Create Account

Who Won the Season 56 SMJHL Moneypuck?

What is the Moneypuck you ask? Why it's a word that I just made up of course. The basic premises of the Moneypuck is that the winners of last year's season start the season with it, then if they lose a game, whichever team they lost to gets it. This continues until the last game of the season, and whichever team finishes with the Moneypuck wins. I saw something like this on Reddit (r/hockey) awhile ago but I forgot what they called it so this is the name I've decided to use. I'm also using the order of the games I see in the index. I know some of them aren't in exactly the right spot, but this is easier than going back through every stream.

So the Newfoundland Berserkers start with the Moneypuck. In their first game of the season, they lost in overtime to the Anchorage Armada, so Anchorage gets the Moneypuck.

Anchorage is able to hold onto the Moneypuck for one game against Maine in a close 4-3 shootout victory, but ultimately end up losing it to Vancouver the game after in a 7-1 loss.

As you probably know by now, Vancouver was a pretty good team this season, so you'd think they would hold on to the Moneypuck for awhile right? Well no, they ended up losing their next game 6-4 to the Carolina Kraken.

A game after getting the Moneypuck, Carolina loses it as well, as the game after defeating Vancouver they lost 4-1 to the Anaheim Outlaws. This means that the Moneypuck goes to Anaheim.

The game after Anaheim gets the Moneypuck, Maine gets their second chance to claim it. They do this time, winning the game 7-5.

The Maine Timber is also bad at defending the Moneypuck apparently, as they also give it up the next game, to the Colorado Raptors in a close 3-2 game.

At this point I'm running out of ways to say that a team only held onto the Moneypuck for one game because I expected there to be many more win streaks. That said, Colorado loses their first game against Nevada also 3-2, and give the Moneypuck up to them.

The Nevada Battleborn are here to save this media, as they're the first team to get a win streak over two with the Moneypuck. They go through the Detroit Falcons, Vancouver Whalers, and Colorado Raptors, but end up getting shut out by St. Louis in a 2-0 game.

The Scarecrows are able to hold onto the Moneypuck in their first game against Colorado, with their second shutout in a row, but in the one after they lose it to Vancouver in a shootout, making the Whalers the first team to control the Moneypuck two different times.

This time Vancouver is able to hold onto it for quite a few games, winning three against Detroit in surprisingly close games, and Maine once in a shootout, but end up giving it up to the team it started with, the Newfoundland Berserkers in a 2-0 game.

This time around, Newfoundland holds onto the Moneypuck for one game against Nevada, but ends up losing it somewhat ironically to the Maine Timber.

Similar to Newfoundland, Maine holds onto the Moneypuck for one game against Detroit after losing it immediately last time, but give it up the game after to Anchorage, 5-3.

The Anchorage Armada receive the Moneypuck and are able to hold onto it for two game in a row against the Anaheim Outlaws, but lose it to the Nevada Battleborn in a 3-1 game.

Nevada is able to put up another impressive run, going through Newfoundland, Colorado, and Maine, but run into the Vancouver Whalers, who they lose it to in a very close 3-2 loss.

In their 3rd time holding the Moneypuck, Vancouver loses it right away in a 2-1 game against the Kelowna Knights, making them the first new team to get it in awhile.

After getting the Moneypuck, Kelowna decides that they don't like change, and so they hand it over to Anchorage in a 3-1 game.

Anchorage also only controls the Moneypuck for one game, as they lose it in overtime to the first team they won it from, the Newfoundland Berserkers.

Newfoundland loses the game after this, giving it up to the Carolina Kraken who hasn't had the Moneypuck in awhile.

Carolina also loses the next game, and with all the exchanging of the Moneypuck I'm starting to think that this might not be a good game to play during Covid. The Colorado Raptors get the Moneypuck once again in a 4-2 victory.

Colorado also also loses the next game, and I'm also starting to think that having the Moneypuck is bad luck at this point. The Anaheim Outlaws get it back in a 6-4 win.

Anaheim only keeps the Moneypuck for one game, but this one I'm not as disappointed about, as the Detroit Falcons get it in a 7-6 game. This is Detroit's 6th chance to claim the Moneypuck, and as they say, 6th time is the charm.

If Detroit getting the Moneypuck wasn't great enough, they're also able to defend it pretty well. They fend off Nevada 6-5 and Newfoundland 9-2, but it seems like they used all their goalscoring power in this game as they hand it over to Kelowna in a 5-0 loss.

The Knights aren't able to defend the Moneypuck like Detroit, and like Detroit they seemed to have used up all their scoring in that game, as they lose the Moneypuck in the following game 3-0 against the Quebec City Citadelles.

This seems like a great place to stop since obviously the Citadelles are the best team and the one that deserves to win the Moneypuck the most. Since we like fairness though we'll keep going. Quebec City defends the Moneypuck against Anchorage and Newfoundland, but eventually lose it the game after to their expansion partner Nevada in a 4-0 loss.

Nevada plays the next game against the Quebec City Citadelles, who force the Battleborn to return the Moneypuck to them in a close 1-0 game.

The Citadelles are able to defend the Moneypuck decently well once again, winning the next few games against Nevada, Kelowna, and Anaheim, but since we haven't heard from Vancouver in awhile they take it back in a 2-1 game.

At this point only two games stand between the Vancouver Whalers and winning the Moneypuck. They beat Anchorage for their first game, but end up losing their final game 3-1 against the Newfoundland Berserkers, in what would become only their 3rd game controlling the Moneypuck.

Now Newfoundland has only two games between them and victory. In the second to last game they defeat the Carolina Kraken in a 6-5 shootout game. Now comes their final game, the Newfoundland Berserkers versus the Quebec City Citadelles. As Berserkers players will remember and Citadelles players will remember even more, the Berserkers ended up winning that game in what was a crushing defeat for the Quebec City Citadelles, 6-4 (since it made them have to play against Colorado instead of St. Louis in the playoffs).

The Newfoundland Berserkers end the regular season the way they started it, controlling the Moneypuck, which means that they are your Season 56 Moneypuck champions! Congratulations Newfoundland! Berserkers 

A few stats to end this media:
Whalers controlled it for 9 games, Battleborn controlled it for 9 games, Armada controlled it for 7 games, Citadelles controlled it for 7 games, Berserkers controlled it for 5 games, Timber controlled it for 3 games, Falcons controlled it for 3 games, Kraken controlled it for 2 games, Outlaws controlled it for 2 games, Raptors controlled it for 2 games, Scarecrows controlled it for 2 games, Knights controlled it for 2 games.
This means that every team had control of the Moneypuck at one point or another.
There were 53 games where the Moneypuck was in play, and 32 of those games were played by Vancouver, Nevada, Anchorage, and/or Quebec City.
There is a small correlation between number of Moneypuck games and points in the season, as you can see below:
[Image: wbqfZwb.png]

1412 words Heart

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

Ilike

[Image: 60133_s.gif]
[Image: W3cWGCN.png][Image: 3XEVZeB.png]
 Timber Steelhawks norway norway Steelhawks Timber  
Knights  Renegades norway   norway Renegades Knights