamilton without a doubt gets the edge. (53) (1TPE)

b. If a team makes a strategy change during these finals, it would probably be the underdog Stampede. Hamilton scores a lot of goals (most in the league) while also conceding a very few amount as well (least in the league) so there really isn't much that Hamilton needs to work on and they have been pacing the rest of the league this whole season. Buffalo will probably have to change their tactics around and grind this series down and make it a slugfest. (83) (1TPE)

c. We are discussing greatest lake out of the great lakes. Let me break down why the ones aren't the greatest. Ontario can't be because.....look at the leafs.....so that lake is out. Michigan hasn't had a relevant sports team or event in over a decade so see ya. Erie is a non descript Pennsylvania area who went red in this election......see ya.Huron is a bird and thats gross. That leaves Lake Superior and with a name like Superior it takes the throne. (81) (1TPE)

d. If I am going to hang out with one member on either team it is easily going to be Byrdeman. I have know Byrdeman for ages and he is one of my oldest friends on this site and one of the types of people that brought me back into the league after a 3 year hiatus. Byrde is a great guy and real friend in this league and I would be grateful to get back to the OG days. (79) (1TPE)

Code:

Verification Word: Rage. (3 TPE)

3 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 3 = 16

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

PBE TASK CLAIM

[Image: yqkRWSj.png][Image: Tn9zpM0.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2020, 12:45 AM by Festinator.)

Jonas fared extremely well this season. He had a much bigger role on the Berserkers than he did last season. Last season he was on the 3rd pairing and was able to be a very positive player in those match ups and put up 15 points. This season Jonas started on the 2nd pairing, but eventually moved up onto the 1st pairing. This was a very proud moment for me as he is still at 350 tpe and was able to hold his own and do very well amongst the other 425 tpe defencemen on his team. He put up 10 goals and 17 assists, leading all Berserkers defencemen in goals assists and points. I built Jonas to be a high octane offensive defenceman so to this point I am happy with how he has performed. His advanced stats took a notable but expected dip, as he was playing against top competition whereas last season he was pretty sheltered on the 3rd pairing of a championship team. Next season I will definitely up his stamina as that was a hindrance to Jonas during the middle of the season where he went through an extended poor stretch due to fatigue. (199 words)

Hear me out. So 12 team bracket, but instead of bye's going to the top 4 team, the bye's go to the bottom 4 teams. We already know who the best teams are, lets just jump straight into the excitement right? so 1st vs 8, winner faces 12th. 2nd vs 7th, winner faces 11th. 3rd vs 6th, winner faces 10th and 4th vs 5th, winner faces 9th. Good action right off the bat, and hopefully leads to the 4 best teams moving on to the next round, and when they do, they get to show off how good they are by dominating the bottom 4 teams. then in the 3rd round, go back to the usual 1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd, and the winner of those two series play for the championship. AND THEN to extend the playoffs needlessly, have a series to see who finishes in 3rd place. (151 words)

I would definitely say that the Chicago Syndicate were the best team not to make the SHL finals this season. They were dominant throughout the season and playoffs, and through to the first 3 games of their semi-final series against the Buffalo Stampede. But then the wheels fell off. It was one of those rare 3-0 series chokes. It is very unfortunate because I honestly do think they were a better team than Buffalo, who in my opinion were more inconsistent with their performances during the season. Chicago was led up front by Westbroek, on the back end by Corey Kennedy and their rookie of the year candidate Ryuuji Minamino was a star for them as well. (117 words)

My prediction for the IIHF tournament is for Japan to make a big splash. They have a ton of all stars and I think this will allow them to grab the title at the end of the tournament. They have top end talent in Parker Smeb, Martijn Westbroek, Dan Smeb, Ryuuji Minamino and Monkey D. Luffy. This will be a lot of talent for other teams to handle and I expect them to score a lot of goals. I am not too sure about how they will do on the defensive side and goaltending, not as many big names there. I also think Great Britain stands to do well, as well as the usual powers in Canada, USA, Sweden and Finland. I think Luffy ends up leading the tournament in points. (131 words)

a. I believe that Hamilton has the better set of skaters. So much skill in talent in both teams, but Theo Morgan destroyed the league this season, and he'll be playing up front with Aaron Wilson, Michael Scarn, and Dick Clapper. On Defence they have top players in Gabe Johnson and Guy O'Shea, along with Michaud. Don't think Buffalo will be able to handle these guys over  a 7 game series. (70 words)
b. Due to how well Hamilton performed during the regular season and how dominant they were, I do not foresee them making too many strategic adjustments, they should stick with what got them this far and this much success. Buffalo on the other hand should probably look at what made Hamilton so successful and look to combat it as best they can. (61 words)
c. Lake huron reminds me of a bird. That doesn't sound so fantastic. Best case Ontario? Not this time Ricky. Lake Michigan, named after an American state? That's gonna be a no from me here in Canada. Lake Erie? Sounds too spooky to truly be great, how will you attract tourists? That leaves lake Superior. The answer was in it's name all along, and we all knew this. (67 Words)

Wheeler

3+2+2+3+3+3= 16 Total

[Image: kahnwald.png]
Sig by @Ragnar
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2020, 04:50 AM by Salming.)

Task #1: 3 TPE

Like the team, I started my second season pretty badly. I played three first games without points before I got one assist in the fourth game against MET. My first goal came in game 5 against St. Louis but we lost 1-4. On the first season I started in the 4th line but got promoted to the third line before regular season ended. On this season I played whole season in TOP6 role on the right wing. I started the season next to fellow Argonaut prospect Beranek and ended the regular season at the same line with Slovakian center Jst Maro. I played with him already on S55 a lot and again somehow I began to collect points alongside him and Rieley who played on the left wing. I had many multi-point games during the last two weeks and thanks to them I was able to set new career records in points and goals. My goal was to score at least 25 points and get PPG of 0.50. In the end, I had 27 points so that goal was achieved. In the last eight games I scored 5+6=11 points.

I also got some power-play minutes in the second unit in every match and scored 3+2 points on PP in 50 games. Because I am two-way forward, I was happy to get also some short-handed minutes and responsibility because I hadn't any special teams minutes on the first season. I didn't play most SH minutes in the team but helped a little bit to kill penalties still averaging 1:05 of SH time per game like you said. Before the season I also focused a lot to improve my physicality and it showed in the hits category. I am not happy that I got 12 penalties when I had only three on the season before. That is something what I need to improve next season. How to be physical without taking penalties? However, thanks to better physicality and improved checking game I had 26 takeaways when I had only 12 last season. Of course I played also more minutes but at the same time I had only three more giveaways than season before. Takeaway-giveaway differential improved from +0 to +11 which was a great thing. 26 takeaways was also team-high among forwards. Defender Bergman had 30 takeaways and won that category but because I mirror my game to Reilly Smith, I am very happy that I took some steps towards his two-way game during regular season. When it comes to blocked shots, I had five less than season before but at this season we played more with the puck and weren't so defensive in every game so the reason for less blocked shots is mainly changed game style as a team. I am still willing to sacrifice my body if we win games then.

I am also happy that I shot more than season before. Of course, I played again almost five minutes more per night than last season but still 72 shots on goal is solid amount of shots in my role. I am hoping to raise that to two shots per game as an average in the future. Again, in the last eight games I shot 22 times towards the goal which was almost three shots per game so I am heading in the right direction.

Words: 557

Task #3: 2 TPE

Well, of course I can come up with a worse playoff format. In my "dream" playoff bracket 12 teams will be divided into three groups of four teams. Seeds 1-4 will play in the same group like seeds 5-8 and 9 to 12. Every team gets equal kind of opponents and everyone are happy, right? That is something where world is heading. Competition is now allowed. The most important value is that everyone haves fun and when games are tight, everyone enjoys them most. After group stage, winners go through to the final group. Three teams left will play once at home and away against others so there will be four matches per team in the final group and team with most points will win the championship!

Words: 127

Task #4: 3 TPE

If the SHL needed to set up a playoff bubble, best city to host it would have been of course Calgary. Why? Even though there are no audience in the bubble, having a host team which have chances for success is important because then TV-ratings will stay as high as possible as long as possible. Also in the streets of host city you can then feel playoff hype. Dragons won the Western Conference and conceded only 85 goals in 50 games. Based on that stat you could have thought that Calgary will make it to the finals and the atmosphere in the bubble and streets of host city would have stayed pretty high all the way to the end of the playoffs. That would have been good PR for the SHL. In the bubble players would have had same kind of activities like in the NHL bubble. SHL organisation would have offered them movie theater, golf simulator and of course free and fast wifi to use in video games. 

Words: 169

Task #6: 2 TPE

I was shocked to see that Calgary Dragons lost to Edmonton in six games in the playoffs. Calgary won the Western Conference with 80 points. However, I was most impressed that they only conceded 85 goals in 50 games and were the best team in that category. I trusted that with that kind of defensive structure you simply can't miss the finals but against Edmonton Dragons conceded 24 goals in six games which is four goals per match as an average. Something really weird happened to them after the regular season where they were great team. So, Calgary is my pick for a best team to not make finals this season. 

Words: 111

Task #7: 3 TPE

My TOP3 prediction is Canada, USA and Finland. Canada is a country which loves ice-hockey and that's why it is easy to guess that it will be a strong team also on this year. They were on bronze last year and won the championship year before that on season 54. I am confident that they will continue their medal streak also on this year. United States won its round robin group last season before Japan but didn't won the medal in the end. Something happened to them in the playoffs after good group stage. I am sure that USA wants to have some kind of revenge after disappointing playoffs and this year they will go to the finals to win their first silver medal since S48. USA has three golds after that on seasons 50, 51 and 53 but I don't think that they are capable to that kind of achievement this season. The bronze medal goes to Finland. It has won two bronzes in a row in WJC and now it is adult's turn to bring home some glory. Finland's last bronze is from S44 so it is now time to win bronze again. That is also Finland's last medal from IIHF tournament which is shocking. When it comes to other teams or players, who cares? Only medals count and there three teams will win them in my opinion!

Words: 227

Task #16: 3 TPE
Verification word: Borje

Total 16 TPE

[Image: salming.png]