Create Account

Leo Bloomfield Interview (x2 WJC Media)

Times Sport 
                                                                                                     By James H. Walker

I waited for what seemed like forever as the British Isles team bus finally pulled up outside their hotel. It ground to a halt, jerking as it settled outside the entrance. I had identified my target. Wearing a neat black suit, Leo Bloomfield stepped out the bus. Unlike the others, he wasn't listening to music or wearing odd beanies. A single toothpick hung from his mouth as he chewed on it, lost in thought. His neat, combed hair fluttered lightly in the wind. He waved, as he noticed me huddled in my greatcoat. I waved back and walked to the elevator. We had arranged the interview a few days in advance to take place in his hotel room, before the first training session. 

*           *           *

I sat down on the lone bed in the hotel room, Bloomfield taking a seat on a chair. He looked at me thoughtfully, holding his toothpick like a cigar. He nodded at me to begin:

[Image: EHdvhPJnCQYM4WvgEhBwjQZaNgoszg1rb0Scv3RP...Bt8BpOrJ8Q]

Bloomfield at the start of the interview 

JHW: So Bloomey, thanks for having me with you today. What are your thoughts going into this year's tournament?

LB: Cheers James. Quite frankly, I think we're going to win. *He cocked his head a little, as if to provoke a reaction*The only reason we didn't win last year was because I only played twice. 

JHW: Ah yes, I remember. Why do you think that was? Why did you only play twice?

LB: I don't know James, I honestly don't. We were under a different management and it was a complete shambles to be honest . *He laughed a humourless laugh full of spite* Lions led by sheep, almost quite literally. There was no strategy. I'm hardly bloody Napoleon, but remember, I also manage a National Team. I can tell when nothing is being done behind the scenes. It's almost as if they didn't want to win. 

JHW: You won the Silver medal two seasons ago, losing to the American team. However, you still won the Best Goalie award and got nominated for MVP. Would you call it bittersweet or simply sweet? 

LB: Just sweet. I was quite happy with the Silver medal, as was everyone else. Obviously, I didn't want to lose against the Americans, but it is what it is. I would've much rather lost against Canada. *He laughs again* We played great Hockey, and we came away with some brilliant results. It was also great to pick up an award just for me. It gave me great confidence for the future.

[Image: new-york-rangers-goalie-alexandar-georgi...1199532021]

Bloomfield in action vs The USA in the Final

JHW: This will be your last tournament, as your SMJHL career is over. Running almost at the same time is the IIHF. What is the difference between these two tournament , and how big is the skill gap?

LB: The differences are quite big. Coalitions like the British Isles or DACH don't exist, replaced by individual countries. The skill gap isn't all that huge, but it's quite noticeable. One always needs to bring their A - Game  if they want to succeed . 

JHW: One final question. What does playing in the WJC or indeed any International Competition mean to you?

LB: Everything. I don't understand the modern craze of much rather playing club hockey than International. Representing one's country is the biggest honour one can be bestowed upon. Hear it from me folks. I'd much rather win an IIHF or WJC Gold Medal than a Challenge Cup...

[Image: bloomfield.png]
[Image: NEW_Team_final.png][img=0x280]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/789216032630898779/789216043259265024/unknown.png?width=1103&height=613[/img]